>E2EE

Is there any reason not to use it?

Attached: signal.png (1024x1024, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop
riot.im
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Faggy blue colour

Can I register with an anonymous email account?

all NPCs use whatsapp, that's the issue. It's like VHS vs. beta

*blocks your path*

Attached: Screenshot_20190206-134533_Signal.png (2048x911, 236K)

Just buy a burner sim.

It took me like a year to redpill all my normie friends on signal, now even if they have something else installed we still use signal to talk to each other.

You can use it without GPS.

I live in Australia. Recently, I've been telling everyone I know to install Signal before Assistance and Access makes it a whole more more difficult. It's what I primarily use for communication.

yeah the only good thing about non-Jow Forums friends is that they don't care how much shit is installed on their phones. makes it easier to convince them

freetard trash

goyim slave

The app being open source allows absolutely anyone to audit the code. Security through obscurity is shit and never works. Name a better instant messaging service.

Not since I updated it

>pay to use AND needs a phone to verify
Fuck off

Wire and Riot.im are objectively better.

now otherwise to have push notifications?

>mobile number is clearly seen in chat window
>everyone nearby can easily see and steal it
>even whatsapp does this right in not showing anything but the name
>focus on "privacy"

>AND needs a phone to verify
Do you not own a phone? You can find working phones for $10 on the second hand market. Stop making excuses.

Privacy != anonymity.

Just because I know your phone number and that of the person you're talking to doesn't mean I know what you're saying.

Finally someone with a brain. Thank you

The guy behind it is a faggot

so he doesn't hate white men and actually fucking loves them? sign me up senpai

Who?

Is Telegram better?

Nevermind.

No. It's not.

Lmfao you can't even use it without play services? And this passes as "FOSS" these days?

pngquant

pozzed
relies on jewgle
needs a phone number to register

Attached: 1545672372396.jpg (180x231, 16K)

That's not the point.
>Privacy != anonymity.
I know that. But it's a little thing that some people bothers and the devs are to ignorant to fix literally one line of code.

Yes, it is.

>pay 10$ to use this shitty non-anonymous messenger when others do it for free
Kys

It's basically the same shit just not open source and with a worse encryption.

SMS

You complaining that an application which allows you to verify the person you are talking are you they say they are isn't anonymous. If I know someone personally, I can message them securely and privately. If I don't want them to have my identity, I could buy a burner sim and $10 second hand phone. All while you shift the goalposts.

And what makes telegram's encryption "worse"? Provide sources for your claims, monkey

$10 is for a phone, with the assumption that you don't own a phone. Your complaint is as stupid as saying that TAILS is a terrible operating system because you may need to spend money on a couple of USB flash drives.

FSB has encryption algorithms

>Paintext
>Costs money per message use when overseas

It works just fine without Play Services.
If you install it while having GPS/microG installed, you need to reinstall it after removing GPS/microG.

If it's FOSS, why isn't on F-Droid?

Attached: 123.jpg (1000x1500, 936K)

No, I'm saying SIM cards are botnet and not a proper way to register users. I don't own a SIM card, I own a fucking USB.

i don't get what you're trying to say.
It's not the person you are writing the message.
It's about the person that sits right beside of the person you're writing the message, is a total stranger, and can easily steal this number.

If the right person steals the number, i'm sure they know how to do some damage to your personal life (or the person you're chatting with)

>which allows you to verify the person you are talking
It's not always that's simple if you're communicating with a person, which you know personally but still lives miles away from you

Also, the iOS version doesn't have this problem.
This inconsistency is what drives some people crazy.

gaydroid

kys

Retarded CIA nigger.

Attached: 1549720801741.png (720x1107, 168K)

okay

I think it was something to do with Signal Devs not liking how signing works with F-Droid or some shit like that. It's not really that relevant.

>algorithms

Attached: 2.jpg (612x612, 84K)

Based
Russian shills BTFO

I like its package id

They roll their own crypto.

F-Droid is full of bullshit, a lot of FOSS apps don't even bother with it due their dumb policies and irregular builds/repo updates.

No. Telegram is worse: Encryption is off by default and content is stored in the cloud.

Works fine without on my machine

>It's about the person that sits right beside of the person you're writing the message, is a total stranger, and can easily steal this number.
>If the right person steals the number, i'm sure they know how to do some damage to your personal life (or the person you're chatting with)
Signal generates your private keys on your device and notifies you if any of your contact's keys change.

