Be sysadmin

>be sysadmin
>fired after 3 years
>only was on site maybe a month in that time

How did they find out Jow Forums? There's nothing I can't do there remotely most of the time. Yet they expected me to be there every day.

Attached: 1549960177242.png (248x249, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/iJD8f
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>stealing 3 years worth of wages
you did pretty good, now go do it again

why not try to act like your working?

>watch anime instead of doing shit

not like they will know

This. Just go into work everyday, drink coffee, chat up your coworkers, take long lunches, and play video games all day. If you've automated your job just go full zen and enjoy your day.

Things I've learned working in IT: if you wanna get paid you need to turn up. If a company watches you fix something remotely in five minutes and you invoice them they won't believe it's worth that much. Go in. Bring tools. Act like it's a big deal. Then hit them up for cash after checking with people that they are happy and that they're issue is resolved. Press the flesh to get paid. If you're a salaried employee well then it's up to your relationship with.your manager whether you can get away with working remotely or not.

> >fired after 3 years
> >only was on site maybe a month in that time
Y tho.

I don't get why boomer bosses do this.
It's not like he was stealing his wage. The work he was being paid to do was being done, whether the employee shows his face there or not should be irrelevant.

OP didnt have the essential quality required by boomer bosses - f i r m h a n d s h a k e

Fair point.

I don't know much about how to automate but if he did that, would it benefit him to just license that process to the company and make money off it?

Many major companies wouldn't pay $25 for something that would save them thousands so I doubt this.

I've found that automation actually hurts your job security. If you fix everything before anyone notices, then management thinks you're not worth keeping around, no matter how much you explain what automation does. They expect problems to show up from time to time.

Do what is necessary to prevent major disruptions. For minor shit, just wait until someone complains

everybody fucking says this about sysadmin. how long until the jig is up? if im 21 and going to graduate in 2 years, how do i get a top comfy job like this? for me, comfy >>>> wages

Just become a developer, I unironncly don't do shit. Probably do like 10 hours of actual work a week max.

Here is what my day so far has been

>PM emails me "hey I think our client is going to want the text on the pop-up messages to be bigger, they haven't said anything yet but I'm sure they will"
>Spend 2 minutes in the code and see the text font size is a set value
>Respond "sure what font size would you like?"
>No response 2 hours later

And here I am shit posting on Jow Forums

>How did they find out Jow Forums?
We got a real sysadmin to check the logfiles. If you had ever done that once, you might still be employed.

Of the 36 months, you were on site only for 1. I'd say that's pretty good.
Not as good for job security as you may have noticed, though.

Maybe should've gone on site some more and do literally nothing

If you are paid to carry out work in a certain location, and you are not at that location, what else would you expect the eventual outcome to be?

I'm currently 17 months in to a comfy role, working remotely, doing nothing but getting paid.

Twice a week I have some conference calls but I still sit back and play games, muting my work headset

I'm not saying he didn't breach the contract, I can't possibly know the details. My point is, why even bother putting that restriction in it?

There may be lots of reasons. We might want to know that you're actually producing the code yourself, and not getting some pajeet to write shitty code for $5 a day. We might want to know that you are spending sufficient time working on our issues. We may wish for our employees to be able to 'switch off' when they leave for the day as we think it increases productivity. We may need someone to act as en emergency first aid person. We may tell you to clean the toilets. It may be a contractual obligation to a client that no code is executed outwith the confines of the physical LAN.
There are lots of reasons, these are just a few.
If you sign a contract to be somewhere, and you're not there, there is ony one, entirely predictable, end-result.

Attached: 5guys cheeseburger.png (1110x692, 165K)

There’s a lot to be said for being physically at the location you work at. Even if they’re paying you to keep things running and you do, if no one realizes you’re doing it because they don’t physically see you or they just decide they could pay someone exactly what they pay you to do the same job but that guy comes in to the office, why should they keep you around?

This. If you're cool with your manager, you can work from home often or completely. I would come in to work twice a week at my last job, played video games most of the time at home.

network security architect here
i work remote and bs all day
i only have to work when shit is escalated to me
maybe 15 hours a week max.
ive considered getting another job and just doing both

I'm going to start a business that contractually requires employees to continuously change location while working. Whether you get home or a McDonald's 5 miles away will be a lottery.

