How does he get away with it bros?

How does he get away with it bros?

Attached: 1549843139744.jpg (864x576, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o_AIw9bGogo?t=1081
old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/aot1ga/benno_rice_the_tragedy_of_systemd_linuxconfau_2019/eg3lq4d/?context=2
rbt.asia/g/search/text/systemd/type/op/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lennart is the single most important person in technology today.

He is RedHat's (((star programmer)))

Attached: RedHat.png (1280x413, 32K)

Go watch The Tragedy Of Systemd and tell me what (You) think

I think it's an awful lot of apologetics for shitty software and attitudes.

This, I watch it and thought the same

Fpbp
Embrace systemd and standardize Linux

"So ummm... people have this criticism of systemd. I just don't think that's the case. Moving on to the next point..."

Watch from this point and watch him just blow off a point by saying "I'm not particularly worried about that". Wow, very convincing.
youtu.be/o_AIw9bGogo?t=1081

2big2fail

Kill yourself.

you are free to not use his software
stop bichin

Kill yourself.

Kill yourself.

>hurr durr we shouldn't hold systemd to such high standards the bar is too high it's buggy because it's software
Did FreeBSD damage his brain somehow?

Attached: systemd.png (906x468, 101K)

Thanks for the pic, have another

Attached: philosophymatters.png (640x480, 96K)

don't use it if you don't like it

Another interesting pic

You may also find this interesting (I'd also recommend you read the post that you responded to here because you clearly did not), and also for anyone else who thinks Poettering is making software that CAN be replaced, here is his own words about wanting to dictate what other people do with their software
>Well, it is definitely our intention to gently push the distributions in the same direction so that they stop supporting deviating solutions
Who the fuck does this guy think he is? Straight from the horses mouth. He doesn't give a crap about giving GNU/Linux users a choice in anything.
Which is also nothing new, as Redhat developers across the board have a history of "my way or the highway" type of development.

forgot my pic

Attached: 1540689412451.png (844x717, 34K)

this shitty post again.
systemd is modular in the same sense that the linux kernel is modular.
you can replace any of it's modules by a different implementation.
don't like the implementation? fork it and replace it.

also
>implying you want to pipe init into another program
>implying you want to pipe ipc into another program
>implying you want to pipe login sessions into another program
>implying you want to pipe device mounting into other programs
>implying you want to pipe temp files into other programs
>implying it isn't possible to create executables on top of the current implementation if you _really_ wanted to do those (I wouldn't see why, though)
>protip: you can pipe journald into other programs if you want to (this is the only place it makes sense, and it's possible)
laughable post, try again with another anime meme post.

That picture made me angry and scared for the future. It truly is embrace extend extinguish there

Are you comparing the kernel with a program that was supposed to replace one operation and ended up in scope creep?

Also systemd is not modular. Also compiling from a single source to different binary executables is not the same as having a program you can split its source code and have different programs.

Attached: 2016_09_28_144633_1228x754_escrotum.png (1228x754, 122K)

All your greentext is nothing but a strawman you made from taking something out of context so I won't bother addressing it.

However, what would you have to say about the fact that Poettering himself doesn't want anyone to replace it? See He wants the entire GNU/Linux ecosystemd doing things one way. His way.

And furthermore we can put this claim of modularity to the test with a real world example.
If something is modular I would expect that it is simple to replace.
Systemd is not only not simple to replace but it was not even simple to AVOID. Please note the emphasis.
Distros that ALREADY were systemd free almost ran into a brick wall and would have been forced to use systemd if it weren't for the work of the Gentoo devs forking udev.

How the fuck can you sit there and tell me something adheres to the Unix Way and is modular when merely AVOIDING it was so difficult, let alone replacing it once it's already there?

You know, a little bit more standardization could be nice, but systemd is a fucking terrible attempt at it.
If you want to standardize something as widely used and user customizable as Linux, then making a monolithic standard and then forcing it upon everyone is a terrible idea and frankly bloody egotistical.

