So, what OS do you use and why?

So, what OS do you use and why?
/friendly os general/

Attached: y00qsa5jafg21.jpg (960x825, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wololo.net/2017/03/09/hackers-know-nintendo-switch-far/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Void

On desktop:
Win10 + Fedora
On netbook:
Win7 + gonna install Arch

Arch and macOS. Arch for normal computing, macOS for work.

Kubuntu on lappy => customizable, bash, quick to install, werks
Win10 on desky => gaymes, and sometimes the odd windows only program.

>Kubuntu
Just say Ubuntu.

poor apu/and/or/ralph want a valentine

Parrot OS, windows, mac on my laptop
Win10 ltsc desktop for games
Currently hackintoshing an aio for audio/video production

>games

Attached: soyboy.jpg (750x1000, 72K)

Also using debian for my home server

Slackware + Win10 LTSC

smallpinus/virginity/systemd/arch i3-gap-Z on thinkpad 420 for procrastination and learning webdev in solitude

another box with windows server 2012 r2 converted to less-bloated windong 8.1 desktop variant for graphic design and web dev (running centos virtual machines as headless servers), incl. some hacky implementations of fuse/sshfs in explorer and posix tools for windows being able to talk to linux

Hyperbola Linux, for muh FSF approved free software only needs

Desktop with Windows 10 for games.

Laptop with Deepin for everything else.

It's been a long way, started using Linux when Ubuntu 09.04 came out, bought a magazine with the installer, I was 14 yrs old and fucking loved how fast it was, but had compatibility issues and after a year moved back to Windows. Went through Arch, Debian, Mint, Zorin, Gentoo, OpenSuse, and who knows how many stupid pseudo-distros (like PearOS and MoeOS), four years ago I adopted Linux Mint for good, last year I changed to Deepin because I was sick of having to configure a lot of stuff in every operating system after formatting. Deepin turned out to be extremely easy to use, configuring the system doesn't take more than 3 clicks in most of the cases, it just feels like a terminated product, I like it. Its main issues are drivers, which you can't install manually, and a little outdated store packages.

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20190214020323.png (1366x768, 662K)

Win 8

Mint because it's stable and works perfectly with my hardware and I occasionally use a Windows XP virtual machine to run legacy Windows software that I need.

I'm using Ubuntu while I build my own OS.

All the operating systems are infected with faggotry right now and I need to break free.

Arch GNU/Linux

btw I use Arch

nice apu

Fedora or mint? The name of fedora makes me really not want to use it but it looks great for my x220 and maybe even a desktop or replacement in a few years

Arch because I'm a NEET

window 7 on my desktop to play gaymes, arch on everything else. I hade win10 but am stuck to this shitty OS because the Linux alternatives for some programs just don't even come close, but for programming and university Arch + i3 is peak comfyness

>GNU/Linux
>Using proprietary components in your OS

Try Parabola or Hyperbola, memer

a riced LTSC on my main and Void on my Satellite A300
also AlphaBetas in a VM for the sake of fiddling with NT-era programs

ubuntu, literally just werks

Windows 7

Attached: download20190203110759.png (600x600, 117K)

please explain why macos for work?

>wanting to use anyone else's code at all

Windows 10 and will be VMing GuixSD while I buy an SSD

Is GuixSD good for programming C? Is it comfy?

MacOS. I was sceptical and many things are indeed infuriating but for a journalist its the best toolbox.

Maybe he does some art or use professional software.
I'd personally use Windows along Arch though.

I use Archmerge i3wm on this pc, it's been one year now, it just works
I use Archlabs i3wm on my thinkpad, it just works
It's comfy.
They are in dualboot with windows, but I don't use it.

Attached: 1537645323297.jpg (1174x1080, 243K)

arch on my desktop
gentoo on my x220

Kubuntu is riddled with bug, get KDE Neon, same shit but KDE is better applied.

>pc
Windows 10
>laptop
Chrome OS
>phone
Android

The most abandoned, desolate, forgotten version of HP-UX (early pre-Cambrian ed.) ever conceived.

Gentoo, Debian, Arch, Fedora, et al. It depends on the host machine's role and hardware. I prefer rolling release over NextBigThing v20.4

Windows whatever for work. We finally phased out the last of the windows 2k machines about a month ago. We are audited by our customers and they were not impressed with the extreme retro-computing freak show we had going on in there. It was the ultimate in hot runny messes.

80% of my waking hours are spent sitting in front of an mid 80's era HP-UX machine. It is the ultimate in forced dead end coffee stained retro-computing minimalism under fluorescent lighting for too little pay. OEM keyboard is most fucked up layout of any keyboard I've ever seen. Switch keyboard you say? I wish I had a picture of the adapter that the mouse and KB plug into. It was designed by phoenicians back in 341 BC, as was the rest of the system. Mine is one of the good ones. When you click on something, it only takes five seconds for the click to register. Security and encryption are non-existent. HP-UX and me are raw dog on free hooker night, all night every night.

all 3 botnets
good boy

fedora. i actually like gnome and fedora is a very well maintained, cutting edge distro with sane defaults. also, i'm wearing the red hat since rh 7.2.

