When did you realize dwm ends all the ricing cancer?

When did you realize dwm ends all the ricing cancer?

Like shit, i was ricing 24/7 on the other wms. Lol

Attached: dwm-20110720.png (1680x1050, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.suckless.org/dwm
git.suckless.org/dmenu
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ricing is fun but it only took me two days to ride up Plasma to my liking. That was years ago.

Why should I use dwm over any other tiling window manager?

U probably shouldn't unless your getting it from a ports tree where your dwm.h will be persistent. But yeah I guess it's like a less intuitive i3 with a few more interesting features if you bother to learn it. Also very light on RAM, ~100mb if it's the only thing running.

MY EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

Font?

Nice color scheme. Nice font rendering. What font is that?

>tfw guys really have colorschemes like this and don't see the issue

>doesn't know terminus
leave this board and never come back

Just use twin myman

Attached: twin.jpg (1280x720, 207K)

>dwm

Attached: 1534677298168.png (205x246, 6K)

>linux desktop

Attached: 1538129119896.png (362x259, 156K)

samefag

DWM doesn't work on Wayland. I'm not going back to X.

vanilla dwm is great, but you can rice the shit out of it

Attached: dwmcolors-2019-02-07_12.35.40.webm (1366x768, 1015K)

I pefer i3s stock keybindings

are you on drugs?

>he fell for the dwm meme
imagine how hard #suckless are laughing at people like op right nao

no I just get bored easily so the colors are nice. are you the retard that thinks caffiene = meth?
>dwm
>dmenu
>slock
>st
>tabbed
name one flaw with any of these

Attached: 2019-02-13-1550072677.png (1951x1097, 3.39M)

>dwm
xlib
>tabbed
you only use this because of your retarded wm
with i3 in tabbed mode it's useless

I mainly use tabbed with zathura for grouping together books. Like if I have a bunch of therapy guidelines open I'll group them by disease state or whatever else per window.
deck mode + raising + dmenu is superior to i3 tabbed when you want to tab half your screen and leave the other half static.
I also have something similar to gnomes overviews where the 0 tag shows all the open windows and I have a shortcut to warp the view to whatever tag that program is on + focus it.
i3 just can't compete.

Attached: random-2019-01-28_06.11.26.webm (854x480, 2.48M)

What functionality does dwm have that i3 doesn't? i3 is really easy to learn, takes up a similar amount of ram, and has nice features like tabbed/stacked mode.

They all depend on X.

there's nothing wrong with x
dwm does more for less

pure autism, and i3 tabs just fine, you know you can tab a tab right

>What functionality does dwm have
ftfy

X11 is a hack. If you're using MIT-SHM, or any DRI-extensions, you have no excuse to prefer x11 over wayland.

>dwm does more for less
Yeah what more does it do?

I usually have over 20 pdfs/documents open. Grouping them in seperate tabbed windows that I can move around is more effecient. You clearly don't do anything but have a neofetch and browser open.
wayland is gay, CSD is cancer and you're a nigger.

Attached: 2019-02-13comfydwm.png (1366x768, 1.32M)

lol, if you’re gonna just do that gay terminal shit just use screen or dvtm on a framebuffer console

tags are much more useful than static workspaces for one.
also i3 multi-monitor is fucking pathetic, it just displays 2 workspaces at the same time, whereas dwm gives you a full set of tags per monitor, including a second scratchpad workspace if you're using one.
i3 is pathetic compared to vanilla dwm, and it just can't compete with my riced out 3000 SLOC dwm.c.

Attached: 2019-02-11-1549887906.png (2646x1024, 1.62M)

You ever sent an email to garbe?

who?

Attached: 2019-02-07-1549576444.png (1366x768, 946K)

The guy who created dwm, holy nigger fuck.

no I haven't. Why would I? If there was a bug to report I'd use the suckless mailing list, but I've never had a problem.

how many times do you need the song name displayed

>6.2 isnt in gentoo default repositories
Reeeeee. I honestly would switch to dwm over i3 if I could figure out how to make it work similar. Ive looked at the patches but didn't find anything that makes it the same. I like how i3 handles me vertical/horizontal stacks and all that. I like the modular feel to it, rather than having to work within a layout. That and the fact of being able to making weird layouts with stacks is joy. I'm not good enough at C yet to make all the changes I want :(

git clone git.suckless.org/dwm
git clone git.suckless.org/dmenu

>patches are retarded

ncmpcc is usually in a scratchpad for me or not running at all, so it's nice to see what song is running. 99% I control mpd with keyboard shortcuts unless I'm making a playlist or something.
standard layouts are better than constantly having to split masters with i3, it's also trivial to add your own layout to dwm.c.
Also I don't install dwm from any repos, makes my setup portable and distro/os agnostic.

