/pcbg/ - Pc Building General - Jow Forumstards too lazy to make a new thread edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X or i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>8GB RX 570, RX 580, and GTX 1060 are standard choices
>RTX 2060 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>RTX 2060 is standard
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is standard
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

prev

Attached: giphy.gif (500x281, 1.78M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/G7Zrw6
geizhals.eu/?cmp=1277261&cmp=1909292&cmp=1681463
youtube.com/watch?v=V_Je1KukX1k?
pcpartpicker.com/list/6Y73J8
amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-CMX8GX3M2A1600C9-2x4GB-Desktop/dp/B0042A7CAA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ddr3 2000mhz&qid=1550266599&s=electronics&sr=1-3
gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/why-is-speccy-showing-my-ram-speed-at-half-capacit-29303729/
my.mixtape.moe/vxcxul.webm
youtu.be/ng8Wa_jwwx8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you can, please wait for Zen2. You would get a massive upgrade even with the midrange parts in B550, 3600, and 16GB of RAM and still be way below your budget.

pcpartpicker.com/list/G7Zrw6
This is just a template of what I might do, I am open to any input as I am new to small form factor PC's
I'm interested in whether or not a 2700x would work or be better. Price is not a limiting factor.

2700x would work just as well at least but I'm not a fan of the mITX AM4 selection.

ok, let's try this again:

144hz
1440p
27"
not curved
16:9
g-sync compatible/adaptive sync
450 EURO because germany
Pixio, Mbest many others don't sell their monitors here. which is why i narrowed it down to these 3 geizhals.eu/?cmp=1277261&cmp=1909292&cmp=1681463 because i can't find anything better for

i want to fuck that nugget

>400 USD
Just narrow results in newegg. If you're looking for IPS panels, then that's much more difficult. Maybe a refurbished XF270HU would fit your needs.

???????

Please read my post again.

What should I upgrade next?
I'm currently running most things around 60 at 1440p with most useful settings set to high/ medium and meme settings (Hair works, the more minor post processing etc) turned off

Temps are annoyingly high mostly because I'm currently using a tiny budget case with no room for fucking anything but I've got a proper one on the way

Attached: speccy boi.jpg (679x546, 94K)

I did, the fuck if I know if it ships to your place. It ships to my tropical island, why wouldn't it ship to a first world country? Since it doesn't, then I apologize.

cpu fan(shitty circle) on this side or the other side, next to the case fan?

Attached: 10,000 hours.png (281x236, 3K)

>why wouldn't it ship to a first world country?
pic related

I've been watching every single fucking review of monitors that fit my requirements on YT i could find. They are all recommending Pixio, Mbest or other manufacturers that don't ship to the EU. It's like ACER cornered the market here with their 600-800EUR products.

Attached: eol.jpg (384x290, 37K)

monitors are overrated, just get the cheapest one you can live with

That sucks. I'd just bite the bullet and widen the budget. I'd pick an expensive monitor over an expensive GPU every single time.

I bought another 16gb for a total of 32gb (4x8gb) at 3200 on an 8700k. Now it takes about 3x longer to boot and programs start much slower. Is this normal?

Don't ever buy Seasonic PSUs.
I got a Seasonic focus plus platinum 650W and two sata power connectors in both sata power cables broke by simply connecting them to hdds.
I returned it to Amazon. Fuck them. How can they hold such reputation with such crappy cables. Seriously I didn't even apply force. Must have been a bad batch but then their QA is non-existent.

If you only use the one then as in the pic.

I'm new to overclocking. Is my overclock stupidly low for an evga 1070 super clocked 2? even at this setting I'm not sure if it's completely stable.

Attached: dhfhfghfg.png (396x586, 166K)

yes

Danke

Nothing really.
Hold on to it until you definitely can't play/do something then get an entire new system. So just start saving money now.

Why do so many 144hz VA monitors have curved screens?

It's either one of these 3 ASUS MG278Q Dell S2719DGF ViewSonic XG2730 or some ASUS/ACER 600+ EURO model and i really don't want to spend that much on a monitor. My initial budget was around 350 because fucking clapistanians were creaming themselves over their nice deals, then i started looking around and not a single one of those manufacturers ships to the EU.

