Is gaming programming hardest and most interesting of all other fields...

Is gaming programming hardest and most interesting of all other fields? Literally the only place where C++ dominates everything else and has no comparison (except level scripting).

Attached: download (8).jpg (303x167, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TH0tDGk19_c
youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw
youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ&index=2&list=PLmV5I2fxaiCKfxMBrNsU1kgKJXD3PkyxO&t=0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Game ENGINE programming seems like a challenging thing, but not plain "game programming" which is probably more like web dev.

game programming is literally just duct taping new assets onto decades-old engines and network protocols
all the people who actually did things moved on to more important things or died

But C++ doesn't dominate, C# does. Most companies aren't building their games from scratch anymore.

C++ is used in performance applications because it's the most popular language that compiles to native code. Popular meaning cheap labor and availability of libraries.

no, surprisingly, games programming is actually very very simple. Try creating a web browser from scratch to equal any of the well known web browsers. Try writing the kernel to an operating system from scratch. Even writing something simple like a word processor is far more difficult than some game.

Try Systems Programming fucking cianigger

I would say that compiler development is harder, but just as interesting as game engine programming.

What a fantastic thread, OP!

>but not plain "game programming" which is probably more like web dev.
From a courtesy glance, it looks far worse than anything webdev in terms of the stack.

Game programming is boring as fuck.

>C# dominates
HAHAHAHA
people make games in JAVA and WebGL now

renpy is easy for me
but im super expert

Attached: WARDROBE12.jpg (1285x825, 296K)

Have you ever heard of Unity?

Sigh

templates

I think fields like distributed systems or formal verification are harder and more interesting.

>formal verification

Who the fuck uses this thing?

That was literally the most useless course I took in college.

Game programming is fucking boring
You just use a GUI all the time, it's like using scratch but unironically.

The only ones that are even half decent are the ones who make AAA console games, or the best PC games like witcher 3. 99.9% of games aren't these games though. 99% of games run at shit performance and are a buggy absolute mess.

physics engine are good as well desu
pretty much the most interesting parts of game programming are the physics-engine-like ones

programming A.I., path-finding, that's the cool part of game development I imagine

>path-finding
that's a solved problem, nothing interesting in it

compilers

>hardest
>most interesting

There are over 100,000 games ever made. It's obviously not that hard. Interesting is subjective.

anything that lives or large amounts of money depend on,
youtube.com/watch?v=TH0tDGk19_c
also they overlap with proper distributed system design, since formal methods like TLA+ and model checkers are used system resiliency

I don't know if you can say C# dominates yet. I think EA is largely a C# shop now, and most companies do use C# for tools, but other than that, it seems like most popular games are straight-up written in C++.

I worked in games industry, programming Witcher 2 and 3 engine for CDPR and now I'm working in big investment bank on algo trading platforms and it's far far far more challenging, difficult and interesting.

Game A.I. is just a bunch of overcomplicated scripts, usually written by game designers in LUA or other scripting language.

building a game from scratch is easier than building a word processer from scratch?

collision detection/basic physics isn't a solved problem?

writing game is not fun at all, it's too much boring work.

C++ is not the best language for games, it's horrible. a bad language is bad, domain doesn't matter. that's why nobody wants touch C++ code, they abuse lua usage instead.

Any system that is critical. If you look away from meeming industries like webdev youll find a world where architecture and structure matter way more than pumping out the largest amount of diarrhea code.

Things like nuclear reactors, science facilities, military, air traffic controlling

>Game ENGINE programming
Is tricky, but it's not the hardest. That is probably lower level programming, such as with machine code or assembly code.

It's super interesting if you want to see how all the abstracted languages function at a lower level and then use exploited "holes" for legal purposes and definitely not illegal purposes.

Pretty sure I'm the only real game dev on Jow Forums

Making indie flash games doesn't count, fag.

It depends on what you're making, naturally.

A brainlet can piece together flappy bird over the weekend, but more involves projects will involve nontrivial usage and invention of network, graphics, tool, realtime, data structure, and AI programming at the least. The requirement for a game to be responsive, robust, and fast means that competency is paramount, else time. That said, game engines make a lot of this much easier.

If it isn't the most difficult, then it perhaps is the most broad in scope.

Ur mum is broad.

Emulators are the toughest. You need to be level 9999 autism to understand it.

