Social Media And Your Friends

Hey Jow Forums, I have a dilemma here and I wanna see where you guys stand on it.

A few years ago, me and my circle of friends were all more minded. After years of not conforming, we all made Facebook account around the same time.

Fast forward a few years and FB has been caught in one scandal after the other. I finally deleted my account after it was revealed that FB reads your messages and sells the data. That was enough for me.

But now my friends are giving me the "What do you have to hide" routine? These same guys that were once privacy fanatics now don't give a shit and they shame me for being "paranoid".

I've brought up other ways for us to IM without having FB but they just tell me that those are compromised too (they're probably right). But I just point out that FB is far worse.

But one one hand, it does make it so easy to keep up with family/friends etc. Now I'm torn. I kinda wanna make one again because it's insanely hard to keep up with whats going on. It's left me feeling more secluded. But on the other hand, having a FB made me feel more lonely.

What does Jow Forums do?

Attached: 50119011_1271135066360729_6314318044543247987_n.jpg (1080x1348, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20180127173904if_/http://tehlug.org:80/files/solove.pdf
rbt.asia/g/thread/65876803/#65876803
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If people are pressuring you to reveal things you don't want to reveal, then they aren't your friends. Everybody has secrets, and that's OK. We don't need to live in a society where everything is transparent. The walls are what make it worth living. Non-conformity is the spice of life.

Attached: 293475818_0893d87bb6.jpg (400x267, 53K)

/thread

this a loli thread now

Attached: image%3A4170.jpg (2366x3404, 1.67M)

>posting actual, legitimate 3dpd
>reddit spacing
>ever signed up for facebook in the first place
>keep up with friends/family

Attached: go_back.jpg (396x382, 41K)

>But now my friends are giving me the "What do you have to hide" routine?
Ask them to give you their credit card details, nude pictures, copies of their tax returns, keys to their house, etc. When they refuse or act reluctant, start asking them "what do you have to hide? huh? huh?" Turn the fucking tables on them.

also,
>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

i wish the nekopara vns weren't so shit, their infantile personalities kill my boner

based
Post more cunny

Attached: 1520160999764.png (800x617, 401K)

Attached: 1519761658075.jpg (714x1000, 297K)

Attached: 1519758447333.jpg (1200x1697, 1.15M)

Attached: 1547869341603.png (1600x2000, 2.08M)

I don't mind FB public policy. You post shit to your wall on a public forum, that's fine. I understand. Facebook has to make their money. But the reading of the "private messages" which clearly aren't private was bullshit.

But I have an extended family and it's hard to keep up with them any other way. And my friends main way of contact was a message group we were all in. Now I miss those conversations.

Attached: 50229703_127866901596767_8719022809831666347_n(1).jpg (1080x1080, 82K)

butts

holy shit stop posting disgusting 3d you ape

>Sells your data
>you now have more spam emails
boo fucking hoo
you're not important enough, that's why you don't have any thing to hide. you're a statistic, you're part of a survey that -- if someone does the research -- they'll see you sitting in your own home and don't contribute to society and continue to shitpost for years
>oh yeah, i sure have to hide my shitposting from the alphabet organizations, sure would be funny if i wasn't terribly paranoid about selling my personal data

Attached: 1547767327043.jpg (840x881, 281K)

Projection: the post

this is partially accurate

Attached: 1545504601417.jpg (724x1024, 73K)

die pedophile scum

Attached: image%3A2585.jpg (1024x576, 67K)

web.archive.org/web/20180127173904if_/http://tehlug.org:80/files/solove.pdf
Technically, anything can be compromised, but until it is, it's automatically better than the compromised thing. Decentralized, FOSS and generally stuff that's not form a big company is more agreeable.
Mining data is bad, selling it is even worse. Both should be punished by long prison sentences, at the least. Have some standards. If you've fallen so low in life that you've "nothing to hide", even a bum would feel sorry for you. Either that or you've reached enlightenment. Neither are likely. Both corporations and government agencies are farming data because we're important. If we weren't, such things would not occur.

