I woke up this morning, my Void box was whirring happily. I used it a bit, just to tell it good morning...

I woke up this morning, my Void box was whirring happily. I used it a bit, just to tell it good morning. The Void laptop was sleeping in the living room, didn't want to disturb him, he works really hard. Then I visited Jow Forums and to my surprise I did not see a Void thread. Well, I am rectifying that situation right now.

enter the void

Attached: d5a7ffba3ccc8575a4fb53080d876c5c.png (250x206, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

voidlinux.org/packages/
wiki.voidlinux.org/Installation_via_chroot
web.archive.org/web/20180226140305/https://www.dotslashlinux.com/post/best-lightweight-gnu-linux-distros/
mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/current/x86_64-repodata'
alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-repodata.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does it have steam?

Yes, in the repos, and it works flawlessly.

Based Voidposter

Does it have timeshift?

Yes

>wake up and immediately get on the computer
good god man

Good thread, user, but we don't need a daily void thread when there's

Attached: 1549127618743.gif (84x84, 5K)

What else do you do when you wake up?

as opposed to?

We are the Void.
Resistance is futile.

Attached: void2.jpg (1200x1200, 271K)

Put /vlg/ in the OP next time or something

What browser are you using?

Damn, it doesn't have QGIS. For anyone curious about which packages it has: voidlinux.org/packages/

Eat breakfast, shower, go to school/work I'm assuming

>eat breakfast
na, i just make a coffee
>shower
in the morning?
>go to school/work I'm assuming
why do you think i go on the computer? you don't work at home on your computer?

Void helped me learn how completely worthless Arch actually is.

>na, i just make a coffee
A cup of coffee can be a breakfast though
>in the morning?
Yes..?
>you don't work at home
No
>on your computer
No

You're at starbucks and this guy slaps void linux on your gf's macbook air. What do?

Attached: 1528992439736.jpg (2448x3264, 2.11M)

I thank him kindly.

Gross

>those arms
I'm never gonna make it

lmao @ that chest hair

>install void in a vm to give it a poke
>xbps-remove wifi-firmware
>breaks 'base-system'
uh, why is wifi support considered critical?
>xbps-remove linux-firmware-nvidia
>breaks 'linux'
why is it even a separate package, then?
>xbps-remove void-artwork
>breaks 'base-system'
is this serious? as far as i can tell, there's nothing that can even display this artwork in the base system

>Enter the unoccupied desolate
emptiness, the void, slowly.
Not really my thing, borrowing like that.
It's, presumptuous.

Attached: Fallen Angel – Michael Keller.jpg (1733x2310, 1.13M)

you can setup void without installing base system. all you need is the root filesystem from the downloads page and then download whatever kernel you want. Its pretty much the way to go so you don't have deal with those dependencies.

xbps allows you to mark and unmark packages you want to keep. You can mark linux or whatever as manual, and then it will never be removed.

But best to do what said.

i don't like the idea of removing a distros' base metapackage, since then i miss out on important changes in the most basic packages

Is there any sane way of doing this without knowing the ins and outs of every single package? The installer is super comfy, but a little bit bloated.

I use this method for the most part. Simply installing the root filesystem and running xbps-install -Su will give you all the neccessary base packages. All without installing base-system.

wiki.voidlinux.org/Installation_via_chroot

How is void better than arch?

Thanks user. This, along with getting rid of the initramfs (compiling my own kernel with all the device drivers I need) is what I'll have to do.
I'm reading the installer script right now to get an idea of what I need to do after the chroot installation. A shame they didn't make it less bloated in the first place.

>musl
>no systemdicks
>no pacman stupidity
>xbps-src is just a better version of the AUR
>sensible binary repo unlike arch

Musl is only better if you don’t care about some programs not working because they depend on glibc-specific quirks.

To be fair the base install is very very small, only the essential utilities, really.

>210M worth of firmwares
>only essentials

void is better version of arch but still shit and way below gentoo.

Arch is literally bloated as hell, not even memeing

no shit, if that's isn't basically the reason you're using it, you're doing it wrong

Why are voidniggers so prominent? No other "obscure" distro has this much of a following.

void takes way too long to boot because it doesn't have systemd.

I think the dude who makes these threads is trying to shill void so hard that Jow Forums will hate it out of pure contrarianism.

ugh, finally figured out dracut
gotta use "--fstab" when using a chroot, otherwise it does... something. not sure why not doing that gives me an error that suggests the kernel can't decompress the initrd
what a cunt
fucking fast when it does work though, dang

Attached: 2019-02-15-002045_1017x757_screencap.webm (1017x757, 216K)

>obscure
Maybe in 2017. Now it's pretty well known, these threads shouldn't be here daily though.

damn that's lightning fast.

>No
That's too bad.

now with gummiboot instead of grub

Attached: 2019-02-15-005110_1021x765_screencap.webm (1021x765, 371K)

does it have a binary repo for mesa git, radv git, and llvm?

i don't normally use a DM, but it does make the boot look more substantial, like it is actually doing something

this is the glibc version btw, not the potentially-faster musl one

Attached: 2019-02-15-010700_1022x765_screencap.webm (1022x765, 581K)

Probably. You can check here.
voidlinux.org/packages/

Not bad at all. I'm DMless, but I might consider slim, it looks pretty good.

Fine, I'll stop. You have my word. All you had to do was ask. I admit I make a lot of the void threads.

systemd-boot is a pretty cool guy, yup

>inb4 omg it IS systemd, bloat, kill it with fire

i'm aware gummiboot and systemd-boot are the same thing

Maybe just decrease it to once a week; I don’t think anyone would be annoyed by that. I see a new Void thread every day or two.