Attached: 2019-01-11-1547246917.png (1366x768, 1.56M)

>When did you realize dwm ends all the ricing cancer?
So does Openbox, in my experience.

Nope.
What kind of bar ya got faggot?

Eh I think how i3 handles masters is more convenient for me. Layouts are good if you have a particular workflow, or need the same setup often. I don't, and am constantly moving windows, resizing, re organizing. And it's a pain with layouts.

i spent 4 months of my life configuring i3 along with nvim and other programs, crammed it in a git repo and now have nothing to rice

it looks about the same as op's pic

>terminus
spotted the boomer

thats cool, to each his own.

Just did that. I usually like to let portage handle installing/removing packages but cant be fucked to make an ebuild for it or whatever right now.

Fuck it. I'm gonna mess with it for the next couple of weeks. All I've really been doing for the last month or so is programming, having one terminal cover 70% on the left for code and 30% on the right for compiling/testing.

if you weren't a tryhard retard you'd use awesome

use xmonad faggots

Haskell's comfy, but C is ultimate cozy.

Attached: 1530968563314-a.png (500x500, 9K)

>that one xmonad fag on Jow Forums

>not being a tryhard is using the tryhard lua-based fork of dwm.
ok

>Grouping them in seperate tabbed windows that I can move around is more effecient.
You can do that in i3 as well. I admit that floating containers in i3 aren't well thought out though. A lot of things in i3 aren't.

whatever rubs your autism luke

like?

>a wrench is so much more useful than a screwdriver guys!

I've tried it in i3 and it's just not as good as the dwm setup I have. Again, to each his own.
>luke
why
what the fuck are you on about? If you're too retarded to explain your point without shitty analogies at least choose a decent one.

Container highlight is weird. You can't tell from looking whether the workspace container is selected or its immediate child, the same problem with split containers containing one container (you can't see if you selected the split or the contents).
Floating containers are odd overall, for example you can't see them when you fullscreen a container which is very uncomfy (for example you have tabs with a browser and you make the tabs fullscreen to focus on them and can't see any popouts from the browser)
Highlighting focus: when you select a container, you can't see what's focused inside it anymore (I wonder if changing color scheme would be enough here).
Moving containers is a mess, for example you have T[ T[ws1...] T[ T[ws2...] ws3...] ] and want to move inner tabs into T[ T[ws1...] T[ws2...] T[ws3...]. If you try to focus T[ws2...] and move it to the left, it will move into the T[ws1...] container. Moving up or down will move it out of the outer tabs into whatever is the parent. Actually moving any container in place of T[ws1...] would probably have the same problem. The solution is to move inner containers to one edge always but that also doesn't work if you have more nested tabs.
By the way sometimes when moving tabs inside tabs the container label isn't updated, but that's just a bug. Another odd thing which you could consider just a bug is that you can't move containers from a display with a fullscreen container (to another display).

Overall most of the functionality is just ad-hoc mess which you can easily see with a peak at the source code. Fucking 20k LOC including 2k of muh special snowflake custom parser.

>Container highlight is weird.
colours, don't see an issue, change 2 or 3 hexes
>Floating containers are odd overall,
they're always on top as with most wms
fs IS fs ie the mpv --fs
>Highlighting focus:
it's very uncomfy to do it with the mouse but they've thought of the keys smart, i suggest you make use of the different desktops - 10 should be enough
idk about up and down im not into the tiling autism
>By the way sometimes when moving tabs inside tabs the container label isn't updated, but that's just a bug. Another odd thing which you could consider just a bug is that you can't move containers from a display with a fullscreen container (to another display).
i have no idea what all of this is, my guess is you're right output from wrong input

overall it's the best still maintained wm, most of everything else is obsolete or abandoned

you're expecting

>use suckless software
>there is nothing wrong with X
Do you have brain damage?

I use the thinking man's DE

Attached: ArchLabs_2019-02-13-54_1366x768.png (1366x768, 654K)

>too dumb to install arch
>too dumb to install dwm
>too dumb to install mpd
>too dumb to rice conky
>too dumb to memorize shortcuts
whats wrong with X?

what bar is that? archlabs default one?

