/gentoo/ - the best linux distro general

Gentoo masterrace thread. Talk about the best distro there is. Show off your desktop, discuss wms. Show what you're working on.

Attached: 1548973449837.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Package_Manager_Specification
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fontconfig#Infinality
youtube.com/watch?v=id4k1XNJ2Fo
wiki.voidlinux.org/Void_Linux
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dwm#Patching
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I used -python for git but it still depends on python2.7, why is that?

USE flags are for optional dependencies. I don't know for certain but my guess would be that git requires python so the flag is meaningless

You're waiting for Firefox to finish compiling and this guy slaps your girlfriend's ass. What do?

Attached: 1539811957813.png (250x206, 11K)

I think you need to set "-python PYTHON_TARGETS: -python2_7". maybe that works.

Kill yourself, degenerate

I leave the pitiable fool alone; GF decides what she does.

>the absolute state of gentoo's userbase

beta.

It doesn't require python and is only used for few optional scripts. From git's makefile
# Define NO_PYTHON if you do not want Python scripts or libraries at all.
As far as I can tell the ebuild sets NO_PYTHON correctly if you have -python but portage still thinks it depends on it

I think this worked. To be precise made a PYTHON_TARGETS='' env for git

Not the jealous type. Plus I'm also using nix on Gentoo pretty hard at times.

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires-fs8.png (1183x1024, 31K)

>To be precise made a PYTHON_TARGETS='' env for git
Wait, a package.env for that?

You'd have been fine appending that in package.use. Or this:
dev-vcs/git -python PYTHON_TARGETS: -*

Didn't realize it could be done like that as well

Some of the nice Paludis inventions made it into Portage a good while ago. Either way, you can.

Hipster nonsense- tell me more about Void when it's existed for 20 years without its entire userbase jumping on the next fad distro.
Obligatory reminder that portage's compilation is the unique selling point for Gentoo, not everyone gets their panties in a twist over init system flamewars. You don't even have to compile FF if you don't want to...

Attached: 1501891793622.jpg (465x465, 50K)

Ya, Portage's simplified management of compile-time options, a very developed set of tools with proper specifications ( wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Package_Manager_Specification ) and a developer base that tries to let you do *everything* you want to the extent possible. These are Gentoo's strengths.

That said, it's good that most distros are now *finally* taking a hint and settling on port / ebuild-like configuration to declare how their sauce code is built. Be it Alpine or Void or Nix or others. It's far less frustrating to deal with than apt and friends.

Maybe at some point, they'll be better at it than Gentoo? But for the foreseeable future, Gentoo still has the biggest and best tool kit.

hey lads actual question here. I've been an Arch user for a while now but I would like to branch out to more minimalist distros. As far as compiling the source packets for gentoo, what toolchain(gcc/clang)/what compiler flags are generally recomended?

Attached: iusearchbtw.jpg (480x360, 19K)

gcc
-O3

gcc-7.3 -O2 -march=native is the safe and stable way to start with. You can always later start playing (on a per package basis) with newer gcc or clang, different linkers and LTO, or different optimization flags. Don't forget to benchmark the changes to see if any of that tweaking actually makes any difference

I install Fedora

I'm mostly doing a llvm/clang stack with -Ofast. Part of what's nice about that is actually ld.lld and such.

gcc -O3 / -Ofast isn't much different and less likely to fail compiles though.

>I would like to branch out to more minimalist distros
Gentoo is not really a minimal distro. Try OpenBSD.

Gentoo is what you make of it. You can have a very minimal install.

You can't remove Bash, GCC and Python

what's the point of using an arch clone which doesn't even have the aur and why are you shilling it in a gentoo thread?

>arch clone
>runit by default
Try again

is not having systemd the only thing that makes your distro unique? lol
tell me, what does void do that arch doesn't

>xbps never breaks your system (pacman isn't horrible and I bet it works on your machine but the stereotype exists for a reason)
>musl available
>deblobbed kernel by default
>packages split sensibly, rather than arch's philosophy of making things easier for devs whenever possible
Runit is also blazing fast, and making your own init scripts is extremely simple and easy. xbps-src also gets a lot of praise, but I've never felt the need because the repos are actually quite large these days (10k+ packages maintained, including many Jow Forums memes like qutebrowser and whatnot).

