Learning distros?

Which of picrelated would be the best distro for someone to expand unix/linux knowledge with? Ground knowledge is already there.

Which of them is suited for what? Looking to make myself more appealing on the job market.

Attached: Distros.jpg (768x768, 208K)

I learnt on Slackware back in 2001. Things like how to use text editors, bash, file management and compiling the kernel.

slackware

install lfs

I'm doing that on a virtual machine already.
Started this thread bc I received a spare laptop which i want to tinker with.

None. Just read the manuals for each program if you want to learn.

I use both Arch and Gentoo and like the latter a bit more in general. But I can't say you'll become an advanced unix user just from doing your daily routines on these distros. I mostly use computers for reading pdfs, watching anime, browsing Jow Forums and programming and I can't say that using either Gentoo or Arch for these expanded my unix knowledge.

None of the distributions in OP's pic are Unix.

slackware. don't forget to donate

I learned Unix back in the 90s with Solaris and Linux, which was a lot more Unix like back then. Picked up openbsd 2.6 in 99 which was very well organised and taught me a lot. Daily drive it for a while.

Gentoo or Slackware if you're more keen on the Linux kernel otherwise openbsd or netBSD

If you want to go into system admin then Fedora or opensuse. If you want to post memes about it then Arch or Gentoo

>the Linux kernel
As opposed to the other Linux?

>Which of picrelated
None

>Looking to make myself more appealing on the job market.
One of the RHEL clones CentOS or Scientific Linux.

Why use either of those when Fedora exists?

No, as opposed to other kernels, you illiterate negroid

So why not just say Linux? Why say "the Linux kernel"?

The problem with "learning distros" is once you got everything set up you want it to work indefinitely, and if you're successful at that then you'll just forget everything. So what's the point.

Do something more useful like a devops course if you like managing this stuff so much. You'll be playing with dockers instead of distros though.

>which distro for the job market
>hurr install a distro that forces you to compile from source
>hurr install a distro that doesnt do dependency checking
You guys are fucking retarded

Choosing a recreational distro to watch animes and play Life is Strange rn
Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, or Cinnamon Mint brahs?
Which is the most stable?

The job market doesn't care about desktops. And after you have the ground knowledge like OP has it's all about knowing the server application you need to deal with in dept and not linux per se. And you should know some config management tools like ansible or puppet and ELK or docker.

And learn some bash and python.

None. Build your own. linuxfromscratch.org

Wasted time.

Install lfs

Tell us how to not be retarded then.

Attached: 1546799616763.jpg (512x512, 45K)

Could I have a link for a 101 of what you've mentioned? You got my gears spinning.

To make the juxtaposition clear to other kernels, such as the BSD kernels, the Darwin kernel, the NT kernel, etc.

install centos

Learning what? What's your goal? In the industry (docker containers and virtual machines) people use two systems:

- Redhat (including CentOS)
- Debian (including Ubuntu, Alpine etc)

the distros share 99% of programs anyway, the main difference is the package manager and the daemon

Just go with Ubuntu with your favorite UI (KDE or whatever) or for a VM just get Ubuntu Server.

Nobody says "the Darwin kernel". You only say "the X kernel" if it shares its name with an OS, which Linux and Darwin do not.

I mean if you use the distro only remotely in a VM or docker container over SSH (then you don't need a GUI)

Programmers can show off their github contributions
What can I show off as a sysadmin? Do I have to learn this devops thing too? This seems to be another word for learning docker

Getting general knowledge of linux software and possibilities, high to low:
LFS

gentoo, *bsd, slackware, debian where you configure shit etc.

Arch install where you just mindlessly paste shit from the wiki and don't learn anything else besides how to install arch.

Any distro where you don't configure shit and where updates just break your custom configs because they are "not supported".

Actually understanding how programs work internally:
Distro doesn't matter, what matters is you reading the source code

Learning "enterprise linux":
SUSE or Fedora/CentOS specifics

>What can I show off as a sysadmin?

Attached: MS professional brainlets.png (1890x1630, 448K)

The BSDs are though...

>Learning distros?

Attached: templeos_tan_by_for_tran-d9cwxal.png (789x872, 38K)

No they aren't. Why would you think that?

they're all the same you dumb cunt
kernel + the same core software + some combination of preinstalled DE/software

Any reason to go *BSD over linux?

Right wing philosophy.

For home use? Not really, unless you want to feel special and want obscure shit that lacks some drivers and proggies of gnu linux. The main reason for the existence of *BSD today is that companies using their code don't have to open source their modifications.

If you want to "learn" Linux (or other Unix-like operating systems such as BSD) the only real option is Linux from Scratch.
I myself use Gentoo, but all those claims about any advanced distro "teaching you Linux" are just stupid. In fact, Portage in particular makes many things easier than most other distributions.

By your logic, is Unix BSD?

I just made a big post here about why i think gentoo is the best

>Programmers can show off their github contributions
No they can't you massive faggot. 90% of us do not work on some stupid OS garbage and nobody is interested in small hobby projects that do not show a programmers ability to adapt in a business environment
>sysadmin
that job does not exist anymore, everything is dockerized
>devops
you cannot just walk into devops, devops is THE most lucrative consulting field and requires the most PRACTICAL experience. You can ma,ke as many certificates you want, without having worked for a company setting up scalable environments with AWS, Kubernetes, Prometheus and tons of other technologies which you are supposed to know (and give advice on their quality, pricing etc) nobody will hire you as DevOps

He asked a simple question you autistic fuck.
Look into LPIC

bwump for