Many things.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation&num=1

tell me why X is bad in your own big boy words.

>too dumb
More like too lazy. Besides the default theme is extremely nice.
To rice DWM you need to be able to program in a shitty language.
The only true and real productive tiling wms are stumpWM and exwm

I've never even heard of any of those "artists"

I added almost 1000 SLOC to dwm.c without knowing a lick of C. It's clearly not a shitty language if it's that easy to pick up. It also runs fast no matter how shit the hardware is.

Why should I repeat things the article covers? You asked me what's wrong with X and I gave you the answer. If you are just going to ignore it, that's your problem.

if you're going to just shit out a list that someone else wrote, clearly you don't actually know or understand what you're arguing about.
If I tell a patient they need to fix their lifestyle I would explain why they're retarded and what they have to fix, not link to a buzzfeed article.
Fuck off and stop parroting shit you don't understand, you're no better than a fucking monkey.

Attached: 2019-02-10-1549788460.jpg (1951x1097, 891K)

It's polybar, I thought tint2 was ugly

Well, can't help you when you simply refuse to read.
Have a good day.

>le read this and make my arugment for me
The absolute state of you

Attached: 1549986808984.png (1280x720, 169K)

I've been using stump for years. The ability to use common lisp with a repl is amazing for a WM. No need to restart. It might not provide the most visually appealing experience but the utility it provides is excellent

Thoughts on EXWM?

Im previous stump guy. I tried exwm for a few weeks. I ran into performance issues (Emacs related) which would become extremely frustrating. Using it was a pleasure but when it would mess up I would have to restart session and load everything again. Elsip is fine but for a solid experience I prefer stump (CL)

What I like about EXWM is that you can easily integrate any emacs package into it in no time, while also having access to the huge list of packages available as well. I'm curious as to what performance issues you ran into though, my main fear is that I am going to need something or do something that is just not going to be possible because of EXWM and I am going to basically be fucked with having to switch to a more traditional wm. Also how is the support for Stump patch wise?

What's the best way to get my dwmstatus to update more often? Right now I have
>dwmstatus 2>&1 >/null &
In my .xinitrc. should I add a sleep command to that, so that it updates every half minute or so? Or is there something I should do to dwmstatus itself?

if EXWM is working for you then I probably wouldnt worry about it, especially if you're gaining elisp skill anyways. When I tried it out it was a few years ago so maybe it has changed for the better. Emacs (EXWM) would hang and everything would stall. I have a pretty intense battlestation with 7 monitors and a lot of stuff going on so that likely played a role in some of the issues. There are some things you can do to try to integrate emacs (far from perfect) into stumpwm (look at stumpwm-contrib) but i would be hard to beat EXWM. I've been wanting to give EXWM another shot but havent been able to justify the time commitment. Stumpwm patches are fine and I havent had any issues. I've skimmed the code and it's quality CL from experienced developers.

Five years ago with Ratpoison

Attached: ratpoison.png (180x197, 38K)

Pretty interesting stuff, thanks for the info user; if things go south I guess I'll have that to fall back on.

not sure, but suckless also provides slstatus which is more configurable

also it's /dev/null
you might be writing to a file called null in your root directory right now

>C is ultimate cozy.
> C
> Cozy
Zoomer please go

What is the issue, is the issue that YOU dont like it, are you saying that everyone has to get your approval?

always wanted to try one of these window managers but I'm really afraid that I will become a self loathing weaboo that posts screenshots on desktop threads and I would hate that

stop listening to nigger music

sleep(60) is hardcoded into dwmstatus, you need to change that and recompile

>dwm ends all the ricing cancer
dwm doesn't end shit, kde does.

just use an xsetroot loop you moron

>all of this fancy shit people do with their TWM
I literally just tab everything by default and sometimes I might split out a window if I want to see two or more things at once.

You use tiling wms mainly for tab functionality, and not tiling?

>with a few more interesting features if you bother to learn it
what are you talking about?

>no bar that will allow you to scroll on the volume icon to change volume

Attached: 1539909428289.png (778x1018, 591K)

Looks glitched

Yes

just use goomwwm, then.

Looks like abandonware though.

the dwm bar can run commands on mouse buttons, so you can set scroll up and down on the bar to change volume
it's on the fly color changing with a keybind, somthing i3 can't do.

I'm positive it can through i3-msg but I think it's an useless feature anyway. Make something comfy and consistent then stop ricing.