What's wrong with eth0?

What's wrong with eth0?

Attached: 1.jpg (1000x749, 271K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
github.com/tim241/efistub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably wasn't as compatible with all the shitty proprietary wifi devices and winshit standards so they had to change it to be device dependent instead of generic.
But that's just a guess.

NICs are things you can add and remove, and are configured in a nondeterministic order. The card that is now eth0 might be eth1 after the next boot.
Back in the Land Before systemd, udev just dealt with the problem by keeping a table mapping numbers to interfaces. Since there are rare special cases in which that's not a viable option (and if there's one thing the systemd people hate, it's special cases), systemd now uses these weird but mostly-deterministically-allocated names for cards.
Apparently there are a couple of ways to disable this if you really hate it.

Almost right.

NIC enumeration has always been raceful. Old udev used to do a rename juggle (literally called devices like rename0 while their proper ethX name became available) but this was getting less reliable as systems got faster, and systemd-udevd's attempt to do everything concurrently fucks it completely. You can't have fast boot and ethX names.

Yeah you can disable net.ifnames=0 but this will result in random NIC order every so often.

The solution is to either use the systemd names, or use your own names which don't race with the kernel device addition, such as "netX" or "nicX" or intrinsic names like "prod" and "backup".

It's 2019. ethX is over. Anyone still using ethX naming is a backwards retard who should fuck off to Windows.

But how do I write portable scripts now?

If your scripts relied on an interface being called eth0, they weren't portable to begin with.

Makes sense.

fuck me in the eth0 Aleksi

kek

Fuck off. I have two NICs and will call them eth0 and wlan0 until the day I die. enP* is for servers, not my personal machine.

>Anyone still using ethX naming is a backwards retard
What if I only have 1 Ethernet device and I easily can guarantee that I will always only have 1 Ethernet device? Random or not, it will always be called eth0 and doing something because it is new doesn't make sense in most situations.
I agree that it is a problem if you have many devices, but most people don't. And if they do, why wouldn't they write a udev rule to rename them anyway?
It solved a problem nobody asked to be solved and made networking so much harder because nobody can remember the predictable names.

>this will result in random NIC order every so often.
Great, because it results in different NIC order either way for removable devices, it's retarded and pointless.

>tfw my scripts relied on wlan0 :(
never really intended to be portable though

>I intentionally broke an old easily understood behavior that was commonly used but you're the incompatible one
lennart pls it's okay to admit you're forcing a change

>let's solve this problem by not really solving it and introducing a ton of other problems in the process
>you're backwards and retarded if you disagree lmao

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Because some dipshit named Lennart Poettering thought "eth0 is too easy to remember, we need to replace it".

So now we get shit like OP where you have these horrendous network device names.

See freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
>>>>>predictable
Yeah, no. Stable, yes, but you couldn't just hand someone a random system and ask them to predict what the device name will be, whereas with the old style a system with a single eth port would always call it eth0.

I never really understood why the "predictable" names couldn't be just some kind of a link in another place. Then people and scripts that use the "predictable" names could use those and us normal people could use our eth0 etc.

Why is it that you can only have one?

>Why is it that you can only have one?
Because supreme leader Lennart Poettering is never wrong. There is never any need to use other device names. Just use the device names he chose for you and be happy.

edit grub
add net.ifnames=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
update grub
ez pz

fuck i entered this thread to post this

systemd is wrong with eth0

use runit fag

>eth0
>not naming network cards for their chipset driver
rl0
urtw0
rtwn0

>grub
how do I do this with systemd-boot?

I'd recommend you use efistub

try this script, automates your life:
github.com/tim241/efistub

>not naming network cards for their unique identifier
ethb534e6c69d0b
wlanb7e0bb371cd6
wwan911383389393552

>not using the mac address as name
UW:OT:FA:TN:IG:GER

>not using a base64 encoded photo of the device itself as the name
How does it feel to be this tech illiterate?

I bet I could fast boot & write 3 letters of text concurrently.

Is this even a systemd problem? I seem to remember these names appearing on Void as well.

>wasn't as compatible with all the shitty proprietary wifi devices
What the fuck are you talking about?
It's a udev thing. systemd swallowed udev so now it's automatically a systemd thing by extension. eudev also does this.

This comes from udev which is part of systemD.

The network names are just symlinks on /sys/class/net, why couldn't there be /sys/class/net_predictable or something that has these "predictable" names?

Is there any reason at all why this wouldn't work other than poettering being a shithead?

Just recompile the kernel with the old interface naming enabled.

All of the information used to generate the "predictable" names seems orderable, so why couldn't they just use that information to generate consisten eth0 and eth1 devices?

Attached: basedandredpilled.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

based service space systemd saves the day YET AGAIN.

How hard is it to record "this MAC = eth0" and then give unrecognized ones whatever untaken numbered name is first? It's stable and the user can customize the order or even name their NIC flapjack0 if they want.

What's the matter user, new network names not PREDICTABLE enough for you?
maybe if you were a REAL IT PRO working with REAL SERVERS not an anime watching neet messing with his shitty laptop/1 network card server you'd FINALLY UNDERSTAND that (((predictable network names))) like enp1s3 are better than dumb eth0 garbage.

Attached: le binary log face.jpg (1204x803, 128K)

With one device there is nothing to race, so call it what you want.

i dont want that garbage on my servers. debian still defaults to ethx instead of that random name meme.

>Lennart Poettering and his *shuffles deck* predictable interface names
Lmao you incels get triggered so easily. Who the fuck cares how the network port is called? Do you spend every day typing it into the terminal a thousand times?
Next time you're probably gonna complain about UUIDs and IPv6 addresses being too complex.

>debian still defaults to ethx instead of that random name meme.
No it doesn't. Hasn't for a long time.

all my debian stable systems use the old names by default.

Try a new install.