/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: stretchyawnkittyboy.png (537x700, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerhope.com/shortcut/chrome.htm
github.com/tjg1/nori)
privacytools.io/#about_config
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah they're definitely worth learning for application development. Anyone saying they're outdated is memeing you. I hear good things about Rust, Forth, Go, etc, but you're probably more likely to find work with C/C++ than with any of those.

Thanks. Which one would you recommend learning first? Is C easy to self teach?

Hello guys!
Today I bought a used PC, and came with this mobo.

I was wondering if the port marked in the yellow rectangle it's the connector for the front USB 3.0 ports. I havent found info online about this mobo and I never had a mobo with USB 3.0 ports before.

The case don't have those and I want to move the components to another case with front USB 3.0 ports.

The mobo has 2x USB 3.0 ports on the back.

Thanks in advance and have a nice night or day.

Attached: 4283.png (982x1000, 2.43M)

I'll go with the cliche answer and say to start with The C Programming Language 2nd edition by Kernighan and Ritchie.

Asking in this thread as well:

Is there a mic guide? I'm looking at buying a new mic, and am looking for a nice, low to mid grade desktop mic for some hobby recording and potential video making.

Yes, pretty sure its the front case USB3 port.

Networking homework:

I'm analyzing data packets. I've done a nslookup to google.com. After capturing the packets in wireshark, I'm examining the query response of type A DNS.

I'm supposed to find the number of IP addresses associated with the DNS name. I can't find it anywhere, can anyone show me how to?

Attached: help.png (429x414, 14K)

trying to make an updated win10 image;
- install 10 LTSB N x64 into a vm
- reboot into audit mode
- use wsusoffline to get it updated
- use DISM++ to remove update backups
- set sysprep to generalize and oobe, and shutdown
- capture wim using wimlib on linux host
- install wim using WinNTSetup on a laptop
during OOBE, it reboots right before the part where you make a new user, and doesn't get any further. audit mode still works
the laptop is ok, an untouched image installs fine
this same procedure works with windows 7 fine as well
what am i doing wrong? is it the updates? the use of dism++? the use of wimlib?
it takes a long time to do any of this stuff, so i'd rather not test each individual thing

If you're new, go with python. Can't go wrong with it. C/C++ maybe useful for learning the basics of programming like functions/data types/classes/objects/etc, but for actual programming, just go with python if you're new.

computerhope.com/shortcut/chrome.htm
>Spacebar Moves down a page at a time.
>Shift+Spacebar Moves up a page at a time.
shift+spacebar doesn't work for me, it just moves down instead of up. i don't remember remapping it in autohotkey or anything like that. can you confirm if this is how google chrome acts on your pc?

It reads "TPM" at the bottom, so what does this mean?

> I've hidden this caption when putting the yellow rectangle when highlighting

Attached: 1519234802008.jpg (462x500, 46K)

it's the Trusted Platform Module port

So, this mobo doesn't have USB 3.0 front connectors, only 2.0?

Attached: 1459479536214.jpg (208x250, 8K)

hmm, i don't see a USB3 header for front ports, no.
you can get a PCI-E card with USB3 header(s) on it though

Attached: 1479718664_1014.jpg (800x800, 73K)

Thanks for the advice. I'll check what's available in my shithole.

This thing came with an i5 2500K, what's a good GPU that I can put on it? I don't want nothing fancy and I only want it to play light games/emulators/indies (Nothing new/AAA),

Attached: 1406227993182.jpg (472x472, 69K)

When I use bottom backlinks in 4chanx I end up getting both most of the time like in the pic. A refresh fixes it, but is there something to make it work the first time? This happens in both tamper & violentmonkey on Firefox. Greasemonkey has other problems so that's out of the question.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-06 00-43-34.png (1024x480, 110K)

anything mid-end from the current or last generation will do, or if you're really tight on money, perhaps consider a second hand higher end card which is not too old (unless you really have light requirements, you'd at least want something with 2GB of VRAM)

how the hell do I share internet to my smart tv using my laptops wifi through ethernet?

I already made a bridge between my wlan adapter and ethernet, everything seems fine but there therere is no conection in my tv

Attached: Capture.png (711x296, 55K)

Wait, so you can install Windows on a new PC for free just from the media creation tool?

