1999 born here. My big bro was born in 1987. He said that when he started high school in 2002...

1999 born here. My big bro was born in 1987. He said that when he started high school in 2002, almost nobody in his grade had a cell phone and that texting during class didn't really become a common problem until around 2005. Is he full of shit? I thought that every teen had a cell phone during the early 2000s.

Attached: 1549770595279.jpg (300x250, 13K)

big bro is right
go give him a hug

Attached: 1549766713856.jpg (436x436, 75K)

I can't tell if you're memeing here or not. If you're not, god fucking damn how ignorant people are. If you are, fuck you.
In middle school in 2005, almost nobody had a cell phone where I was.

I read that 62 percent of people had a cell phone in 2002, unless I'm remembering wrong and it was 62 percent of adults

I don't recall anyone having a cell phone in high school in 2006 either.

Attached: 1389233657157.jpg (365x765, 127K)

Texting in class wasn't big until phone keyboards were popular. No one actually liked T9

It's probably adults. In 2005, I DID get a cell phone for Christmas. It was a flip phone that was occasionally on. Any data to download a very basic app or custom ring tone was very expensive. Literally useless for internet browsing. I texted some runescape friends sometimes, and I got bitched at because texting costs money. It was basically used for nothing but emergencies only. And it only had service for 3 months total or something. It was primarily used for garbage videos, and photos.

He was right.
Lots of people had phones in my area but they were shittier. Usually pic related but black.
Texting during class did happen sometimes and phones got taken away rarely.
But I mean look at the damn thing, clicking each button multiple times for a single letter.

Attached: moto razr.jpg (600x600, 53K)

Pretty much.
Only rich niggas with the palms could enjoy texting in that era

2019: now we have teens sending memes and nudes during class

Cell phones really took off in my school in 2004. Never saw anyone texting in class though, since that was an instant suspension and getting caught twice was expulsion.

Some classmates had a pager in the year 2000, nobody had phones. Not even teachers.

Millennial here.
I went to middle School in the age of razrs. It was actually easier to text because you got tactile feedback and strong muscle memory, you could glance at a text and write a full perfect response without another look at the screen. Texting in class was easy because you just keep the phone on silent and only look when the teacher isn't, and keep the phone out of sight, it was easy to text with one hand while writing notes or assignments with the other.

Texting cost money but texts were cheaper than minutes and there were texting oriented plans. Some parents actually liked it because it was like giving your kids a pager they'd actually carry and if they pretended not to see your texts you knew it was bullshit.

cell phones sucked before 2004 so there was no reason to get one. all you could do was text or play tetris

>tetris
I think you mean Snake. Tetris was a bit too high tech.

Tfw had an iPAQ in 04
Feels good man

nah senpai

Attached: Ericsson-T28-2014-6-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 97K)

I went to college in 2002 and got my first mobile (the based 3310).

I got my first cell phone in 2006 I think
this bad boy here

Attached: sony-ericsson-k300i.jpg (300x300, 16K)

The first cell phone that I got first hand was the Nokia 3510i. It ran Java, first polyphonic ringtones, colour screen. It was pretty fuckin badass after using the 3210 and 3310. These phones were literally indestructible.

After that, I had two Sony Ericsson phones and then finally the iPhone when it was first released. Times were much easier back then.

Attached: 51o87QjDWgL._SY450_.jpg (347x450, 25K)

2002 sounds about right. Got my first cell phone then.

I was born in 1985, people started getting cellphones near the end of high school, but only some people had them and their texting capabilities were pretty limited so people weren't texting all the time

>tfw this big boy was my first cell phone
Born in 1992, my parents wanted me to have a cell phone since I went to school in another town and took the bus there. Not one of those fancy schmancy school buses, just the regular ass bus.
I think I got it in 1999 or 2000, was replaced with a Nokia 3210 shortly after, but most of my classmates didn't have cell phones until at least 2005.

Attached: motorola_microtac_5200_by_redfield_1982_d9n6mnl-pre.jpg (1006x794, 111K)

About right. I think in my area maybe half the kids had phones in 05-06.

Do American schools just have no discipline? Don't kids there get in deep shit like having to come to school on the weekend, or having to do community service for fucking up?