Attached: 136CB822-8629-4630-9A61-703AB9AB96F9.png (1334x750, 1.24M)

what in shit is on on the left with the green text in the " "?

Bisqwit is great.

Its not that hard, just obtuse because you have to contort yourself into opengl's million kluges just to make it so it doesnt run like a snail.
The math is relatively simple though as long as you have it clear in your head.

Attached: 4CFB1C61-8C8A-41D0-B911-F0CA1E5439B6.jpg (1280x720, 58K)

You can only write code like that if you're an autistic hebrew christian finnish bus driver

Whaf is this gibberish

my hero
youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw

I wrote a 6502 emulator, and I can barely understand this. Is this purposefully autistic?

game engine programming is honestly not that hard. u just need to write:

memory manager (custom malloc/free), resource manager/loaders (textures, 3d models, audio, ...), user input, event-messaging system, 3d graphics renderer (shaders, culling, LOD, cameras, dynamic lighting, typically using clustered forward or deferred rendering), post-processing (anti-aliasing, bloom, HDR, ...), raycasting (scene BSP tree partitioning), animation system (bones, IK constraints, blend tracks), audio system (model 3d acoustics), physics system (rigid + soft bodies, broadphase grid into narrowphase tree, constraints, forces), tie the physics to animation (bone rigid body transform), UI system (menus, in game screens, ...), multiplayer/networking (UDP packet protocol, local prediction, game state sync), scripting language/editor + entity-component system for game level designers

then just make it run at 60 fps (16.67 ms) which is usually pretty easy, just a little simple multithreading

Some fucked up Bisqwit code. Can't argue with results though.

forgot basic architecture (pic related), see really not that many systems

Attached: simple_game_engine.png (1376x1639, 111K)

kill yourself pedo

Unity and GameMaker and even Unreal get more than C#

based

Yeah it's probably more interesting considering it uses lots of math, but gaming companies are among the most low paying and exploitative in the field. And you'll never be Toby Fox, get that out of your head

You use C# in unity though.

According to carmack, rocket science is easy compared to games (from his NASA speech)

Except none of the actual engine developers have more than maybe 2 of those skills at time. Also, game audio and physics are "mature" in the sense that the usual tricks and basic simulations haven't changed. They aren't developing anything novel. Actually you might as well say that for almost everything they do. Raycasting and raytracing were well defined in the early 80s; most raster techniques were developed by big SFX and CG houses in the 90s and even the new ones are literally just downstream of CG tweaks; audio and physics speak for themselves very well defined, and old, and most engines use a middleware like PhysX or Havok which double as actual simulators used in research and robotics. Game networking is nothing special, they're not processing and serving petabytes of data per second or anything and again pretty well defined, maybe 13 years ago.

Basically there's nothing special about it, you just have to dip your toes in more than one subject and read any number of well defined books that specialize in any of those subjects as they apply to gaming. Game engineers aren't creating physics simulators; they're not working on cutting edge SFX (seriously I recall a dev saying photogrammetry was a big development for games this decade LOL); they're not creating a high-performance server that requires sage-like knowledge of hardware and specific platforms; they're not on the cutting edge of web services or any of automated devops involved with that sort of stuff; they're not doing novel CS research.

Probably the most interesting and one of the few, actually novel things game devs do is hardware-specific optimizations on consoles. And you can bet that's like a handful of guys of the few that make engines to begin with.

In the sense of scale, because game engines are big beasts, but you could say that about ancient mainframes. It was probably a joke because rocket science makes up the difference in precision required for obvious reasons.

>no developers have skill to make game engine themselves
>but making game engine is nothing special

yeah because programming and technology clearly stuck on the 2000 dumbass

bisqwit is the sane version of terry

Trying to minor in math because game engine development has interested me for a long time. Really gotta do well in linear algebra this semester.

Is C++ the only skillset required to work on the algo trading thing ? How did you transition from gamedev to finance field ?

I interned in Japan making cashgrab anime mobile gacha games.
From my experience the two hardest challenges with game development are design and testing.
The actual coding is really just plugging pieces into place. Boring and time consuming but not difficult.

But I have pretty limited experience in the matter.

>something simple like a word processor is far more difficult than some game
bait

an actual game dev disagrees with you
youtube.com/watch?v=TH9VCN6UkyQ&index=2&list=PLmV5I2fxaiCKfxMBrNsU1kgKJXD3PkyxO&t=0s

'some game'

idiot