In my own opinion the only standard we need is in configuration file and documentation exchange. We could easily had all the configuration files and documentation covering all the range of programs, without even have wrapper programs, all working properly by sharing the configuration we need.

But no, just fuck my shit up and make these monsters with binary logs and weird configuration formats.

Attached: typical.png (407x123, 4K)

Since we're dumping systemd related images
here's one about how systemd literally brought nothing new to the table and was (and still is) almost entirely political.
This bullshit should have no place in the GNU/Linux world and I am disgusted at the amount of people who can't see what Redhat really is.

Attached: systemd-history.png (1284x553, 78K)

openBSD doesn't have this problem.

fstab is fucking retarded I'm glad systemd replaces it. So is pretty much every single other part of sysv, good riddance.

>nothing new to the table
lmfao
t. never used systemd

Read the pic

Go be a retarded tripfag somewhere else.

Man fuck that guy. I feel dirty for having loved Fedora so much. Off to Void land...

My machine boots in less than five seconds and is a 10 year old thinkpad. Granted, I am not sure how much is due to its kernel tweaking and filesystem but sure it feels good to not have systemd in it.

I did, the idea that sysvinit has even the fraction of the capability of systemd units or service files shows how biased and or ignorant that guy is.

Like what? Name some features.

I know for sure you're right on a technical level, yes it's a fucking bloated piece of shit and will have some features that no other init did.

But I'm betting if you actually name the features we will see 2 possibilities: either they're total useless bloat features, or they're features that other init systems DID have before systemd.
Hence nothing new (at least nothing important and new).

You'll fit right in

Attached: mylittlevoid.png (1920x1080, 75K)

>either they're total useless bloat features
Nice preemptive sour grapes, friend.

Nice attempt to avoid naming any features

You'll just call everything useless bloat anyway, replying seriously to a cultist like you is a waste of time.

Well lets see here, off the top of my head the most basic feature I can think of which sysvinit has lacked since its abortion came into existence, threaded services, access based services, network started services, basically anything that isn't a dumb exec with a watchdog.

tragedy of the commons
what other people do, does adversely affect you
as mpre and more software becomes dependent on systemd, if becomes harder to work around it.
similarly, even if i take steps to protect my privacy, what other people post on faceberg or give away to data analytics or genetesting companies harms and obviaties all that ive done on my own

Computer systems become more complex as they become better. If you want to use depreciated shit that's your own fault, not Redhat's and certainly not Lennart's.

>all this infighting over the fucking init system
No wonder open source sucks ass

It isn't infighting, systemd won.

Its a bunch of cat-v worshiping mentally ill autists that don't like change.

Windows "won" in exactly the same way systemd "won".

Windows won because IBM clones were cheaper than Apple and Commadore was eurotrash.

Kill yourself.

Lol I wish. Too bad everything either requires it or is musing about requiring it.

So?
Your point that systemd "won" was entirely about adoption and not at all about why it was adopted or whether it should be adopted. Which is exactly how systemd "won".

They only thing systemd won is hate and also fragmented the community

Kill yourself.

It isn't even remotely the same.

systemd won on pure merit.

Windows won because it was cheaper and adoption was faster.

It's you and your cultist who's dividing the community, why couldn't you just shut up and leave people to use whatever they use? You couldn't stop yourself from making these kind of threads daily to force your shitty opinion down others throat.

>systemd won on pure merit.
No it didn't. It "won" by forcing distros to adopt it or lose support for other Redhat software

I didn't make this thread you fucking authoritarian, and I have the right to NOT BOW TO SYSTEMD

And you ask why the hate, go fuck yourself

Pure bullshit.
Integration is normal, I suppose you also hate the FSF and GNU freedesktop etc for doing the same thing.

old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/aot1ga/benno_rice_the_tragedy_of_systemd_linuxconfau_2019/eg3lq4d/?context=2
Yeah we have proof that they use unscrupulous methods to force adoption.