Right now Firefox is the only thing taking up more than a couple megabytes of memory in my processes
I have 8GB or RAM, and Firefox is using about 3500mb, so why am I at 99% RAM usage?

I have an Asus prime x470 and was wondering how exactly do the two m.2 slots work.
I have a 500gb ssd in the top slot and wanted to buy a 1tb nmve drive. Does it matter which slot each are in?

Don't know if this should be here or /diy/ but I'm trying to get a bunch of RCA inputs into 3.5mm computer speakers and I'm not sure if there's any way to improve it or if there's a device made just for this kind of thing. This is just a bunch of Y cables going into a squid and then a female to female 3.5. I'm not sure if I should replace this with a switch box, but the problem is that I already have a switch box going into one of these inputs and from what I can find on amazon there's no switch box that takes in RCA and has 3.5 output.

Attached: 23423425151111111.jpg (603x341, 75K)

Will I still be able to buy PC parts that "are compatible" with Windows 7 a few years down the line? Or should I just get on it while I can?

Attached: 299464.jpg (600x399, 91K)

they can still run it it's just not supported officially

...what the ACTUAL fuck are you trying to do? You know there is such thing as a cable that ends in a 3.5mm phono and stereo RCA, right? All those adapters will just cause audible annoying interference and pick up every ground loop in your house.

also that squid cable will not work properly in that direction, you are dividing the output amperage for every connected audio source (or multiplying it if it's going the other way) and whatever you play through it will sound like literal ass and no turning the volume up won't help.

tl;dr: there is a FAR simpler way to do what you're doing without all those fucking adapters or the squid cable. it would help if you posted the devices you're trying to connect instead of the monstrosity you've assembled.

Is there a browser [POWER RANKING]
>for Android
Duck duck go crashes all the time and just broke SwiftKey

has anyone used monogame in C#? how the fuck do I just draw a rectangle? it seems like it's complicated to draw anything that isn't a preexisting image

Hey Jow Forumsuys, I was wondering how I could make an accurately scaled bar graph, just something with percentages, so that I could group the key subject of the graph with the facts surrounding it, something like those graphs techtubers use when they compare graphics cards at 1080/1440/4k all at once (where say the bars for the 580 or whatever go up for FPS, with a space then the 1060 or whatever) but just for percentages.

kill yourself pedo tranny faggot

I have a computer that I can't install software on and I want to get a screenshot of it's screen to another computer.
It have vga out, so it should be possible.
Is there an alternative to the screen recorders out there? I can easily make one with an fpga, but that is equally expensive and the other thing probably works better.

what operating system? why not use built in software like mspaint or snipping tool

also if you're desperate enough you could consider taking a photo of the screen and clean it up digitally

Two computers. Can't touch A, but A have vga output.
Computer B wants a screenshot and I was wandering if there was a better or cheaper option than the $400 screen recorders.

Need the quality

I have studied classical violin all my life and am tech illiterate. I would like to be a computer engineer instead now. What do? I am 18 years of age and live in Norway

Laptop battery been dead for a year, can I take hard drive out and connect it to PC and transfer data or something?

I wanna plug a bunch of rca audio sources into desktop speakers that only has a 3.5mm male connector. One source is actually a bunch of sources from an unpowered rca switch box 4 in 1 out, the other two are going directly to Y cables from their own rca sources.
If there is a FAR simpler way to do what I'm doing with all these fucking adapters or the squid cable I would like to know what it is.

Is there a duplicate image finder that actually compares hashes rather then looking for visual similarity?

How do I write a program that converts a string of text in iso 222 jp encoding to something I can read?

2022*

Just use a hash comparer?

>tfw wrote one of the billion programs available that very quickly compares hashes inside a folder and either deletes or moves repeating files
>can't post here because anonymous
I'm sorry user.
Though it is quite easy to whip up a Python script to do so. Use hash tables to make it blazing fast.

>>can't post here because anonymous
What did he mean by this

You can install it. That won't activate it, but if you don't care about the watermark then knock yourself out.

Enough faggot pedo OPs.
Also, can I decide what permissions to give devices connected to my SMB server based on local IP address?

