NAND M.2

any of you use this stuff?
how do you install it?
how does it compare to the typical 2.5" SSD?

Attached: isnt_this_just_ram.jpg (640x480, 20K)

>use it?
yes worth every penny
>how to install?
read documentation
>how does it compare?
so much faster

>read documentation
i dont have it. will i need to buy like some kinda additional adapter that it doesnt come with?

would it make sense to install this on a torrent box, or will several GB of writes be bad?

I have an old sm951 in my rig, haven't even touched consumer stuff and I can tell you it's so worth it.
Booting my computer takes maybe 10 seconds, loading photoshop maybe 2-5 secs.

Thats NVME, faggot. OP specifically asked about NAND storage which is SATA.

M.2 is a form factor, not a storage type. NVME is faster than a sata SSD, but a non-NVME M.2 SSD will literally only take up less space and fit into a convenient spot on your mobo.

you can't have nand pci-e?

>NAND M.2
I'm sure you mean NVMe M.2. Like your picture implies.

>any of you use this stuff?
Yes.

>how do you install it?
Either on your motherboard if you have a slot or on a PCIe card. I use the latter for my dual Xeon homeserver that does not have on onboard.

>how does it compare to the typical 2.5" SSD?
Power power efficient / less heat and even low end ones are faster (even when their cache is full) than same NAND technology 2.5" SATA ones. Specially nice if you run several VMs of one drive for example, the increased IOPS really shines.
No reason not to use one these days if you have a slot. The prices between 2.5" SATA and NVMe are pretty much the same. Maybe a few euros more for NVMe between same size drives.

Attached: 1549647867173.jpg (393x480, 30K)

doesnt make much sense on a seedbox, your speeds are likely bottlenecked by internet connection somewhere down the line more than it is by drive speed

>or will several GB of writes be bad?
I've been using SSDs for that for a few years. The NAND is the same, SATA is the bottleneck on SATA ones. So far they are all running fine after hundreds of TBs of writes (500GB SSDs). The "limited writes" thing is pretty much irrelevant now since the ceiling is so high on the limited writes.
I still used a SSD from 2011 daily half a year ago and before I swapped it out it had over 50% of live remaining and that was the main drive for over half a decade.

There's a slot on your motherboard that looks like this would connect to. You push it into the slot. It makes the ssd lie parallel to the motherboard.

If the seedbox is in the same room, the benefit is less noise and heat output. Unless you have really fast internet, the IOPS won't really matter, but if you do and serve several people at once, they do.

my motherboards do not have this...my computers are at least 6 years old.

Pic related, 3 bucks from China.
Make sure your computer can boot from one though, you might need extra software for that, like a 3rd party bootloader. Unless you just want to use it as storage, then the OS will handle it.

Attached: PCIE-to-M2-2.jpg (600x600, 56K)

doesnt this just defeat the purpose by making it slower?

>doesnt this just defeat the purpose by making it slower?
The card or the bootloader?
Either way it wouldn't really make a difference, not that NVMe really improves boot times even on a supported system

Watch out, if you want to put an nvme in that your bios has to suport the nvme peotocol.
I think theres a waybto edit the uefi and add the drivers youeself tho.

install it on the mobo using the instructions or use a pcie card to m.2 converter

NAND is a type of Flash memory chips (the other is NOR). It has nothing to do with the interface.

It's a fully passive adapter. It can't make anything slower or faster.

do you not know what SATA is?

There's one in my laptop.
Not new enough for NVME.

>do you not know what SATA is?
Yes, it's SLOW.

>implying SATA is slow
ISHYGDDT

wtf does sata have to do with a not sata connection

>any of you use this stuff?
Yes
>how do you install it?
With a tiny screw that's a bitch to handle if the case isn't fullyk flat
>how does it compare to the typical 2.5" SSD?
It's a bit faster.

Attached: 1414541331811.jpg (566x520, 100K)

Nvme is pretty good, most people aren't going to ever need the iops and throughput it provides though.
I run a test lab in hyperv with around 12 virtual machines, it is very noticeable compared to a SATA ssd.

ew hyperv

wish there were more m2 pcie devices
like if nvidia or qualcomm or someone made a little m2 co-processor that's strictly for video encoding or something

>It's a bit faster
Someone with a little sense, thanks pal

>receive company laptop
>everything opens instantly
>wow, laptops sure have improved
>some day run a disk benchmark for fun
>>>over 3000MB/s read speed
>still has 512GB capacity
jesus, these are almost half as fast as my RAM

>use it?
Yes
>how do install it?
If you have to ask you aren't ready to build a pc
>how does it compare?
Minimally faster, I have a mitx build so I have less cables in the case. Also, my mobo comes with an heatsink for it.

>thinking sequential speeds matter at all
nice joke

>being retarded
just buy a 2.5 one then, why would you buy an adapter?

Attached: 1529865856624.png (211x239, 11K)

it fast tho