/mkg/ thread. What's your excuse for not using a HHKB?

/mkg/ thread. What's your excuse for not using a HHKB?
I'm personally autistic and own 3.

Attached: hhkb.jpg (547x640, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-tkl-tenkeyless-customized
youtu.be/wKsxd-K5CfQ
aliexpress.com/store/product/YMDK-Fully-Programmable-CNC-Sanwich-Case-Plate-Acrylic-Frame-PCB-Stabilizers-Support-ANSI-ISO-DIY-Kit/429151_32846088297.html
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nl3D0wIqf3tU43bu0mc0LSkxeh2CxGrchr_OViEjZ4c/htmlview
massdrop.com/
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
keypuller.com
web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why are basedmale """tech""" enthusiasts so obsessed with these shitty keyboards?

There's several reason why I like this keyboard so much.
I'm a heavy Emacs user since college and this keyboard is really good at supporting that. I may not use Emacs itself for most of my coding now a days but the keybindings are ingrained in me at this point and I have an obsession to propagate to all the tooling I use. And I still make an effort at bringing more and more of my workflow into Emacs still.
And I appreciate just how efficient this layout is, there's some really smart features about his layout like the arrow keys and delete key location. It's almost perfect, but they should've swapped the super and ctrl location on this keyboard.

is this some shitty pasta?

No I'm just autistic and these are my true thoughts.

I wanted to buy one but it becoming yellow with the time is a big turn off to me. The black version looks terrible compared to the white one.

You can fix the yellowing but personally I like how it looks. It probably didn't help the board that I used to smoke heavily while coding on it in college.

>paying $350 for rubberdomes
SHIGGYDIGGY

Neither shill nor fanboy nor buyer-remorse-rationaliser

>same layout
>that size difference

Am I going crazy? Are the keys different sizes or some shit? The bottom one is obviously a good bit older.

Yeah but you're obviously a brainlet/pleb.

Nah it's because of the angle of the picture I took. They're the same size.
I've had the bottom keyboard for over a decade now, the manufacturing date is 2008.

Not rubber domes, ~Topre~ uwu

the new ones fixed the yellowing problem by not using ABS

pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-tkl-tenkeyless-customized

is there a better option for a TKL hotswappable FULL RGB board? This one seems perfectly fine but I just don't like that white outline that surrounds the board

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 2.15.43 PM.png (660x402, 274K)

That's one of the very few affordable hotswappable prebuilt TKL boards on the market right now.

Why do you want RGB senpai?

Help so i don't regret my decision later.

Attached: AWCAS.jpg (500x1000, 117K)

I've had a Poker 2 before and was very dissapointed. The keycaps are really bad

Get which ever one is fully programmable

>What's your excuse for not using a HHKB?
Non-split is shit.

I like backlighting. I'm not interested in crazy rainbow effects and shit, but I want the ability to have any color backlighting I want.

The one I have now has a few color options, and the purple just does not match my purple keycaps, I want the ability to slightly adjust it to preference

>one of the very few
what are some others? I'm interested in less affordable ones too

Because I don't like the layout. I have a Ducky One 2 Mini instead.

>micro usb

but I do own an HHKB Pro2 that is over a decade old and piss yellow (bad lighting)

Attached: 20190202_155521.jpg (2048x1152, 718K)

I work from home and having something full-size for all the hotkeys I need makes life easier.

Dude clean your keycaps that's fucking filthy.

Massdrop had one or two, I think.

i've never understood how people use mini keyboards seriously (less than TKL).
you don't alt+f4 often? f5 to refresh? even the fucking del key requires the fn key

Consumerists gonna consume.

It's easy on the HHKB imho to do everything you're describing.

the point is that exceedingly common commands often require 3+ simultaneous keys to be pressed.
how is that efficient?

>I need to press ctrl+alt+shift+f4 as a shortcut.
>Have to press ctrl+alt+shift+fn+f4 instead

This keyboard is for unproductive autists.

Alt+F4 is actually easier on a small keyboard, as you don't have to stretch your fingers as far.

I have arrow and delete/insert.
alt f4 -> alt caps 4
f5 -> caps 5

I guess I make up for it from efficiency gains from other shortcuts. But ctrl+alt+shift just requires an additional fn press from my right hand. And it's easier to do since the fn layer is on the number row which is closer.
I swap the CTRL and Super keys so the above shortcut is fairly easy to do with my left hand.

