OpenBSD

is OpenBSD really that secure when taking into account it's apparent faults?
There are numerous criticisms I've found online regarding OpenBSD, and the main thing is this: OpenBSD lacks TrustedBSD MAC (Mandatory Access Control), as well as jails and ACL's. OpenBSD's chroot mechanism for isolating services is more secure than on at least most other *nix, but it's still not as secure as a FreeBSD jail. The main argument against OpenBSD is that it provides very limited access controls.
So is all of this true? Would FreeBSD with some possible additional configuration be a better choice in light of these critiques?

Attached: openbsd.png (656x526, 330K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
youtube.com/watch?v=OXS8ljif9b8
playonbsd.com/shopping_guide/
hardenedbsd.org/content/easy-feature-comparison
openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43
aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/
allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shameless self-bump(sorry)

Also, "Jails are not necessarily a security mechanism but more like virtualization. OpenBSD's filesystem does not need ACLs because it uses FFS."
Is this accurate?

its perfectly secure so long as you dont install anything

Unix permissions are more than enough for all uses.

This. The entire gimmick of OpenBSD is that their predefined, uncustomized install will be secure. Wanting any customization or 3rd party programs is a huge broken hassle.

Plus >ufs, lmao

There's a reason the most powerful and trusted dataserver software runs on FreeBSD.

>Would FreeBSD with some possible additional configuration be a better choice
In almost any situation, yes. Why people are insisting on openBSD instead, well it's politics, it's about CoCs again.

People who don't understand the software argue about the politics, because that's the only side they understand.

>software developed by transexual apologists is more secure than software developed by based white men
Homosexuality is bad for you, you know? We don't want your kind posting on this board.

Attached: 94d.gif (360x202, 1.83M)

Way to prove the point

Should I finish reading absolute openbsd, or just shelve it and read absolute freebsd instead?

OpenBSD is still a good OS, it just doesn't have near the merit of FreeBSD. You may as well finish the book.

Okay is true though?

It's secure in and of itself, but you can't do much with it; it's not expandable. It's like how my toaster with nothing installed is secure, because it does almost nothing.

If it's good enough to do online banking on a laptop, then it does enough for me. Thanks.

Sure, but operating systems are not limited to desktops.

I know.

>There's a reason the most powerful and trusted dataserver software runs on FreeBSD.
Yep, it's called Intel NDAs.

Tired meme. OpenBSD's mitigations like strong ASLR, stack canaries, omalloc, kernel and libc randomization, ROP prevention, and unprivileged users for package daemons make it a great platform for running your typical Linux software.

So how does FreeBSD compare in terms of security then?

>numerous criticisms I've found online regarding OpenBSD
>lists one
>it's retarded

>dont install anything
99% of ports are not services thus not exploitable

>a great platform for
running any and all unix services

>they think the average user on Jow Forums won't just disable selinux

poorly

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

Interesting.

Theo, five years ago:

youtube.com/watch?v=OXS8ljif9b8

Attached: theo.jpg (474x329, 20K)

Install OpenBSD, bitches.

Attached: CBO.jpg (200x198, 3K)

what about netbsd

Install that if you need a smart toaster.

TrumpBSD

what if i just wanna install on an x86 machine

Then you should install OpenBSD instead.

Does it have steam yet?

No but you can play some indies from GOG/itch, or emulate consoles.
playonbsd.com/shopping_guide/

Damn it, i only play indie shit mostly as well

>The entire gimmick of OpenBSD is that their predefined, uncustomized install will be secure. Wanting any customization or 3rd party programs is a huge broken hassle.

pkg_add bash gcc gmake wget mc emacs

Attached: 1490690220684.png (1048x1024, 261K)

Jails? ZFS? ACLS? It doesn't even have a journaled filesystem, lmao. Three things that keep OpenBSD a hobbyist OS compared to FreeBSD.

You didn't refute anything I said.

And FreeBSD doesn't even have real ASLR, PIE, or W^X.

Jails in OpenBSD would be nice, and so would a modern filesystem (ACLs suck though). But I'd rather compromise there than use an OS with Windows XP-level security mitigations. hardenedbsd.org/content/easy-feature-comparison

And you called "customization or 3rd party programs" in OpenBSD a "huge broken hassle." Bullshit--not only is it dead easy to run packages, it's more secure than running those packages on other platforms.

Customization: as of the newest release, you are unable to modify the default partition scheme and type or your system won't boot. X -configure was removed as an option for the user, as well as directly launching X via xinit as an unprivileged user.
Programs: the x toolkit applications like xedit were broken for 3 releases (which just shows general carelessness), ports are a mess compared to freebsd, pkg_add has almost no software and most is outdated, etc etc. Basically, if you stick to their pedantic defaults, you can run firefox and other user applications more securely than in Linux, but that's about it.

>X -configure was removed as an option
IIRC the result of the X upstream not disclosing some nasty privesc bug some months ago
If you can't trust some of the application's options to be secure, you disable them
>x toolkit applications like xedit
Yes, in general things that are not in the core package tend to rely completely on port maintainers. Just how you wouldn't blame Arch if an AUR package was out of date. If I'm mistaken and xedit IS in the core package and broken still, do point that out
>ports are a mess compared to Z
That's a non-issue, as long as you don't define Z more. If you think freeBSD handles ports *better*, by all means use that. If you think there's a problem with openBSD's ports system, do point it out
>most outdated
See AUR argument above
>pkg_add has no software
Feature, not a bug
>run firefox more securely
You shouldn't. Firefox uses too many syscalls that work great in linux, but not in BSDs (except maybe freeBSD due to the compat layer). All people who use openBSD know that chromium works better with the system, and you can use unveil with it to block it from seeing things it shouldn't. You can also install ungoogled chromium, last I checked it's up to date mostly.