Attached: 14407531.gif (600x600, 1.96M)

So I have a 3 year old Sapphire Nitro 380X that has been working flawlessly up until yesterday. I updated the drivers from 18.5.2 to 19.1.1 two or three days ago and noticed a bunch of "Radeon wattman has restarted due to an unexpected failure" (or something along those lines) warnings, but the card still worked fine so I ignored them.

Yesterday I was playing Ace Combat 7 when I alt tabbed out of the game to run MSI Afterburner, and as soon as the program showed up on screen everything went green and I had to force restart the PC. I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the drivers and roll back to 18.5.2, and I still got screen artifacts and green screen whenever I did anything; artifacts appeared even when just moving the mouse. Open any program? Crash. Open Radeon Settings? Crash. Open any folder? Crash. It even crashed when changing the clock time.

Used DDU again and this time I installed the 18.12.2 drivers, no dice. Tried other methods of uninstalling the card, like AMD's own driver cleanup utility and uninstalling the drivers via device manager. Nothing works, anything I do causes a green screen. I haven't tried other driver versions because at this point I'm fairly sure it's going to crash no matter what.

The weird part? This ONLY happens in Windows 7. I'm using Windows 10 right now (dual boot), where the card driver is 18.9.3, and everything is stable. I can even run games and everything works. The other weird part is that the card or the drivers started acting up the instant I ran MSI Afterburner, but I don't know if that's the cause or just a coincidence. I'm also sure it's not an issue with overheating.

Does this rule out the possibility that the card is dying? I don't know what to do at this point, and I'd rather not have to reinstall Windows 7 to see if that fixes anything.

I would check Thermal Paste on the GPU. Replace it with Artic Silver and see if the same results happen. May of been the original thermal paste is wearing off and that MSI Afterburner overheated the GPU.

What's the point of using a mounting plate? Do certain monitors require one to adapt to the VESA standard measurements? Why should you use the mounting plate as opposed to just mounting the monitor directly to the wall mount itself? Is it required on ultrawides due to their curved nature...?

Attached: 20190204_190516.jpg (4032x3024, 2.33M)

What vpn lets me post on Jow Forums?

nice try, but nobody's going to post that here and get them banned

vpns are banned?

read the rules

damn

Attached: 1516705151964.jpg (2048x2048, 405K)

But if the card is fried then why does it work perfectly when I'm in windows 10?

you don't have to be any of those things to appreciate c@bois

where did the phone ricing general go?

I asked this in the last thread but i'll ask again here.

Alright, I have RX580 and win 7. i keep getting warning from games about changing color schemes to save on vram. but these games are using 2-4GB of vram max. I had fewer of these pops up when i used to have a 3GBvram card (I was on win8.1 at the time. i'd use it now if AMD still supported it). So, i look into DXdiag and it's coming up 4GB. the AMD driver and GPU-Z still say 8GB.

so my dumb question is; is there a way to maybe edit a registry entry to force the OS to think my GPU has more Vram (real reading of 8gb) then it is currently reading?

Attached: 1545440141817.jpg (507x562, 37K)

help pls

Does anyone know of a chair that is good for long hours of programming? Like comfortable, breaths, reclines, durable, rated up to at least 12-16 hours a day at 250 lb, and won't break immediately that won't cost more than $400? Racing chairs all seem to suck. I do like the Staples Hyken Technical Mesh Task Chair, Charcoal Gray, but it doesn't recline as much as I prefer, which isn't a huge deal, but I am also 6'2'' so the back is a bit short. What does everyone else here use?

Attached: 4 - 1b9e0fc679138b58577430696daa9e343b55d5a3.png (335x335, 121K)

used office chair from a thrift shop or bankruptcy reseller. replace the gas spring with a fresh tall one. most of the parts are replaceable if you need new wheels etc

Any other ideas?
I get that the symptoms indicate card death but it doesn't make any fucking sense that it would shit itself when I'm using windows 7 but then work perfectly when I switch to windows 10, and I don't have another card to test if it's a problem with my 380X or something else

> rated up to at least 12-16 hours a day at 250 lb
> sitting for 12-16 hours daily with 250 lb weight
"No"

DX Racer

> everything went green
Something with the memory. I heard Afterburner and Wattman don't go together.
> I'm also sure it's not an issue with overheating.
it may be, since you don't have sensors on every part of your GPU. For me, lowering memory voltage (in fact, I believe memory controller voltage) in Wattman by -50mV helped and I don't get these sudden "green screens".
> why now
Components degrade under high voltage, so it's possible it will die if you don't lower it. It may not be the case, though.
> why it works in 10
Maybe AMD added some compatibility layer for Wattman and Afterburner for 10, but didn't for 7, I don't know.