... this isn't real, right?

It's prob not.

A lot of countries require you to verify your identity when you get a sim.

It being GPL doesn't really mean much if they don't release the source code.
Also have fun using backdoored builds from google play.

>trusting a third party server
Why don't you just use XMPP/Matrix with your own server though?

> devs close 2000 issues on github. just because it's too much. fuck you dear user and your bug reports

>Signal generates your private keys on your device and notifies you if any of your contact's keys change.
that's correct. But the phone number is not restricted to Signal only, that's what i meant.

Don't get me wrong, i like Signal. But this is a design choice that i (and many other people i know) cannot understand because, there is no other messenger that does that, except Signal for Android.
This was also addressed a few times on github, but the devs refuse to fix it without any explanation.

Can I have everyone's attention please?
FUCK SIGNAL
FUCK SIM CARDS
FUCK JEWGLE
FUCK CIA
FUCK KIKES AND NIGGERS
Thank you.

Attached: 1539570296839.png (1024x768, 280K)

It can't be GPL if they don't release the source code

>Wire and Riot.im
Wire is slow and Riot is buggy as fuck.

>buy
Fuck off

I used to have the mindset that being tied to your mobile number was a security negative, but now I think it's superior to gpg in some sense because at least you can know for sure who you are messaging. with gpg there is no way to know if you are talking to the right person unless you physically exchange keys in public, like with a usb drive.

Thoughs on Keybase? OpenKeychain lets you use them as a public key repository.

Attached: iAVvezl.jpg (624x600, 49K)

Its servers are hosted on AWS.

If you use whatever app you can bet they're reading your messages when they land in their servers, maybe Signal only reads the metadata. When you use SMS there's a chance of your messages being intercepted, but it's less than the 100% chance you have when using a messaging app.

Since when is "literally no one uses it" considered many users?

>blue color
>faggy

Attached: 1540663359064.jpg (540x413, 45K)

Serious question. How do I convince people to use this with me?

a messenger is worth precisely nothing if nobody is fucking using it.

it's fucking hopeless.

us army has approved signal as an official use app for sending sensitive information.

Does Signal have a Desktop Application? Should I use that or Matrix/Riot ?

I think there is a Chrome extension.

>phone number as user identifier

Because we are past the point of secret cryptographic algorithms retard

telegram is a garbage russian botnet
the fact that its closed source, unaudited and made up by the telegram devs and also not enabled by default

It's not MEANT to be anonymous, stop repeating this FUD
Use a different messenger for anonymous shit like Riot
This is just for secure messaging/calling with contacts and whatnot
I stopped using literally all social media a few years back and basically everyone I talk to installed it to talk to me, it's not that hard

>want to avoid botnet
>still forced to use chrome

the absolute STATE of privacy nerds kek

The servers aren't under your control and you have no way to run your own servers.
Avoid.
Matrix/Riot is the way forward.
The client protocol allows you to create your own client very easily, that's why there are many different clients available (multiple desktop ones, android, etc.).
Riot is the most polished one, but it's web based. Quaternion is Qt/C++ and pretty decent.

You can also run your own server that can join the federation or become a private federation. You are in full control of your data.

There's a standalone completely open source desktop application for all linux distributions, and probably windows and mac, you fucking retard
github.com/signalapp/Signal-Desktop

it does have a desktop application and it works stand alone, its electron though

>check out nehko and quaternion
>have to tell my friends how to modify cmake files and compile them from source code with visual studio

Yeah that's gonna help switch them over from Discord.

Attached: 1548340724397.jpg (450x600, 40K)

If they are discordfags then they would be using Riot, not Quaternion or Nehko.
What's your point?

riot.im

Nextcloud offers similar functionality now. You could host and grant access. Nobody needs to compile anything.

Signal uses both variants depending on your device.
When you have GPS, it uses GPS. When you don't have it, you get a background service and sockets.
user probably has GPS, installed Signal and then turned GPS off, which lead to the error.

Attached: 1549746685939.png (679x136, 16K)

And that's a good thing. It's called "domain fronting" and makes sure certain countries can't take down signal by censoring the servers.

Last I heard (some time ago) they were getting pulled off AWS. I take it that's been resolved?