Full vs Mid Towers

Benefits of having a full tower vs a mid tower?

Is it just more space for components?

Currently interested in pic related, but I'm not sure if i'll simply be paying premium for space that I won't ever use, or if the extra space is great for ventilation.

Attached: 750d.jpg (640x480, 19K)

Are you going to tell us the answer, or not op? I'm literally at the edge of my seat awaiting your next post.

I got a 750D and its too big for me. Also its an okay case feature wise but kinda flimsy (flexes a bit). Also one of the feet fell off.

Redditors don't know Google lmao.

Mids are usually fine and still offer room to spare. It's not just for possible future expansion but air flow. More room allows more air this better cooling. Only thing I'd use a smaller tower for is an office computer or media center of sorts. Glass is optional but it's always cool to inside a computer.

You can also purchase 5.25in storage drawers that go into the unused cd/dvd slots.

In doubt go for Mid.
Cases aren't the most expensive thing anyway.

Glass should be a practical decision.
>near sleeping people or tv watching - no glass (light pollution)
>in an office - glass (for diagnostics/maint)

>implying glass letting your RGB RAM sticks shine everywhere would be the most annoying thing near sleeping people

Get a mid tower, and remove the side panel.

>more room allows for more air for better cooling
Thats a retard understanding of cooling system.

Cooling system doesn't get better with larger space, it gets worse. However you have more room to customize the airflow. With a smaller case, you have less room to customize the airflow since its straightforward as it can get.

If properly cooled, smaller cases win in cooling setup due to the fact that there's less ways for warm air to sit still in the case as they are exhausted out soon as possible. Larger cases take more fans/energy to move the same air out of the case.

full towers have their benefits but probably don't matter enough for some people, if you don't need/want one then a mid tower is fine

not sure how many levels of sarcasm you're on, but i can't stand my bedroom computer having lights blinking, i duct-tape over any leds.

Blinking LEDs sure are annoying, especially blue ones, I've disabled them on my PC but left the red led fans on because it helps me sleep

There are more downsides to having a small atx case than a big atx case.

Guess you're right, but my reasoning would depend on the case really. If it still a mid tower with shitty fans then you're right, more space is bad. If it's a decent case with decent fans, then more space = more air = more heat dispersal/flow. That and it's nice to have extra working room inside.

Not sure what parts you're dealing with, but it'd help a lot to customize them to show warm colors. Yellow to about a warm purple can be helpful for sleeping.

Do it, awesome case

Since most people just use phones or laptops these days you might as well go full tower to stand out.

I prefer a "big and heavy" full tower. Still looking for a specific IBM workstation...

The reason is like you said, more components.
In my case, i want to put lots of hdd's, probably a EATX, one or two big radiators for cooling.

Why? I need lots of storage + backup, good GPU and CPU that last good years, no heavy gaming, only to play one or two games and to my edit software. But mostly is for storage.

>Have a server instead!
Probably its gonna happen soon, since i need more storage capacity than gaming something i will get bored soon.

Attached: 14563393.jpg (1018x764, 85K)

>Benefits of having a full tower vs a mid tower?
More airflow, places to put cooling fans in

Ease of maintenance since cabling isn't as cramped

Room for expansion

You can destroy a T-800 Terminator by dropping your PC on it

Attached: 1291180332293Cool_dog.jpg (637x469, 55K)

Ian it feasible to build inside of a server rack instead of a standard case?

>or if the extra space is great for ventilation
That's not how it works. If you want better ventilation you need a good ventilated case, the size has nothing to do with it.
Get a mid tower, most of them are already on the larger side. Full tower is so retarded unless you're doing SLI with thick GPUs and custom loop.

I have a Define R5 and I can't believe that's considered a mid tower nowadays. It's half empty even with beefy coolers, such a waste of space.
Pic related is an example of an average mid tower build, you could even argue that the large distance from the front fans is killing airflow to the components.

Attached: R5_COMPLETED_1.jpg (1631x1080, 402K)

It's going to look very empty if you go with a standard setup in a full tower but in a multi-GPU setup and/or a custom loop it is absolutely a benefit.

It's it's a 4u server case then yes, anything under that and you'll really have to start checking for size
but really unless it's going into a rack or your stacking them it's just easier to use a workstation/pedestal server case

If you’re concerned about heat or ventilation, the 750D has an Airflow edition that is close to the same price. I have that case and I have zero issues with heat of any kind building up in the case.

There is plenty of room left over for basic builds, but if you need more HDDs or are looking at using water cooling/multiple AIOs, the extra room is nice to have.

If you have multiple GPUs and/or a water cooling loop, or you need space for a ridiculous number of drives, a full tower might make sense. Otherwise mid tower or smaller is the right choice. Never go ITX though unless you're putting together something without a GPU or that has to be as small as physically possible, ITX is a meme, usually more expensive, harder to work on, and it runs hotter most of the time. You also typically need faster, louder fans to keep your components from overheating in the confined space.

