How would a Linux phone even work

How would a Linux phone even work
Linux is a desktop OS
All the programs are for desktop
I could see an entirely terminal based phone working

Attached: linux-phone.jpg (750x500, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/n72NEk3TNRM
techrepublic.com/article/snapchat-opens-4-apis-to-developers-heres-how-you-can-use-them-in-your-business/
postmarketos.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Android is based on Linux.

You can compile open source software for (((ARM))) yourself.

Linux is a kernel. The Linux kernel actually supports a more diverse range of hardware than any other kernel. Also, many open source userlands for mobile have been written for Linux. The hard part is getting carrier support and running the last mile of GUI implementation.

>How would a Linux phone even work
this board is getting more retarded as the years roll by.

Attached: 1544387527171.png (439x588, 251K)

I already have one. It has Android installed.

There are various DEs for mobile use, like plasma mobile,that gnome thing from purism and some niche wayland DEs from now defunkt phone companies. They have applications for typical phone usage. You can literally install them on your desktop right now if you want.

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

Linux is a kernel

>what is Android
Terminal based phone would be lit though.

As someone who has been here since before the boards inception, nigga you have no idea.

>Android is based on Linux.
it may appear that way but it's sort-of not

Android kernels are typically based on a linux kernel stripped down to a few million lines of code and then they add a few million lines of proprietary code as well as binary blob drivers on top of that. when you replace the cpu scheduler and lots of the memory management code and things like that.. it's not really Linux anymore.

It's not wrong to say that Android phones are running a Linux kernel. It's also fair to question just how much of an old Linux kernel you can replace before it's something different.

Yea typing in all that case sensitive shit on a tiny keyboard just to see what’s in the folder is sooo lit. Fuck

>what are suggestions

>how much of an old Linux kernel you can replace before it's something different.
It's 90% similar to Linux outside of android. What's different are drivers because guess what, it runs on completely different hardware. You can open your native terminal on android and see which commands it supports. It supports most commands that aren't directly related to GNU.

>All the programs are for desktop
Those are GNU you fucking termite.

The AOSP says something else, but whatever. Of course it's retarded to expect to run a mainline kernel on an embedded junk without any bugs, but android kernel isn't that far from the mainline. There is a project for using droid runtime without major modification too, but most of the shit google did with the kernel is nothing more than finetuning as they are retarded for kernel development (just look at the little kernel). The "blobs" are soc specific, but vanilla android is free software.

It doesn't matter if it would work or not, there's no real market for one and that's the issue.

>what is tab completion

there are phone/tablet DEs like GNOME

>how much of an old Linux kernel you can replace before it's something different.
It's 90% similar to Linux outside of android. What's different are drivers because guess what, it runs on completely different hardware. You can open your native terminal on android and see which commands it supports. It supports most commands that aren't directly related to GNU.

>Android doesn't exist

Meant for

Get lost

>Linux is a
kernel you motherfucker

Look up Ubuntu Phone. It had promise, used Unity to make it nice and fluid.

Oh shit I just looked it up myself. They repicked it up.

youtu.be/n72NEk3TNRM

> Linux is a desktop OS
Are you fucking stupid? Fuck off nigger

id just like to interject for a moment
what you're referring to as android is in fact google/linux or as ive recently taken to calling it google+ linux google is not an operating system unto itse
SEG FAULT

what is unity and why is it the most based tablet de there is

>what is tab
>what is FISH

Snapchat just opened it's API to devs. Any Ubuntu Touch bros wanna build an HTML version of Snapchat with me assuming they allow everything? I'm thinking SnapLite.

techrepublic.com/article/snapchat-opens-4-apis-to-developers-heres-how-you-can-use-them-in-your-business/

What do you mean? Linux isn't a desktop OS, it's a kernel.

>Linux is a desktop OS
>desktop
weird way to mistype "server"

I think he means it's not really regarded as a phone OS, he just worded it retardedly. (Except Android is Linux)

see postmarketos.org/
xfce works pretty well on a phone. These guys are even running i3 on a N900.

Attached: I3wm-n900.jpg (640x422, 38K)

Of course it isn't a phone OS, Linux isn't an OS.

Guys I've been thinking. iOS and Android are shitty lowgrade lightweight operating systems because handheld technology it started out on was shitty and lowgrade.

We're getting to the point where these 800 to 1000 dollar phones are better than most laptops in hardware. Now think about how far these phones came in the last 5 years hardware wise, and especially how far they've come since the first iphone in 2007.

We're getting to the point where these low grade softwares made for lowgrade handheld devices are no longer needed because the handhelds are becoming so much better. When this time comes, it'll be time to start moving on to desktop OS's like Ubuntu.

We need to take advantage of this upcoming boom and start prepping.

Linux is what they call the operating system made out of Linux terminal.

Attached: file.png (1150x415, 150K)

Oh, you mean GNU/Linux

No, I mean Linux. I do not have a single GNU package installed on my system. Why should I call it GNU?

Yes you do.

Why are you replying "No, I mean" to that guy who was replying to me?

You're making it sound like you were the one who wrote instead of me

Attached: file.png (1195x400, 98K)

This shit is irrelevant. ARM is cancer and no effort should be made to "improve" all the proprietary devices using it.

so decent phone/sms apps will need to be written, that's a given.

But a tiling wm with some configuration could already go a long way. Sway is currently receiving support for configurable touch gestures.

- status bar on top with information and tray icons
- status bar on bottom with buttons for basic controls
- default to 1 app per workspace or forced fullscreen for the focused program
- 3-finger gestures for switching workspaces/tiling modes
- some launcher that processes mouse(and therefore touch) input.

You won't get fancy transition animations but who cares. And you'll get most of your "phone apps" through responsive websites

yea i was considering a linux phone but I need uber but I was glad to learn you can use uber in the browser