Riot.im v1.0.0 is out with a redesigned appearance:

Riot.im v1.0.0 is out with a redesigned appearance:
riot.im/app/

Why haven't you switched over from XMPP/Slack/Discord/Skype/Telegram/WhatsApp yet?

Attached: riot-im-logo-1.png (480x480, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Nheko-Reborn/nheko
medium.com/@RiotChat/the-big-1-0-68fa7c6050be
riot.im/app/
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html
fuckonthefirst.date
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I already use it. Is comfy and E2EE.

>Why haven't you switched over from XMPP/Slack/Discord/Skype/Telegram/WhatsApp yet?
Communication software that no one has is useless.

Is there a Jow Forums room?

That's solved by getting more people to use it.
For example, do you have anyone you want to talk with? If so, would you let them use inferior or proprietary solutions?

Did they fix group voice chat yet or is the UI for it still fucked?

open source electron programs are still fucking electron
NEXT

Call me when running my own server doesn't require 1000 times the resources of an XMPP one

Riot isn't targeted at people who prefer TUIs and such (there's e.g. weechat-matrix for that; even suports E2EE for text chat). However, fancy bloated clients are still quite relevant to a lot of other people who prefer them.
At least you have the choice here, since it's an open protocol. Most proprietary competitors are restricted to a single horrid Electron client.

xmpp is cuter

banter.city

XMPP, although interesting, has the unfortunate issue of a very minimal core protocol and difficulty of finding servers and clients that all support all the required extensions at once. Also, IIRC, there were some parts of it that were annoyingly difficult to implement.
For what it matters, running Synapse for a small server of just a few (dozen) users is quite viable on a cheap VPS. A better server is also in development.

I have. I've ran my own matrix synapse server for a year. Also work on the dendrite project casually.
Anyone who uses anything else is fucking retarded

There are plenty of other clients. Retard
It's federated. Fucking idiot.

yidifs is 100% compliant.

using it right now. the new appearance is really nice, way better than that greenish look.

>yidifs
Can't find it on Google. Link?

Can't even sign up

Literally worst communication protocol ever, can't believe Jow Forums falls for that dumb meme

yourdata.forsale

That's nice, I guess. If you can manage to get almost all federated servers and users to support all of that, it could be quite usable.
As far as I'm concerned, Matrix still has the advantage where these features are the standard all clients aim for and so are supported by nearly all users. Decent bridging to other networks also helps to make it less empty.

I honestly don't care which free and open source protocol becomes mainstream. Any one of them is better than Discord.

Matrix/Riot is a good contender, though. It has a lot of great features including true E2E encryptiong even for group chats.

Does it use C++ based ui? I guess no, they can gtfo

While they have recently made validation a bit easier, it's still n^2 manual interactions for n users in a room. Until cross-validation becomes a thing (or you don't have strict anti-impersonation requirements), it's less than ideal for huge rooms.
Still way better than absolutely no E2EE in the likes of Discord, Slack, etc.

github.com/Nheko-Reborn/nheko does, although it isn't as feature-complete.
Also, technically, Chromium is C++, so...

riot is the most feature complete of the clients, but there is a c++ client if you so prefer.

Well, Telegram works really well atm

Telegram has several glaring flaws:
- server is proprietary
- encryption is homebrew shite
- tied to your phone number
- no federation (also implied by first point)

where the fuck is my dark theme

>create account
>decentralized
ISHYGDDT

The important thing is to start using matrix and get others on board.

Whether or not you want to use riot is completely secondary, but it helps with normies.

Nheko is a great alternative desktop client and I'm sure you can find pure cli clients as well

> using a messaging service tied to your phone number

Right here. Did you forget to refresh the page or something?

>decentralized
No, federated. Different concept.
You can pretend it's decentralized by running your own single-user homeserver, though.

Pretty much, yeah. What client people use isn't even that relevant. Hell, as said, even the protocol isn't as important as getting rid of proprietary solutions is.