>downdraft top-down CPU cooler

Attached: 1547683397947.jpg (640x539, 44K)

only reason to go for a full tower is if you have a shit load of HDDs and no money to get a NAS

imagine using a case bigger than 20L in the current year

I would go for mid if the case has proper cablemanagement space. I used to have one without it and the inside was full spaghetti, it killed any possibility for airflow.

Attached: full tower.jpg (1920x1080, 308K)

obviously a 20$ computer case will be shit, get a proper one and you will be fine

Mid towers are fine for the majority of people, maybe if you need the room for a bunch of hard drives or liquid cooling then a full tower makes sense. Or if you just want one then thats cool too.

Attached: pc-q25.jpg (924x612, 113K)

we need to go smaller!

Attached: but mom I NEED a full tower.jpg (717x960, 106K)

>le mini itx is the future may may
SFF will always be a niche in custom PCs

what's that fan doing??

also good luck powering 8 drives with this pleb psu

Attached: 1549838931921.jpg (924x612, 167K)

it's still pulling air into the cpu cooler and if you're that worried about airflow you can get one of those high wattage SFX PSUs but that's beside the point. Size isn't analogous to compatibility, you can get a small case that accommodates alot of full size parts without throttling.

Attached: average guts.jpg (838x642, 60K)

not him, but it might look like this:

Attached: asfdasgdagsfdags.png (2304x1296, 28K)

It's half empty because you have no storage.

Attached: Not enough HDDs.jpg (724x720, 179K)

Attached: 1469182386172.png (1000x870, 1.15M)

okay, this is funny as fuck

Attached: 1548177519762.jpg (900x900, 67K)

that thing could fit at least 5 ssds in every hdd slot

Sure, it can fit 5 ssds in every hdd slot and be still less storage than just putting 14TB HDDs in every slot with less sata connectors needed.

>It's not just for possible future expansion but air flow. More room allows more air this better cooling.

SFFags are seething reading this.

Bigass towers with tons of fans = peak performance

Literal meme. The lights in my case don't light up the room at all, they barely light up the desk itself. Typical Jow Forumstard

how many rgb lights are you running though?

I was thinking about just having RGB fans, no ram,psu,etc. and don't know how bright they get.

A ton of em, if you're just getting rgb ram it won't matter one bit. My room is ten times bigger than that table and basically most of it remains dark as fuck, the lights don't go beyond my table.

Attached: rgb wooo.jpg (1077x860, 31K)

Shit I misread fan as ram, look at the front of my case, thats how bright it'll look.

that's honestly not that bad

thanks user, maybe rgb's aren't such a big meme afterall

My full tower used to have 7 HDD + 1 SSD
But I consolidated most HDD to 2 large HDD connected via USB on my router as NAS.
Also upgraded to Ryzen + 2060 smaller than my previous 2500K+660Ti.
It looks so empty now

sucks that most mobos come with only 4 sata ports

Ok while you may have a valid point that OP is better off choosing a well ventilated case than choosing an oversized case for "better ventilation" your statement that:
>"Size has nothing to do with ventilation"
Is simply untrue.

Cute motherboard.

It's not as linear as that. With a larger case you also have a larger volume of air you can distribute heat to. The question here is if you have enough flow to pull hot air out or push cold air in.

They aren't. Even up close it's not like they light everything up.

Attached: rgb.png (1080x2160, 2.39M)

It does have storage, it has 2.5" SSD mounts in the back of the case. So you could have 2 SSDs without them being visible (not even counting NVMe).
I showed an average build. Having 7 mechanical drives in 2019 is not an average build. Most will have 1 or 2 storage devices that are mix of SSD-NVMe/HDD.

>Is simply untrue.
Why? If you can create a proper airflow in a case half the size, how is that not true?
Remember those big towers from the 90s/2000s that had almost closed off front panels and 1 or 2 80mm exhausts in the rear. Tell me how's airflow working out for them.
You're thinking size = more places to mount the fans, which is fine but that's not the whole story.

I've read about this one instance on the forums, this person had one of those console-style thin cases that ran an i7 + GTX 1080 and the temperature difference between an open air test bench and everything crammed in that miniature case was within 2-3 degrees during full load. The trick was that it had lots of perforated panels in the right places and even though it didn't have a single case fan, the case caused barely any obstructions because of proper ventilation.

Full towers are kind of stupid nowadays unless you have a specific use case. My home server is just in a Define R6 which comes with like 6 3.5" drive sleds and can support 8 if I buy two more. Mid towers support all but the most ridiculous custom loop configs and any length of video card. Full towers are basically a relic of the time when we needed 3 5.25" drive bays and 3 more 2.5" drive bays for optical drives, zip drives, sound knobs, fan controllers, etc.