>Start searching about it
>Developed using Rust and Assembly
>No POSIX
>okay
>After some research in some forums and their documentations
>I can resume their ideas in the follow statements
>Replace Linux Kernel
>We use Rust, so we don't have the amount of bugs that others OS's has
>Redox OS it's secure, even more secure than OpenBSD.

I just want to say one thing.
When Redox OS become popular, this statement that "We don't have many bugs because of Rust", will fail. They don't have alot of bugs, because nobody use this fucking shit.

Attached: redox.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography
doc.redox-os.org/book/introduction/will_redox_replace_linux.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>They don't have alot of bugs, because nobody use this fucking shit.
That's not how bugs work.

>number of bugs depends on the language used

Attached: images.png (213x237, 8K)

When your language and compiler prohibits you from even writing code that can lead to certain types of bugs (null pointer exceptions, array out of bounds accesses, etc), then yes, choice of language has an influence on the number of bugs.

>your language and compiler prohibits you from even writing code
I'll stop here. Eventually this will be the actual future. Programming is gonna be with little colorful scratch blocks and restricted heavily by the """compiler""".
I can see it now. Big brother stopping you from writing """unsafe""" code that would damage the status quo. Governments like Australia are already banning encryption. Soon we will see a banning of unauthorized compilers that allow you to use the eeevil encryption libraries. You will only be able to use the """safe""" government-supplied compiler to write anything.

Yes.

I'm literally taking a cryptography class right now. The fuck is the government going to do to stop me from encrypting my own shit?

Put you in jail.

you're a dumb delusional buypig, get out of threads you do not understand

Isn't the purpose of that class to teach you just that?

Also cold boot attacks and direct RAM dumps

Pretty much. The law in Australia states that all service providers that have encryption in their products have to include a backdoor on request, so that the feds can read anything they want.

>more users and interest isn't likely to expose more problems in the code

Paranoid faggot detected

>replace linux kernel
With what? their own kernel? what about driver support? AMD / Nvidia?

I'm really curious to see if this project gets popular and actually holds what it promises.

No, the future is something that focuses on minimal cost abstractions and no required runtime like Rust, and a powerful dependent type system like Idris, and an AI proof and coding assistant.

As for crypto, you can't put the cat back into the bag: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography

Worst case, we end up in a cyberpunk future where the hacker underground uses aesthetic old hardware made before everything was backdoored.

Stop being clinically retarded please.

To an extent, yeah
Just look at PHP and C software, they together make up the vast majority of bugs

Imagine being this much of a boomer

those were genuine questions, but fuck you and this thread.

It literally does. Some languages make it much harder to debug or even find bugs than others. For example, you can have leaks in GC'd languages, but you can't have use-after-frees. Languages that enforce bounds-checks can't have buffer overruns. Functional constructs can't have race conditions. Silent number overflows are also a source of major bugs in languages that allow that.

I accept your surrender.

>Tools do not affect the final product
Consider suicide

Redox ex-developer here

We never aimed and probably still don't aim to replace Linux.

Also

>no bugs

Rust pretty much only prevents buffer overruns and modifying an container while iterating it. It will prevent dumb stuff like Heartbleed but logic errors can still happen and will introduce bugs.

I haven't ran Redox for over a year but I'm pretty sure it's still crashing every other second and audio isn't working most of the time

Instead of shilling maybe talk about some features.

Redox URI based schemes (I don't remember the label we gave them) are really dope. You would create a server which would bind to a protocol name, then by using that name you could access it like a filesystem. I remember someone made a "r34:" scheme so you could just open "r34://overwatch" in the file manager and browse a list of every image with that tag, and other applicable tags would show as other directories.

>Replace Linux kernel
doc.redox-os.org/book/introduction/will_redox_replace_linux.html

Jow Forums is a football website. You can only be pro- or anti-. There are no nuanced discussions to be had.
>inb4 anime
You can't like both anime and football.

I play with Rust as a hobby.

The notion that using Rust leads to bug free code alone makes me hope this dumbass boondoggle fails.

>When Redox OS become popular,
Things that will never happen. There is practically zero hardware support and it is slow as fuck, development is hardly moving.

Attached: 1521476742401.png (620x463, 273K)

Cold boot attacks are largely irrelevant.

It's just another UNIX-like. Who gives a shit? It's all the same thing