What NAS is best for me to host a plex or emby server on?

synology.com/en-uk/products/compare/DS218/DS218 /DS218play/DS718

Attached: getPhoto.png (350x210, 21K)

make your own

Synology is gay

This, or buy a Microserver Gen8, upgrade it with a Xeon E3-1265L v2 and install Debian on a microSD card and use it as system disk + HDD RAID5 in the 4 bays with mdadm

Why is it gay?

>This, or buy a Micr
This is still expensive as tits

OP did not specify whether he was a poorfag or not.
Are tits expensive?
t. 25 y/o virgin

Not poor, but dont think i need a server, i just want something small and out the way

Oh shit didn't realize you were OP.
I have the exact setup I described and it's amazing. Wasn't exactly cheap but it's very silent, pretty small and consumes 45W on average (about 90W while transcoding with plex). It has a pretty good power for other things too. But if your only use is plex then I guess a small Synology will do, but it'll probably be too weak if it requires transcoding (I assume it coudle handle two simulataneous 1080p transcodes at best)

oh damn, you think the synolgy will be that weak? :(

Okay i just found out about sonarr, i want a server now, link me some?

Synology will definitely be weak for multiple transcoding, you'll need a Xeon at least for that and a lot of RAM.

/Thread

>Wanting real time transcoding
How retarded are you. Just buy literally any computer with a gigabit Ethernet jack, plug it into a router, and use your TV over 5ghz wifi. It's that fucking simple.

Also use WinNFSd instead of SMB or UPnP

>What are subtitles

emby? you must mean jellyfin, emby devs are shit-tier, untalented and sleazy, as emby is now closed source

... External files that are loaded by your media player. How retarded are you?

>What are PGS subs
Also, not all players natively support all subtitles formats. Hell, even simple SRTs. How retarded are you?

>Not all players use SRT
Right, so instead of using software that isn't unusable trash the solution is to buy a $1k server to perform real time transcoding while wirelessly streaming.

Fuck you.

>Fuck you.

Attached: 1536317949047.jpg (640x480, 115K)

So what is a good small form server?

One you build yourself dummy. Buy a small case that can fit the storage you want, a cheap CPU and RAM to run Windows or Linux, then create network shares using NFS and ensure that you have a fast LAN. It's that simple. Kodi can read NFS shares and even stream 4K UHD remuxes

Need jellyfin thread?