>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti | If you can't afford to spend 350 dollar on a CPU go with AMD.
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices for older, less demanding or very well optimized titles
>RTX 2060 thanks to 6gb vram only good for 1080p or as a short-term solution; consider 1070/Ti or Vega56 ONLY if on sale
1440p
>RTX 2070; consider 1070/Ti or Vega 56 ONLY if on sale
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice but Vega7 launch is soon so better wait
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: 1516292398742.png (392x309, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LWhLgw
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-p2014h/pd
pcpartpicker.com/user/outdies/saved/HjvJ8d
pcpartpicker.com/list/nRLLgw
pcpartpicker.com/list/HGWLgw
noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit
pcpartpicker.com/list/8Qj9dX
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-270X-vs-AMD-RX-580/2188vs3923
userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-Siege/3859/153864.0.Max.1080p.0
pcpartpicker.com/list/W9NHTB
pcpartpicker.com/list/Lt83GG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Navi will suck

Why is AMD so good with CPUs but so shit with GPUs?

Third for Navi will not suck but that won't matter because people want a GEFORCE GTX anyway.

(You)
hlp

>RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>Now that nvidia supports freesync
Cringe.

>Now that nvidia supports freesync
on 10 out of almost 300 monitors, fuck off pajeet

Ok guys been out of the game for a while, first pc I ever built was in 2008, and then did some upgrades in 2015, now, im wanting to start fresh again. The current pc I have I am planning to use it as a second pc for recording my games, and maybe do two pc streaming setup. (I already have a weaker pc doing that)

So I made a list, I am liking this whole RGB stuff going on (I know shit on me about it, wont change my mind) and I read OP, and some of my choices on hardware was decent.

Anyways, my budget is 2000 dollars USD (US dollar) I will be using this for gaming, and video editing (my gaming videos) I wanted to do SLI to help with exporting the videos, but it seems its more CPU intensive, and also SLI seems like a meme still. My monitors are 1080p, and both use HDMI (what the fuck is display port? I figured hdmi would be more common on video cards) I will just need the tower and OS. I would like to have a cpu closed loop watercooling system, but I am not set in on it, if still using a big block fan cooler is fine, we can stick with that. im open to either or.

This is the list I was working on.

BTW I am open to swapping parts, user from previous thread asked me about the cpu choice. I just didnt notice there was a newer generation.
pcpartpicker.com/list/LWhLgw

Attached: 1478968200600.jpg (1240x1754, 692K)

Because consumers can find some use for a server-grade CPU but not so much for an HPC-grade GPU.

Pls rate.

Attached: build.png (1209x659, 68K)

Yeah but it turns out freesync is fucking garbage and 90% of "freesync" monitors don't actually work without nasty brightness flicker, artificating or worse.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923

580 is identical to 1060 for the types of usecases at 1080 with more vram

>1kw PSU
FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

Attached: budget pc gaming.png (2493x834, 755K)

you definitely do not need 1000w

you probably don't need a 1k watt psu. what monior(s) are you using? can you post a pcpartpicker link?

>intel
depreciated entry level cpu

F U T U R E P R O O F

Literal fucking facts mate.
Turns out the 5 people who use AMD cards didn't even bother trying freesync. Meanwhile nvidia users have compiled spreadsheets on every freesync monitor on the market with test results.

I don't want to live in a future where we need 1KW PSUs tbqfhwu

you could get a vega 7 instead and oc that thing if you really wanted to utlize the 1k power. it comes out in 5 days so it shouldn't be a long wait

Literally never had any artifacting or flicker on my monitor keep lying on the internet though, i bet nvidia will pay you back someday.

Yeah I'm sure you don't... on the desktop with freesync disabled.
Try actually testing it.

I don't think my current corsair cx650 will be enough for an RTX.

Are intelfags still in hardcore denial mode about 16 core 5ghz cpus?

Attached: thiskillstheintelfag.png (252x171, 56K)

exporting has to do with cpu/ram. if you're going to be exporting a lot of shit, then i'd go for 32gb. the difference between display port and hdmi are negligible, but the most graphics cards (including the one you lsited) only have 1 hdmi port, unless you're monitors are relatively old, they probably have display port

>

Yes, it will.
That's not an AMD card.

you're computer's gonna be less efficient though

Running a 2600x with a cooler master gammaxx 400 and was wondering why I dont see lower temperatures between ~1000rpm and 1500rpm. The temperatures aren't high, roughly 70C when running prime95 but was just curious that setting the cpu fan higher made no difference. Is it because I'm at the limit of what the heatsink can dissipate?

I'm not going to buy a monitor and plan to use my old Dell P2014H which is most comfortable for me.

Fan speeds increase, cooling power increases, clock speeds go up to match so temps stay the same. That's how AMD's boost system works.

Hey Jow Forumsents, i need an advice i am fucking itching to sell my gtx 1070 before Nvidia gimps it to hell and no one wants to buy it, and get an RX 590 in the meantime since all iv'e seen is that AMD keeps getting better with every driver release, my GTX 1070 sometimes downclocks to 139mhz on some games even after DDU and latest drivers so i am guessing the fucking gimping began when the RTX 2060 launched...is it logical? or i am being paranoid as fuck?