>systemd won on pure merit.
>lets ignore Devuan and the exodus to other distros

Nobody cares about your rights, your opinions much less so, could you please just shut up and stop forcing it down everyone's throat?

This is why the systemd fanboys are breaking the community

Attached: 4JJoNkR.png (640x325, 143K)

I have a hypothetical question for you 2 anons.

IF one day there are no longer any even remotely mainstream distros that don't use systemd, AND if those distro maintainers themselves claim that it is not by choice but because they could no longer maintain the changes necessary to stay systemd free,
AND if you can find conversations on various mailing lists of highly intelligent developers and contributors within the community who have discussed the possiblity of avoiding systemd and all still ultimately claim that it is next to impossible to do...

what would you think then?
Would you still think that "systemd is modular" means shit? Would you still support systemd or would you finally, under those conditions, say that this is bad for GNU/Linux?
(bonus points: what would you say if this happened to and you no longer had a choice to use that software because something else is "better" and all of a sudden "better" means everyone has to use it?)

I'm just curious about where your heads are. What would you say in that circumstance?

I can assure you it's not a systemd fanboy who keeps making these threads on a daily basis.

I can assure you OP is not the only one making these threads

Please, find me one thread that was made to shill systemd, I dare you.
rbt.asia/g/search/text/systemd/type/op/

I would ask why you should think I would care about some random devs opinion, which is an opinion.

>million and one thread asking "what is wrong with systemd"
I dunno lol

Attached: 54343100.jpg (400x400, 124K)

It's funny that you equate "software you want to use" with "opinion".
Really tells me that you have the mentality that there's only 1 right way to do anything and it should be good enough for everyone.

Am I correct in that assessment or not?

What can the casual user do to slow or stop the adoption of systemd?

What distros do not use it?

These answers and more:

You are incorrect.
I'm saying don't use fucking nouveau instead of the nvidia blob because some dev said that having a choice is good.

Anons, it is not to say systemd is free of faults, but is it possible to look forward and perhaps see how they can be fixed?
There's a terrible rift between systemd devs and the users (maybe justified, maybe not), and I think mending it and inviting community participation and healthy working relationships would do the project some good.
Maybe the first push could be a community bug hunting season, or something bigger, like breaking it apart to independent services communicating through a well defined API, allowing different parts to actually be swapped (maybe even hot-swapped?)
I think complaining about systemd has really achieved all it can at this point. hadn't heard new criticisms of it over the past two years.
>I don't have to tell you things are bad, I know they're bad
but what now?

Are you really surprised this place is populated with sheeps who's unable to form their opinion? The correct way to do it is to use it and form your own judgment, not base your opinion on some webpages made by cultists to slander their perceived boogeyman. Just look at this page:

Yes, this is great advice user. However you don't understand the people who are actually running the show.
Please read this message written by Poettering himself: And honestly that's just one small indicator of their real intentions. This shit has been going on for years. Did you know Linus Torvald's fucking banned a Redhat developer from contributing to the kernel because he claimed he kept trying to force kernel development to go his way and would refuse to fix bugs to make it happen?

So it's not us you should be writing those words to user. Your own post should be sent to the Redhat devs.
It's not that people don't want to work with them, it's that they refuse to cooperate with anyone else.

bruh I just posted that link... Hivemind?

I hate these captchas, I'm going back to @r1suchan

Again, nobody's shilling systemd, it's the other way around, it's you and your cult of autists who won't shut up about this.

You have no right to bitch about the direction of software that you don't control the development of.

If you had the means to fork it and make something better that people would adopt you could, but you can't, so instead you just cry about how oppressive superior software is.

Fuckers are turned so far left their waists have burn marks.

I had it, the systemd propaganda is too much.

Fuck the shills, I want NO SYSTEMD in my machine, deal with it

While I agree with you, as long as pottering is at the helm of systemd, that ain't gonna happen.
He's hell bent on wrestling control of the linux userspace.

Why so triggered?

Why are you defending systemd?