Nobody had a cellphone in high school for me born in 1986. That shit was ridiculously expensive, that even adults having them was a luxury.

The home phone was in use at all times in houses with teenage girls.

i was in college from 2003, and i can confirm not many kids had cellphones at that point
many of the teachers had one though, i think the first time i ever used a cellphone was to play snake on a teacher's nokia phone in either 1998 or 1999
i didn't own a cellphone in 2003

A ha ha ha. I was in college in 1999. I had to use a public phone to call my gf. Had to queue for it too. It's fun watching other people emoting while on the public phone. Sometimes they hug the booth, other times they punch it.

He's right. Almost nobody had cellphones back in highschool. '87 here.

My parents had cellphone + pager. I didn't.

they were expensive, and the cheaper ones pretty much only made calls and sent texts, they were just phones
the internet was... still kind of new as far as the general public was concerned, and hardly anyone actually relied on it
so as far as parents were concerned, getting a kid a phone was only useful for an emergency line, and not a terribly cheap one. giving pocket money to use payphones was much cheaper for that
and of course most kids couldn't afford cellphones

that said, i went to an all-boys college. i wouldn't be surprised if girls got into them sooner, since they tend to like to chat a lot more
my sister sure got into it sooner than i did, she could type on a T9 pad like it was a keyboard

>dat age gap
My sister was born over a decade from me as well. It feels like I barely know her.
Worst is she's doing this to her kids as well. The oldest one is old enough to have been the father of the latest.

Attached: 1531825492784.jpg (1024x576, 208K)

It's the same with the older generations in my family, but that's more 'one kid every year for 20 years straight, then divorce that wife and start over.'

i have a sister 2 years older than me, i can't even imagine having a sibling from a different generation

1996 here

first time I've seen smartphone was in secondary school (2012~).
Before that there were only dumphones and seldom someone used their phone during class.
But most of the people were "behind the times" in that place so it may be different in western countries.
We had internet in 2002-03 or something like that and it was slow as fuck 128 and later 512kB (~50kb DW speed).

My grandma had like 9 child, But her children only had 4 kids at most, some are even not married and single.

Also this may not be obvious, but that oldest nephew is old enough to legally post on Jow Forums now, and i'm not even past 30...

yea well... my sister has a kid, and i'm still a virgin, at 29.
we're very different people.

Jesus christ you sppiled young fucks are worthless

In 2003 almost everyone has even the poorfags too. I got mine first one in 2001.

owo

Dunno bout your poor-ass brother, but I was born in 83 and had my first cell phone in 99, a mitsubishi brick. Shit was cash.

> ERICSSON T28

BASED AND GREATEST OF ALL TIME

worked my ass on my bike delivery job to afford one in 2000 and had it senior year of high school... it was literally the iPhone of 2G phones... still have it too but it wont work in my country anymore

also in regards to OP question i got my first nokia in '98 no one at school had phones before that. '98 was when pre-paid plans allowed school kids to own one without expensive 24 month contracts. They jewed us good for those texts and minutes.

Attached: Ericsson-T28s.jpg (1200x1600, 267K)

sent from my Siemens

Attached: 1522289712950.jpg (500x532, 47K)

I only got my cell phone 2 years ago. I went through high school without one.

In the year you were born, nobody was using phones in the middle of high school. If one of the rare kids whose parents got them a cell phone to use as a leash happened to break it out in class, it would be confiscated for the rest of the day. Phones didn't become an unholy plague of locusts until the iphone, and that was in 2007.

High schools went to shit when the boomers who rebelled against their schools in the 60's became the new administrators. It depends on the local culture and there's some places where the parents discipline the schools, but things aren't like they used to be.

Those were working adults whose employers wanted to call them at any time, or drivers who were worried about getting stuck if their car broke down.

Fucking zoomers. Bitch I didn't get a proper phone on my own until I was past high school.