Attached: 1379361052682.png (4416x2080, 1.46M)

Everybody has a phone with phone service. just force your friends to call/text instead of social media texting. I left facebook years ago and only regret it for one thing.

fucking facebook groups. there are so many things that used to exist in public forums and obscure websites that now exist as facebook groups that must be joined in order to read the posts from their users.

Everything from specific model 3d printer user groups, to local skate club hangouts, to local car clubs. Occasionally I have to log into facebook under my family members accounts just to read a post on a support group about troubleshooting a specific piece of hardware.

Your friends have been brainwashed by the social media collective, they might as well be lost to you now. Keep a few of them around though, you never know when you need access to one of their elusive facebook groups

Attached: image%3A2578.jpg (749x1024, 96K)

Attached: image%3A2582.jpg (819x1024, 95K)

Attached: image%3A2597.jpg (737x1024, 134K)

Attached: 1545504775169m.jpg (1024x576, 83K)

I tried texting with one friend from the group but it's just so slow and inconvenient. I eventually got him to make a discord account. The other guys won't though.

Attached: image%3A821.jpg (600x834, 86K)

Attached: image%3A2912.jpg (425x425, 36K)

i don't post here often, is this typical?

Attached: image%3A2915.jpg (768x1024, 84K)

Attached: image%3A2583.jpg (654x1024, 73K)

At least keep it pg Jesus

lolis? yeah
they're cute unlike repulsive 3dpd shit

Attached: image%3A2909.jpg (320x450, 22K)

Yeah.

Attached: 1383918833871.png (1200x1200, 712K)

Attached: gelbooru.com 3456010 d androgynous ankle_boots black_footwear black_jacket black_legwear black_short (800x1100, 628K)

>I don't post here often
good, social media is not technology

Attached: 1549696138614-g.png (300x300, 184K)

That body type is peak performance

Attached: 001 (1).jpg (1280x1808, 628K)

Honestly man, I think you're fucked.
When people start spouting bullshit about "nothing to hide" there's pretty much no way to convince them otherwise, because there's an ideological difference between you. You are against the idea of your data being collected, whereas your friends aren't. I don't think there's any other way to look at this issue. It's like asking someone why they like vanilla but not chocolate; you're not going to get an answer or be able to sway their opinion.

Only option you have is to try and show them some alternative that is functionally better than fb messenger and try to get them to switch. Just know that this is also incredibly difficult, and I myself have been trying for years to get my friends to switch off of hangouts to something like telegram, or ideally signal.

ugh, disgusting

Thanks for the advice man. Yah just kinda sucks. I was kinda hoping they would jump off too but clearly they have sold their soul. My best friend used to be very anti social media and anti attention whoring. Now he has spanned to almost every social media he can use.

The other big drawback is not being able to keep up with my cousins etc.

>not being able to keep up with my cousins
I think it becomes harder for you if you had a social media account and then deleted it. Everyone you used to stay in contact with through Facebook will now be wondering why you did it and probably keep asking you why, or to make an account again. In my case, I never had any social media, so some of my family members asked me why I didn't have one early on and all I had to say was I'm not interested in it, and that was the end of the conversation. As for keeping up with people, I try to talk to my cousins once a month just to keep up with what's happening in their lives.

As for your friends, did some major change happen to all of you guys that resulted in everyone making Facebook accounts? Starting college perhaps?

>As for your friends, did some major change happen to all of you guys that resulted in everyone making Facebook accounts? Starting college perhaps?

Yah, the one that became a huge social media whore started it. He originally used a fake account to go to all these FB groups. Then he wanted to start trading in these groups, but he knew he couldn't without a real profile so he made one. Then he badgered me and the other one to make a profile. I did mistakenly thinking maybe it could even help me meet a girl (it didn't).

Now he's gotten a few social media accounts and the other guy just doesn't wanna delete his cause it's too convenient and because he says every platform does the same thing. Even though he has no proof of it.

Make a Facebook account, upload a generic photo, add your friends and family, and only use it for messenger or whatever. Never post on your wall, tag your friends, upload pictures, etc. There, done. It's basically what I do. Lots of friends and family on there so I need it to stay in touch, but you don't have to give the Zuck any more information than you want.