Thanks user. I checked the back of my monitors and found a vga, hdmi, and dvi....

Looks like I'll be riding single monitor until I buy newer monitors with display ports.

dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-p2014h/pd
wait so you're planning on getting a monster pc for 1600 by 900 60hz? you can run games at ultra settings at that resolution with midrange parts. I suggest toning doe
wn the build and buying a new monitor. since you'll get way more out of it than buying expensive parts for a low-end monitor

So I finally finished my 10-year upgrade two nights ago.
Speccy was saying my cpu was at 110c even though my mobo was reading it at 43c

pcpartpicker.com/user/outdies/saved/HjvJ8d

Attached: 50881511_276077653302675_3891964432942628864_n.jpg (2048x1024, 235K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/nRLLgw

You can drop 1 ram kit but it looks like you need a lot of ram.

Upgrading temporarily from a fx8350 to a 2600 because I can't stand it anymore. But I'm probably going to get a Zen 2 when it drops

pcpartpicker.com/list/HGWLgw

this is what I came up with. Would upgrading my PSU be a good idea as well? I've been using the same 550w one since 2013

Also theres a note at the bottom saying I need a adapter for the Noctua cooler I already have, any idea what that is?
I already had a stick of DDR4 ram so I just went with 8gb more

If I wanted to muck around with building bargain bin computers just for fun, where should I start?

>what that is?
>I already had a stick of DDR4 ram so I just went with 8gb more
No, don't use that slow stick. Just get 2x8 3200. That single 2400 would drag the whole system down.

noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit

you have to have a noctua fan and an am4 keyboard at the same time?
lame
so when i buy zen2+x570 i'll have to use the stock cooler for the first week while i wait for the noctua am4 mounting kit?
L A M E

Reposting. Are these any good?

Attached: p12_pwm_pst_co_black_05.jpg (1200x1199, 191K)

speccy is shit at telling temps

130 usd for 16gb 3000/cl15 HyperX Predator. Good deal?

>you have to have a noctua fan and an am4 keyboard at the same time?
>am4 keyboard

Attached: 1475113368795.jpg (2000x1859, 489K)

I figured as much,

the running to nvme in raid meme is pretty neat.

oopsie i slipped up
i'm not gonna delete and repost tho

Hey user thanks for taking your time to help me out. I was also debating with 32 or 16gb of ram.

Ill opt on the RGB ram, The RGB fans and cpu cooler will be sufficient.

>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
Is the m.2 worth it? It's the first time I'm building a pc with SSD, so I have no idea if it's worth paying more for.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8Qj9dX
>9700k->8700k
practically identical speeds with the 8700k gaining more threads, better for multi-tasking. both cpus will outperform anything at 1080p 144hz
>2070->2060
2070 is overkill for 1080p. I have a 1070ti thst doesn't dip below 160hz when playing games at high settings. the 2060 is better than the 1070ti and will run almost anything 144hz on ultra.
>1000->650 watts
even if you overclocked everything to max the wattage wouldn't go past 600
>900p 60-> 1080p 144
jump in both resolution and refresh rate. necessary to see the jump in quality for the upgrade

>you can run games at ultra settings at that resolution with midrange part
How mid range are we talking? My current R9 270x struggles with most AAA titles. For example in R6 Siege I can only play comfortably with no stuttering on medium settings, Mirror's Edge Catalyst won't even allow me to change the settings, so all textures are low. Basically I can only have games on medium settings, no ultra, it's been a while since I played a game where I could freely set all settings to Ultra.

it's either 3000 or 3400 ram. 3000 is the budget option with decent performance for a good price and 3400 is the pure performance option for those that don't want to drop 200 bucks on b-die but get roughly the same performance.

It shouldn’t cost more of the same sata type, or if it does, like a few bucks extra. Get the evo 860 500gb/1tb m.2

compared to regular ssds they are a bit faster, and it's more convenient just screwing it in to the motherboard than having to deal with the sata cables

Well thats a shame, I kept it around thinking it could be used when I upgrade.
I'll go with 2x8 then

Thanks

So the old 550W PSU is fine then? No reason to upgrade it too?

>practically identical speeds with the 8700k gaining more threads, better for multi-tasking. both cpus will outperform anything at 1080p 144hz
I know it sounds weird, but where I live 9700K is cheaper than 8700K.

Well you could just buy the kit for $10 if you're impatient. All you need is the invoice for an AM4 board to get it ordered.

Oops I meant on opt out of the rgb ram. The ram you listed is perfect.

Why is pc building so boring nowadays?

Attached: 20150819203813!Hardware.jpg (1440x2040, 675K)

user I just looked at the list again. where the fuck did you find windows 10 for 20 bucks, I dont have the option to buy it.

Everything has been consolidated into just a handful of standards.

