/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: thinkpads-in-bestst.jpg (2137x1342, 847K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QvTmdIhYnes?t=408
ebay.com/itm/113623237310
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-laptop-T540p-Core-i7-2-90Ghz-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-1920x1080-NVIDIA/401641257210?hash=item5d83af38fa:g:CLYAAOSwBgZb9Oyc
remarkt.nl/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-l440-intel-core-i5-4300u-8gb-500gb-hdmi.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can I upgrade the LCD on my X200 to an LED+AFFS? If so, how? and how much will it cost?

Also, best WLAN card upgrade for X200? Atheros?

Also lolis

Attached: yellowshit.jpg (600x800, 61K)

reposting from previous thread
trying to figure out how wwan works for thinkpads

Just received this chink oem 170w adapter, it's a literal brick and works, but
>my x220t immediately shuts down if I plug this into it, should I be worried? It restarts back fine
>lenovo vantage says it detects a 90w adapter, is this alright too?

Attached: 20190211_121047_1_1.jpg (1500x1167, 296K)

whats the easiest thinkpad to disassemble?

Just tether or mobile hotspot... WWAN cards are scarce and not as good as your phone, and you need to be on Windows to use the (proprietary) drivers.

As in, it works fine on my quad core nvidia T530 but not on the X220t

test the voltage

what is a good choice for 8gb if ram for a thinkpad t420?

speed doesn't really matter, brand doesn't really matter, just get the cheapest kit that works

MY BALLS ARE ON FIRE BOIS
HOW DO I FIX THIS FUCKING NM-APPLET
NETWORK-MANAGER BULLSHIT?
X220t reporting

Attached: 96dagreez.png (1366x768, 447K)

When was the last time you replaced the thermal compound?

i will soon but this happened overnight it seemed
it's obviously N-M fucking shit up

is 250€ for a X230 too expansive?
it has an ips screen tho (supposedly better)

Looks like one of the astronaughts on the ISS are using a thinkpad:
youtu.be/QvTmdIhYnes?t=408

Attached: 2019-02-10-234910_1292x830_scrot.png (1292x830, 962K)

Is this your first /tpg/ or something?

can anyone here personally recommend a usb wifi adapter that will work out of the box with ubuntu linux?

Attached: IMG_0110.jpg (926x617, 260K)

Where can i find the stock bios for the x230 to flash externally in the 4mb and 8mb versions? i was dicking around with coreboot and it wouldnt boot so evidently i screwed something up, but when i went back and reflashed the stock roms and it still wont boot.

Yes, way to expensive. I spent $200AUD on mine for an i7 3520M and 8GB RAM, TN display.

something with atheros

... good point I should just use it for less autistic things like a spare ssd

whats the best thinkpad?

Is it worth it to set a charge threshold when I'm on most of the time? Or when the battery has already degraded around 30%? I have it set to 80% currently.

on AC*

yes, setting a threshold will keep you from losing capacity as fast. battery will be healthy for a long time

Looking at something for university
Digging hard, poking at the t470/480 but realised that the t/x90 series are coming out April
Seems like the best decision to wait, quad core 8th series have sealed the deal with performance, just hoping this series improves on the screen
Came close at looking at the Dell XPS series just fore the screen, shame battery life /thermal management /keyboard /build quality is dogshit

Attached: y.jpg (600x846, 112K)

only the i3 x250 is limited to 8gb of RAM

screencap as proof of 16gb ddr3 sodimm

Attached: neofetch.png (627x373, 102K)

>X390
>T495s
I'm fairly excited

1366x768 TNs are eternal.

>Also, best WLAN card upgrade for X200? Atheros?
Bumpin for this but X201 actually. I think I want Atheros but I don't know which one.
>intel card goes off every few sleep cycles and often even reboot doesn't fix it

i had an intel 6300 3x3 and it didn't have any problems. but windows so ymmv

>intel 6300
I think it's actually the one I have but can't confirm now because it's out now (can't even see it with lspci). So yeah, Linux intel drivers are shit.

tell intel to release documentation and source code

Just don't use nm-applet. There are alternatives for bar icons and nmtui works just fine that one time per year you actually have to connect to a new network

wqhd options for xx80 thinkpads are excellent though, what's wrong with them in your opinion?