>as of the newest release, you are unable to modify the default partition scheme and type or your system won't boot.
Bullshit. The default scheme is sensible and what you should base your customizations on, but you can partition however you want. You're referring to a bug, since fixed, that prevented huge (100+GB) boot partitions from working. My boot partition is 1 gig.
>X -configure was removed as an option for the user
Because it hasn't produced useful output for a decade at least. X picks the right defaults these days and -configure generated a sea of crap when it even worked at all. If you need an xorg.conf, write one.
>as well as directly launching X via xinit as an unprivileged user.
Impossible to customize! Oh wait, just chmod X to what it was before. Meanwhile I'm happy X is no longer setuid root.
>the x toolkit applications like xedit were broken for 3 releases
Gonna need a link for that one.
>ports are a mess compared to freebsd
FUD
>pkg_add has almost no software and most is outdated
FUD, 10000+ packages. Some outdated, but most are latest version or reasonably up to date.
>Basically, if you stick to their pedantic defaults, you can run firefox and other user applications more securely than in Linux, but that's about it.
Nice walkback.

I'm not talking about the X11 user. Most of your arguments don't seem to be worth discussing, mostly n-no it probably doesn't bwork like that.

Not him, but you spouting bullshit with no source can in fact get countered by also anecdotal quotes with no source

nigger

>99% of ports are not services thus not exploitable

Attached: tenor.gif (498x280, 2.47M)

Based

Is there a way of getting a newer qutebrowser version on OpenBSD?

this triggers the BSDfag

Attached: Why-I-left-OpenBSD.png (831x1234, 335K)

>and Theo de Raadt hacked his router and remotely remapped his keyboard!

Absolutely, insanely based Theo!

Attached: 2rad.png (640x360, 197K)

Doesn't it already have the latest version?

what exploitable shit are you running from ports besides firefox/chromium and why aren't you keeping firefox updated anyway? and what insane magic does MAC provide you that is so much better than the tons of built in mitigations?

don't bother arguing with him. he has this checklist of buzzwords he goes through.

openbsd.org/lyrics.html#43
>In 1998 when a United Airlines plane was waiting in the queue at Washington Dulles International Airport for take-off to New Orleans (where a Usenix conference was taking place), one man stood up from his seat, demanded that they stop waiting in the queue and be permitted to deplane. Even after orders from the crew and a pilot from the cockpit he refused to sit down. The plane exited the queue and returned to the airport gangway. Security personnel ran onto the plane and removed this man, Richard Stallman, from the plane. After Richard was removed from the plane, everyone else stayed onboard and continued their journey to New Orleans. A few OpenBSD developers were on that same plane, seated very closeby, so we have an accurate story of the events.
Is this true, or did Theo just make it up? I've never seen any other OpenBSD developers corroborate this story.

why would he make it up? i don't doubt it honestly.

Because he has a collossal chip on his shoulder against RMS. I find it very suspicious that nobody can confirm the story.

>and Theo de Raadt hacked his router and remotely remapped his keyboard!

Attached: 1548662462130.gif (244x248, 113K)

I pray every night for this being true

>what exploitable shit are you running from ports
Dunno man what software can be exploited in ports?

Attached: u.jpg (515x341, 35K)

Have you asked anyone who would have been there, or just randos on Jow Forums?

what class of bug? remote execution, privileged escalation, denial of service?

security researchers have limited resources. they only target services and certain other programs mostly clients or "viewers" like image or pdf apps.

most all the things they target are part of openbsd by default

stuff like vlc, mupdf, qemu, image libraries, email clients, torrent clients, git clients

if you instal stuff not in base or ports you're in the same boat as any OS really, the "internet explorer as installer" problem. but why not just become a maintainer.

>stuff like vlc, mupdf, qemu, image libraries, email clients, torrent clients, git clients
left out: this is stuff to be one top of

Explain this to that guy

Attached: 111.jpg (383x245, 14K)

don't wanna learn not my problem

I don't care about your problems faggot

nigger

aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/20/

allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/

OpenBSD BTFO

Attached: 1547521166918.gif (280x438, 49K)

i know two urls that are going into my filter

>openbsd has a rsync implementation in its tree now
cool

not an argument

neither are those blog posts :^)

How so?

people (probably just you) have been posting these in these threads for years and they've been disproven several times

Post the disproving please. I actually am just aggressively shitposting in the hopes of acquiring more information on OpenBSD for my own use.

no

What are the benefits to OpenBSD over FreeBSD. I use FreeBSD because OpenBSD doesn't have network drivers for my PC. I could port them but I don't have a reason to so far. Would like to know more.

Pretty please?

no spoonfeeding allowed

if you aren't just a concern troll, install it yourself on bare metal hardware and read the docs

Nevermind, I found them. Nigger.

>leaves me with chills
literally shaking?

I was made by heterosexual white male, while freebsd was made by homosexuals for homosexuals.

The point is, it wasn't political until pro-coc made it that way. Nothing was mentioned in this thread until you degenerate faggots inserted politics once again. Kys.

Those retards were crying about SJWs and whatnot way before the CoC happened though

There was NOTHING mention politics in these places INCLUDING THIS THREAD until coc-monglers forced it in. That's literally rape.

>There was NOTHING mention politics in these places
Absolutely not true
>THIS THREAD
Probably true, though I can't be arsed to scroll up and confirm

netbsd

>google "openbsd zfs"
And into the trash it goes...

Attached: 1521584685214.jpg (191x263, 7K)

Guess I'll port the drivers then, or maybe they've got them by now. Wouldn't want to turn gay because of my gay made os