Attached: image.png (976x738, 59K)

the UI doesn't look nearly as broken and physically painful to look at/use anymore (fa/gd/ick here). thums up. although probably still less competent than discord, in terms of quality for electronshit program, but i'm too lazy to register on a riot server again to check things out.

most of my friends and I use matrix. good to finally see the riot redesign live, though it still hasn't landed on mobile

my complaints:
* riot is slow, bloated, buggy webshit
* riot is pretty much the only client that supports e2e encryption
* the js library is pretty much the only one that supports e2e encryption, so you can't write a bot in a proper language
* the jitsi videoconferencing plugin doesn't let you change your mic volume, so it's completely unusable
* e2e rooms don't support search

matrix is really awesome in theory because it has e2e and a ton of different clients, but in reality e2e is poorly supported and only one client is usable

it's still better than:
* xmpp - bad UX & if you have multiple clients (e.g. on your phone and computer) you'll only receive messages on whichever client you used last
* discord - no e2e
* signal - groupchats with ~10 people in them take ~a minute to deliver messages
* rocket.chat - mobile client doesn't support e2e
* tox - no sync between clients

In theory the E2E encryption stuff should get a lot better in the near future, because the french government requires every one of their employees to use it.
This should put some fire under the developers asses if they start getting complaints from them (which will be the case).

If we're going to move people on from discord let's just do it right the first time, and use XMPP.
The problem with matrix is the godawful federation implementation. I have had latencies of up to a day when I had my server

that's good. looks like they are forking riot themselves. hopefully their improvements make their way upstream

purism's matrix-powered librem 5 should bring some improvements too

Text chat only E2EE is supported in weechat-matrix, nheko and that one Mac native client. There are also megolm libs for other languages like C++.
E2EE room search would require it to be done client-side. That's going to be implemented (eventually).

"text chat only" is a pretty big limitation

yes, all these problems will be solved with time. I've been using matrix for about half a year and just today my first problem has finally been fixed (riot's horrendous interface)

Can someone post a picture of the current UI? Too lazy to install it and make an account again.

Only if you post your favorite hentai picture

medium.com/@RiotChat/the-big-1-0-68fa7c6050be has several screenshots

There's also an Emacs client, btw.

>Riot.im v1.0.0 is out with a redesigned appearance:
>riot.im/app/
>Why haven't you switched over from XMPP/Slack/Discord/Skype/Telegram/WhatsApp yet?
Because IRC works fine?

If you don't need E2EE, federation, offline messages and history, longer messages, richer formatting, media uploads, VoIP and normie-friendliness, then sure. IRC fills that niche adequately and it's unlikely to completely disappear.
On the other hand, Matrix can federate to IRC quite fine and is an acceptable client for it that way. matrix.org even hosts bridges for some notable networks (including Freenode and Rizon).

>If you don't need E2EE, federation, offline messages and history, longer messages, richer formatting, media uploads, VoIP and normie-friendliness, then sure. IRC fills that niche adequately and it's unlikely to completely disappear.
I can use otr
I can log stuff with my znc
I don't need longer messages? Any sane client just splits them up into multiple messages which works fine
I don't need richer formatting at all.
I use 0x0.st for media uploads.
I use mumble for voice chat.
IRC isn't hard and just werks(TM)

>everything is just sourgrapes or installing some extra thing
yeah that look so much better /s

Let me guess, you also follow suckless and cat-v and think that installing a million plugins and external programs is the epitome of the UNIX philosophy.

>>everything is just sourgrapes or installing some extra thing
>yeah that look so much better /s
Well it works for me, so I don't see much reason to use anything else, if you prefer riot.im that's fine.

I myself like IRC a lot because it's so bare and simple, if you don't then that's fine :3

>Let me guess, you also follow suckless and cat-v and think that installing a million plugins and external programs is the epitome of the UNIX philosophy.
I personally disagree with the suckless and cat-v guys.

I don't think that installing a million plugins and external programs is the epitome of the UNIX philosophy.

I just use IRC because it works for me,

Use whatever you want :3

That's fine. IRC is okay as far as things go, since there's no real lockin happening anywhere.
Also, netsplits.

A million plugins would be fine if everyone had them. The problem is that they don't (see: XMPP), so a federated multiuser chat service often has to settle on the lowest common denominator.
This is also the reason why Discord et al. are so successful. They offer a box with all the features which always work, so they get a lot of usage compared to solutions that are more complicated to set up with comparable functionaity.

Because the platform is fucking shit. Are there even any rooms that aren't a) dead b) filled with retarded politics/admin drama c) filled with retards? Someone fucking got a fucking aspie fit because someone else said he prefers rust over lisp and sperged out so hard it ended up on fucking death threats and suicide threats. Over a dude that said he fucking likes one language over another. Its full of mentally retarded people and drama whores, seriously.

