Should you bother learning 2.7?

Learning Python. I am aware of the differences between versions. Should anyone new bother spending time on 2.7 at this point? Or just concentrate on 3.6?

Attached: python.jpg (1440x900, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/
docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.14.1/neps/dropping-python2.7-proposal.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The differences are trivial anyways, it's not like there's a significant time investment to cognitively switch between the two

whats the matter codelets
backwards compatibility not a core component of your language's spec huh

bending over backwards for backwards compatibility is not a good thing
I fucking wish C++ compilers locked people out of doing stuff that really shouldn’t be done anymore

I've actually been going back and forth btw the two versions and I just wanted to make sure I am not wasting my time.

This is what I began to think. I figure I should be able to just google any syntax issues quickly.

it's literally end of life

I don't know anyone who uses something else than 2.7. >3 is a pain in the ass to do anything in, 3x more verbose and slower than 2.7. Every package works with 2.7, not all work with 3+. You can import the 2 features >3 gets right by `from future import XXX` in 2.7 anyway.

>Should anyone new bother spending time on 2.7 at this point?
No, its being discontinued in 2020. The only reason to use 2.7 is for compatibility reasons in legacy applications.

Support for 2.7 ends next year, and pip support will be dropped soon after as well. After that point, no one is going to maintain 2.7 compatibility with their libraries.

You could've just typed that into google, you silly little fuck.

learn 3.x but also learn string formatting from 2.7

Impossible. The sheer amount of business-critical 2.7-only programs (especially in the realm of data """science""", analytics, bioinformatics, and other sciences) that will never be ported guarantees 2.7 is going nowhere. Maybe if they spent more than 0.5 seconds writing a literal 2 sed expression script named 2to3 this wouldn't have been like that.

Nope its going, even Numpy is dropping it now.
python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/
docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-1.14.1/neps/dropping-python2.7-proposal.html
They have been warning developers for over half a decade now to switch.

This. I have no idea why more people aren't saying this. It's literally obsolete. Why don't you also learn some ActionScript while you're at it?

>Nope its going, even Numpy is dropping it now.
They've been saying that
>for over half a decade now
And numpy is not the kind of software I'm talking about. Just because all you know of python is what meme journalists are telling you doesn't mean that's the whole picture, or even remotely realistic.

>And numpy is not the kind of software I'm talking about. Just because all you know of python is what meme journalists are telling you doesn't mean that's the whole picture, or even remotely realistic.
That you didn't even know it was EOL speaks volumes for how informed you are.

Forget about python2's existence

>that I can build strawmen to try to run away from my bombastic defeat speaks volume about how good I am at moving goalposts
Genyoos.

Just repeating what the others are saying. Don't, the EOL is coming soon and this time it's not a joke.

>20 posts
>12 IPs
(((who)))?

Please don't arrest me

Attached: you.png (313x191, 9K)

python 3 is better OP

Attached: tryagain.png (454x217, 16K)

It's not a strawman. Your arguing that a tech stack (presumably one you work on) is entirely dependent on 2.7, but you are also in denial that 2.7 is EOL. Anyone still maintaining a 2.7 stack should be well aware and mad preparations years in advance, failing to do so is inexcusable ineptitude.

done

Attached: Capture.jpg (426x217, 13K)

there's still tons of legacy 2.x-only software that still works and wasn't maintained for quite some time

And it will (probably) continue to work, there just won't new security and bug fixes for 2.7 going forward.

Is there a lot of major changes from 2 to 3 that it would fail. Disclaimer I don't know much of the difference between the two

Not that there really are any in any python release anyway, all new python minor releases bring are incompatibilities because *special snowflaeks XD* but that's about it.

It's all a bunch of very subtle but numerous changes, from how everything is now a generator instead of a transformer, the way package name resolution works, basic arithmetics, and syntactic elements and restrictions of all kinds. For example how tabs and spaces are parsed changed in 3+.

lots of changes for python embedded into an application, much less for native python software

>2.7 or 3.6

Don't bother with 2.* unless you have to deal with legacy code.

This, also considering most of the stuff C++ gets shit on is because of backwards compatibility with C.

I only use 2.7 and continue to do so even after they stop providing support

python 3 is ugly and it is even slower in some cases which is ridiculous

You got me.

Attached: 1523026184334.png (487x232, 16K)