Why does ui continue to devolve? Will icons just be single color squares in a few years?

Why does ui continue to devolve? Will icons just be single color squares in a few years?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 11.39.53 AM.png (978x530, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/papirus-icon-theme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To spite you specifically.

based brave bro haha!

Just use the unofficial branding and imagine the fox.

Attached: about-logo.png (192x192, 30K)

>3 hours long to design
>1 hours long to design
>10 minutes paint
all for 200k annually
plus, since now most are sjws and poojeet they use more time to focus on their toilet and being nosy social justice warriors than focus on the product and users.

>single color squares in a few years?
Soon.

Attached: apple-ios7-icons.png (588x406, 46K)

but user, I prefer the one on the right to the other two

sup

Attached: LibreOffice Writer.jpg (1509x95, 42K)

While this is fixing what isn't broken, there are some slight benefits that come with updating your look for modern (especially mobile) devices
Not that it's worth paying somebody to do when the logo never had these issues

How do people muster the energy to be upset about program icons and make threads about them

Looks better than the old icons at least.

Found the zoomer

those are gradients

UI is devolving because when people first had graphics on their computers that were more than just basic characters users were impressed so designers went real overboard making shit look over the top. This continued as people had graphics with more bit depth etc. Now people are used to computers displaying graphics they aren't impressed, so they look past it and see it is actually a hindrance to have things over designed.

I myself am very pleased that things are getting more simple and less distracting from a product’s actual function.

Netscape still has the best branding of all time.

Attached: z3XXkqJ.png (210x316, 26K)

because right now flat design is very hip.
in 10 years everything will have updated to a different style, and you'll make another thread bitching about whatever that is (if 4channel can survive that long)

It is caused by bloat. The more bloat there is the more simplistic the logo becomes.

Attached: Win10.png (500x561, 9K)

no it doesn't

post the spinny globe

I do think in the case of FF it keeps improving.
The warmer colours are nice and the tail looks more like a flame than before.

Attached: 1541328461805.jpg (768x768, 40K)

Niggas here doesn't even understand graphic design

Everything was becoming graphically bloated as fuck, the only way to stand out was becoming simpler. Lots of details were catchy in the past, now it isn't.

It reflects the dumbing down of society.

It goes in cycles. We’re going back to “bubbly” design soon

>it's another Jow Forums doesn't know shit about /gd/ episode
Boomers, plz kindly gtfo. Windows 95 looks like shit, it's time to grow out of it and accept it.

Attached: stop_posting.jpg (567x425, 37K)

based.

this

You may not like it, but graphic designers know what's truly stylish

Attached: 1548235452188.jpg (763x1041, 165K)

That's just the breeze theme in top of LibreOffice though.
It's also way better than the default shit

How can you honestly say that these icons look good?
They're over-rendered, the style makes everything look chunkier than the UI already is, and would look more at home in Office 2k3 really.

Attached: Vg9appxQFZHjufT3mC2BQR-1200-80.jpg (920x518, 79K)

What was microsoft thinking? The logo looked fined during windows 7 and before.

Attached: win7 logo.png (458x458, 88K)

Logos are bloat.

>color
Damned hipster

>COLOR BAD
>LOW CONTRAST GOOD

Attached: 1548436048363.png (625x773, 143K)

It represents climate change

>I regular some specialty board nobody gives a shit about, so my opinion matters more than the end users of software

Attached: 1509152408449.jpg (601x508, 60K)

UI will necessarily change, because each new iteration will want to separate itself from the previous one, to appear more new. The direction itself doesn't matter. Maybe it'll swing around in a few decades time.
The reason you think it's getting WORSE is that you hate change in general. Again, the direction doesn't matter. That logo could be slowly getting more elaborate and detailed, and you would have the exact same emotional response.

so fucking comfy, i wanna go back to XP days bros

>XP days
found the zoomer

You can never go back.

