TFW CS major

>TFW CS major
>Forced to take calc 2, physics, and other bullshit I don't want to take
>Have to study like a mad man for these classes on top of it

Why is this bullshit allowed? Meanwhile other majors don't even have to take calc 1. I'm not going to school for engineering or science, so what the fuck is the point of making me do integrals or learning Newton's laws of physics? This feels like such a fucking waste of time it's depressing as fuck

Attached: 1548281524242.jpg (250x237, 12K)

You have two choices
>bemoan a list of courses you are never going to convince the dean to change
>try and apply and connect whatever concepts you can to your work to see if it improves your thinking process

If you choose to find it tedious and useless then it will be an impediment, if you choose to use what's in front of you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

How am I suppose to relate what I'm doing in Calc 2 to anything involved with programming? Especially when there are calculators for all of that shit.

I passed calc 2 my first semester. I took multidimensional math, linear algebra, and now I'm in statistics and physics. The math of physics is really easy right now. Solving linear systems with a few integrals here and there. I've noticed we have line integrals coming up in the next chapter so I may have to refresh myself on those. I forgot most of the calc shit

Learning math is less about learning the equations, but more about learning how you can implement those theories. It's more so you have a general X does Y so you can get what you want our of it.

The math in physics is piss easy, a fucking grade schooler could do it. I just find physics in general to be insanely boring. "Dur this object won't move unless I apply X force to it", like who the fucks cares?
>I forgot most of the calc shit
This is another reason why I don't like Calc 2, it doesn't even feel like I'm actually learning anything. It's just "memorize this formula, know this identity, remember this rule", it's fucking gay. At least in Calc 1 it felt like I was learning something different.
That sounds utterly pointless though

I'm learning to appreciate calculus the more I see it used in physics. I like finding ways to use it to derive equations but I will agree with you that memorizing equations was hell. I didn't know any trig identities in the beginning and them remembering all the standard derivatives/integrals/hyperbolics/inverse was annoying af. Each problem was like a puzzle to find the correct substitution

Does Calc 2 get better or more interesting later on or does it only get worse? Because honesty if I don't do well on my first exam, I may just drop it and switch to IT or something. I'm tired of doing this to myself. I'm studying my ass off and this isn't even fun for me at all. I'm starting to see why people hate Calc 2. It doesn't actually require skill, it's just memorizing a bunch of stuff in a short time frame.

>Computer Science major
>I'm not going to school for science
Yes you do

CS is based in mathematical concepts. If you can't even handle calc 2 you really aren't going to be anything more than average when it comes to understanding and doing more. What's more if you're complaining about calc 2 you're either a Sophmore or a Freshman and you class load is basic bitch shit. Get it together.

It was genually challenging from beginning to end. I think the only reason I passed was because I took the class with a friend and we studied our asses off together. iirc you need to know basically every trig identity, derivatives/integrals of all polynomials, trig functions, exponentials, hyperbolics, inverse trig functions, be able to do integration by parts, partial fraction decomposition, trig substitutions, show that an integral converges or diverges using some theorems I forget the names of, then you go to series and sequences and do some of the same stuff, then you may have time for taylor series. It's a lot of shit to memorize, not really the type of stuff you can derive on the spot.

But that's the thing, it's not really a "science". Maybe in grad school it's different, but calling it a science compared to physics or chemistry is misleading as fuck.
How do you figure that? Again, how does knowing integrals and trig identities make me a better programmer? Especially when a calculator/computer will do those things infinity faster than I ever will

And who programmed the computer?

>"i'm not going to school for engineering or science"
>TFW Computer Science major

Holy shit we need to start funding our
schools.

So in other words no lmao, fuck my life. I guess we'll see what happens then.
see

octopole/quadrupole bushit isnt even math, its fucking lazy

It is most certainly a science and one of the most study intensive sciences of them all. It requires classes in computation, algorithms, calculus, cryptography, advanced mathematics.

Prepare to want to kill yourself.

My prof called integration an art form in the first lecture and by god he was right

That old, fat, white-haired Russian was fucking Picasso

>How do you figure that? Again, how does knowing integrals and trig identities make me a better programmer? Especially when a calculator/computer will do those things infinity faster than I ever will
Well gee Billy, let me tell you some things. Computer Science isn't I wrote some words into a text file and threw it at a compiler. It is a comprehensive study involving many things. Those things are rooted in math. Calc II is literally just applied math concepts. You are learning the basics of higher mathematical concepts and their applications in the real world. This knowledge lays the ground work for proofs and actual understanding of what you are doing. To treat math as a black box is silly and quite frankly shows a distinct lack of understanding. Try actually learning and not complaining about your course load, because if you think those first two years are hard it will not get easier. More importantly you will not be stopping learning. If you want to be the best programmer you can be you need to seek out knowledge. Understand the concepts behind what you are doing and that will give you great insight. Or you can keep complaining and shitposting on Jow Forums. That's not gonna get your work done nor score you a job. Pic related a job and degree done with Calc II.

Attached: CS.png (2100x410, 964K)

No it is not. Why are we pretending that CS is a "science" when it is so obviously not? Just because it requires math? This is ridiculous
The concepts of Calc 2 aren't hard to understand. What I'm saying is it's a lot of work to memorize a bunch of bullshit that a calculator can spit out in seconds. I'd enjoy it a lot more if it required actual skill but it doesn't. I'd rather do fucking algebra than Calc 2.

what are you even doing in calc 2? when i took it we learned stuff line simpsons rule to approximate definite integrals which is a fun project program. furthermore, if your university offers a numerical anal class that will show you a lot of interchanges between cs and math

Posts like this make me glad my schools CS department is part of the school of engineering.

If you just want to be a javajeet webdev who does nothing but paste code from github just drop out and go to a coding bootcamp

physics and calc are just brainlet filters. that's why they put these in first year. if you can't pass these then you're too much of a brainlet to do anything anyway so you might as well quit and not waste everybody's time.

Op just suck it up and learn the math. Yes it sucks but it's really not that bad. If you want the big boy checks you need to pass these classes. Any degree worth it's print on paper requires math. Look at the bright side, once you get pass these courses almost all of the retards have been washed out.

I think you were meant to study pajeet programming. Computer science is a subdivision og math.

It can be, sure, but most programming jobs won't require a high degree of math

>Applied math degree
>Surprised you have to take math
It's not even that much memorization. You already passed Calc I, and with a sound knowledge of standard derivative forms and the rules of derivation, you consequently know the antiderivatives and some basic rules of integration. Focus on the few exceptions and additional considerations to the rules, and practice the methods in your arsenal (especially u-sub and by-parts). Check your answers with a quick derivation. There will always be a bit of a study grind, but that's college. You can do it user.

>a better programmer
if you intend to be a programmer, bad news for you, you will be replaced by machines by 2030, that's why you're studying all this stuff so you can be a computer engineer

>what the fuck is the point of making me do integrals or learning Newton's laws of physics

oh nothing just the basics of modern human life

bruh its calc 2 chill.

Zzzzzz

You have a shitty attitude. Life is like 50% doing shit you don't want to do, but you have to do. The sooner you get over this and stop crying like a little bitch about it, the better. Even more, you'll often find that what you thought was useless was actually a good experience that taught you something.

tl;dr stop being a crybaby faggot

Attached: 1509626001162.jpg (1149x832, 71K)

I am a brainlet who hates memorizing shit. It took me 3 times to pass Calc 2. God was it hell.

>not doing at least calc 1/2 in high school
wew lad