>I heard Afterburner and Wattman don't go together.
But would that cause it to crash even when Afterburner is not running?
How do I get rid of Wattman? I don't see an option to not install it

Also I'm not doing any overclocking, I use Afterburner purely for monitoring purposes and sometimes taking screenshots. Never touched Wattman either

> would that cause it to crash even when Afterburner is not running?
No, that means something else causes it.
> How do I get rid of Wattman?
I dunno, maybe you can't.

fucking shit, i've been trying to make an up to date image of windows 10 for the last 5 days, and nothing fucking works right
how does anyone put up with this shit?

>something else causes it
Any ideas?

I accidentally encrypted my /boot partition when installing Linux. How do I undo this?

What mail provider isn't compromised these days
Protonis a no-no right

>go into safe mode and uninstall MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner
>then install AMD drivers
>run windows 7
>no screen artifacts
>no crashes
>games run fine
>everything stable, everything works
All this fucking headache and the fix was as simple as getting rid of Afterburner, fuck's sake

The question now is why would Afterburner and the AMD drivers start acting out now when I've been using them together for three years without issues. Could it be because I had an old version of Afterburner? Doesn't really make sense since up until this week I had used that old version of Afterburner with old AMD drivers

i have Intel Core i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz and AMD Radeon R7 370 Series. what should i upgrade my video card to and are used video cards worth trying out? my price range is $200 max. is my cpu still good for a while?

You can get a RX 580 for around 210-220 if you can stretch your budget a bit. If you can't then try used, but imo buying second hand PC hardware is playing russian roulette. Especially these days when a lot of these used cards come from crypto miners

You can definitely setup an encrypted boot successfully, but it's not really worth it. Assuming you put /boot in an LVM volume you're probably best off creating a new /boot outside of the volume and copying everything over. Do this from a live cd, chroot in, edit fstab and run update-grub.

>Firefox no longer opens a save prompt by clicking on "Download" just refreshes the page
>If I right click save as it let's me save
What is this bullshit

Attached: 1536728136966.jpg (716x717, 32K)

what are the best parameters to encode vp8 videos using still images? I want to prevent weird pixelated frames. I can't use vp9 for lossless encoding. what I tried without great results
>-minrate 1m -maxrate 1m -b:v 1m -crf 4 -qmin 0 -qmax 25

Could anyone help me figure out what link I need to use in Nori (github.com/tjg1/nori) for it to work with unsplash? Also how could I find a link like that for any image hosting website?

Dont use shitty add riddled file hosts that have malware js

So i did some stuff to the about:config of firefox to better privatize it.
The stuff shown here
privacytools.io/#about_config
Problem, now if i have to solve a recaptcha (not strictly the Jow Forums ones) i'm now forced to do the manual stuff since Buster won't work anymore (it says that i'm sending automated requests).
Now, what do i need to put back on default to get Buster working properly again?

Now that I've confirmed that MSI Afterburner was the source of my GPU driver issues, what's a similar program for monitoring performance in game?

This is what I use.
ffmpeg -c:v libvpx -crf 10 -b:v 0 -deadline good -cpu-used 5 -pix_fmt yuv420p -pass 1 -f null -
ffmpeg -c:v libvpx -crf 10 -b:v 0 -deadline good -cpu-used 0 -pix_fmt yuv420p -pass 2

-crf 10 acts as target quality. -b:v 0 switches to constant quality mode. -pix_fmt yuv420p prevents input pictures with an alpha channel from throwing errors (alternatively explicitly deactivate alternate reference frames with -auto-alt-ref 0).
2-pass encoding is necessary even with constant quality mode enabled, because libvpx offers no reliable bitrate control with a single pass.
If you plan on looping a single image to some music, then add -r 1 -g 10. -r 1 to reduce the frame rate to 1 fps. -g 10 to set a custom keyframe interval for easier seeking (this also allows you to control the file size without choosing a lower quality).