I have a ducky shine 2 with some non-working keys - f1, f5, f8, scrolllock on the first row, and 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, backspace, home, /, - on the second.
Obviously it's a pattern, so there's something wrong with the board. What should I check? Is it going to be a broken controller, or something fixable with a soldering iron?

how often do you actually unplug your keyboard?
it's affordable but it's not great. Any switches that aren't made to be quiet will sound like shit, even after stuffing some insulation in the over-cramped case.
Other than that it's a good board, haven't had any issues beyond it sounding cheap

>it sounding cheap
Personally I think all MX switches sound cheap.

if your argument is "it works well for me" then that's hard to argue with, but conceptually speaking when i look at my tkl i think i use the vast majority of my keys not infrequently, and at this point conserving more space becomes inefficient
memorizing a bunch of contrived unintuitive hotkeys doesn't seem like a very convincing solution

umm...multiple times every day? if you study/work that tends to happen

the gmmk really amplifies the cheapness because it's hollow, lightweight plastic

lol ok thx

>memorizing a bunch of contrived unintuitive hotkeys doesn't seem like a very convincing solution
So I think the strength of the HHKB is that the fn layer is fairly intuitive by design. It's definitely a unique setup but I think it was thoughtfully planned. I don't exactly use it because it saves space, the close proximity of some of the keys honestly makes it more efficient for me, as in it keeps my hands on the homerow far more than other keyboards.

>memorizing a bunch of contrived unintuitive hotkeys
it's literally just caps to do function row.
Also I make the keymap myself, so I know exactly where stuff is.

ok, i guess i could see that making sense for some people.
i fear exposing myself solely to this niche set up

I don't like the look of the newerones.

>no numpad
it's trash

The keyboard was definitely designed for a different era, I think it works incredibly well if you're a Emacs/Vim user though.

What newer ones?

Are you an accountant? I've never felt the need for a numpad when I'm programming.

I sold mine.
It's terrible.
Especially if you don't have an aftermarket controller.

I use Planck now.

Attached: IMG_20181124_110353.jpg (4048x3036, 2.79M)

technically yes but i work in local government

Ortholinears seem really uncomfortable tbqh. I can't say I haven't been curious but I don't get the appeal.

I'm so sorry user, peace be with you

The only thing worse than the HHKB is the 60%

>Ortholinears seem really uncomfortable tbqh
It's the other way around for me.
I'm currently waiting for an ortholinear split kit.
As an added bonus, you can easily program numpad anywhere you want.

Attached: nuh8kgdfdg211.png (2043x663, 152K)

can anyone recommend me a mechanical keyboard that is:
TKL
good built quality
not shit gamery aesthetic

remember, it's your duty to make a r*ddit account, subscribe to their mechanical keyboard basedfest, and downvote everything smaller than TKL

ones new enough to have usb calble on them. labeling and key texture is different.

>60% layout
>le minimalist
>japanese premium
>unique switch mechanism ruined by the price
>"it's the end game keyboard"

There are better keyboards, but none are more overrated than hhkb and topre.

I don't know what you mean? The boards I posted were made in 2008 and 2017. They both have usb cables. I dunno about the key textures since my old one has kinda worn out by now.

I'd recommend putting a 60% together yourself; the components are completely standard, you can choose your own switches and caps, and most PCBs are fully programmable.

I don't need one, they're expensive and a waste of money.

Are Cherry Reds a good starter switch? I'm still not super familiar them. I use a shitty AmazonBasics $10 keyboard right now.

I had a keyboard with blue switches which was cool at first but then the sound started pissing me off so I gave it to my roommate.

I don't play games or anything, just shitpost and break my linux installation, and sometimes program

Attached: qDCvfMr.png (640x480, 149K)

I tried Topre switches and they suck. I couldn't imagine wasting that much money for rubber dome with sliders.

Topres, Buckling springs, or Alps are the only decent switches.

MX linears are good when lubed. Don't bother with clicky or tactile variants, they're all shit without exception.

My excuse is I own a Unicomp model M with a ps/2 connector :^)

Because I have pok3r

got the ducky one 2 tkl recently and i really like it. simple, low bs keyboard, no shitty drivers, nice keycaps. build quality is decent for a full plastic keyboard, doesnt flex around if you bend it, slightly squeaky at the points where two plastic parts are connected however.

why do you shill mechanical keyboards?
they're loud as fuck.