LA CRETURA AY DIOS MIO

I've actually thought about this. I was wondering how cringey it was. When I see a profile that doesn't use a pick of their selves, I always feel like that person is super insecure. So that's one reason I don't wanna do it. And part of the issues too is I don't wanna use instant messenger. The instant messenger recorded data is what pissed me off to begin with

If you had a Facebook already, then they have your pic. Use the same pic you used before. Or make an image with your initials, I've seen some people do that too. As for Messenger, well, there isn't any getting around that. You just need to be conscious that its happening and treat it like if you're having a conversation in an open plaza. Assume you can be overheard and remember that what you're saying isn't that interesting anyway. If you want to talk about something that interesting, then save it for face-to-face talk.

And, obviously, make as much of your profile private to strangers and friends of friends as you can. Just because Zuck can see your shit doesn't mean that you should let anyone else see it too.

I have similar mindset but I keep my facebook profile active without any pictures or information as a way to IM with the friends I care about the most. Because they're not on any other platform, just use it as if you were talking in a room with an FBI agent listening in, only so much you wouldnt actually talk about with a third party in the room, save those subjects for a phone call, which is a better way to maintain a friendship bond anyways. Who is the semen demon?

Well it's been deleted for over 30 days so technically it should be deleted by now.

thanks for the advice

girl is lo_sangstaaa

Attached: 50050169_319175385395212_7238905259381745984_n.jpg (1080x1350, 217K)

Whatsapp is the only botnet I still haven't deleted for the same reasons, friends and family won't use a secure method to send me their bullshit. I convinced some friends to use Wire, and my mother too, but they easy forgot about Wire, specially because they only use it to talk to me.

Theres just no way to have a social life without conforming

Didn't read. Source on piggy?

whatsapp has e2e encryption

Blame big corps (and propietary software), they should have implemented secure methods since the begginig, but they didn't want to.

That's what they say, but I can read the source code to confirm it, how can you trust Facebook?

tree post above you

You're not missing out on anything, you don't need a social media account. Just use Wire/Riot.im or whatever else is borderline safe yet accessible to communicate with people.
That said, your OS is also spying on you and even if you're running GNU on your desktop and use Librem 5 or whatever, your friends are likely to be on windows and android/iOS so your messages are known to ad agencies and NSA/CIA/FBI already. So if you don't want to put them through the inconvenience of having to contact you on something that they don't want to install, you can just run android in a virtual machine and have as many normie/spyware apps/IMs as you want there, including Facebook messenger. You DON'T need to upload a single file to Facebook, ever. And you don't need to talk about things there if you don't want to. Think of it as speaking to people in north korea/jail/church, just mind what you say and how often you speak.

Kys, shill.

While you're worried about Facebook maybe tracking you there are websites out there like speako literally publishing home address and telephone numbers. Your license plate can be ran and through experian it'll tell you the year, Model, and Vin number.

Parcel records are also public. Vehicle purchases are public. Court and arrest records are public.

Worrying about your social media is a waste of energy and pointless.

top quality doujin right there

So wire/riot lets you message with people that have FB account? And you dont have to have one?

I know the government is spying, I just have to accept that. But I dont like FB doing it.

Thats true too. Thats why it makes me wonder if I'm just wasting time.

>So wire/riot lets you message with people that have FB account
No. They're just normie messengers like WhatsApp and telegram except they're not selling your data. It's easier to tell people to use that compared to Trifa/qTox and Briar.
Riot.im might have a bridge to facebook, but you still need a Facebook account. The point is to not use facebook at all. If you want to have encrypted chats on facebook then look into oversec (on fdroid). It's "encrypting" texts on the fly no matter what chat software you use. You just need to tell other people to use it.

thanks

OP just tell them to fuck off your personal life. You dont need Facebook. I deleted that shit a long time ago and my life feels 100 times better. Just go out and socialize like a normal human being.

Myself I been a victim of facebook hell, relationships(women turn into detectives with facebook.

Jobs.Call in sick for work and every faggy Manager wants to go in ur facebook and check out if you were really at home sick.

old friends from 15 years ago trying to be social and techy because "heyyy Look at me I have facebook and im special" (Attention Whores)

if you like all those things then you should probably keep it but not for me thanks.

deleted my Facebook around 2015. Definitely feel like its fucked my social life a little but i guess its worth it, most of it was just dumb shit I never really needed to see anyways....