I get stutters on my Vega/Ryzen 5 2600 build. I play 1440p60fps. It's infuriating. I lowered the settings to the minimum and I still get it. I know it can run the game at max just fine (resident evil 2 remake for example) but I get these fucking stutters. It'll drop to 45 fps and then come back to 60. Is it because of my shit ram? (16-18-18-38 running at 3000 MHz)? Would upgrading to 15-16-16-35 make a difference? Same frequency. The GPU and CPU are stock clocks but the GPU is undervolted (same issue when at stock voltages)

Is 3200 CL14 worth it over CL16 if I'm planning on using Zen 2 when they come out, assuming it'll have the same memory dependent performance as the current Ryzens

Upgrade the ram to at least 2700MHz speed. Your motherboard support 2800+ speeds and 8/16 gigs of high speed dual channel memory will help your build

>resident evil 2 remake
Does it happen to other games?
I hear the optimization isn't very good on that game.

>building first pc with tax refund

Can someone explain in basic english what MCE is, and if it should or shouldn't be enabled.

Attached: 1487079791787.jpg (1148x1200, 109K)

Can you record some gameplay with benchmark numbers like this youtube.com/watch?v=V_Je1KukX1k? It would be much easier to identify the problem with more information

A waste of money if you ask me.
Better for him to save the money for the future.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6Y73J8
Updating 2014 build, keeping the GPU until RTX 3080.
Any recommendations?

Attached: 1547236761455.jpg (400x593, 60K)

I believe it stands for Multi-Core Enhancement. I think it sort of auto-overclocks Intel chips.

He wants to upgrade something. RAM prices are dropping now more than ever. It's the most valuable investment for his current build. He's not looking to buy an entire new PC so why should he save his money?

My core clock wasn't stable above this point, and I'm running an GTX 1070 Sea Hawk EK X under water. I think you did alright.

Attached: 1070.png (784x540, 255K)

>pcpartpicker.com/list/6Y73J8
You can drop down the power supply to 550+ gold if you want. Why are you buying two different ssds? I would go for either one 1 TB or a 500 GB ssd with a 1 TB Hard drive

The subject merits a doctorate degree just to understand it an it really depended on mobo and cpu combination. You will need to benchmark to make a determination but mostly have it enable.

this .
Going to be the most bang for you're buck. Should be able to get decent speed dual channel (8x2) for ~ $120. You will notice a significant improvement not solely in gaming but in everyday use.

>He wants to upgrade something.
Stop encouraging pointless consumerism.

1080p 144hz with a budget gpu or spend more on a 1440p 144hz and better gpu?

But you want him to build an entire new computer! Buying an entire new PC when you are already comfortable with the performance of your pc is far more consumerist you idiot!

I didn't say to buy it now. I said to make do with what he has now and start saving for the future.

Was going to load the OS on a 124gb ssd, but a 240gb ssd was only 10$ more so I figured I could store the OS + system applications on the 240gb and use the 1tb for general storage.

60% of render scale optimized Apex Legends can get you average 144hz 1080p with dips on a 2060. If you are wanting to play more graphically intensive games, stick with 1080p. 1440p is great for high end builds or if you like to play older games that aren't as graphically intensive. I'm biased to 1080 high refresh rate though.

he's on ddr3 ram, what the fuck's the point of upgrading to better dd3?

Everything is pointless in the grand scheme of things user. Why don't you enjoy yourself a little :)

I do enjoy myself by giving correct recommendations.

Though that makes me wonder if maybe I should buy some thermal pads and paste, and see if I can improve my numbers.

I notice some stuttering in shadow of the tomb raider. Overwatch has the same issue as re2
I'll try to and I'll post the link here

Got it. Yeah It's fine if you want to do that, but I have had no issues with putting my OS and system apps with my general storage.
What a useless suggestion. He clearly wants to upgrade something since he's allocated a budget for upgrading something else. You have NO idea about the future of computer parts prices and whether or not the new generation will be worth waiting for. Historically, this is the best time to buy RAM. He is comfortable with 1440p 60hz and no new chip from team red or blue is going to change that. Even if Navi or intel gen 10 is revolutionary, he can STILL USE THE RAM HE BOUGHT NOW IN HIS NEW BUILD. There is literally nothing wrong with buying ram right now. You have no reason to tell him not to buy ram now.

>he can STILL USE THE RAM HE BOUGHT NOW IN HIS NEW BUILD.
You are a retard or a troll.

do new mobos even support ddr3?