So you shower in the night AND morning?

Usually only in the morning. Why?

Its not one guy making these threads. I also make void threads.

Every single person that points to arch does it because it's "minimal"
So, that's nowhere near the reason most people use arch.

I'll give Void a try once it gets a more aesthetic logo.

most people are idiots, then
i've been using arch since 2012, and the reason is pretty much because it just werks, and it just werks because packages ship with everything enabled/included
it's the laziest distro

You don't...?

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: 4.png (731x218, 20K)

Arch's GCC doesn't include gcc-offload-nvptx support, when even Ubuntu does.

>archlinux,org
>A simple, lightweight distribution
>You've reached the website for Arch Linux, a lightweight and flexible Linux® distribution that tries to Keep It Simple.

Simple yes, lightweight no.

old news.

>old news
>literally the newest news article on the site

Doesn't seem like your opinion matches with the devs

Attached: Untitled.png (823x85, 5K)

The devs can say whatever they want,
but a distro is certainly not lightweight when you're forced to install binaries+libs+headers of a package's every dependency.

that's right, it doesn't

>custom order sheet of void stickers so I can have one for each lappy
>eyeball it with creased envelope for centering
>after I put it on, realise it's ~5mm (visibly) off-center
>mfw my face has entered the void

void wont boot after i install it on a t440p, halp pls

True, they can, maybe once it was, not sure how arch was years ago, but that's the image of arch nowadays.

Attached: Untitled.png (689x87, 4K)

The domain changed months ago. They've posted about this before. They're obviously just reposting it to remind people. Fuck them for keeping the community up to date, right?

It's been seen like that here since ages ago, I guess I would've found out if I actually tried it.

Attached: Arch_Comic_1.png (650x4377, 871K)

don't let Jow Forums be your only source of information on any subject

that’s disgusting. You sleep in your own filth. My bed is clean and I sleep well knowing I’m also clean.

You’re going to dry your skin out.

I've had trouble getting uefi to work with my old thinkpads.
>change boot options
>partition perfectly
>grub-install
>grub-setup
>"oh geez reading directions sure was eas--"
>select boot medium
Just use legacy boot

Do you change the sheets every time after having sex? Because if you don't, your bed isn't clean. So no, I I'm not really bothered that I don't shower before bed.

I didn't, but the sources I looked at all said the same.
web.archive.org/web/20180226140305/https://www.dotslashlinux.com/post/best-lightweight-gnu-linux-distros/

Attached: Ospicker.png (1559x1107, 265K)

>tfw I have void installed but void couldn't install grub for some reason and now I can't get to it

Attached: superthumb.jpg (300x250, 19K)

so dont use bios, i assume then my disk would have to be dos? and i would have to install grub to a 512mib mbr partition?
same problem.

do you wear shoes indoors as well?

just install it yourself then, ez

No? What is this, question hour?

no, it’s question day. What’s your stance on proprietary software.

Maybe it's the weather here?

It's not very difficult to wake up all sweaty, so shower in the morning is a need, and of course, when I arrive back home, same thing, so gotta shower again.

That's pretty common here as you can see on the chart, people shower here on an average of 14 times a week, like I said.

Attached: When-the-World-Washes.jpg (1090x3433, 1.17M)

For me, a shower is in order when I get up in the morning and also after I've finished any sort of activities beyond sitting at my computer for the day. Usually it'll be right after I get home from work but if I go out for dinner it will be after that - unless I got especially sweaty at work in which case it will be before dinner which sometimes leaves me in a state of being "food dirty" for bed but it's just something I live with because I don't want to take a third shower usually.

Yes, use bios boot if you're having problems.
On MBR you don't need a boot partition at all; gpt, you will require 1MiB boot partition. I use the former because it just werks™ but if you need to dual-boot or something, be warned you'll only have 4 partitions max.

see above
in theory installing grub is easy and everyone will tell you "works on my machine" in practive, you follow directions to a t and it won't do shit.
Hell, I tried to run a persistent iso that uses efi. Enabled uefi boot and everything but it still shat the bed when it works on like anything else.

2 showers a day is optimal. I work remotely, but still feel the need to shower before I start working. When I feel dirty, so does my code.

Does it depend on lots of systemd packages? Is it worth the autism, or should I just stick to grub?

They might as well rebrand. Especially if voidlinux.eu goes up with something malicious.

Devs themselves refute the "arch minimal" meme.
Arch simply does not have an installer. Arch packages are realy bloaty.

when people say arch packages are bloated so they mean size, functionality or number of dependencies pulled?

>Void Linux
>sex
Everyone ITT is a virgin, except you user. Once you Enter the Void, there's no going back.

arch packages bundle dependencies so you have a lower package count but everything is bigger, therefore bloated

>[*] Updating `mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/current/x86_64-repodata' ...
>mpd-0.21.4_3: broken, unresolvable shlib `libnfs.so.12'
>Transaction aborted due to unresolved shlibs.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1463924372391.gif (500x375, 953K)

Running Void on my T60 and also debating on using it on my main rig. Comfy stuff.
Try running a system update; that resolves the shlibs issue for me.

I don't know about that mirror user, but I'm using alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/current/x86_64-repodata.
It's not even giving me an update for mpd.
I did have a similar issue with IceCat a fews days ago and they fixed it later that day. I'd try another repo, if that doesn't work, just try to update it again later.

can update from this repo, but...
does not resolve the issue. I can wait I guess. rn I can't install anything w/out temporarily uninstalling mpd

That's odd. You should still be able to install and update other packages. Also, mpd should be working fine, it just won't update for now.