Why you want nobody complain about systemd?

Fuck off shill

>wrestling control of the linux userspace
You mean improving.

You're free to use whatever you want but please, stop thinking that anybody cares about it.
I'm not defending anything, I'm simply asking you to stop shitting up thus board with your incessant bitching.

Actually you're wrong. A user has every right to complain about the software he uses.

You're probably confusing complaining with demanding that they change.
I obviously cannot make demands, and Redhat devs have no obligation to care about my complaints.
That's why I'm here trying to show other users why these developers do not have their own best interests at heart so that hopefully if enough users don't like the software we will get new software or the current developers will fix their attitude.

That's how the system works.

>systemd shills trying to silence legitimate complains
>they are so authoritarian as to ORDER people

This is what happened to the community

Attached: poettering(2).png (875x1666, 170K)

>You're free to use whatever you want
Would you mind answering this hypothetical question please?

To be fair, I only read that image after I made my post, but I believe my point still stand, even though we might need a longer ladder to get Pottering off his tree.
You also bring up an interesting problem with RedHat's culture. We might actually see a change now that IBM bought them out, but who knows.
I know he's acting like an annoying asshole cat, but I still say we send him cake or something to get him to play ball. He might be an ass about it, but he's the ass at the helm of systemd.
If we don't figure out a way to fix it, it'll only get worse, so it's in out best interest to either
>write our own
which I don't see happening soon
>salvage what we can
both in engineering and human relations, to hopefully unfuck things as much as possible
relevant to as well

>A user has every right to complain about the software he uses.
I seriously doubt you even use systemd, you're nothing but yet another loud armchair expert.

Stop defending systemd

Stop shilling systemd

How about those orders? Fuck off authoritarians

Attached: DFtTdENU0AEwJGj.jpg (1200x675, 50K)

>ignoring potterings own words
>ignoring what redhat devs stand to gain
>ignoring the whole point of the unix philosophy

ya got me, heres your (you)
good night dear tripfag, and good night Jow Forums

How are you not defending systemd if you go as far as to order someone to stop complaining?

>legitimate
Thanks for the chuckle.

Nobody here is complaining, all they're doing is spreading FUD to trap more sheeps to join their rank of autists.

Remember this picture? This is a false flag picture made by Poettering himself.

This is FUD, fuck off

Attached: 1459247270490.jpg (1024x1500, 213K)

UNIX isn't a philosophy its a proprietary OS.
There is nothing inherently wrong with an implementation that a distribution's maintainer will disagree with.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with multiple distributions doing something the same way.

You are fucking braindead.

Attached: dielinuxdie.jpg (640x480, 249K)

You're right, I don't use it. But I also have every right to complain about software I don't use too.

>you're nothing but yet another loud armchair expert
Are you not?
And did you not use your armchair expert opinion to decide that you should make the SWITCH to systemd? Or did you just wake up one day to find you were already using it without ever even making that choice?
Whose armchair expertise are you currently listening to that makes you believe systemd is acceptable?

It was reasonable and I loved the launchd comparisons

Not him but en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

I think you know well what he meant

I use systemd because I tried it and found that it works well, unlike you I don't base my opinions on webpages made by hateful nutjobs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

man, you are just getting worse and worse. Have a great week everybody.

Ah I see. So what is your opinion then?
Surely you have more of an opinion than "it just works" if you're trying to say I should stop complaining about finer details

>But I also have every right to complain about software I don't use too.
You have the right to do whatever you want but again, nobody is obligated to listen and you forcing your opinions down everyone's throat for the past decade has done nothing but make you look like a lunatic.

>nobody is obligated to listen
I already said that in my post
>I obviously cannot make demands, and Redhat devs have no obligation to care about my complaints.

And I find it laughable that you think anonymous posts on Jow Forums are being "forced" down your throat but you don't think that the literal feature creep and walled garden of Redhat software is being "forced" down our throats. Even when their own developers practically state it outright that it's their goal to force it on us.