He is right, you were not even allowed to bring phones to the school when I was in high school. Fucking zoomers.

you dum shit I got my first smartphone 2 years after high school it was HTC wildfire S, look it up.
No one in school had phones, let alone iphone or anything like that, even the rich kids.

yeah school was better when teachers beat the kids

It unironically is

Attached: 1518713929816.jpg (659x525, 41K)

dumbass zoomer

T9 was great you brainlet

Whatever retard

Attached: 1544122076904.jpg (608x473, 49K)

Born in 1986. Most kids had cell phones, but cell phones and cell phone plans still sucked so it wasn't really a class-time problem. It wasn't like people were glued to their screens chatting back and forth all class. It was more like if you didn't have a cell phone you'd get left behind because you'd never hear your friend's plans and plan changes.

go find a guy to spank you if corporal punishment turns you on so much

Nice projection

Attached: 1545613833345.gif (648x720, 484K)

This was my phone in the early 2000s. So no, texting wasn't that common. Also, shit cost like 20 or 30 cents per 160 characters, so why would I spend all day wasting money?
Born in 1991 here

Attached: images.jpg (194x259, 6K)

'88-er here

He's right. The first time I saw a kid with a cell phone was in 2001 or 2002. When I started high school in 2003 almost everyone had a phone, save for a few. Siemens C45, nokia 3310-3410, similar base phones. I guess texting could be a problem in more developed countries, in here the average social kid never had enough money on his/her phone (every kid had a prepaid, even most adults had prepaid. Only businesspeople and company-owned numbers were subscription based).

1988 born here. I got my first cell phone in 2006.

Go find a diversity friend to beat you up if random violence turns you on so much.

>diversity friend
is nigger filtered?

Nah they were pretty common by then. A few kids had 3310 or similar in the early 2000s, but by the mid 2000s most high schoolers had a phone, usually either some sorta Samsung or Motorola flip phone or one of these Sony-Ericcson Walkman phones with a card slot and pretty decent music playback.

Attached: W800i-Original-Sony-Ericsson-W800-3G-Scree-Mobile.jpg (400x393, 22K)

>people born after the 90s are openly allowed to use Jow Forums now

Attached: 1540395672071.jpg (400x388, 71K)

when i first visited Jow Forums, people born in the 90's weren't allowed to post here

Same if I had found it four months earlier.

He is right, my dad gave me pic related at my birthday.
In 2007 people weren't really as obsessed, at least in my area. It wasn't until Facebook that people came to be as they are now.
At my school, what people used the most was an iPod Touch.

God, I miss those times.

Attached: 6264-NokiaN958GBa-1.jpg (450x491, 73K)

With all these oldfags claiming how long they have been here, I started wondering - who is the user with longest presence here? Is there anyone who's been here since 2002?

It's a serious question. Imagine spending 17 years of your life lurking 4chin. Casually, maniacally, from time to time, doesn't matter.

Attached: 28056666_1569804823104200_2272525745664287084_n.jpg (500x333, 60K)

i've been here since 2006

Attached: savingathumbnail.jpg (169x160, 5K)

oldfag here, finished high school in 1998, the first time we even saw a cellphone was around 1995, the rich paki kid had one for emergencies

it didnt have a screen or any games

Jow Forums wasnt here in 2002, it began 2003
ive been here, on and off, since 2004
this place has changed a LOT, Jow Forums used to be the guro board, and there were no feminazis because only men used the internet back then

Seems about right im 1991 and i think i got one 2003-4 however it only got out of hand with the first iphones and ipod touch

even if 62% had one it doesnt mean they really used it much. most friends I had started out having a phone just for the sole reason of calling their parents if they wanted to be picked up earlier (bcs a teacher was sick). So they had a phone but they never really used it in the beginning. Thinking about it before the iPhone having a phone was a thing and people would brag about it but they would really just use it as a camera/mp3 player that can also call people and occasionally text someone. Texting did exist and especially the girls did their fair share of texting but it was still kinda inconvenient and didnt feel personal so it wasnt as bad as today.

I guess with smartphones, the ease of sharing pictures, gifs and emojis alongside other sorts of media texting has become more personal if you will. And thats why so many people do it all the fucking time. Back then texting meant texting not sending people gifs, pics, emojis or voicemessages.

yeah but it was just text, sure it can be kinda fun but with snapchat, whatsapp and others it has evolved to another level. some people I "text" with have some sort of autism because they have to send a gif every few lines...