I've never felt the need to use Arch myself, so I can't speak about its shortcomings from personal experience - but when the devs explicitly say the distro isn't meant to be minimal, and is intended to cater to developers, you should realize that maybe your system might just be bloated.
Void does lose out to Gentoo due to not having a custom configured kernel and super granular USE flags, but I think it comes closest out of all the binary distros I've ever considered.

gentoo needs a better logo

Cunt

Attached: 1545289033185.png (1280x1024, 816K)

>Imagine having so little accomplishment in your life you strive to get internet points with people on Jow Forums by saying you are on Gentoo when the reality is you have no idea what any of those commands do, you just followed a youtube video to get it installed.

Wow you are so cool. I wish I was like you.

Attached: file.png (395x398, 178K)

No

Attached: BlaringEachBats.webm (640x360, 235K)

Is the 'G' in "Gentoo" pronounced like in "get" or as in "general"?

>voidanon said he'll show me his server room, we'll be back when your little computer is finished thinking lol

Attached: 1544963051484.jpg (2448x3264, 2.11M)

lurk more, newfriend

Yes. The current logo is extremelly dated and doesn't have a flat version or a smaller good looking icon available.

Its a soft g as in get

> implying these fags have gfs (male or female)

wrong

Attached: IMG_20190212_181549.jpg (1010x204, 68K)

>OpenBackdoors
I don't like snake oil in security, sorry

Attached: hotline.jpg (225x225, 8K)

What's the best audio setup to have?

Is this up to date?
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fontconfig#Infinality

Based

But they wathc ponies?

Why would you say that. You realize that really a dumb thing to say, right? Man, you're so retarded. If I were you, I'd apologize.

hello gentoo.
I am looking to install a GNU/Linux distro on my T420 and previously only have experience with Arch (and Ubuntu). I am looking for a fairly minimal yet stable experience. Use case is editing and composing text and images. Music. Shitposting. Et al. I am looking at Slackware and Gentoo. Can anyone give feedback? Will probably use just some suckless and other essentials. Nothing fancy just want to put something good on the ol thinkpad.
Thanks.

Attached: swazidab.gif (534x534, 193K)

I guess either of these would work. Gentoo IMO is easier to maintain.

OTOH you could again use some Arch or Ubuntu derivative or whatever you want.

just got a gentoo gnome3 with systemd install completed. that was fun so tearing it down and starting again.

also trying arch linux with selinux but the install guides do not work right now so I am thinking about trying again when I am less frustrated.

What is the Jow Forums opinion about CloverOS?
I've never tried to install Gentoo, but Clover seems very easy. It's a good way to go or should I go balls deep and do the original one?
I'll be trying in a VM. My unique options was setting a NAS/Seedbox with Lubuntu and playing arround with Arch for the last 3 days inside a virtual machine.
Gotta no extra computer and I have a fuckton of active torrents, so I can't go really balls deep and replace everything.

Attached: 0397407a6d1f04beb4eaff566a483ad89564ffa9.jpg (960x540, 226K)

why do you want to go balls deep so bad

>ut I've never felt the need because the repos are actually quite large these days (10k+ packages maintained, including many Jow Forums memes like qutebrowser and whatnot).

I just tried an arch install. the install is a dream compared to gentoo but setting up a window manager was pain in the ass.

1. I like dicks and balls.
2. I dislike still using on shitdows.

Takes two weeks to compile GTK. No thanks.

xubuntu will run well on that and be very stable. gentoo will not be fun on that hardware.

>My unique experiences was
Fix'd. Damn, I'm an idiot.

> I've never tried to install Gentoo, but Clover seems very easy. It's a good way to go or should I go balls deep and do the original one?
Both are rather easy if you can read for two hours, which is apparently ATROCIOUSLY hard to zoomers. Try the one you want, or both. There are no big negative consequences from CloverOS if you trust the maintainer - unless something is intentionally sabotaged (which I don't think it is), you can always continue running it the usual Gentoo way.

>I'll be trying in a VM.
Then it matters even less, I guess.

SELinux is really frustrating in general, IMO.

If you can content yourself with apparmor or firejail, you're probably going to have an easier life.

yeah I dont know of any distros that support it well out of the box other than rhee and fuck that. I want to build a gentoo tank with hardened, musl, pax, grsec, but I guess that is too much to ask for in current year :(

gentoo: the distro of people who get nothing done because nothing works !

lmaoooooooooooooo gotteeem

BTW that's not to say it's bad. It makes some sense. It just has the tendency to put you into this kind of a situation.

>I want to build a gentoo tank with hardened, musl, pax, grsec, but I guess that is too much to ask for in current year :(
You more or less can, though I'm not sure about how far you can take musl. But it'll be very tedious.

