Raspberry Pi Projects

machinelearninglab.ca/

Any good raspberry pi projects or ideas?

Attached: rpi.jpg (474x355, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bedz_YocKTc
home-assistant.io
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shove it up you ass

Install Windows 10

Attached: Screenshot_20190213-193235-01.jpg (1080x1212, 209K)

write an OS for it

ebic dude

hard pass

>Seeder torrent machine, RetroPie, home server.

yeah you can return it if you don’t have a use dumbass

>Retropie

Attached: 1547598919711.png (960x892, 290K)

IoT dragon dildo

Home automation server box?

Dust collector
Inefficient paper weight

The rPi is cool for stupid little projects or honestly, a dedicated PC for someone in a pinch (assuming they don't own even the shittiest of smart phones). But as it is, it's worthless as an NAS because LAN and USB bandwidth are all shared, so you'll be lucky to see a sustained 7MB/s speed for longer than a second or 2. And anything else it could be used for could be done far better on an actual PC. Like even a C2D garbage bin Dell Optiplexe would offer a better experience.

would you argue there are better boards out there at a better price point?

Run PiHole - only useful project I've found for an old model b.

+1 for this. Very useful for cleaning up ads off of your whole network

I just don't get why people don't grasp that it's better to just get a cheap used laptop than some tiny toy.

>Why would you ever play video games when I can do more productive things like jerk off and wonder why I have no friends.

smart onahole warmer

Pi-Hole is by far the most useful with the least amount of work/effort. Plus you don’t need any extra hardware, just case/power supply wire.

Retropie is the most impressive to normies and it has /some/ degree of difficulty, slightly higher than the PiHole but still easy enough for anyone on this site to do without a problem. Higher cost since you probably want to buy the $30 SNES case and special PSU that allows a power button (since you’d have to buy a case and PSU anwyway) - this one (called NESPi) also includes heatsink and fan. And the controller is $30ish so yeah more expensive but pretty fun. Turns out a lot of these games suck. Earthbound is still great tho.

Looking for more easy/normie projects. I’ve already done both of these.

Its incredibly useful for robotics applications and small form factor applications. I personally use mine for music streaming/kodi box, and I have plans to use another one as a no-botnet solution for a "smart" coffee machine.

You speak as if these are mutually exclusive and not complimentary signs of a fucking loser

Attached: DyvoneWWoAEH4hr.jpg (1300x781, 262K)

Vintage/retro video games are unironically based. Go play Earthbound and tell me it’s not redpilled.

Everything after the Gameboy advance is a waste and should be nuked from existence.

Plus it’s great since your phones will use it as well and for iPlebs there are no real adblocking software.

Intradesting. I guess I have just seen these pitched like "learn python with Raspberry pi". You can do Python on any machine.

I would argue that any board worth using out there is $150 minimum. The price of the rPi is irrelevant. I'd gladly pay $100+ if the rPi had 2GB RAM, and a dedicated LAN/SATA port. Being cheap doesn't make it useful. Even a garbage PC could do anything an rPi could but better.

checked

Attached: 1441295852824.jpg (250x250, 16K)

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1528454285519.gif (540x540, 279K)

I put Kodi on a Pi Zero W, seems to work reasonably ok after first try.

Bit of a pain to get Wifi working without mouse and keyboard connection. Put image onto MicroSD, let it boot (resizes the data partition to fill the SD), shut down, add wifi config files to wherever it goes, reboot again, control via app (Kore) or web

Wifi performance is absolute crap though, 1.5MB/s transfer rate

Piratebox (and other similar projects) seems kind of cool. Set up a wireless network with a forum and file sharing for anyone that connects to it.

make a vpn machine out of it or make a pi-hole

I can’t believe I wasted quints on this

stick it on a portable battery pack and ride around town sharing the rarest memes

I'm using one pi for pi-hole, a cluster for monitoring the weather, and one as a desktop replacement.

Attached: 2019-02-13-111559_566x295_scrot.png (566x295, 11K)

Are there ways to install these outside? Special boxes or power regulators?

standard watertight electrical outdoor box should do, no idea about power, some people use outdoor solar panels + battery but I'm sure you can get some USB charger out there

Attached: x.jpg (1024x576, 55K)

I use my RPi 3 as a basic NAS/rsync server, FTP server, printer server, Plex (family), Kodi (just me because if the Internet goes I still get to access my media) and torrent server (Transmission) on Raspbian with a 1TB 3.5" HD attached to it via USB.

The RPi 3 is hooked up over ethernet. Literally just works. I get constant 10MB/s speeds 24/7. It occasionally shits the bed once every 2-3 months and I have to restart it and start everything back up again (scripted it and I just ssh into it and run it).

Don't get me wrong, me and my family are perfectly happy with the 10MB/s speed and it works great for us, but we also remember that it only cost £35. I don't understand what other people expect? Are they expecting gigabit speeds or something?

You get what you pay for and for £35 you get a shit ton. To those who are wanting £100+ features on a £35 board, there are better boards out there or get a PC.

>Any good raspberry pi projects or ideas?
Yes, don't buy one if you have no use for it.

I have one running a scale model motion simulator. Plan to build it full scale eventually.
youtube.com/watch?v=bedz_YocKTc

Rafael, that is very interesting

real question, can you install windows xp on it?

Mine is currently doing the following:
purge systemD and install sysvinit
mpd server with both 3.5 jack and bluetooth outputs
smb/cifs share
rtorrent
download websites with wget and serve them internally to your lan with apache
occasionally ancient unix or vms with simh

Dont think so. xp is for x86 and x64 processors and raspberry pi is ARM based so would need a custom build.

how many months did it take to compile gentoo?

home-assistant.io

oh, and since we don't have access to the code, we wont be getting a custom build....