People had cell phones. They were all black and white screens and clam style

Born in 1993 myself. My friends all basically had cellphones by 2008, but it took a while for them to become common among us kids/teens. What was funny was that our school was harsher about phones than they were about portable game systems, so I'd bring in my DS or PSP to class and often get away with it.
Didn't get a cell phone myself till 2012, and only got a proper smartphone two years ago.

how is it out of hand? i was already out of school by 2007

Also born in 93 and more or less the same here. Although phones were a thing before the iPhone they were mainly used as mp3 players with a neat camera. some people would brag about their new phone from nokia with a 2MP camera or some shit but in the end it was a bit pointless. Texting was a thing here but it was a bit inconvenient and not as exciting so it was something you would do on the busride home or so. And then once you got home you would log onto ICQ because it was amazing.

my area of britain is fucking scary these days, phone zombies everywhere, its like someone flipped a switch and instantly turned half the population into drooling retards, i was hoping this would just be a fad, but its looking like its here to stay, and will probably get even worse, dark future ahead

>post 2000 babies can now legally post on Jow Forums
>2004 was 15 years ago

Attached: QPIXXcB.jpg (550x366, 33K)

shut up
shut the FUCK up RIGHT NOW I DON'T WANNA HEAR IT DELETE THIS POST IMMEDIATELY

Attached: 1410738406839.jpg (900x900, 142K)

Are 1987 and 1999 really different generations?

When Jow Forums was first created, there were people born in 1985 too young to post here.

yes, 1987 is millenial, 1999 is generation z

But is a 1990s childhood that different from a 2000s childhood?

.....fuck you newfag yeah of course that's true.

This. Internet on a phone was laughable to me because I thought the screen is so small and shitty looking nobody's gonna use that shit.

Nigga yes how many times do we have to tell you? My 90s computer was a fucking massive white box that I used to play Freddie Fish. 2000s was a black Dell and Halo.

yes
kids raised on the internet are complete pussies
I thought I was sheltered as a kid but these internet babies make me look like a hardass

>I thought I was sheltered as a kid but these internet babies make me look like a hardass
i know that feel, only i know i had a very sheltered childhood, so many things i learned much later than most kids
but looking at my friends' kids... it's pretty concerning, honestly

Were 90s kids not raised on the internet?

"90s kids" were born in the 80s
People started to get the internet around the turn of the millenium

Yeah, everyone had one starting usually in middle school. Who the fuck is trying to claim that people didn't? I mean the fucking iphone came out in 08 for christ's sake, it's not like a flip phone was a big ticket item a few years earlier.

In Australia, lots of kid had Nokia 3315 phones by 2005, Really interesting technological shift to have experienced. Nowadays I'm not allowed to send bank transfers without getting an sms security code sent to my mobile.

98 born here, it was around 2007 literally every kid had one (after iPhone was released and announced), before that, only the cool kids had cellphones.

>a few years earlier

OP's brother said that cell phones WERE common a few years earlier (in 2005) lol

had a nokia for a few years 2001.
Then some shitty sagem, a viewty 2, w200i, k750,
then around 2008 transitioned into smartphones.
Think first smartphone was the blackberry curve 8520 around 2010.
Next was the xperia mini with sliding keyboard, goddamn do I miss that phone :(

hardly anyone had internet access before the late 90's, and the web wasn't much of anything before that point, either (at least from an average kids' perspective)
i was born in 1990, so i'm sort of half-way between 90's and 00's kid, my family got internet access in 2000

90's kids unless you were teenagers or older you basically had a pager and maybe a cellphone if your parents were rich enough to pay the fees. Early 2000's same thing but phones got better. You still had to deal with roaming and limited usage. Up until 2008-2010 you had push to talk among other things. Phones started getting to what you are used to now but small screens. Roaming and nights and weekends plans started to become better with no long distance fees etc. 2010 first nexus phone among other phones is when things started heating up. I'd put 2010-2013 as the years when the current phones really took hold. Kids didn't have phones in middle up until this point or later. High school is a touch different. 2010-2013 is when payphones started to disappear completely after about a decade of slowly being removed or not added. It's all very recent technically. I have kids in college elementary and middle still. Been through it all.

CONT
viewty 2 was my 2008 phone. Blackberry 20010.
So my first nokia was in 2001, first year of highschool.