The point is that it's a small upgrade that will benefit his build that doesn't make him buy a new cpu + mobo or gpu etc. It's the next best thing he can buy. even 1600Mhz memory can be bought for $50 amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-CMX8GX3M2A1600C9-2x4GB-Desktop/dp/B0042A7CAA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ddr3 2000mhz&qid=1550266599&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I admit im wrong and didn't see that the mobo was ddr3 when I looked at the spec sheet, but the point still stands that his build would benefit the most from upgrading his ram

Should i switch my rx 580 nitro+ 8GB for a 1060 zotac amp 6GB? They cost the same-200€ and i can still return my rx580

Your motherboard supports a E3-1275 v2 which is basically a Xeon version of the i7-3770K, but can be found used for much cheaper.
I don't think these processors see much benefit from faster memory. If this is a set of two sticks, another matched set of two would be a better upgrade, bringing the total memory to 16GB, and supplying better throughput, while not throwing out existing DIMMs.

Next step after that would be to pump up the GPU. A Gsync 1440p monitor and a 1070 (or equivalent) would be about as far as you could push this system.

That's fair. You're right about 16 GB 800mhz being better than 8GB 1600Mhz+.

Performance is almost identical thus keep the RX580 with 8GB unless you are destitute and cannot pay for the extra energy cost of running the RX580.

Now, does Specy do the hwinfo thing of reporting half the practical memory speed (1600Mhz reported as 800 because DDR = double data rate) because I was assuming that, and straight up 800Mhz sounds super slow to me.

Damn, they're all TN too. In that case I'd probably go with Asus or Dell. I'm a little biased for Dell since I have two ultrasharps, but I know nothing about their TN panels.

gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/why-is-speccy-showing-my-ram-speed-at-half-capacit-29303729/
He's running 1600.

I don't know. That threw me off too as im used to builds with ddr4 ram

LOL i don't really care about the power draw, these are a few Cents at max
What i care is the driver support, i hate the gui on the new amd drivers and i am a bit concerned about the ability to start older games and some production software on the amd card
Sound and temperature levels are identical between these two, but i get 5 years of warranty on the zotac, but two games with the sapphire
What fucks me up the most is the 6gb vram

If you care about older games, i'd go with the 1060. If you prefer newer games, go with the 580. Games like the division 2 and Apex Legends favor the 580 from the benchamrks i've seen.

I haven't used team read in a long time so I don't know about drivers but Nvidias aren't much better. You basically are forced to update at every game release nowadays thus risking fucking up old games too. 2GB of vram goes a long way in future proofing compared to 6GB. Last time I upgraded GPU was not due to performance but vram limit.

If you're going to aim for adaptive sync and high refresh rates anyway, I figure 1440p makes more sense, but that's only if the rest of the system can drive it. An RX590 and a decent 1440p freesync monitor probably comes in about the same as a 1060 and a 1080p gsync if you wanna keep costs down. Otherwise it isn't that much extra to get a 2060 and one of those "Gsync compatible" freesync displays, if you can find one.

>Damn, they're all TN too.
Not going to be an issue since my current 6 year old ass 1080p/60hz ASUS VS247H-P is apparently IPS(doesn't distort when looking at it from the side) and will be standing at an angle while the new one will become the main monitor.

I want to stick 2 of the same old RAM sticks into this near 3 year old build (they're DDR4, don't know why Speccy doesn't pick that up), replace the GTX 960 with RTX 2060, replace the CPU if necessary and stick with the same monitor, I am still content with 60 fps but might want to go for better later on.
I can't find requirements or comparisons for RTX 2060 so is this a good idea, am I missing anything or is this not even possible with what I got/am going for?

Attached: 1542322436469.png (752x481, 64K)

I want 10bpc for photo work but would rather have a good GTX than a mediocre quadro for performance. Since you can run multi monitor on two different graphics cards, is it possible to run a GTX for regular use and a secondary shitty quadro just for photoshop and the like?

First time builder here,

This is my current build my friend made this years ago. I plan on buying a new monitor, looking at either a Dell D3218HN or a MSI Optix MAG24MVC. Any suggestions?

Other than the monitor, I want to build a new computer. I want to continue using the same hard drives and RAM, theres no need to buy new ones right? My budget is somewhere around $500-$600 USD, not including the monitor and a new case (obviously I'll buy that separately.) I assume I only really need a new mother board, GPU and CPU? Any help on what I should buy, and am I coming at this project the correct way?

fuck me sideways I forgot the specs

Attached: specs.png (725x516, 43K)

Oh, that makes me feel a bit better I guess. Don't people get around 2000mhz? that's why I thought mine was shit.

so I'm buying a fractal design meshify c as well as some noctua case fans. for the front, would it be better to get 3 120mm fans or 2 140?