Also fuck electron
Also fuck their slow ass protocol taking half a minute to join a room

Is there a Jow Forums room?

>electron
thank u, next

see

I wish this wasn't literally the only Matrix client that supports voice chat.

>Because IRC works fine?
ok gramps

How does voice chat even work with matrix? Is it just using matrix as a signaling channel for webrtc? Seems like you could just integrate it with mumble instead.

THE NEW UI IS GARBAGE IT IS DESIGNED FOR SMART PHONES

FUCK U

>I'm poor and don't have a phone
kek

the new UI only supports desktop

Yeah it just uses the matrix protocol to set up a webrtc call. But more than 1-1 calling isn't implemented.

The riot people made room "plugins" (or whatever they call it) where they just have an embedded page in the room. One of their plugins was for Jitsi conference video calling. Some guy made a web frontend for mumble and he said he got it to work as a riot plugin. But of course this isn't in the official matrix protocol

yuri.im

A TUI doesn't let you send multimedia or make voice/video calls, retard. I don't want to have absolutely useless javascript bloat, that doesn't mean I don't want to use half the features of the protocol.
There is not a single client that is both full featured and not Riot.

for now

Because it's about completely dead as compared to Pleroma/Mastodon where you can actually chat with people, servers federate, and so on.

The only thing it has extra is VoIP, but it's also just worse for text/image chat & file sharing stuff. And VoIP is nearly completely redundant if it's the FOSS users who'd also use the anyhow better mumble if you ask.

>As far as I'm concerned, Matrix still has the advantage where these features are the standard all clients aim for and so are supported by nearly all users.
It's mostly supported by Riot, isn't it?

Same issue as with XMPP, the servers caught up but there entirely aren't enough good clients for the various users.

Although matrix was shit at federating, slow AF and the servers involved were bloat and annoying to set up.

>emoji device verification

Attached: 1548092983087.jpg (720x706, 161K)

I've been using it with my family for about a year now. It's great.

>installing a million plugins and external programs is the epitome of the UNIX philosophy
Technically if they all do one thing and do it well, that's not wrong.
In practice, yeah, often the "one thing" is actually "send and receive chat messages securely", and things like encryption being outsourced to plugins makes it so that the core doesn't actually do that one thing well.

do people really do this?

Trap included?

Also, did that website just open a popup to ask me if I don't want to social botnet?

Attached: 1*1-qVfzJWhO24OFIaQArzKQ.png (267x383, 99K)

Yes. We do this.

medium is zoomer social botnet itself so not surprising

And this is why nobody can successfully use PAM. Nobody uses gpg or security certificates either. It killed the unix philosophy, right there.

what do you talk about?

Is using short key with a large a character set worse than a long key with a small character set?

Same thing people would use any other social network or IM for. Personally I mostly share links and memes on it.

I see. Well, I don't really get zoomers.

Riot is huge and uses a nonfree server, matrix federates poorly, and websites related with it ask you to botnet. And when you check it out, it's dead chatrooms everywhere. The only client that really works for the network is aforementioned bloated Riot. How is this better than going to IRC?

Or if you want image chats, anime.website or such - at least they're alive and posting images and talking about stuff? They are ALSO federated.

Is VOIP really the killer feature Riot proponents want, and do they accept this poorly functioning poorly populated network with a huge piece of software for it? Because just about anyone who doesn't like huge clients breaks VoIP, and then the "killer feature" VoIP doesn't work.

If having all VoIP was the goal, the much slimmer Mumble would work much better anyhow, everyone with a compatible client has voice chat then...?

I do not get it.

how many times are you going to fucking post it old man

Looks better and feels a lot more performant. But how the fuck do I add rooms and search for rooms now? And where do I find communities?

>uses a nonfree server
Allow me to interject for a moment, Synapse (Matrix Server) is released under the Apache 2.0 license and is considered free software by the FSF:
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html
>Apache License, Version 2.0 (#apache2)
>This is a free software license, compatible with version 3 of the GNU GPL.