Why do you need 4 cores in a laptop?

more so the screen to body ratio, yeah it's a huge meme but just makes sense that they should also improve on colour accuracy/brightness with the business models

x201 cutest thinkpad

Attached: 154946707295289.jpg (1727x2051, 652K)

Are the upgraded models sold as a a complete ThinkPads or are they just the motherboards?

i just picked up an x220 off of ebay, newbie question inbound

is there supposed to be a coilwhine and they run hot? i was running arch and now manjaro (arch on my other laptop) as i wanted something quick and ready to use

42 percent battery, guy said nothing wrong with laptop, is there common issues with the front usb port on the left though? seems like it doesnt work

the laptop constantly smells like smoke as if something is cooking inside.. other then that everything seems running alright (1hr screentime is shit though)

anyone do an IPS upgrade or the FHD Mod? just wanting the cheapest ips/screen upgrade.

coreboot worthwhile? got a raspberry pi untouched thinking about giving it a crack

cheers guys

damn really? i just got an x220 with 120 gb ssd and tn display as well as what seems to be some broken components for 240 aud... whered you buy yours from?

and an i5 not i7

thermal paste. coil whine seems to happen on some of the older stuff now. there's been more people mentioning coild whine on **20's now than 4 yrs ago

I wouldn't trust it, may be an unregulated power supply or worse, an unstable regulated power supply with weird peak voltages. If you have a scope I would recommend checking if that "DC" is really DC or else get a branded power supply, if your laptop is worth more than 20 bucks I would seriously buying at least a semi-reputable power supply.

Negotiatinf with a seller on Gumtree who was a technology brainlet.

It was listed as an i5, 8GB for $250. He agrees to $200. Picked it up, perfect condition, though there's wear on the keyboard. I didn't check the specs there, and I knew it wasn't an i3 since it wasn't an X230i. Take it home, check BIOS, i7.

I got REALLY lucky.

Pick related of it now.

Attached: IMG_20190210_084236.jpg (4632x3474, 1.89M)

coil wine is due to the motor sorta drying out you can get a new fan or try to put a small bit of grease on it. The smoke smell is probably due to the laptop being owned by a smoker

Attached: 1514925586609.jpg (1920x1200, 264K)

>find the perfect thinkpad on eBay
>ebay.com/itm/113623237310
>try to pay
>don't have enough money on the account
>transfer money
>paypal refuses to make the payment due to """security reasons"""
>have to contact them to unlock the account
>do so and they don't respond for more than half a day
>loose the thinkpad
FUCK YOU PAYPAL

Attached: med_1547900376_00001.jpg (490x500, 36K)

you should have phoned them never email companies if you need urgent response

>blocks your exhaust
Nothing personal, kid.

Attached: 38423.jpg (800x646, 211K)

i don't like speaking with people so i though i would get away with just sending an email
fucking mistake

>i don't like speaking with people
thats even more of a reason to phone desu

..to practice?

hai kek, the more you force yourself to do it the easier it will get

Do you think Lenovo will ever bring back the good keyboard? Their chiclet keys aren't the worst, but they're a significant downgrade from the old ones.

after T25 fiasco we can pretty safely say that no they are not coming back and chiclet isn't nearly as bad as people make it to be

I've been using an x220 and a T430 daily and there's no difference with the new or old aside from layout. I prefer the new ones as page/dn are next to the arrow keys, and home/end buttons are close to homerow.

>T25 fiasco
The only thing I know about the T25 is they overcharged for it. What happened?

I prefer the old one because I configured the buttons next to the arrow keys so I can use them to switch tabs instead of the default backward/forward.

See
Get it from aliexpress or Chinkshit in general. I paid 10* the normal amount locally before buyers remorse struck.
Mine desu.
Very nice
Even for such a shitty screen, im willing to compromise and buy a modern laptop if its identical to the t25

I'm looking for a cheap second hand laptop and I was thinking thinkpad, my budget is about 200-250€ but I won't settle for a TN screen, I want IPS.
What do I get? Better if i5

Get a TN x230, buy an ips screen for 70 petrodollars

I'm fucking tired
i don't have a stable computer and i was so ready to get this and now there is nothing like it on ebay
All i can do is kill time waiting for something to happen
ughh..

if thats your pic you should install hyperbola

>wanted to do that
>nmtui doesn't handle one way of authentication/whatever that I needed
>fuck it all, delete nm and use wicd instead
I still don't know if it was the right choice.

T60/T61 had IPS options I think. C2D at best though.

If it works then it was the right choice

systemd also works for me so far
I think I'll need to learn systemd better so I can think about debloating it.

Mostly just overcharging for it and giving you no choices with the hardware.
The screen was also your standard 1920x1080 with absolutely no choices if you wanted a higher res or 16:10.

They marketed it as "the classic thinkpad experience" yet you had the same amount of choices as you'd get with an Apple machine and it cost about the same as an Apple machine.
Ultimately the only "classic thinkpad" it had going for it was the keyboard so people were rather disappointed.

