/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1549880125053.png (2000x2000, 575K)

Other urls found in this thread:

0x0.st/zzMD.zip
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Fedora!

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

Second for suckless

Attached: 1280px-Suckless_logo.svg.png (1280x835, 6K)

>zoomers don't even know what flash is
sad!

I’m trying to create a shared library
I created the library, called
libmylib.so.0.0.0
and then ran
ldconfig -n .
which created the library
libmylib.so.0

But aren’t I supposed to have a third one called libmylib.so? After copying the two files to /usr/local/lib, my compiler still couldn’t find the library.
What do?

Install Windows 10

did you pass -I/usr/local/lib/?

Stop recommending malware in the friendly thread.

Attached: 1521627408932.jpg (605x535, 59K)

That would be -L/usr/local/lib, and no, I didn’t. It already looks in there. I’m linking against other libraries in it and it’s having no trouble with those

he's mocking you for using proprietary software retard

I've never made a library but I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to have 1 in the end. I thought any other variants (including the plain .so file without version number) were just symlinks to the one real one.
I think that's the whole point. You have something like libmylib.so be a symlink which applications compile against (so they have libmylib.so hardcoded into the binary) and then if you later need to update the library you just adjust the symlink and now all the applications will get the new version without having to be recompiled.

It can have 2 or 3 numbers at the end (major version, then minor version, then an optional release number)
From what I’ve read, every file that doesn’t have 2 or 3 numbers at the end is an alias for the real one, which I assume would be the latest compatibile version.
ldconfig created one of them (I think), but I want the other one too

>letting a fat communist jew decide what programs you can run on your computer

>GNU having any sort of restrictions on what you can install on your machine

>about to cross the street
>rms: watch out, a car is coming!
>you: stop telling me what to do asshole!
>run in front of car on purpose, die
>your last breath: checkmate neckbeard!

>copy something from hard drive to external hard drive
>everything slows down
Why is this happening? It doesn't matter if I use a graphical file manager or cp to copy files.

You might want to have a look at "glances", something might show up there.

Where would you grab a prebuild gcc binary for embedded without a proper system?

install CRUX

Attached: sup.png (1280x800, 496K)

The fuck do you do on your computer? Just tell me

stop ricing

I've been wanting to switch to Linux for a while now, reason I wait so long is the compatibility for games. One of the games I play is Civ6 and on their FAQ it mentions Ubuntu 16.04 is needed, would that mean it's not runnable on Mint 19?

Read, watch videos, programming, work with spreadsheets, some maths, writting (lots)

But I don't, I have this since years

Arch and its derivatives are all fundamentally retarded and a waste of time. Take the path of 'just werks' or go the rout of optimization. Arch is a shitty Frankenstein that tried to bring the two together and fails consistently in both aspects.

Attached: 1548349412656.gif (700x700, 96K)

How did you get xorg working on crux

I just install it, you couldn't? This is the first time I hear a problem with xorg

that just means "we only offer support for ubuntu 16.04", it doesn't necessarily mean it will only work on ubuntu 16.04, just that they won't help you if you aren't using that

Fuck off, seriously. Ricing has only benefits: you learn your system, you make it look nice, you make it functional.

There are only two reasons why one would not like ricing: you're a redditor in cool mode, or you are too stupid to rice

Newfags: RICE! It's the best thing you can do in order to learn.

Can I get a 101 redpill on rice?

>Linux mint gets hacked
>Ubuntu sucks Amazonian cock
Should they both be avoided for a first timer?

Tastes better with saffron

Use Solus or Fedora then. Literally-works-distros.

Would you ever cook it in an instant pot?

>rice
>functional

what email client, if any, do you use for linux?
tried mailspring but it's' shit and expensive on resources.

neomutt + offlineimap

Is the idea here that I am retarded if I have an issue with ubuntu and their ties to Amazon while also using proprietary software?

Seems, you'll never enjoy the feels of a nice, clean and organized desktop, well thought through key shortcuts and a powerleveled text editor.

My OS bots in 8 seconds.
I hit a shortcut and here's my text editor.
Two more and here are all files containing ''h'
I wrote one line of regex in vim and fix 20 header files at once while listening to my favorite music in FLAC over my network using netcat and mpd with a simple hotkey. While I'm selecting a new playlist, gcc is already finished; a nice espeak voice reminds me, I open a terminal that just fits my desktop in color ,mood and daytime and ram 2 chars, git push and shit's on air while I'm not even finished listening to the first song of my playlist you fucking newfag.

So i understand the whole constant back and forth arguing about systemd and why its bad/good but for the average user or average server is systemd big enough of a problem to actually avoid or is it possible to use it without running into any issues? Ive used both sysvinit and systemd and i havent really felt any difference between using both of them.

Claws Mail is underrated.

>8 seconds
Is that with a tweaked kernel? I made mine and also use JFS as the filesystem and it boots in under 5 seconds, could be less if I disable some initscripts

Nothing I do would ever require any of this.

more distros should use runit
service files shouldn't be more complicated than a shell script that ends by exec-ing the program

I agree, and more people should try different inits

No, we need all distros to use systemd so that game companies can have a consistent base to work with.

No if you don't want to use Ubuntu or Mint, there are alternatives available.

