Why do so many linux distros cling to the command line?

Why do so many linux distros cling to the command line?
You should be able to do everything you can do in CMD in a GUI enviroment.
why even bother with graphics if you're going to type into your gay little black window?

Attached: g6eXvytqsXJyMkyFyPL2ED.jpg (779x438, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tecmint.com/explanation-of-everything-is-a-file-and-types-of-files-in-linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because autists thinks it makes them cool to have more control.

It is usually way easier to troubleshoot in a cli and have more flexibility than with a GUI.

You can if you're not a complete retard

A CLI is muuuucch faster (in most cases), at the expense of ease-of-use (in most cases).
Linux distros have a GUI because there's some things (i.e. word processing, gaming, etc.) that are basically impossible with a CLI.

Attached: E4neyz1[1].png (1122x249, 59K)

Not even Windows can do everything in the GUI environment.

but I can't remove windows explorer

hey fuck you
my window is blue

>why even bother with graphics if you're going to type into your gay little black window?
in your misguided worship of gui you have inadvertently stumbled onto the correct solution and the way of truth

The main benefit of a CLI isn't speed though. Any semi-competent operator can work his way through a well-designed GUI in a fast and efficient manner. And a well designed GUI can easily be as flexible as a CLI.

The actual benefits, which you don't get from a GUI are determinism, reproducibility, and the ability to share ingredients and recipes.

>Why do so many linux distros cling to the command line?
Here is the exact reason
Windows used to be based on DOS. Windows was a GUI that was executed through the DOS system and interacted directly with DOS. XP changed all that, and by the time of windows 7 the GUI had actually become part of the operating system.
Compare that to how Linux works.
In linux, everything can be found in files. Everything from the code used to run the terminal to the mouse driver can be separated from the operating system and reworked and them reattached to the operating system.
If you try to affect these files by configuring them with a gui it is far less efficient than opening an editor, reading the code, and making alterations. Try that with a GUI and you dont know what changes the gui is making.

These differences is why linux is used on 100% of the worlds supecomputers and around 90% of the worlds servers.

Linux is a server operating system with the GUI bolted onto it. Windows is a GUI that acts as an operating system. It is far too bloated to be taken seriously as a server OS

>black window

it is supposed to be white background and black text, dunno why modern users demand the black screen white text

Mine is red with pink text

notOP but recent linux transitioner here, I like how what you said lets me update stuff most of the time without ever having to restart the computer.

The default install option for the standard Windows Server 2019 edition is for an install without a GUI.

KDE is refined enough to let you avoid touching the shell any more than you'd have to on a mac or a windows machine.

Text files for configs are based
>click through all that shit for hours
vs
>copy a file

i use black backround with green text because i use kali like the hackerman i am

>Just for the Wintard.

Imagine the command-line as a desktop-assistant like Cortana, with the difference that you have to type in predefined commands instead of using voice recognition. (And that it actually works)

Nice cope wintard

that is why KDE fucks up so often

>he doesn't use cmd on windows
>he doesn't use powershell on windows
>he uses the ui for everything
Command line is good on every OS
If you don't see what's good about the command line you shouldn't be on Jow Forums

tecmint.com/explanation-of-everything-is-a-file-and-types-of-files-in-linux/

You may like reading that

I think he's talking about speed in the sense of CPU time.

So basically because every individual thing is separated from each other it's why updating one thing doesn't make you have to restart everything?

Attached: Untitled.png (800x600, 55K)

>You should be able to do everything you can do in CMD in a GUI environment
There are shell utilities with literally dozens of sub-commands and each of those sub-commands has its own set of switches. Things like web browsing, word processing, gaming, etc. are usually better left to a GUI, but not everything needs a GUI.

I don't know about everything.

lol ubuntu, manjaro, and fedora exist for a reason
for normies who dont understand that seeing everything printed out in text informs them of more than seeing a little spinning wheel. GUI brainlets will never know exactly what is loading when they see that little spinning wheel.

You can't do that on Windows though...

does it fucking matter? whatever is loading will load and then you will see what it is.

>There are shell utilities with literally dozens of sub-commands and each of those sub-commands has its own set of switches
>not everything needs a GUI.
If only someone had told KDE this simple fact

lol, imagine letting a spinner hide whats being loaded
okay
so
say you are loading your game, because I know you are a /v/fag, since you use windows
something loads wrong but the game is able to proceed. the game will just proceed. it will not tell you what loaded wrong. and then you get in game, and something is bad. textures are loading, lets go with that example. since you decided a little loader would be better than the exact chain of events during the loading sequence, you dont know what went wrong.
and then oh boy, its off to google to look up answers that MAY or MAY NOT work, and you'll never know what was wrong with it.

I'd just like to interject for a moment....

Blame Windows for that though
On GNU/Linux when you launch a program that prints to console on a GUI it doesn't spawn a terminal
On fucking Windows when you launch a program that print to console it SPAWNS a cmd window AUTOMATICALLY
Now you have your application and a terminal window that if the noob user accidentally closes it closes the application too
What Microsoft suggests and application programmers do? Simple, they disable the console output
Congrats stupid Microsoft! You just destroyed the easiest way to debug any problem! Stupid pricks!
Now users have to rely on searching their problem online and not knowing if the solution will work because they don't know the exact problem
Fucking Windows

>oh I want
>spend 15 minutes clicking through menu hell until you find a 4px footnote to do it, which you didn't even realize was clickable

>oh I want to do
>type into terminal

No wonder why...

Try managing hundreds of windows servers with only GUI.
Even hardcore windows admins use Powershell daily.