Windows 10 pro because muh gaymes.
will you switch once MS stops supporting it?

Windows 10 LTSC, couldn't have wanted more.
Once I get a fan for my VPC-Z1 and repair the laptop I will be putting either Arch, Gentoo, Void or Source Mage, if I don't go crazy and put Linux From Scratch. But will probably put Arch.

I'm using lubuntu w/ zfs root, trying to phase out my Windows partition.
Waiting on zen 2 for a serious upgrade towards running VMs with GPU pass-through.

Why would I care about support?
until 2025 i see no problems optimizing things

If you use Windows for work and games, why use GNU Linux at all? Just use Windows if it has all you want.

Ubuntu minimal on desktop (odroid xu4, too lazy to setup arch)
I distrohop every few days laptop

Anything not windows is autistic.

>Desktops/Laptops
OpenSuse Tumbleweed at home and work
>Servers
CentOS on all but one machine that is still running Debian but I'm too lazy to migrate the services so it will keep running Debian for the time being
>NAS
FreeNAS
>router
Pfsense
>telephone
Android
>Nintendo
FreeBSD

W7 + Ubuntu 18.04 on desktop
W7 + Xubuntu 18.04 on laptop

I have enough shit in my life already to also add complex OS.

I would probably prefer macos over windows
atleast makes more sense
from what it seems to be to me then

>nintendo
>freebsd
what the duck?

why don't you at least use something arch based if you're too lazy for arch?

if ubuntu and windows works for you theres 0 wrong with it and you have 0 reason to use something complex.

My lappy triple boot mint/osx/winshit.

win10 because split the bill on laptop with sis
wanted to instal ubuntu but dumb slut didn't even want to hear about it

Attached: 1474570782893.jpg (480x480, 19K)

how old are you wtf get your own hardware
>dumb slut
dude you're the bitch here
>being bossed by sis while you own the laptop equally as much

I know, right? Once I'm in, I'm in for all.

Read the licensing info on the console, it explicitly mentions FreeBSD. This has been known since it came out:
wololo.net/2017/03/09/hackers-know-nintendo-switch-far/

Gentoo on desktop. Justwerks.
Android on smartphone. Because what else?

Windows on game console PC. Increasingly optional, but why not have it - it's not necessarily bothersome to the degree that you can't play video games on it.

I'm running W7 on my desktop because I don't feel like backing everything up and installing Linux, I'll just run it on my new desktop when I build that.
On my laptop I'm running Arch because I like Arch. Though I am considering switching to Artiix or Void.

>because I don't feel like backing everything up
if the stuff doesn't matter to you anyway you could just switch

Manjaro KDE because I wanted to try AUR without the hassle of Arch. And I fell to thumbnail filepicker meme. Turns out KDE filepicker isn't that much better than gtk.

>He doesn't have a hobby

I know man.
Some people here get triggered because they think we all have the same neeeds.

>gaymen desktops
Windows 10 ent
>tonkpad
Jow Forumsentoo (I like gentoo things like portage, openrc etc)
>VPS
Debian stable
>Cubieboard dedicated to run pihole
Ubuntu 16.04, special cubieboard build
>laptop used for torrent box
Devuan ascii

Windows 10 education on my laptop

Windows 10.

Didn't expect such a high quality post in this thread, that was funny
Tell us more user

Microsoft Windows 10
Google Android 7.1.1

Solus OS, join me fren

Attached: 42B50865AD794BC1ABCCD543EA431E12.gif (840x488, 511K)

FreeBSD for network stuff
Linux (mostly CentOS) for my servers
Windows10 for gaymen
macOS for work/side project dev/shitposting/everything else

Programming. I could use GNU, I guess, but my company gave me the Mac.
>I'd personally use Windows
I could never use a non-POSIX OS. It would be hell.

Currently using Fedora Xfce on laptop and Ubuntu in my server

Go with Fedora. It's pretty up to date and stable. Has most packages and anything you need can be found in either the fusion or copr repos. Mint us a Frankensteined version of Ubuntu. If you like mint then go with Ubuntu and install cinnamon

Attached: 1493206559164.png (408x368, 96K)

manjaro on desktop
and arch on laptop

Just works for everything I do

>how old are you wtf get your own hardware
19 but still in education, only money I get is 50$ stipend for food and clothes, I manage to save some here and there but I'm by all means a poorfag
>dude you're the bitch here
she is whole-heartedly certain ubuntu is going to fuck up laptop
>being bossed by sis while you own the laptop equally as much
we got it a year ago when she was aspiring to enter college at 22 (turns out when you spend every other night out sucking dicks and drinking vodka you don't end up passing tests)

Windows 10 - Gaming (once ArmA 3 has an official Linux release I'm uninstalling), forced to use Microsoft Office at work.
GNU/Linux (Arch Linux) - video encoding/editing, illustration, image manipulation, music production, programming, IRC, web browsing, email
Android - Calls and texting, work email

dude, you can get a perfectly serviceable old thinkpad off ebay for $100

wtf I love your sister now

you sound like a manchild user

>pc
Windows 10 ltsc
>laptop
arch
>phone
microg lineage os

If she sucks my dick I'll buy you a laptop