Bleh, if they all used AppImages that would be a lot better

slut mascot for shit distro, checks out huh

Has anyone managed to fix the freezes on a Lenovo v510?
I've tried everything on different distros, but I keep getting random freezes that force me to hard restart

Why is debian so much (f)un

Attached: 45.png (1920x1080, 111K)

What kernel version?

It makes no difference to you

Use Async transfer

Linux?

Which Linux version

Attached: 1549896997572.jpg (1024x768, 126K)

Start using the GNU GIMP.

Attached: 1549897109106.jpg (3231x2424, 968K)

I've tried several:

Sometimes I wonder if Stallman knows random people on the internet is collecting his pictures and edit them

Attached: 1439961456374.jpg (432x324, 59K)

Have you checked the logs? Btw I think the prop nvidia driver is causing lockups, not sure if your laptop has a nvidia card or not, but you may try out nouveau or just disable it altogether for testing

Quick question: what is the mainframe and the gipson and why people want to hack it?

Attached: free software song.png (787x398, 19K)

It's Overchan (fork). It supports custom json themes and is available in F-droid.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-11-22-10-20.jpg (1080x1920, 576K)

is it possible to rsync a remote resource from a server located in separate network? I have ssh access to the network. Looking for something like:
rsync ssh_username@ssh_host:ip_address:port/path/on/server

>gcc
>embedded
Use llvm and clang, both of which are way more optimized for arm then gcc

>IO counted read a paragraph in 5 minutes and copy its commands verbatim so arch must be shit

I use manjaro kde (no bully) and I have this issue where it shows my phone as disconnected/not available.
I looked it up and apparently this is a common issue with Nautilus, the only workaround is using KDE Connect to transfer files.
Is this exclusive to manjaro or other distros with kde also have this?
Will they ever fix it?

I don't want to use clang. I want gcc.
Shill your shit elsewhere.

>shill
You're shilling gcc, aswell.

>llvm and clang
do you even know the difference between these words? threre must be a reason you mention both, non?

Yes, just Google rsync with ssh for examples

I've asked for gcc, you came up with clang, something I don't care about.

>Google

Attached: 1549899012474.png (256x256, 135K)

It uses Intel integrated graphics 620
And the logs don't show anything that repeats itself before every crash.

BTW I'm using it on a m2 SSD. Any chance this might cause it?

it's not me , and googling for examples is not that bad of an advice

the resource I want to obtain (and keep updated) as an website available only on the local network (which I want to ssh into). Does it complicate things in any way?

based doggo

Attached: 1549899323594.png (1280x2291, 338K)

so, where to? OpenBSD?

nvm, I'm retarded; just realized what I'm actually trying to do. I think I have the general idea, will post results when I succeed.

Kernel 5.0/5.1 when?

When did a CoC become an user exodus reason? It's only for the project members.

you mean linux?

Which kernel?

Why are so many people scared to call Linux 'Linux' to extremes that they resort to alternatives like calling it 'the kernel'? Give credit, faggots. Linus did a whole lotta work here and he called his work 'Linux'. Don't be assholes by calling his work 'the kernel', making it look like it's just some side project, made by some random hobbyist.

Related, any email client like mailspring that doesnt download all my emails locally?
I'm only using mailspring because I don't want to download thousands of emails I'll most often not want to see

What.s the current meme file manager? Is it still rangee?

Attached: 1537313509941.png (500x208, 77K)

ranger* ofc

>19-22y old fuckboi 1. not understanding my point 2. calling me a zoomer 3. uses a trump shitposting 4. so obsessed about it he replies cross thread 5.
>6. uses le ebin Jow Forums communist jew argument

On scale from 1-10 on the "should you kill yourself with all due haste" you get 15

When sjw's get privilege on code and censorship over actual developers who only care about technical superiority

How would I go about fixing the issue with libcrypto.so.1.0.0 here?

Attached: vallhalla.png (897x210, 61K)

He knows, some user asked him about it. He called them "rms face hackers". He even responded to a few images saying the "nice proprietary software faggot" one offends him and the "they said save us stallman, I said GNO" is not true, he is always willing to help.

Your system libs updated and what ever program you're running in run.sh needs to be recompiled against the new lib

So never?
Look at Linux. Is any SJW in control? No. Devs approvided the CoC on their own. Look up who signed it.
Now go back to Jow Forums with your alternative reality nightmates.

Is there a collection of these anime logo vectors anywhere? I've seen the arch logo with aqua but it's the first time I've seen Debian with maki. Are there more?

I'm collecting. Currently I have Arch, Debian and GuixSD versions.

Greg pushed Linus out and made him take a month off. In which coc was pushed with no confirmation from the Linux Foundation, who is the one that has to deal with all the issues relating to coc.

Based

Attached: 1546575022557.jpg (1089x1467, 1.34M)

I don't know jack shit about executable files in Linux, so maybe someone of you can help me?
I'm trying to run OpenRCT2, but I only have a "shared library" file which, when I double click on it, asks what program I want to run it with.
How do I turn this into an executable? I don't really feel like running it through the terminal everytime.

Here my collection. there are, however bonus frogs,shilling certain distros included: 0x0.st/zzMD.zip

Attached: 1533722208981.png (602x500, 55K)

GNU+NT

Bump