>debloating systemd
I'll take oxymorons for 600, Alex.

Let's get this bread

Attached: IMG_20190211_132937.jpg (2976x3968, 2.66M)

glanced at this and thought it was another neofetch

>order a ThinkPad new
>have to wait three weeks to get it
I'm dying here. I want to fuck around with it so badly.

Which one of them makes best keyboard.
Thinkpad T480s

Attached: 4DCDEAB2-C877-48C7-A291-750E3DCC8D27.jpg (1242x514, 184K)

just bought a t420 on ebai
>tfw its actually an upgrade from my current laptop

I didn't even know there were different keyboards I'm not sure how to check it but at least mine feels perfectly fine no issues.

Kyle is that you?

Any tips on buying used?

Just ordered this t540p and starting to think I fucked up by getting the i7 4600m instead of the quad core 4800mq. Wish I came to Jow Forums earlier.

I mostly will only use it for browsing/excel work/light gaming. Will the 4600m hold up or is it just complete shit?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-laptop-T540p-Core-i7-2-90Ghz-16GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-1920x1080-NVIDIA/401641257210?hash=item5d83af38fa:g:CLYAAOSwBgZb9Oyc

Unfortunately yee

Not him but why

I was considering running parabola or debian with no non-free besides my bios when my atheros ships

Attached: yum_snacks.gif (360x360, 605K)

Is the latitude e7450 a good laptop for web dev? wanted to get a thinkpad but i've had issues with poor battery life in the past

good fucking luck lol
just use a diff init

You Jow Forumsentoomen think this is a good buy?

remarkt.nl/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-l440-intel-core-i5-4300u-8gb-500gb-hdmi.html

Thinkpad virgin here

>Own T430 I purchased new in 2012
>Want something easier to carry around
>Buy x140e refurbished
>Just bought a SSD for it too
Wish me luck lads

What's the ideal thinkpad and OS for doing a 4yr CS degree?

Attached: 1423889375273.webm (1280x720, 1.46M)

x60 gentoo

Hello There
I live in germany and wanna buy a 14" fullhd thinkpad. Should have an quad core i5 or i7 with 4 to 8gb ram. I have a budget of 170€ to 200€. Any good suggestions ? Also maybe you can tell me the difference between x and t series? Any further questions pls dont be afraid to ask. Thanks user

stable arch with AUR access
no systemdicks
less work for mom cause xorg wont break as much as arch or parabola

Looking to dump my mid-2017 base model macbook pro 13" for an x270 with 16gb ram and 512gb SSD.
Save for the display, which I don't care that much about as I always use external monitors, is this actually an upgrade that will net me money?

x201 and debian testing

Attached: 1548624460823805.jpg (1746x2328, 2.31M)

I've been using an x220t for browsing and office work, it's doing fine even with an i5 2520m; you'd do fine on 4600m and that quad core will just make unnecessary heat/energy usage
x are smaller for mobile/portable usage, t is larger for desktop use; what are you gonna use it for?

Best ThinkPad to buy for around 200€? I need something durable, good for writing and for some light image modification/really casual gaming. Also, a store near me is selling a T520 with i7 2620M, nvidia NVS 4200N, 4gb RAM, 128gb Intel SSD and Full HD monitor for 320€, is that a good price?

has anyone tried storing the linux kernel onto their bios for really fast boot times and such ?
I can't wait to try it when i get my thinkpad

I'm gonna work a lot at home but sometimes at school. Battery isnt that important but display and processor/ram are

correction: Using a cut down coreboot as bios.
The idea is to cut the seconds it takes to post / load grub / move the kernel to ram

Yes, grab it now, the fullhd monitor is excellent for visual work. Don't know how good the price is but the TN panel is easily one of the best made for laptops and is worth the price.
Maybe negotiate a bit, don't get the 4gb ram and SSD instead supply your own after buying it.

Yeah, but for what I need (Just a comfy laptop to do some work with it) it seems like a little bit overkill. On ebay, there are other T520 with the Full HD monitor but with i5 and without the nVidia for a lot less (Around 150€), I don't really wanna waste too much money for something like that, I already own a more than decent desktop, is the performance boost really significant?

Didn't know you already have a desktop, well if you just want light work get those i5 T520 then, the processor should be fine for it.

I have decided to get a more portable laptop and have decided on either an x230 or x220. Any users who can give me the rundown of pros and cons of each? Is it worth it to swap the keyboard if i get the 230 as i see so many people doing?

the only arguably better part about x220 is the classic keyboard, x230 is significally better in terms of igpu performance and slightly better in just about everything else