(yes, it hurts me too)

Attached: these_times_are_gone.jpg (1024x675, 275K)

Zoomers were literally just popping out the womb when XP came out.

My favourite style of computer never actually existed. It's the ones from Terry Gilliam's Brazil, that looked like mechanical typewriters covered in wires. The screens were tiny and monochrome, and had a Fresnel lens in front of them to make them sort of readable.
Overall, it looks like a computer designed by some kind of time traveller who had maybe seen a computer once, or had them described to him. It's amazing, and I want one.

Attached: Brazil.jpg (800x528, 66K)

Brendan you should stop and pay your pajeets

So has googles chrome. Example here.

Attached: Desktop.jpg (1280x1024, 442K)

middle is objectively best; not overdesigned, not underdesigned, juuuuust right

Seeing the old logo just reminds me of how many pieces of software have their best days behind them.

>1280x1024
>mIRC
This is old enough to feel like some kind of vengeful ghost.
>Steam logo has actually become more elaborate over time
Mind blown.

Steam used to look ghetto as fuck. I actually kind of miss the old military khaki design.

Attached: Desktop.jpg (1280x1024, 315K)

Now that's what I call good design.

Attached: 1524892835450.png (1500x2121, 2.62M)

fuckk. ignoring the animeshit this brings back memories. Now those were the days you were actually excited about a new Windows coming out.

those icons are terrible for smaller displays

>Will icons just be single color squares in a few years?
They already are
github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/papirus-icon-theme
>behind every bad ui decision there is a freetard

Attached: preview.png (640x440, 97K)

I think the latest Firefox icon redesign isn't that bad, it's pretty good actually compared to what other retards are doing, at least there is some detail there (although it would be nice if it was a little desaturated and more balanced)
Compared to the old iOS and Mac OS X icons these are trash
But compared to the latest trends in freetard-land (gnome, papirus, etc) these are highly detailed, aesthetic icons
Compared to Tango icons or Elementary icons these are bland and boring
But at least they have shape and they are not trash like papirus
This is beautiful, people put so much effort to have good graphics despite the technology not being there and now that the technology is there in spades "people" put out fucking atrocious designs that waste cpu and gpu cycles and battery on gaudy gay trasnparencies
What the fuck were they thinking? This sit is ugly as sin, Windows 3.11 had a better logo
Beautiful! Tango is the peak icon design ever, even including proprietary icons. Amazing!
Beautiful logo!

Attached: tango_prev.gif (644x566, 84K)

Attached: What the fuck steam.jpg (1280x1024, 191K)

Attached: $10,00000 design.jpg (521x535, 17K)

IS THAT A FUCKING NIPPLE?

Seeing the old Steam design made me realise just how many things I remember are no longer present, or current, or in many cases even remembered.

My youth continues to sink further and further in to the past, and more and more from that time becomes nothing besides a curiosity. It's been 10 years since GeoCities closed over here, and even the Japanese version is going down at the end of March.

>Why does ui continue to devolve?
LGBTQIKDFHAE rights
>normalize faggotry
>fags can get married
>fags stop repressing their degeneracy
>fags get into coding and ux design
>fags get flamboyant and give ui aids

Sorry for the polemic post but there is definitely a correlation between over-saturated gradient-less design and gay pride parades becoming accepted and technology companies promoting them and taking part in them

Cry me a river. PC gaming was a fucking state at that point in time.

Phone phaggots. Everybody wants a simple, recognisable icon that looks good on a phone-sized screen. Desktop is less relevant than it's ever been.

>Desktop is less relevant than it's ever been.
But if there isn't a desktop were will the phone apps and web sites be developed?

>new good
>old bad
Pic related wants a word with you

Attached: sv35iconmail.png (1152x900, 16K)

They'll still exist, just be culturally irreverent.