For fucks' sake. When I try to record it happening, of course nothing happens. I am using ReLive. I'll post a clip where it happened only once. I thought it the issue was that my ram couldn't handle 3000 MHz so I put it back to 2133 MHz. I set it back to 3000 MHz and couldn't really get the issue again. For some reason MSI Afterburner looks fucked when using ReLive. I looked through the settings and couldn't find anything that would cause it to look like that. If you care enough, the smaller print in the back are the actual statistics. There has been an update to RE2 since it reads the amount of VRAM I have correctly (used to say I had 0.0 GB)

Here's the clip: my.mixtape.moe/vxcxul.webm

Will a ryzen 2600 and 1080 be enough to compete with next gen consoles at 1440p 60fps?

I'd rather not buy a 1080ti unless I have to. While we're at it, what kind of improvement are we looking at with next gen ryzen compared to mine?

Well I look crazy now. I guess there is a glitch in windows build of mpv. Anyway, no Radeon chil or frame limiting within Radeon settings. V sync on and set to only output 60 fps within the game settings.

Honestly not too sure. I've seen varying numbers. I pushed mine up to where yours was initially but games would randomly shit themselves in long sessions, even though it would survive benchmarks and burn-ins, so I dropped it. Sometimes you win the silicon lottery, and sometimes you don't. I also wonder if QA took a hit during the mining craze.

Ok, i think(85%) i'm getting the Acer XF0 XF270HUA. Ticks all the boxes and is only 400 bucks while the reviews i've seen put it on par with 500 and 600 euro models. Am i making a mistake?

Examples of randomly shitting themselves? and how long is a long session? My build is fairly new so I'm being autistic trying to get the most out of my pc. I haven't really had any lengthy session yet.

What is the absolute best gayming monitor under 700 dollars? Please do not recommend anything acer predator.

poozen BTFO
youtu.be/ng8Wa_jwwx8

Nothing that should have been super stressful. Overwatch for a an hour or two at most would randomly crash to desktop. Stopped happening when I dropped the overclock back to 100 on the core. It didn't make a lot of sense to me, but I had my stability back so I opted to stop there.

Is an RTX 2080 (No TI) a decent upgrade from a 1070?
I just want to have a reasonable 80-100fps in more modern games at 1440p high setitings.

Attached: rich-man-with-money.jpg (300x200, 20K)

the difference in price more than covers for the difference in performance

Intel comes out cheaper moron

>While we're at it, what kind of improvement are we looking at with next gen ryzen compared to mine?
Pretty big since they're at least going for 50% more cores and IPC that can match a 9900k.

What's a good z390 board that's less than $250 USD? Seen some reviews online, but a I don't know if they're still the same with bios updates.

Are NZXT motherboards any good? A pal of mine is considering one, but I'm not too sure it's a good use of money. Mostly something to match the case. What are some decent, mid range white / white accented motherboards?

yes but a second hand 1080ti would be better and cheaper
just make sure the seller is legit and there's still a valid warranty

sorry friend im commuting right now. ill try to help later

>IPC that can match a 9900k
do people really believe this or just shitposting?

Current theory is that AMD will take everything they learned in Zen and Zen+ and absolutely kill it in Zen2. The only sticking point I have is that 14nm IO and memory module. If they make that work; Ryzen3 should be pretty sweet. But it's an untested method, and who knows how that will work out. It might solve the memory problems of Zen/+, it might exacerbate them.

i have an rtx 2070 that is being bottlenecked by an i5 4690k. Should i go 1440p 144hz and hope that that will allieviate bottlenecks or just upgrade to ryzen 5 2600x or 7 2700

As the case already comes with a 120mm in the front just get 2 more to complete the set of 3. It really depends on what will go into the case and your noise tolerance.
As a data hoarded myself with 8 hdds I see all these cases as wasted space. I do not even think you need any extra fans other than the 2 that come with the case to get ok temps.

It's more of a best case scenario, but still very feasible. Not only wasn't it the full package, it was also an engineering sample that still managed to go neck and neck with the 9900k.

We don't have it yet but they've already talked about people's concerns of the I/O die fucking things up. They mentioned that every optimization already done on Zen should carry over to Zen2. We'll see how that pans out in the coming months.

well they have demonstrated it live with an early sample so yes

They demonstrated multicore perf which amd was always better on so I dunno why people are so hyped. And prices are unknown

i'm about to pull the trigger on the XF270HUA for 400EUR. Y/N?

Ok, thanks. Seems similar to what I have experienced whilst experimenting.

So what are some good MOBOs (Intel) these days? I'm in desperate need of a MOBO/CPU upgrade and it's been a long ass time since I've even looked at them

just send it back if it sucks