Exactly. Even if I was able to meet a girl, it would immediately raise alarms because I didn't have a FB.

This too. do you have any social media?

Yeah, there's been a surprising increase in literal pedos posting here in the past 6 months or so. Not sure what caused the change.

What's with all the facebook shilling lately? Every day there's one of these faggots with the same "guys, I know it's bad, but how else are you gonna keep up with the world?" garbage argument.

based

I haven't logged in to my "real" FB since 2012 except once in 2013 to get directions to a wedding because the dumbfuck groom doesnt use texts and only uses fb messenger and my gf was driving us halfway across amerika to go to it and her phone was dead.
"Most" of my "friends" have been basically cut out of my life. Some people who actually will still CALL me, yes, actually fucking CALL, or god forbid install some other instant messaging software (not discord, fuck off and die faggots), or use SMS still, whatever.
But basically I have different friends who actually will go through the "extra effort" to contact me and TALK TO ME about a trip rather than scroll through a couple dozen pictures or send a snap video or whatever.
That said, I haven't spoken with my dad's side of the family at all, and I only see mom's side for holidays, and don't talk to them inbetween.
ANYWAY kill yourself OP you redding spacing nigger sellout. If your friends are giving you "nothing to hide nothing to fear" shit then they are already brainwashed/compromised/etc, it is 2019 and they drank enough of the koolaid and watched enough "ORANGE MAN BAD" tv, that FB/Insta/Twitter/Snap/Etc are their friends. (rip tumblr)
Anyway, you said it best yourself - having a FB made you feel more lonely.

My suggestion, OP, is having a dummy FB for employers so you look like a presentable employee. I have one that I update maybe once a month with a picture of me rock climbing or something. No drinking or partying or anything on that one. Also you never used your real name on your "official contact family and friends one" right? Right? Lol.

Anyway, I would suggest you never fucking listen to Jow Forums for advice, but, here's my advice anyway:
Try to keep some friends you've had for a long time, even if they're total faggots now. I'm still friends with a few people from my very early childhood, even though one became a huge macfag
Use non-FB for people you can with.
Use FB For people you have to.

>Myself I been a victim of facebook hell, relationships(women turn into detectives with facebook.
This is actually why I gave up on Aidsbook
If I ever looked at shit my gf did I would go fucking wild and insane. Like a photo of some dude? I'm fucking mad. Comment on some other guy's post for anything? I'm fucking mad. Message anyone about anything? I'm fucking mad. So I stopped looking so I wouldn't be so mad, and I'd break up with her in a few months anyway. 2 years later I'm married to her and I still dont look at the shit sht posts online and I know I wouldn't be able to stand it. She is one of those people who unironically tweets stuff to celebrities and the president and cares about how many likes she got or whatever.

kek
use imo.im or pidgin
tell your friends to fuck off or deal with it
facebook groups are for evreything
facebook events are for everything
facebook MARKETPLACE is for everything
people literally use fucking facebook calendar events for every party ever, so you gotta be like really close friends with someone who still keeps up with it, like your secretary or something.

>just force your friends to call/text instead of social media texting
What do you do when they don't do that?
You are glowing in the dark.

Attached: 1548692421196.jpg (478x478, 46K)

this but unironically.
Install discord! :^)

Fucking casuals man. They ruin everything.
- /v/, circa 2009
Friend of mine did this with pic reated, and used Ippo as his actual name. Just chatted with me and a few other people. Idk what happened to his other account. I think he just deactivated it or w/e.
You shouldn't be so worried about if someone sees you as insecure though. Are you 23? 21? Younger?

Attached: Makunouchi Ippo.jpg (225x350, 38K)

No one wants your IG whores. They aren't models, they're dumb sluts with a $1200 plastic NOTCH'D turd with 37 photo editing apps on it.
You shouldn't have asked for source on something that is easily reverse image searched, and he shouldn't have spoonfed you.
That said, the rest of your post is correct. If you're talking on FB messenger only speak as if you're being watched with a pair of agent smiths standing on either side of you, and you're chained to a desk in a police station.

