This blog post is about Gentoo

oh god what am I doing? you idiots have convinced me that systemd is the devil so I've spent the whole weekend researching different distros and I was certain that I'd be installing Void, but the project doesn't really seem that stable so, as I've been instructed to do probably (((hundreds))) of times, I actually plan to install Gentoo with openrc. What have I gotten myself into?

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bedrocklinux.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just relax and take your time?
Read the handbook.
Ask people for help on the Gentoo IRC if you encounter a problem, or are stumped, during installation.

Attached: 1548235321798.png (709x720, 247K)

Nothing particularly special. You install Gentoo, then you use it for a dozen years or more.

I'm using systemd on Gentoo, BTW, but OpenRC is fine.

You are on the path to enlightenment. The next step is to install GentNU which only has certifiably Libre software

Thanks. I've been using Fedora for a long time so that should give you an idea of what my skill level is. I'm afraid I'm getting in over my head, but the handbook actually seems very helpful and complete.

Seems rather pointless when you can just ACCEPT_LICENSE on Gentoo?

A few parts here and there that you may find to be outdated. Just be careful and try to panic if portage gives you some strange error.

and try not to*

Portage very rarely gives any strange errors. Usually it's just an error that tells you what is wrong.

very true. Love portage, it's just so well polished

install gentoo

Install windoze

I was a windows babby before switching to gentoo. You can do it.
Here, have this dog for encouragement.

Attached: J.jpg (1440x1397, 774K)

wow you went straight from windows to gentoo? That really is encouraging.

>GentNU
GentNU's not Unix?

did you got meme'd by Jow Forums?

Currently using void. I find it pretty stabile for everyday use a lot better than gentoo, arch and slackware.

Requesting blogpost

not him, but I did the same thing. I just read the handbook in links in tty2 while installing. what was infuriatingly hard was deciding on a partitioning scheme, but I've got a feel for that now after installing on enough systems with various distros/os's

I use gentoo on my work pc and my x220. The 3 main benefits of using Gentoo are OpenRC, USE flags, and the fact that by using it you will end up learning quite a bit about Gnu/Linux systems.
When it comes to init systems, OpenRC blows systemd out of the water. Even if you arent someone whose concerned about the security aspect of systemd, OpenRC is easier to do shit with (in my experience).
USE flags allow you to customize what software gets put on your machine- more options are always good. On top of that, reading through what each USE flag is for beforwe installing something has helped me to learn quite a bit about some of the software I use every day. Sometimes it reveals options I dont want or need, and sometimes it reveals features I didnt know existed.
Because of all the customization that Gentoo allows both through USE flags and through allowing you to choose the major components of your base system and the configuration of the Linux kernel itself, you will be encouraged every step of the way to learn about these options to see which ones are right for you. By learning about the options, you are learning about your system, the system you will be using as your daily driver for some time. And by learning about your system, you will be able to use that knowledge to get as much out of it as possible.

>What have I gotten myself into?
you're inside a distro hopping hell. Enjoy many wasteful weekends.
Legends say that some people never recovered from this

I stopped when i hopped to gentoo because thats the distro that meets all my needs.

>What have I gotten myself into?
Ascension

Attached: bigstock-Door-To-The-Mind-50771078.jpg (900x675, 902K)

Is it actually viable to install Gentoo successfully by using the Handbook and having no prior experience with terminal?

That's what it's there for

I actually know a guy who changes his distro at least 2 times a week.

Install gentoo
>Now

I too was a windows gaymer before I installed Gentoo for the first time in 2015. I had some time to kill and wanted to mess around with other operating systems.
I used OSX for a month or so on my Lenovo laptop. It was better than I thought it would be. It had many issues, but it worked.
After that I decided to install Linux*. I always hated Ubuntu for some reasons (reasons have changed, but I still hate it). I new Install Gentoo was meme, but I read a few things about it on their website and wikipedia and it seemed pretty good to me. Most of the complains people had about it were compile time and doing things manually. Both of them weren't really issue for me as I had a decent gaymen laptop and some free time.
The first install I had was on hyper-v, it took about a week to get to the login prompt. It was mostly searching on the internet about troubleshooting some random thing that I did not understand. At one point I even decided to ditch Gentoo for Arch, but for some reason, it didn't feel right to install Arch after trying to get Gentoo working. After all, I actually got everything working and made it to the login prompt. Then I spent another week installing gnome and figuring out how portage works and then spent sometime on ricing. Things looked good and it seemed to perform better in a VM than windows does on hardware.

*GNU/Linux

cont.

Then I installed it on actual hardware and started using it from time to time. After a month or so, I set it as the default boot entry and used windows only when I wanted to play gaymes.
After sometime, I noticed a particular pattern among most of the installed programs. I don't know how to describe it, but programs did not restrict me from using it in any way. There were no trials, ads or other restrictions that can only be unlocked by getting a pro version. It was the whole Open Source thing. Then I started reading about RMS, watched a few of his videos. Initially I took it as joke and thought he's being too mad about this whole freedom thing. But later I realized he's actually right.
After a year, I switched from gnome to i3, started using more and more cli only programs. I was too much into the whole free software stuff, I set the ACCEPT_LICENSE to only allow installation of free software in portage. I also fell for the minimalism meme. I stopped using bloated programs whenever I could, It was mostly removing some C++ and libboost bloat. Removed grub and started using rEFInd, switched to vim from VSCode. Started using programs that support vi binding such as cmus, mutt, ranger, etc.

try bedrock linux

bedrocklinux.org

I current have:

void linux for runit
arch linux for xorg, bspwm etc

also:
runit > openrc

cont.

After that I got a job as a "server engineer", using Gentoo at work was really not a good idea (hardware not being powerful enough), so I wanted a distro that is minimal enough for my liking, cares about free software and doesn't involve compiling. I asked on /fglt/ and a some anons suggested Debian net install. I tried it in a VM and it was exactly what I wanted.
It's been more than 3 year of my Gentoo experience and it's been pretty good so far. Right now I dual boot Gentoo and OpenBSD on my laptop and Debian net install on my work machine. I like a lot of things about OpenBSD. I might just make the switch to OpenBSD as my primary OS one day, but that day is not coming anytime soon. Gentoo provides many ways to customize stuff that simply isn't possible on other distros.
Also, I'm about to switch my job to being a system admin as it seems to be the perfect match for what I've been doing.