USB for instance murdered nearly every port on the port portion of your list, and HDMI and DP killed the rest.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-270X-vs-AMD-RX-580/2188vs3923
The newest midrange parts can run games almost double performance of the r9 270x.

im using the fps stats from userbenchmark that show all games would run over 60 at 1080p on max settings

there are a million fucking key sellers and you could even go ebay. it's not rocket science.

The shit OP again...

just use the windows toolkit holy shit

Don't really want an AMD card. What about 1070 8gb?

even a 1060 would give you 80fps average 1080p on r6 siege
userbenchmark.com/PCGame/FPS-Estimates-Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-Siege/3859/153864.0.Max.1080p.0

you could go with either one desu

forgot to reply

Averages are so fucking misleading on their own. What you want are 99%s, 1%s and 0.1%s with frametimes. Otherwise you might buy a 2060 or i5 fully convinced they are perfectly fine because they run your favorite games at 100fps average but then you get micro stutters and really bad latency. Then why are the averages so high? Because the games run fine for 10 seconds at 80fps, then drop down to 46 for a split second and are back again at 75. That shit is literally unplayable.

You're being paranoid as fuck, but only by interpreting incompetence as malice. Newer NVidia drivers don't hit quite the same sweet spot on pascal as some of the earlier ones, like 391.35, or 399.24, though they have the newer security updates. imo that's the issue with trying to maintain one set of drivers for various GTX architectures, as well as RTX turing, etc. to normie-proof the driver installation process.

>recommending the RTX 2060
JUST POST THE IN-GAME PERFORMANCE QUANTILES AND THE HORROR WILL END (no averages or misleading statistics that assume a normal distribution)

Totally different people.

Me on the third reply.

>-Posted from my iPhone

>8700k gaining more threads, better for multi-tasking.
wrong, 9700k is better in multitasking as well

Anybody here run Monster Hunter World at 1440p and greater than 60hz? Want to know what hardware you have.

How is this about?
pcpartpicker.com/list/W9NHTB

Attached: 1436490098947.png (355x282, 54K)

Is it now? Regardless both cpus are overkill for 1080p 60hz

I got a Jewvidia 1070Ti for $270, top that AMDfags. For perspective, the RTX 2060 goes for $500 here.

Based and redpilled white man defeating the jews. That 8 GB VRAM is guaranteed to futureproof you for the next 3-4 years while 2060 babies will post pink wojaks within the next 1-2 years.

I'm Indian

Attached: 1523844481995.png (624x434, 126K)

[LAUGHS IN 1080ti]

>tfw want to rebuild old pc for the enjoyment of the build but realise you don't enjoy many games anymore and don't use it very much so is probably a waste of money
is it worth spending £800~ on new parts so I can play 5 games a year?

Pretty good. I changed the 480gig ssd to a 500gig that's cheaper. the build is perfect for 1440p instead of 1200p so I upgraded ur monitor for $20
pcpartpicker.com/list/Lt83GG

Well I'll get a 7nm Nvidia GPU after a year or two, the 1070ti is gonna last me well enough until then at 1440p.

Okay, so I might have made a mistake.

I am building a new machine with a Ryzen 2700X (inb4 that's the mistake).
I wanted to use my old cooler for the CPU, an Alpenfohn Ben Nevis, because I thought it would fit the AM4 socket. Now I had a look at the manual and it didn't say anything about AM4. Now, I have this thing since summer of 2017, so if I could use it on AM4, it would be listed, wouldn't it? Or is AM4 identical with AM3? I got all my components here, mainboard should arrive tomorrow, but I really don't want to get another cooler and replace it, I want to build this thing and be done with it.

tl;dr: Is it possible to mount an AM3 or less cooler on an AM4 socket?

>thinks a mined to hell 1070Ti for $270 is a good deal

>tfw new GPU is DOA
>old GPU is dead
>new new GPU will be here in five days

Attached: IMG_2625.png (1059x1600, 1.07M)

Yea man, I upgraded from a 660. First high end gpu I’ve ever owned. Just wanted to gloat a lil

It's brand new, I got it on some Amazon flash sale. Why would I post about buying a used card?

Not without AM4 mounting brackets. You can buy them separately for most coolers but you’re better off just grabbing a new cpu cooler

>things that didnt happen

Well, I have AM* mounting brackets, the question just is whether they will also fit AM4 or not.
I also just found on the Alpenfoehn website the information that Ben Nevis and Sella have been compatible with AM4 since ever, but at the same time they talk about AM4 kits for the coolers and now I am confused.

>Set fans at full speed
>Shit sounds like a helicopter
>Set fans at 55% exhaust, 60% intake manually
>Same exact temps but much quieter

Are my case fans useless?

well I tried it all and unless I tilt the monitor all the way down like the middle one in pic related, a decent chunk of the display remains dark up top. It's worse in movies during dimly lit/night sequences, TN is just shit.

Attached: rack2.jpg (530x148, 25K)

Diminishing returns as you increase speed. The sound profile is also designed for a specific speed which is normally not top speed.

Not completely, but as long as they push a little they're good enough.

Dunno what you mean mate, I got for $270.