If universities started teaching programming with Haskell or Lisp instead of Java and C/C++ or Python...

If universities started teaching programming with Haskell or Lisp instead of Java and C/C++ or Python, do you think we'd shift to a better timeline?

Attached: Armin_in_shock_from_Eren's_death.jpg (1920x1080, 694K)

I learned Scheme in functional programming class, what kind of self respecting university doesn't have a functional programming class?

software quality would improve greatly, mostly because the brainlets would drop out.

if your university doesn't teach about all the paradigms and allow you to come to an informed decision about what to use on your own, you go to a shit school

universities used to teach lisp
also i know some teach haskell, not in intro to programing 101 tho
whats taught on university has nothing do to with the world outside academia
anyway why do you think it would be better?

the software quality sucks because dropouts still get employed

>desperate oopsies know their paradigm is garbage but still want to ram it down everyone's throat

They used to teach lisp everywhere and still no one choose to use it after because purely functional programming is a shitty meme

I learned both in a programming languages class in school last year,

computer science IS the brainlet major, dumbass. you were too stupid to study math, and too much of a cuck to study electrical or computer engineering. You just decided one day while sipping on a venti sœybœy latte "gee wilikers, I have autism and I use the computer a lot, maybe I'll study computer science!" and here you are now.

Uh, I learned Scheme/Racket in my 1A term of university. We still learned C++ because knowing all the paradigms is useful and gl in the job market without knowing one of C++/C#/Java.

My university started with haskell as first language and it was not a good idea..

>le electrical engineering means you're smarter than CS
You can tell this dumb meme is pushed by someone who has never actually taken any EE classes.

>You can tell this dumb meme is pushed by someone who has never actually taken any EE classes.
I got a double major in math and EE. I took a single CS class (algorithms) and my peers would constantly whine about having to take calculus and probability.

Not my fault you went to a shit school. QQ

>whats taught on university has nothing do to with the world outside academia
While this is true every teacher I've had was so hellbent on the 'real world' that that's most of the reason why I dropped out.
>writing an e-commerce site in PHP where you can put things into your cart and do nothing else is good real-world excercise
Practical e-commerce platforms are something originally borne of lisp code.

Lisp is not purely functional and imperative code is responsible for almost every flaw in software that's not design related.
Lisp is also used in practically every field of business logic programming, but its' use is treated like a trade secret. The only place where lisp isn't used in a meaningful way is matters directly related to computers themselves because those problems are meaningless if they don't have real-world uses.

>Practical e-commerce platforms are something originally borne of lisp code.
based and paulgraham pilled

not my fault CS undergrads are brainletted turbo autists

at your school

at good schools, CS is one of the most competitive programs and thus has the highest academic standards for entry (due to supply/demand)

nobodoy teaches a functional language as the first language

but math and ee, user. MATH and EE.

UCB does

Waterloo does.

what language was it?

good schools do

universities with women's studies

My programming languages course taught in scheme, haskell and prolog and it was the greatest experience in my academic life, this was a year or more

Racket (a purely functional variant of Scheme) for Waterloo, I think it's the same for Berkeley except they use Scheme as well.

>FP
Oh fuck no no no no no no...
Thank God this didn't happen and we have people capable of understanding what a program state is.

*nobody teaches declerative paradigm before imperative

State is explicit in FP and you must deal with it. Not like non-FP languages which will happily let you remain ignorant and shit the bed. Educate yourself if you even can, drone.

Good schools do.

no, we wouldn't. what universities teach has no impact on reality

yes but swap haskell with erlang

No, don't. Stop trying to dumb down CS.

Computer scientists make more on average than kids with those other degrees. Stay low value, noob

But I am trying to make it better

Better than the current Java/Python shitshow? Yes.
Better than Haskell/Lisp? No.

if your uni has both C++ and Java, which one do you pick?

a different uni

OP here

Erlang is pretty good

not as good as haskell. unis should teach prolog -> haskell -> agda. if companies want people to use shitlangs then they can train grads themselves

how is erlang shit?

>Good schools do.

Attached: 902824E4-A0A5-4D46-B033-0052ED4C2A7B.gif (405x270, 2M)

I'm working with people who graduated Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering and have years in the professional field. They always consider CS (aka software and system design) more important and the electronics part as the dumb part.

Can confirm.

This is not really the fault of CS as a field. CS as been bastardized to no end.

CS is basically the biggest subfield of constructive mathematics and then some. Yet it has been reduced to le meme algos and datastructures.

we never should have allowed industry to dictate curricula

Universities are full of leftists that suck corporate dick. They'er going to teach what their masters tell them to.

I live in a third world country but the uni I went to, teaches langs/paradigms in this order:

>C (structural programming)
>Java (OOP)
>Lisp/racket (functional programming)
>prolog (logic programming)

of course, we also learn about webdev, mobile dev, networking and other shit, but to teach the basic paradigms those are the langs used.

What's wrong with Java?

Functional programming is for math majors anf then they would use hot cock or whatever.

He's not wrong, IT in general is kinda brainier tier and I'd be doing math if not for a lack of jobs for maths grads

They do teach Lisp? I learned common lisp/ocaml in several programming language classes.

If you don't understand that minimizing, or better, eliminating mutable state is a good thing, you probably don't understand what a "program state" is yourself.

no, because most colleges still operate on a for-profit model

One of my professors is a Lispfag is his code is absolutely garbage, unreadable, overly complicated, pretentious, without comments. That's why he's in academia and research and not real production.

pro-tip: if your lambda function has over 2 lines, define your goddman function in another place

Mind sharing some snippet, if possible?

>You just decided one day while sipping on a venti sœybœy latte "gee wilikers, I have autism and I use the computer a lot, maybe I'll study computer science!" and here you are now.
And it was the best decision of my life

>lambda function has over 2 lines, define your goddman function in another place
Why?

Attached: 1490434324788.jpg (1080x1920, 532K)

CS isn't about programming so I don't blame him.
>pro-tip: if your lambda function has over 2 lines, define your goddman function in another place
What?

At MIT I took a Scheme class. They wanted everyone to use edwin lol

>Electrical engineering
>CS more important than electronics related knowledge

lmao

Attached: download.png (201x250, 5K)

Lol no it’s cause idiots with cs degrees are getting paid to build software