Do I need to do it through a live cd? I mean, it's just the /boot partition.

Hi friends
I have been struggling with my dedicated gaming rig, it crashes under heavier loads, usually with stupid win10 frowny face bsod, citing different memory errors each time. The bluetooth connection is also atrocious.
CPU is Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo is Gigabyte x470 gaming 5 wifi, and I think that this motherboard might be to blame based on the Amazon reviews. Anyone have trouble with this board? Anyone have recommendations for a solid AMD motherboard? Rolling back to my i7 4770k in the mean time.

whats a good cooler to lower cpu temp from 100 to 70-80c air cooled possible?

Repost, anyone know a way to specifically export/backup the starred/favourited messages on whatsapp?

I saw one program that can do it, but it costs like 20-30 fucking bucks for some reason.
I'm guessing there has to be a way to do it manually. Backing up the entire message history is easy, but there's like 300k messages in there and I want specifically the starred ones.

It's hilarious how much space whatsapp messages take up. It's about 700mb here, just for messages.

Attached: 1549383186930[1].jpg (1280x720, 124K)

My few-month-old GTX 1080 (MSI) idles at 40-44°C and in a game will quickly ramp and maintain at 70-80+°C while the fans are noticeably louder. While it isn't nuclear, it doesn't sit right with me that it gets that hot, especially that quickly. My tower is only a mid-case where the top and front aren't open (Versa N21--do not get use this), but I don't think it's (at least primarily) due to this. The case and fans are clean (often use compressed air specifically made for these types of components), I don't leave the computer running 24/7, and the environment it is in is fairly well ventilated and not very hot.

So this brings me to my question, how stupid of an idea is it to clean and reapply thermal paste for a GPU that is fairly new? I've heard this in general is a good idea for GPU (ignoring age), and for 1060 specifically other people have had high heat issues too. My BIOS is just on balanced preset and only changed things to make sure RAM are correct and I'm not overclocking.

TL;DR: How dumb is it to reapply thermal paste for a few-month-old GPU?

Yeah, you probably can. It depends on what your current setup is. Unmounting boot and remounting a new one is totally possible. Make sure to have a bootable flash drive in case anything goes wrong, of course.

>1080 typo
It's a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. Apologies.

i have an ssd without a computer -- i'd like to use it as external storage since it's like 3tb. how can i accomplish this?

try using a 2.5" SATA drive enclosure

Might as well try, some quality paste might be better than whatever they had in it by default. If it doesn't help you could have just gotten unlucky in the silicon lottery.

Unrelated, but what processor do you use? I'm this user and I'm looking for ryzen mobo recommendations

I'll probably reapply in the next few days as it will be a good opportunity then actually.

>CPU
i7 8700. The CPU is amazing, and GPU, too, except the temps are concerning. Incredibly tempted to buy another tower but that's a pain the ass, still might, though. Versa N21 is mediocre and very over-priced.

Ever since a week ago I can't post anymore using Jow Forums X on Firefox 65.0. I get an error that says the file upload failed even if there is no file. If I disable Jow Forums X I can post fine. I can also post with 4chanX on in other browsers just not in Firefox

Seems to work now nvm

1st pass is never ending. what's wrong with my lines? the timestamp stays at 0:00:00.000. I know I have -loop 1 but I also added the audio source and -shortest to end the loop when the audio source finishes

Attached: file.png (1147x64, 16K)

Easiest way to send an encrypted email attachment to my mother so she doesn't have to install a separate archiver to open it? Looking to send an RSA key to my mom to have her print it out and put it in a safe in the event I have an untimely death and she needs to have someone access and take down my webserver on AWS.

No I'm not suicidal, but I did have a recent brush with my own mortality and would like to be more prepared.

Attached: index.jpg (1280x720, 205K)

Anyone know how long a 320gb hard drive should take to recover on DDrescue? its just started pass 2 after 4 days

That's one fucked drive. I recently used ddrescue to move a ~1TB partition from a slowly dying drive to a new one and it took about 4 hours. No real errors of course, those would probably make it worse. As would crappy slow interfaces instead of ahci SATA.