And I'm not sure you'll see very appreciable security differences over the simpler apparmor or even the somewhat modest firejail.

Attached: sandboxing_cycle.png (544x589, 45K)

btw this guys install videos are really good just increase the speed to 1.5 youtube.com/watch?v=id4k1XNJ2Fo

Just use OpenBSD.

I'm a linux guy man. I know guys that run openbsd desktops but that isn't for me.

Apparmor is better

No thanks, security snake oil is the worst, Gentoo hardened is actually secure

>I'm a linux guy man.
What does that even mean? You care more about the brand instead of the actual operating system you want for a specific purpose?
>GNU/Trashware is actually secure
Post discarded.

>OpenBackdoors
>claims to be secure
>no mandatory access control
>no namespaces
>no sandboxing methods
>no jails
>no way to contain or restrict the execution of untrusted or buggy code
>only secure if you don't install anything besides the base system.
I'll just stick to GNU/Linux, since it's actually secure.

>GNU/Licnux
Stopped reading right there.

it means I use the linux kernel and standard gnu utils numbnuts.

>being this triggered
Fuck off

Context? Your post doesn't make much sense. I didn't ask if you used lincux and gnu trashutils. I asked you what makes your use of those things a prohibiting factor for using other operating systems. Learn to be less retarded and read the things you're replying to properly so that you don't embarrass yourself like this next time.

>triggered
Stopped reading right there.

Report, don't reply

>Gentoo masterrace
Only if you remove all traces of GNU freeware from your system. A nigger can't consider himself a part of the masterrace.

Butthurt

its great i recommend

Anyone knows how much of the scripts from CloverOS are portable to Gentoo in general? Do they have many dependencies or can be installed in a barebones Gentoo with no problem?

I think most can be used with small edits.

Most of what's there is the portage configuration that the dev builds the packages from, anyhow.

in general you should use O2

Installed gentoo on an rpi, currently compiling it to use it as a desktop replacement to save energy. pic related is my desktop.

Attached: 2019-02-12-215952_815x364_scrot.png (815x364, 15K)

djent-oo

the kernel is NOT deblobbed by default.

wiki.voidlinux.org/Void_Linux
>Aside from binary blobs in the kernel, a base install contains only free software

I love gentoo but the only problem I have is that patching in dwm on gentoo is downright annoying since you have to setup a custom repo. I might switch away from it soon
gtk compiles in literally a minute or two. the worst things you would need to compile is webkit and llvm though I never compiled chromium

You could use O2, but O3 or Ofast generally isn't making slower binaries than O2 nowadays.

>the only problem I have is that patching in dwm on gentoo is downright annoying since you have to setup a custom repo
That's one trivial way to do it (dunno what's annoying about it, it's just another folder). The other is to just use /etc/portage/patches/

Where is patching something even easier?

patches with the .diff file extension don't work with that method. it's explained here wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dwm#Patching

thats fast. and way too hot :O

Unless you've got a weird patch format at hand that patch can't use, what stops you from renaming the file?

I tried that and it didin't work. already using a different WM now.

How long did your setup take to build?
emerge -pe @world | genlop -tp
Estimated update time: 11 hours, 50 minutes.

Trying to install xfce on a new gentoo install and keep getting blocked packages, anyone who has had the same issue have a solution?

Estimated update time: 1 day, 10 hours, 6 minutes.

That would depend on the blocked packages and why they are blocked.

Can confirm this is not true, Gentoo runs great.

Attached: 2019-02-12-235951_1365x443_scrot.png (1365x443, 87K)

Hats off to your suckless/exwm combo.

Attached: 0_LKNWARKn6Pc5y8UC.jpg (700x700, 148K)

gentoo is fine, i use it on my x220

>install videos

Attached: cute anime pic 0291.png (1001x935, 983K)

there's nothing wrong with GNU
neck yourself you quadruple nigger

Had Gentoo installed on a spare box at work for over a year now and am starting to get to grips with it. I don't use it for much, just update and maintain it and try to play around with it when it's quiet. Might be time to install it on a more competent machine though so I can actually use it for more stuff. Having built it all up from scratch, I'm starting to love it.

It'll probably give you a good sense of what portage is about. In my experience people who switch to Gentoo find the package management more confusing than the installation process.

Why is the CPU not ARM in that screenfetch?

>Show what you're working on.
Two more packages to figure out and my system can drop python 2.7

Attached: 1525449225749.webm (550x540, 1.27M)