Arm-based laptops

why aren't arm based laptops more popular? most normalfriends don't even care about performance as long as they can browse facebook and android/ios devices have proven that arm is capable of that + their low power requirements mean that battery life is significantly higher. it even seems that most windows programs are compatible with arm based windows so what gives?

Attached: TP370-feature.jpg (696x464, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2018/8/24/17776668/intel-microsoft-surface-go-arm-processor-choice
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ffw 3 years
>arm chips everywhere

just wait and get surprised

it has to with pricing they range from 700$-800$ at that point iwould rather buy i5

PineBook

i prefer lap based laptops.

normalfriends would be mad they can't run their office or other x86 software they use
this is why Windows RT flopped

I had an ARM Chromebook. It sucks that Google stops updating after a few years and you have to go through a lot of hoops to get real Linux onto it.

Because I can't run virtual machines on ARM CPUs.

windows 10 has a compatibility layer for x86 programs or so microsoft says. i don't have a laptop to test this claim.
well, that's a given. for general shitposting and stuff it's fine. most socs have hardware acceleration for avc and google's codecs even. seems like the perfect architecture to go with consumer grade laptops.

Thats exactly what I was saying
Android and iOS have less bloat and therefore run faster for normal tasks for tablets like web browsing

Microsoft already tried that with the surface, remember how that went?

>>windows 10 has a compatibility layer for x86 programs or so microsoft says.
It's true but it still sucks.

Attached: raspi speccz full.png (1280x1024, 411K)

theverge.com/2018/8/24/17776668/intel-microsoft-surface-go-arm-processor-choice
fucking intel man
do you have any issues using ms office or browsing web with it? what's it like?

This. It's not safe to sell to normies who wouldn't understand what they're getting.

>browsing web with it?
A working driver for usb and net is still missing but should be here in a few days
>what's it like?
It's extremely slow, mainly because running windows 10 from an sd card and with not much ram is a joke

hmm, makes sense, i guess. i honestly just want a nice arm laptop that i can use watch anime and shitpost with. guess i'll have to fuck around with linux but even then only choice i have is getting an chromebook but like said it's an ass to work with.

pinebook?

oh, shit only 100 bux? not bad at all. wonder if it can hardware decode h264 and other stuff, though.

Wait for pinebook pro

Just search for review of Windows on ARM latops/tablets man. Why would you ask for his experience of an insider preview on an unknown device?
Also manufacturers are fucking retarded, Windows on Arm obviously can't compete with normal Windows but they only making expensive or flagship models. So for now there's no reason to chose Windows ARM laptop over Windows x86 laptop at all.

>windows 10 from an sd card
SDXC SD Cards have a speed up to 300MB/s.
This should be as fast as a normal HDD, but they are pretty expensive.

I think the problem is the RAM.
Windows 10 needs much RAM.
1 GB really a minimum for x32 installations. 2 GB RAM for x64.

I wait for the Raspberry Pi 4.. Probably it will have more RAM.

abso-fucking-lutely

Attached: ooooo.png (722x261, 20K)

>SDXC SD Cards have a speed up to 300MB/s.
Sure, for short sequential reads.
>I wait for the Raspberry Pi 4.. Probably it will have more RAM.
If you want to use windows then a raspberry pi should be the last thing to consider. Win10 only works if you install a third party uefi, and even then it doesn't have a driver for the gpu

>I wait for the Raspberry Pi 4.
Why not buy one of the stronger current SBCs?
If you're going to use windows on it or some Linux variety I don't think the Pi offers significant advantages compared to boards with better price/performance.

Or just buy a cheap NUC (the current Pentium or Celeron) if you really want a cheap and small windows machine.

I am really interested to try Windows on ARM devices.
I will probably reverse the x86 compatibility layer and see, how they solved it and also try different programs and check the performance.

After I did this, I will use it as a Kodi mediacenter with a N64 emulator on Raspian.
So I don't plan to use Windows on a Raspberry for a long time and will switch back to Linux, until I explored the OS.