ASP.NET Core

ASP.NET Core

Thoughts?

Attached: dotnet_basic.png (1170x822, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tpolecat.github.io/doobie/docs/11-Arrays.html
github.com/slick/slick-codegen-example/blob/master/src/main/scala/Example.scala
github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore
microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/project-snowflake-non-blocking-safe-manual-memory-management-net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It had a kinda shitty start but nowadays it's good and fast. It's refreshing how bloat-free it is compared to old ASP.NET. If you just want to get something quick and small up and running, it's practically on the level of Python in terms of simplicity and painlessness.

- also what can I really do with C# knowledge?
like I mean I hear a lot about .Net and C# but I fail to see the connection

.NET is just a framework and runtime that C# code can use, compile to and run on. It's to C# what JVM is to Java or a web browser's JavaScript engine is to JavaScript. .NET 4.7 or .NET Core are different implementations of .NET.

There are some other languages that target .NET as well, like F#.

How do you deploy a .net core to linux? to apache or nginx?

Windows is stopping it's wider adaptation and I hate them for it.

In my area there are a lot of C# asp.net jobs.

So I'm thinking of learning it instead of PHP, which I just started with. Although I'm not sure if I'm about to make a mistake or not.

You learn one language well and the rest of the languages are just some syntax changes and all that.
Starting with Asp is hard since you have to work with visual studio projects.

In what world is working with visual studio projects "hard"? It's extemely simple even for people who are programming stuff for the first time.

Question: Why use Node.js or PHP if this is faster?

I use this at my job. Micro-service backend for a financial service. Swallowing the server price for all this memory bloat must suck but it's not my problem. If you don't mind the 150 MB TAM console apps and 250MB pass-through APIs, it's a comfortable language and framework to use.

Same as you would a Java app, really. Install a virtual machine on it (aka the dotnet core framework) and run it.

>be bill gates
>dos days
>rolling in money
>don't know what to do with all the money
>internet starts to exist
>let me try to "own" the internet with internet explorer and make a closed garden of content
>literally failed
>is literally what facebook is trying to do right now
>be bill gates at the same time
>let me make a closed garden varieties of software
>.net lol
>only runs on windows
>guess you have to buy windows if you want to write programs
>literally failed
>its literally what google is trying to do right now
>oops guess you have to work at google to write code
>mfw facebook and google are making mistakes bill gates made when he was 22
>if you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it
>skip 2 today
>bill gates is not the leader of microsoft
>however he *is* the largest shareholder
>that means hes the fucking boss still
>nadella as ceo
>nadella loves linux
>obviously, it's better
>microsoft is doing good guy shit
>getting rid of internet explorer for chrome
>using open source
>open sourcing .net
>look at google
>closing all their shit
>trying to write their own closed version of linux kernel
>what a bunch of dumb assholes
>look at apple
>new butthurt chip designed to keep you from installing linux on your mac.
>top lel
>microsoft is based
>It's the dos days again, baby

Attached: 1549778575799.jpg (618x564, 70K)

Fast, small cross platform.
...But I can't stand to use it for server applications since it has to compile, unlike PHP.

Attached: a1e.jpg (568x461, 16K)

Cancer

Why?

Goolag is doing the same shit with Chrome as MS did with IE, but with the added botnet.

PHP is quick to get going and easy to deploy. I fail to see the appeal of Node.js

Still in the shitty Microsoft ecosystem and not much else.

The JVM is where the rest of the world is with more languages, more and better libs, more stuff in general and even far more companies really on board. Just switch over when you're done depending on Microsoft

google thinks you're a scraping bot if you add "asp.net" to your searches and you have to solve a captcha every few minutes

How so?

isn't this what mono is for?

RESTful APIs are a piece of piss to get working, DI is powerful but can be a bit mystifying if you're just starting out, LINQ is quite a nice feature, EF can produce some truly shit SQL queries if you're not careful (like selecting everything from a table and doing the filtering in your code instead of on your database as God and nature intended), but can be ameliorated somewhat (e.g. using IQueryable over IEnumerable, anonymous classes to filter out columns you don't need, and so on), documentation could be better. 7/10.

more like aspie.net

Just about everything of this is better on the JVM.

E.g. LINQ vs Doobie, Slick and friends:
tpolecat.github.io/doobie/docs/11-Arrays.html or github.com/slick/slick-codegen-example/blob/master/src/main/scala/Example.scala

did mircoshart open source it?

github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore

C# is a powerful, well designed language. Even as an experienced programmer, php is a headache to learn. It has improved a lot since php 5 but the problem is most tutorials and books are extremely outdated and even the official documentation is unreliable. Plus, whille php is just a scripting language (which many people wouldn't even call a "real" programming language") that only works for web, C# can be used for web (asp.net) windows desktop (winforms), mobile dev (Xamarin) and game dev (Unity and a thousand other frameworks). So no you won't be making a mistake

Being able to write self hosting .net web apps and deploy to Linux is nice

This. C# is shit compared to Kotlin and F# is shit compared to Scala.

Isn't F# terrible?

Any news on this? Seems to be dead.
microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/project-snowflake-non-blocking-safe-manual-memory-management-net/

Too bad the foundation is bad and noone should build on that.

it has its own internal webserver dubbed kestrel. from what i understand most people run nginx/apache in front of it so i dont know how well featured/secured/fast it is on its own

.net is good but I only ever see it used in financial work which is a major suicide inducer

Very easy to setup (python tier easy) and has a nice api design with no shitty xml configs.
docker and GNU/Linux support is a big plus