>I'm going to start a business that contractually requires employees to continuously change location while working

Yeah, that's called a delivery company, my dude.

Attached: 2030ad.jpg (900x600, 75K)

What do you do?

>sysadmin
>no incidents currently in the queue everything is pending other people
>play some tf2 and fuck around with nixos
>halfway in get a ping from lead about what I'm doing
>tell him plain and simple just waiting for approvals and staying on call and shit
>he confesses to me he's not doing anything either but installing the new titanfall demo or whatever
this industry is a meme and I love it

>tfw sysadmin
>get cubicle while everyone else is in landscape
>Jow Forums all day, special rules in firewall to let myself out while everyone else is monitored
>have "boss workspace" I switch to when some schmuck comes to ask me anything
>full of random terminals and monitoring websites, oh and email
>multiple desks full of old or broken hardware
>nap

It will come crashing down in a few years.

Oracle DBA

no it wont. its similar to being a fireman.
shit is going to break at some point and no one knows how anything works. they have to pay one way or the other for some fag to manage their gear.

>an app that let's bosses hire out their sysadmins as delivery drivers while they "work remotely"
I have a billion dollar idea guys

lucky you, can't find any oracle database developer roles in my country anymore, all businesses moved to he shitty ms sql server, no way I'm investing my time to learn this shit in depth famalam

Yep, I've been forced into learning MS SQL Server and my role is actively being pushed out, I'm counting down the days of my freedom to an unofficial date

I feel you man.

Haven't been keeping up with the DB scene, why do you hate MSSQL and why is there a shift from Oracle?

I personally don't hate it, but it is deviating from PLSQL which we adore.

Oracle is extremely fucking expensive, you can get alternatives for 1/100 of the cost and will do half as well.

literally my dream. how feasible is it to land such a position where I can automate myself into doing nothing at all while still collecting a paycheck

Never. Your boss will always come up with crazy ideas.

Can your sysadmins mow lawns while they're working remotely?
I could use some network engineers to clean my pool too if you have any available.

Attached: 061.jpg (500x500, 34K)

I've unironically did nothing as a sys admin for years. great job for the lazy. when get too bored go somewhere else for a pay raise. repeat.

can't i just introduce my own malware into the system every time my slave master thinks im too lazy? Then solve it at a time of my choosing, making myself useful?

at my last gig I had a douche co-admin which prevented me from running hundreds of monero miners on aws. welp.

then the consequences for getting caught change from "fired" to "prison"

Eventually a third party will get a phone call through to the CEO, convince them that they need an external audit to prevent 'cyber cloud hackers', and your ass will do around 10 years in prison when they pull the logfiles and show that it was you.

well sysadmins can justify legitimate back doors but malware is actually giving 3rd parties to your network which is always a bad idea.

Do you even know what malware is buddy?

Did they ACTUALLY visit your workspace and find you weren't there for days in a row?

Fucking shocking.

Attached: 1545547744064.png (694x801, 77K)

>dont show up to work
>get fired

lmao

QFT
It's really that simple.

it doesnt even return anything...

They don't know about IT.

They think if there are often problems and you work long hours, you are good, because you work hard.

If everything is running smoothless and every problem takes 5 minutes, they assume it's not enough work for your paycheck.

See imgur.com/a/iJD8f

did you ever watch the archer episode where cyril tries to be the hero?

anybody have some book recommendations on sysadmining? Im currently reading the linux commandline if that counts.

lmao sounds like you crazies went out and tried it. nice

if you weren't needed you could've made mancave there, you fucked up your free paycheck

I work as a sysadmin and work maybe an hour a day while the vendor does most of the heavy lifting. I spend most of my day trying to look busy by working on personal programming projects and reading pirated tech PDFs. When I worked night-shift, I would watch movies and trade crypto all night. Now that I work during the day, I have to try to not give them a reason to fire me.

this sort of story is exactly why I'm getting into this field