/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What was the last time you used an optical disc?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: odg banner 4.jpg (4592x3056, 3.83M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TCTWyNstpD0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed–Solomon_error_correction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"Optical discs" include both analogue (LD) and digital formats (CD, DVD, etc.), plus magneto-optical discs.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA DATA ROTTTTTTTTT

Right, the cd video disc has unreadable audio due to rot. I heard this is more of a Philips problem, instead of a general LD issue. The lifespan of a blu-ray and m-disc are both longer than LD or CD/DVD, unless it's blu-ray LTH, so both formats are ideal for archival (especially the 100Gb M-disc).

>found place to get bulk LTO
>no one is offering bulk XL M-Disc

Attached: 1506986422858.jpg (320x320, 29K)

yesterday, my dude
had to boot a laptop using sysrescd, but couldn't find a flash drive, so i burned it onto a dvd-r
before that, maybe a year ago

I've just imagined a spindle of 100Gb M-discs.
>bulk XL M-Disc
Why though? Don't you want the discs already having a box? It's better when they're isolated from the start.
>LTO
How does it compare to M-disc in terms of longevity?

I once attempted to configure a bootable mini-DVD, but the OS image was too large. Now I have a 2 layer 8cm disc, but don't feel like using it.
>laptop
It's pretty old, right? Modern ones usually don't have an optical drive and instead have the crappy USB-C's like some kind of overgrown smartphone abomination.

nah, it's pretty new, made in 2014

what livecd were you trying to burn that was bigger than 2.8GB?

>bigger than 2.8GB
It wasn't. It was the KDE Neon iso, which was about 2Gb, so the file could not fit onto the standard 8cm disc, which is actually about 1.4Gb.

he said it was a 2 layer disc, which are 2.8GB

Note: images of rare formats/drives or discs in general are welcomed.

Yesterday morning in my car.

Where can I learn more detailed information about the binary content of a CD ROM? I want to know everything from the contents of the lead in and lead out tracks to the placement of sync words and merging bits.

Osta (link in OP) may be a a good guide, however you can search up the Red Book specifications yourself.
Here's a fairly detailed video on CD's & the Books
>youtu.be/TCTWyNstpD0
CDFS error-correction
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed–Solomon_error_correction

Has anyone here used LabelFlash or disc T@2? I only have a lightscribe drive, Labelflash was less popular.

A few days ago.

What for?

bump

>What was the last time you used an optical disc?
Some days ago

Blu-ray or DVD?

I honestly can't even remember. It has been years at the very least.

Writing a 4k movie MKV to a bluray to send to friend in the mail.

Faster than them downloading it.

Based. I was in a similar situation where a 4k mkv occupied most of my usb 3.0 flash drive, so I moved it to a BD-RE, then to a BD-R a few days ago. By the way, it is more convenient to grab a throwaway CD/DVD and burn the files to hand to your friend than giving a flash drive & then waiting for them to return it.

Do you even have a desktop pc?

Yup, full tower and 3 27" monitors, it's basically as stationary as a home PC can get.

Many zoomers nowadays don't have actual PC's and instead use tablets or Mac's & their clones. I thought it's rare that a stationary PC lacks an optical drive.
How do you archive your diles? SSD's lose data over time when left without power, HDD's accumulate sector swaps, which have to be constantly corrected.

>What was the last time you used an optical disc?
Yesterday for testing my Chink USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. I tested it with SSD, HDD, and an internal optical drive.
Funnily, my internal BD drive works better on the external adapter than it did internally (I suspect some Windows 10 update/driver bullshit), I even thought my drive was dying but it actually works just fine.

>I even thought my drive was dying
Have you tried using a cleaning disc? I once had my Blu-ray player stop reading discs and responding to certain buttons, all it took was powering it off and on, then cleaning. Now it's perfectly fine.
Are the drivers of the latest version?

>Are the drivers of the latest version?
According to Windows yes, though it's a drive I bought a long time ago.
The issue was that when I inserted a disc in the drive, Windows would stop detecting the drive (it would just vanish from the explorer). I had to restart the computer after inserting a disc so the drive would show up and access the media.
On the external adapter it works perfectly.

Radiator and HDDs/SSDs take up all the room, there's no place for an ODD anymore. My files are stored on a NAS with HDDs in RAID6 (Linux md). The NAS itself is backed up in its entirety once a month (or more often if I feel the need to) to HDDs which I keep offline and in HDD storage cases. I check SMART regularly and if I see even a single bad sector I replace the entire drive. I'm pretty happy with how safe my data should be, though I want to switch to ZFS at some point.

I have considered backing up to optical media because of their supposed very long life time, but the thing is the capacity per disc is just too small. The NAS has a 21TB capacity and about 12.6TB is used, the number of BDs required to store that much data is just impractical.

Okay so I see you have the archival issue covered, you've already found the right solution for yourself. I have no idea how you can fill up 12Tb, but then BDXL might not be helpful to you.
However, I still recommend 100Gb M-Discs for long-term archival. You can pick the most important files out of the 12Tb to be sure nothing happens to them.
Have you considered getting an LTO drive? Each LTO-8 unit can store over 12.8Tb.

I have looked at tape drives, yeah, but the price for the drive itself is just ridiculously prohibitive. The initial investment required is just too great for me, HDDs seem to be much more cost-effective at the capacity requirements I have due to the astronomical price of the tape drive itself. I've seen LTO-8 drives at like $3000. I'd need 2 tapes as well, even if I assume the tapes were entirely free I'd still basically pay $3000 for 24TB storage. I can buy 24TB worth of HDD storage for less than 1/3 of that. Maybe if I needed 200TB instead of 20TB a tape drive would be worth it, but it looks like I'm just too small-scale for backup tapes.

I used T@2 with my Yamaha CRWF1 drive. It was sweet. I still have a few disks lying around.

Why don't we have big blu-ray discs, the size of Laser Discs or even slightly bigger? Triple layer ones could store 1 TB easily and will be way more convinient than LTO.

Attached: interstellar_pepe_by_erkaz-dblcq9l.jpg (752x1063, 85K)

Can you burn the /odg/ logo on a disc?

If BDXL were 30cm in diameter and the center hole stayed at 2cm, the larger disc would store 157Gb, but would not fit into the standard desktop.
picrel

Attached: both logos s.jpg (800x800, 82K)

today

I literally wore that drive out. I, however, do have a Labelflash drive I've never used, though no media. I've also read you can use Disc T@2, with some work involved, on Labelflash drives. But, once again I don't have any media. The best discs were the Memorex CD-R with blue dye. I could probably do this on a Lightscribe disc, if you wanted.