>and websites related with it ask you to botnet
Websites related to it != Matrix. That's like saying I wont hang out with you because you have an asshole friend. Just stop inviting that asshole friend.
>And when you check it out, it's dead chatrooms everywhere.
Join popular rooms, especially general chat. People talk about FOSS related stuff and programming languages all the time and people also talk about unrelated junk.
I have 1k unread messages from various rooms from today, which I wont be reading because I don't have time.

Make one, you whining piece of shit

What rooms? Offtopic is a huge fuckfest drama perpetrated by anarchists, every music room is dead, technology is just an RSS bot, book talk is dead because schizo ancap mod banned everyone...

I use and love Riot/Matrix. I've convinced a lot of my friends and family to use it with me and have had my own Synapse server for over a year.

I don't think any of them noticed the redesign because they're all phonefags. I never understood why somebody would prefer typing on a touchscreen rather than a keyboard

> Synapse (Matrix Server) is released under the Apache 2.0 license
Riot uses a non-configurable non-free New Vector implementation, according to f-droid and g-droid. I believe them.

> Websites related to it != Matrix.
I guess I can't completely blame Matrix for screenshot release notes being posted on a site like that and user linking to it.

Still, it seems to be the case that they don't actually seem to be using Matrix at all for their social network communications either, heh.

> 1k unread messages
So very little; you'd expect this kind of activity with ~200 users or less. Half of them or so won't be around, the rest posts maybe 3-4 two-three line questions/responses or social chatter, and you're already there.

How is it so dead?

Do I just need to setup Synapse and my server as a homeserver and then have people connect to it? Is it that simple?

Attached: tokyo1.jpg (1920x1200, 488K)

Who cares about server implementation.? Unless you host it, you have no means of checking what code is running over there. Protocol and client is what matters.

Meant to post more, I'm a bit confused regarding how Matrix works -- I'd like to essentially setup a private chat server for myself and my friends. Is above all I need to do?

Shut mods and politics infighting between alt righters and antifa drove everyone away, the rest of them made their own rooms that died right away.

Hardly
How do you drag & drop files, pictures, websites etc?

Yes, my experience exactly. Meanwhile some absolutely random ActivityPub instance -let's take fuckonthefirst.date , which isn't actually about dating or fucking but just a silly name someone chose- has about 2-3x the activity user sees in all his chatrooms, and these small Pleroma instances aren't usually interested in federating with the bulk nip Mastodon or interest-unrelated instances.

That's how I'd expect chats to look like.

Yes

im a noob and i did it with a little bit of handholding.

use debian, install matrix-synapse-py3, configure homeserver.yaml. piece of advice, immediately switch from default sqlite to postgresql, don't even bother with sqlite. it's basically just there for testing purposes. then you need to open up a couple ports on your router, configure reverse proxy in apache, and set up a setting or two in your DNS with whichever company has your domain.

so... it's not a ton of work, and can be knocked out in 25 minutes by somebody who knows how to do that, or in a day of work for somebody that has to figure that stuff out and ask for help here and there

Alt righters and anarcho left and so on do seem to be fine on their own mastodon / pleroma instances though. Can shitpost images, can jerk off, can get into the not so occasional argument.

It works, has activity. It also worked on IRC. How doesn't it work on Matrix...?

Actually it's perfect for Jow Forums, as no onde here have friends.

I do care precisely because how am I gonna host the same thing for the same behaviour and functionality in trustworthy open sauce fashion if it doesn't exist open sauce?

Also, how do I get Riot users -which is the only viable full client, apparently- to use that instead even if, [f-droid and g-droid indicated it's not configurable to that extent].

Because everyone squats their own channels and people ban even for guilt by association. See: all mmj rooms.

I made a mastodon account some time ago but I have no idea how to find anyone because I have no friends on the platform.

If that happened on IRC, people would have changed rooms into other rooms who don't do it beyond stopping spam and shit.
If it happened with IRC server admins, people would [and did, actually] switch servers, even if that actually took the "effort" to register with a new server and your direct client to it it's far more pleasant than dealing with crazies who don't let you share your animated waifus and porn.

Same thing on Mastodon/Pleroma, it didn't support big enough images and some shit was moderated on some servers, people simply switched to others.

I'm pretty sure it even happened on Discord, although there you can't ultimately dodge the server people did change rooms at times.

On Matrix this is supposedly dead simple and it's all very free and distributed. Really, so how is it ded?