Basic HTML

My university has a Unix webserver where students can upload via SSH and have their own "website" on the web.

Any tips for getting started with HTML? I know the basics, but was looking for something a bit beyond some simple Notepad shit.

Attached: ssh.png (613x519, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

use notepad++ like the rest of us

>notepad
nobody uses notepad++ for anything

type rm -rf /*

wtf is this

omg markup is so hard

Is it even possible to make a website look good without CSS?

it's not even possible with CSS depending on your definition of possible.

cringe and electronpilled

don't use bootstrap, use flexbox. try not to use any libraries at all. also, use visual studio code if you're a beginner.

Yes.
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

dont forget a href =

brainlet

there's not really a whole lot to say when it comes to learning HTML. W3 is still one of the neater resources for all sorts of HTML- and CSS-related tutorials and references for shit like elements, styles, formats, etc. imo, it wouldn't hurt to start there and experiment - give yourself some kind of basic design goal, try it out, fuck around with s and nesting some elements just for the sake of it. delve deeper by trying to comply to some standards or trying to make your shit compatible for browsers older than '03, it makes for alright practice with more limited elements.
technically, yeah. i recall a NeXT-based archive site using tables and attributes to create some pretty sweet aesthetics. can't recall where the fuck it was, though.

Attached: huh.png (267x267, 23K)

99.9% of web developers can't even center or vertically align something without spending 15 minutes on google every time trying to re-learn which of the myriad of ways actually works.

There isn't much else to HTML beyond the basics.
CSS on the other hand can be as simple or complex as you want.

Atom and notepad++ are for beta cucks. Real men use Sublime or VSC.

uh-huh.

Attached: Nano.png (560x305, 7K)

unix cli editors are for autistic queers, equally as bad as cucks

how so? granted, i get that Sublime and VSC generally have more options and are advanced as editors, but for something such as HTML, nano does the job just fine. *probably* vim, although nano's generally simpler and nicer to use.

no normie is going to edit text files in a terminal and using cli tools when better gui tools exist doesn't make you a leet hacker

imagine unironically using electron editors and being afraid of the cli
incredibly cringe and bloatpilled, not even worth a (you)

Vscode is electron you dribbler

imagine unironically using retarded meme words like unironically and cringe in a post on Jow Forums

>no normie is going to edit text files in a terminal
fair point, although OP says he's uploading through SSH. it would make more sense to edit his site over on the server therefore being able to see his changes in realtime, rather than having to edit and then upload after finishing up.
>using cli tools when better gui tools exist doesn't make you a leet hacker
it's not really about looking leet - again, i'm certain that GUI editors like Sublime and VSC have their fair share of user-friendly abilities, plugins and options which ease the author's programming, but we're talking about a relatively simple language which doesn't require such an editor for it.

I find it good to start with a basic working example and build on it. I knocked this up in a few minutes. It has a sensible hierarchy and some basic styling but it's pretty shitty at the moment. Try adding to it to make it look more like a real web page. If something doesn't work or you want to know how to do x, someone has almost certainly asked that question online before. Good luck!

My Kool Page

body {
background: wheat;
margin: auto;
max-width: 600px;
}
article {
background: white;
border: 1px solid black;
margin-top: 2em;
padding: .5em;
}
h1 {
font-size: 3em;
text-align: center;
}
h1, h2 {
font-family: sans;
}
.post-info {
color: #666;
font-style: italic;
}

My recent posts

Second post
Posted today
Description of my second post. Blah blah description

First post
Posted two days ago
Description of my first post

(also)
> Secure Shell Secure Shell

really? couldn't tell over the MASSIVE OPTIMIZATION real engineers at MICROSOFT have done to it, while keeping it OPEN SOURCE

quite a nice example nonetheless. although, fair reminder: it's sans-serif, not sans. the latter just defaults to serif, i think.

Maybe some browsers just made sans work to help lazy fucks like me, but yeah, sans-serif looks to be the proper keyword.

Attached: womm.png (497x480, 236K)

oh, weird. using chromium rn, don't think i've ever come across an instance where sans gets defaulted to sans-serif. compliancy autism, probably.

nobody uses CLI tools to edit text anymore since like the 1970s, we use TUIs now, and shit like nano is no different from notepad except you have to type its name instead of clicking on it to run it

more advanced editors and IDEs are cool for more complicated efforts, but for a simple website, it's not even worth bothering, just edit it on the machine that's hosting it and see the changes as they occur rather than putting a shitload of stuff in one upload run and then having to debug it after it inevitably fucks up

Thanks for the example and the help!

watch and learn

Attached: aMj4YbV_460sv.webm (400x300, 2.75M)

>soiblime.

>spreadsheet autist discovers HTML
God forbid these people enter the 21st century

what a legend

flexbox
try again faggot

>Any tips for getting started with HTML?
The official spec is actually pretty reader-friendly.
html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/

I literally do everything in it. Also, you can learn html in a day. And get something nice going in css in a weekend.

Doesn't mean shit if he can't fizzbuzz.

[spoiler]Holy shit.[/spoiler]

So? It's actually pretty good. Unlike the aids that is vim or whatever other autismal shit you'll show off, it's easy to extend it and it's not slow unlike anything else I ever used.

Emacs is easier to extend, faster, and leaner. It also works without windowing systems, and it has features up the ass

that looks like shit though

every web without css is a looking good website
you should fuck yourself on the closest startbucks web fucking cuck

they hate us cause they ain't us
go fuck yourself you brainlet fag

seamonkey gui wysiwyg html editor