I am still on 56.0.2 because they killed off Session Manager plugin support in later versions

I'll literally never upgrade and at some point will completely uninstall firefox for being such faggots

With Chrome stopping support for adblockers and script blocking managers I'll ditch those fuckwits too like like rotten meat

Attached: data_poker_face.jpg (500x478, 21K)

And you'll use...?

I've wondered this too. Stuff looked good 10 years ago (Windows, iOS, etc.) Now everything looks and works like shit. It's probably all the fucking street-shitters the big boys hired to replace sensible white folk, but I'll blame the Jews anyway.

Well, pic related looks like shit so...

It's probably also developers just fucking around and thinking "we'll fix it later" and "resources are cheap."

>not being so minimal that you don't even exist

>not being so minimal that you don't even exist
at last I truly see

Attached: urielwasright.png (820x1172, 26K)

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

I thought that was the point. It's from 2009 apparently.

4chans official ff icon

Attached: download_3.png (894x894, 206K)

kek

This

Attached: firefoxhasfrozen.jpg (750x600, 94K)

People in general like what they're familiar with and don't like it when it's changed to something unfamiliar. I'm annoyed if a program I often use changes its UI because I've become comfortable with how it is and see no benefit to the new UI - unless the UI actually improves on something, but usually it's just refreshing icons and possibly swapping a few buttons just to annoy the shit out of you.

I made mine

Attached: firecucks.png (390x386, 18K)

>Having and icons on your system at all

$mod+d - fi - enter

>thing works
>diversity dept: let's change it
>everybody: new version sucks, stop changing things
>diversity dept: this proves that we have a toxic community and sexist culture
>rate of change increases
Politics driven development

The amount of ponies that shows up when searching for "firefox logo" is a bit distressing. I could understand one or two, but there's like five different ones.

Same thing with KDE 3 and GNOME 2. People were fine with it. It feels like all development now is just a fucking game to programmers.

>Put uneducated pajeets and clueless art student interns in charge of software development
>Expect things to not slowly degrade over time

Attached: ANIMEPICTURES.NET_705011920x1200spiceandwolfhorohighreswideimagetailcloseup.png (1920x1200, 318K)

I miss Lolifox

Attached: 1533776734742.jpg (995x753, 105K)

>unironically blaming "diversity" for UI changes

Attached: ibetthejewsdidthis.png (753x457, 70K)

Symbolism for the decay of tech and society

oh shit

The fox turning more red symbolizes global warming
>but global warming ain't real
just like firefox's market share

It's genius!

>Shaming people for not being retarded

Attached: 1541545252298.jpg (1080x1344, 865K)

Semiotics is semiotics. As long as the text the icons never goes I'm happy.

The colors make it easier to recognize symbols and improve the UX.

Papirus looks pretty good tho.

>Papirus looks pretty good tho
No it doesn't, it's awful
Compare the default Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, Gimp icon to the papirus ones
Papirus is ugly
Especially the Firefox papirus icon, what the fuck is this red?

Graphics designers are retards.
What are you? Some kind of autists, who can't use computers without bright colors?

i made the google chrome icon in paint

Attached: 1522595026277.png (615x601, 26K)

>study design for 10 years
>study people’s behaviors at the computer
>study scientific papers describing human reactions to certain patterns, shapes and colors
>make experiments yourself and test your projects on real people
>some neckbeard from 4chin will come and say that he doesn’t like the logo and the icons are “stupid” and he just likes monospace fonts with no antialiasing because they are “cool, hacker-y and comfy”

brilliant, submit it in papirus project

>study design for 10 years
>study people’s behaviors at the computer
>study scientific papers describing human reactions to certain patterns, shapes and colors
>make experiments yourself and test your projects on real people
a bunch of bullshit and meme degrees and pseudoscience

yeah but people are stupid, I wouldn't count on them for their opinion.

the firefox one might not be my favorite, but the steam, vlc, gmail, hangouts, and telegram, among others, look pretty good. i'm just a fan of that design language in general.