Absolutely based and blackpilled.
Grandma bought an amazon echo so I have botnet now.
Also she got a Xiaomi knockoff roomba that's literally mapping our home so when the chinese invade they know our entire floorplan.

Very simple. I don't have friends. At all. I thought I did, but when I deleted all social media, not a single person contacted me anymore. So in a sense, I never was a friend for anyone, just a profile on a database for amusement. I don't need that shit to prove myself that I exist, if someone does, well fuck them and their sad clickbait lives.

Jesus fucking christ OP how can you have such shit taste

Nice dubs
Literally me
I have been truly alone for seven years

It's a fucking disease. I completely disconnected from it and do not under any circumstances associate with anyone who makes it essential for themselves.
People have bubbles in which their delusions roam free, usually they get in deep if they are isolated with no external stimuli, however, back in the day spending some time outside or doing an activity would pop that bubble and you would feel anew and afresh, much like a holiday after a long period of work mentally resets you. Social media and smartphones allows that bubble a never ending presence, and it grows, festering with mental illnesses encourage by others for praise and attention, which expands their bubble, feeds their ego and adds to their arrogance. It's all fake and inflated, and if you spend enough time observing from the outside it's disgusting, nearly makes you vomit as to how vapid and detached from reality people become. Its also why they're so fucking fragile. Everything is now coated in this bubble so it never pops, and when life hits hard or they get bubble deflated by some other person's bubble, they become depressed or suicide even though materially they are absofuckinglutely not starving or dying.
It's fucking toxic, so much more toxic than just city life alone for you.

>having friends

Attached: 1527932501432.png (306x611, 216K)

rbt.asia/g/thread/65876803/#65876803
i cant get hired.

IDK about that one chief. Not having social media is weird but can easily be explained by saying that you've been reading the news...

>You shouldn't have asked for source on something that is easily reverse image searched, and he shouldn't have spoonfed you.
When you came in here and read my post, did you see my sign saying "SAUCE NOW MoFo"? You know why you didn't see it there? Because it ain't there because asking for sauce from MoFo OP isn't my fucking business that's why. The man asked a god damn opinion from anonymous and an opinion is what I fucking provided him with, don't you confuse my pasty fat white ass with these mouth breathers who just go "SAUCE".. Shit.

Attached: gay anon.jpg (1279x719, 138K)

How is that reddit? Because being an anime posting virgin is more Jow Forums or something? Ive been here for years and im not that gay, speak for yourself

/thread

Attached: 1549071468633.jpg (227x250, 7K)

yes sir facebook is aids for relationships.
if you are on a healthy relationship stay away from it.

THIS so much,even just flipping out the older models get's you looks of confusing from other people "you don't have a smartphone" "tee-hee what are you poor"

it's absolutely ridiculous how much attachment people have with having "the newest thing"

Attached: rsz_feature_phones.png (1024x948, 845K)

>But now my friends are giving me the "What do you have to hide" routine? These same guys that were once privacy fanatics now don't give a shit and they shame me for being "paranoid".
i think you're being paranoid, but you do have some valid reasons. it's up to you. i'm not gonna browbeat you or call you names

>"tee-hee what are you poor"
*whips $2000 thinkpad x1 carbon out of backpack*

>*whips $2000 thinkpad x1 carbon out of backpack*
"Ew, how can you even use a laptop that old? Can't you afford a macbook?"

That is what I do for locals. What am I supposed to do with people who are in different countries? Specially in the United States of School Shootings, everyone there is on FB, it becomes the only way to stay in touch. I seriously don't understand using IM apps with people who are nearby., just call them.

even if someone has absolute trust in what someone would do with the data given up willingly, do they have absolute trust that nobody with malicious intent will hack into facebook?

>But now my friends are giving me the "What do you have to hide" routine? These same guys that were once privacy fanatics now don't give a shit and they shame me for being "paranoid".
They've forgotten that you don't have to do anything wrong at all in order to be persecuted.

stop being friends with them. Anytime someone is that desperate to shill social media to you, you gotta recognize that they aren't worth your time and are not good friends.

>What does Jow Forums do?
SMS.

text is slow as shit

Attached: 50898646_357604238405561_6195073195639657887_n(1).jpg (612x724, 51K)

>shill

I don't think so user