(You)

Attached: 1545353360587.jpg (638x1000, 63K)

are your ears made of sóy?

>I'm autistic
No you are just a soiboi retarded crossdresser with programming stocks

I need a left control key.

Who uses this cancer keyboard

You mean right control, right?

It has a left control key, it's right where the caps lock would normally go.

youtu.be/wKsxd-K5CfQ

Attached: 36121146553_f15729aecd_b.jpg (1024x681, 234K)

I get most of your statement but
>programming stocks
What does this mean?

I've never cross dressed but I am a small Asian man, I bet I could do it.

Attached: 36929313715_cd6b2b5a4f_o.jpg (3008x2000, 3.33M)

Will I even notice the difference between a plate mount and a pcb mount? I understand that plate mount is more durable but unless an ape is typing I can't see the pcb breaking, am I missing something?.

Attached: 1548892167647.jpg (315x648, 34K)

PCB mount has more flex when typing and a different sound, may be desirable

Don't know the answer, but I was wondering the exact same user, thanks for bringing it up.

There will be more flex, but durability is a meme. The G80 has been plateless for 30+ years and people continue using them for industrial use

>professional
Professional what? Professional money spender?

> no function keys
> no windows button
Why wasnt I using it again? Ow yea, cause Im not some pic related neet using Arch or some other nonsense system.

Attached: g.jpg (1280x752, 202K)

I'm looking for a kit for my first build. Anyone here have experience with this one?

aliexpress.com/store/product/YMDK-Fully-Programmable-CNC-Sanwich-Case-Plate-Acrylic-Frame-PCB-Stabilizers-Support-ANSI-ISO-DIY-Kit/429151_32846088297.html

How is it? Other than the switches, caps, and cable, is there anything else I'd need to get in order to use it? Seems like it comes with the PCB and stabs, but you never can be too careful with these chink websites.

doubleshot ABS caps too, imagine that

Attached: maxresdefault(12).jpg (1280x720, 99K)

But it has all those things?

Also
>using windows

Not sure if right thread, buti have a QMK question.
In the layer_state_set_user function, the macro IS_LAYER_ON(layer) seems to lag one behind. Anyone know what i might be doing wrong?
I.e if i toggle layer 1 on, upon startup, nothing happens the first click, but the second click a led is turned on, this check is done with if(IS_LAYER_ON(LAYER0)) {LED_on();} . However, i also have a macro key that prints whether or not layer 1 is on, and it always reports the correct state (and uses the same code as the one described above).

Attached: 1489218694139.jpg (786x1024, 632K)

I don't play video games on my computer nor do I watch anime anymore. You take that back motherfucker, my PHD in CS was totally worth it.

It does have a dedicated windows button tho

come on op, post the links

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nl3D0wIqf3tU43bu0mc0LSkxeh2CxGrchr_OViEjZ4c/htmlview
massdrop.com/
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

previous:

post your adult keyboards

Attached: 20190122_194904a.jpg (1440x1080, 749K)

No, I don't believe in "general threads". I remember when /a/ was plagued with 10+ general threads crowding the front page constantly. I dunno why enforcement of this got loosened, I took a several year break, I always like the fluid/dynamic aspect of conversations on Jow Forums.

You best start believing in general threads, user. You're in one.

No, I just made a thread to discuss mechanical keyboards. Actually to clarify, I don't like persistent general threads. Once this thread dies there's no need to immediately spin up a successor.

pok3r because aluminium and pbt keycaps if you don't get gay rgb other wise they will be shit keycaps like the anne and ducky. The other ones are plastic frame for 100$ nice.

I'm a semi-pro gamer (made about $11k in 2018) and about to start a CS degree at university. Im looking to get a 60% keyboard, but with function keys, no numpad or ins prtscrn pgup etc. I want it to be short so i have mousepad space (i do the gay sideways keyboard thing a lot of CS:GO players do. Previous keyboard was a Corsair K70 Rapidfire (pic related) I liked the short actuation distance. Not worried about noise, and am more than happy to spend lots of money on a keyboard that will last me 5+ years. Where should I start?

Attached: received_365348940718120.jpg (1506x1080, 133K)

hmm....seems like adult

Then why did you call it a general in the OP

Sorry, generals are fine, just not the annoying persistent/daily ones.