Hi Jow Forums, I want to get a DSLR but have no idea where to start. Can you recommend a good entry level one...

Hi Jow Forums, I want to get a DSLR but have no idea where to start. Can you recommend a good entry level one? I don't really know what to look for or... anything. I want to get a good one, but I don't need some insane professional-level one or something.

Attached: 71bIQNFsMUL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 119K)

Sony a7riii, or nothing.
You're welcome.

Nikon D3300

fuck off lmao

Okay. I'll be serious.
What are you hoping to accomplish, and what's your intended use case?
Off the top of my head without knowing any of your expectations I'll recommend
>OM-D E-M10 Mark III
or
>OM-D E-M10 Mark II
Because of features, and prices.

I just want to take usual pictures of my family and things like that, and also use it for pictures for my websites.

So it seems you think mirrorless is the way to go?

wrong board, faggot

>So it seems you think mirrorless is the way to go?
Usually, but I didn't suggest the Olympus jus, because it's mirrorless.
It's also just 16mp, micro for thirds, does decent photos, and 4k, and usually cheap, and has an okay lens selection.
If you just want to snap decent photos for cheap then you might as well check out the og Canon eosm, and magic lantern soft mod.

This. would know more than me on this subject.

canon 300d from dumpster, $50 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, move on to the better cameras when you'll realize what you need and what you want

/p/ doesn't have a gearfag general thread. Wat do?

look again

OP here, thanks for the replies boys you at least gave me somewhere to start

Most modern DSLR are pretty good in terms of picture quality, the sensors are often the same across various models of the same brand. So, you really pay more money for features and build. A higher end camera will be physically tougher and have more physical dials and buttons. If you are new start simple, entry level Nikon and Canon are both very good.
If you get into it you will upgrade, so start simple and get a feel for what you want, later you can blow all your money on something more specific.

autofocus is important, and higher tier cameras have better/more af. but overall i agree with your conclusion, going for the higher tier dslr is a huge improvement in comfort, not necessarily in quality

get a new d3400 or the entry level canon

the other alternative is to get an old used one, but you're gambling with your luck there

how much money do you want to sink in?
a7iii + tamron 28-75mm f2.8

if poor,
fujifilm xt20 + 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit lens.

if poorer,
used sony a6000 + kit lens + sigma 30mm f2.8

if even poorer,
canon eos m + 18-55mm + 22mm f2.

Unless you're going to use one professionally, there's just no use to it. You're better off with a small digital camera or phone with a high resolution and a load of software correction tools.

just go for one of the canon rebel series cameras. get whatever version fits your budget. theres differences between them but at your level, the differences wont really matter.

Doesn't exist.

>entry level
>good one
make up your fucking mind.
Entry level - nikon D3x00
Good affordable - nikon D7500
Go in middle and get D5x00
These all are crops. So cheap, light and good enough (there is no need for full frame unless you are going pro)

Oh. And if you can get new D7200 for more than 30% less what D7500 costs - BUY AND AND DON'T THINK TWICE.

there is no replacement for displacement.
just get a cheap apsc mirrorless or compact.

Just one rule: buy SECOND HAND.
Too many people buy brand new DSLR's only to sell them when they get bored with photography.
So 2nd hand market is full of great deals.

Biggest choice is to go with Nikon or Canon, since that will determine what lenses you can use.
Pentax makes nice cameras too, but the platform has no lenses so avoid.

>used sony a6000 + kit lens + sigma 30mm f2.8
This is me. This is literally my setup right here

>there is no need for full frame unless you are going pro

Yes there is: shitloads of cheap old lenses.
Plus a full-frame viewfinder is much nicer to look through, adding a lot of joy to your hobby.

>autofocus
disgusting

It's nicer to have it then to not have it

Used 50D of you want a good body but only photo, 550D for a cheap mediocre body with good picture/video quality, 60D for both
18-55 if you don't know what you're doing and 35f2/50f1.8 if you want to learn with decent cheap lenses

>higher end camera will be physically tougher and have more physical dials and buttons. If you are new start simple

This is a contradiction:
More physical buttons makes it easier to use, greatly reducing the learning curve.
"entry level" DSLR's require a lot more skill and knowledge to use properly, so people end up leaving them on full-auto.

As a learning tool the best thing you can buy is a professional level DSLR that's a few generations old.
Probably a Nikon D700 or Canon 5Dmk2. (original 5D is probably a bit too old now)

The focus screens in DSLR's aren't optimized for manual focus.
You cannot physically check the focus on them them below about f/2.8.

Plus there is nothing wrong with using back button AF with a single focus point. - same level of control as manual focus just much faster.

>cheap lens
use them on crop. Crop can use full frame lens.
with crop you also get shitload of new cheap lens.

>viewfinder
buying into more expensive system with more expensive lenses for bit bigger viewfinder while you are just trying out photography? Yah. Good plan.

5300. It’s a d7200 with just a slightly slower FPS

>gearfag general
>/gear/ - 'PRIME'time EDITION
Oh no no no. The modern state of /p/.
This reminds me of that user who tried to push /Chinese Shopping General/ on Jow Forums a while back.

>while you are just trying out photography? Yah. Good plan.

As long as you buy 2nd hand you can sell everything for roughly the same amount when you get bored with it.
Buying brand new crop garbage is the real money trap.

It's just the title of a thread, who fucking cares

>It's just the title of a thread, who fucking cares
It just became Redditapproved, who cares?

You should really think long and hard about the importance of the things that bother you

You should really think long and hard about the importance of not being a fucking faggot. Kill yourself, queer.

Yiking at this rn

Attached: really.jpg (750x1000, 850K)

See
>You should really think long and hard about the importance of not being a fucking faggot. Kill yourself, queer.
God hates you, and God laughs when you die.

panasonic s1r

Attached: .jpg (1200x800, 258K)

Drink bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you fucking failed abortion.

this is good advice op

There is no god, you shit smear queer. You deserve to be burned alive and buried in a land fill with the rest of the garbage.

>He got this angry over a thread title
Whatever nerd

Attached: you rudy.png (555x253, 33K)

Those are two different anons.
>Same disgusting brain damaged faggot.
Slit your belly while getting thrown off of a mountain cliff you dirty tranny.

I have a canon t6 for sale over on reddit at r/photomarket for $210. It is the one located in GA.

Go back.

This is my home :(

Canon EOS 200D. The entire software experience is designed to explain to retarded nubcakes what the numbers mean as you use it so hopefully you learn SOMETHING about photography. Has Canon's latest and greatest DIGIC processor, the same one in their mainline cameras that cost 4x as much as the 200D. Best in the market segment autofocus. Uses the world's most common lens mount. Can be found on eGay for cheap. It's the perfect starter.

>This is my home :(
>Jow Forumsetard account holder

it doesnt fucking matter, its the lenses, not the camera

/p/ doesn't have a gearfag general thread anymore.

you dumb?

Are you fucking retarded?
>/gear/
That is not a gearfag general thread.

I have this Ricoh 500 rangefinder camera from the late 50s was thinking of taking some cool black & white photos with. Do places like Walmart or Costco still develop 35mm film or should I just learn how to do it myself?

Attached: 20190201_213129.jpg (1000x750, 580K)

i hate you

>i hate you
The emotional virgin faggot from Reddit vs the Chad user

brainlet

Faggot

Canon SL2

I have a canon SX50 and that's enough for me
I've heard good things about olympus if you got the cash though.

I still use Canon D60, good enough for me you might find something older like this on auction sites or garage sale type places for very cheap but I am just an amateur fag who photographs abandoned places.

Ops wrong D it is 60D

Beginner friendly: Canon 200D