I do not understand Mac anymore, now that they come with the T2 chip

I do not understand Mac anymore, now that they come with the T2 chip.

Q: How can I create a external USB bootable clone of my internal HD that will work on any Mac?

I have used SuperDuper for more than a decade, but I cannot figure this stupid T2 shit out. Halp!

Attached: apple-T2-mac-topic-icon.png (172x172, 1K)

Basically apple is literally gay, that about sums it up.

its apple. you arent supposed to do such advanced things on it.

>he wants to do something that isn't facebook or slideshows
what are you using apple for? buy a computer.

You used to be able to stick in any drive, image it, and it would boot when you reset your Mac.

Now when I do this, the drive takes like 12 minutes to appear in the boot menu at all (holding down the OPT key, natch), and then when I select it, in like 8 minutes more, I get a circle with a diagonal cross through it.

again
I just googled for the symbol (pic related) and it happened to be on a page with an explanation that boils down to "screw you":
> A circle with a line or slash through it means that the selected startup disk contains a Mac operating system, but it's not a macOS that your Mac can use. You should reinstall macOS on that disk.

Oh yes, this is super-secure, but what if my internal HD dies? What then?
Or what if the T2 with its secure enclave dies?

Either way, I am screwed. I can't access my data, even if I belong to the 0.001% of all users who have imaged HDs because they are not retards.

Attached: mac-prohibit-symbol-screen-icon.png (436x276, 4K)

>OP's face when he just now twigs that apple have been slowly removing power-user features and customisability from their products for the last twenty years
>any workflow that does not match ours will not be tolerated
>you will do it the way we want you to do it
>if we do not want you to do it you will not do it
>it's our property, you're just picking up the tab

did it never occur to you at any point to ask why Jow Forums hates apple? this is why.
apple don't want your business. they want dumb teenagers and old people.
they rejected you years ago.

Why do Jow Forumsents hate Apple products? Because it's a Coke vs. Pepsi, vi vs. Emacs, day vs. night etc etc endless battle. That's why.

BTW, before anyone suggests dialing down the settings, I have already done so. My Mac's settings are to "No Security" and "Allow booting from external media". Even with the lowest settings, I get the "Prohibited" symbol. Nice one, Apple.

Attached: macos-high-sierra-startup-security-utility.png (746x652, 70K)

Attached: app.jpg (607x618, 324K)

((They)) like Apple? Huh? Go back to Jow Forums.

Honestly, c'mon Jow Forums, there's gotta be someone who uses Apple computers in an Enterprise setting lurking here today.

So tell me, how do you image your new corporate Apple laptops with this damned T2 chip in it? Give the little guy (your friend user, right here) the magic to circumvent this garbage.

you have backups then. you probably cant even replace the soldered drive.

>you have backups then
But the backups don't work.

In the pre-T2 era, you could image a bootable HD, and then if your regular boot disk died, you could plug in your backup and just keep going.

In fact, when I took a dead MacBook (original white clamshell from the mid '00s) to an Apple Store and they said they could fix my problem but that they would have to "wipe my drive", they were shocked when I just shrugged and said "go for it".

Obviously, I had a boot drive at home.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-02-16 at 16.14.43.png (787x722, 341K)

take normal backups then and reinstall the os if you have to

*ANY* drive that you format in a T2-chipped Mac is poisoned, whether it boots or not.

Lose the Mac, if the T2 dies, etc etc, and you lose your backup. How brilliant is that?

How are other people not losing their minds about this?

>someone who uses Apple computers in an Enterprise setting
to do what, browse twitter when the servers are busy?

so you cant copy the files to another drive?

>take normal backups then and reinstall the os if you have to
You actually sound like a Mac user. Most replies on Mac forums are:
> You are using it wrong

i think you're the last person to be affected. everyone else was alienated and moved to better-suited hardware years ago.

it's not happening, bro. apple don't want you to do it on their computer so it isn't happening.
ditch them.

because other people aren't niggardly bastards who refuse to backup their data regularly

>because other people aren't niggardly bastards who refuse to backup their data regularly
WHAT? I have both **local** **physical** copies and also a **cloud** **backup** and you are calling me cheap? How small is that brain in your head?

Before the T2 chip:
> HD fails
> turn off computer
> plug in USB HD
Done

But now it will be:
> HD fails
> take it to Apple store so that only they can put in a new HD
> reinstall the OS (assuming Apple won't)
> download all my TBs of data from the cloud

Oh wow. That's so much better than before.

Some random ComputerWorld article:

> It also affects system imaging. That's the process businesses and schools have long used to configure, deploy and refresh systems by copying a disk image that overwrites what's on a Mac with a new configuration; the goal is to ensure all Macs have a consistent configuration from the macOS version to apps, network settings and other configuration states. The process can also be used to resolve stubborn computer issues by blasting a known, good deployment image onto a Mac rather than resorting to extensive troubleshooting. As various attendees at JAMF's user conference last month put it: imaging is dead (though in fairness, Apple has been nudging organizations to other deployment mechanisms for years).

> On top of those issues, the T2's secure boot technology also affects users who want to boot and run Linux on their Macs rather than macOS or Windows 10.

>OP is angry because apple are useless
>Jow Forums is trying to tell him that apple are useless
>OP isn't having it

Attached: 1471986004263 (1).jpg (279x332, 15K)

i dont use proprietary software so i dont have such problems.

>imaging is dead
>imaging is dead
>imaging is dead
Oh fudge.

>Jow Forums is trying to tell him that apple are useless
Sorry, man. Maybe I am throwing punches in the wrong direction.

maybe they can stop wasting money on meme hardware and use it for something better

i legitimately feel for you, user. it must be crushing to feel a company whose products you trusted for (presumably) years is turning their back on you. you didn't deserve this.

this is legitimately why Jow Forums is so ruthless when apple come up, though. a lot of us got burnt in the same way you did.

i hope you manage to figure it out, even if that means a full migration.

The build quality(*) of Macs is quite high. Someone suggest an run-of-the-mill PC HW manufacturer with similar build quality. I'm serious -- and don't say Dell or HP or whoever owns IBM nowadays.

As for meme hardware? macOS ain't a meme. It's a legit UNIX-based non-sucky UI for end users like me who liked Windows until Windows XP with baby colors started being a thing.

---
(*) But what about those new low-travel keyboards that die from a speck of dust? Or about MacBook Pro monitors that die when the cable powering the backlight ultimately rubs away?

Why do I like Macs? Believe it or not, it is the "halo effect" that business execs used to talk about.

My halo effect went like this:
> oh wow, iTunes on Windows makes it super-easy to rip my entire CD collection to high-quality MP3s.
> oh wow, this iPod thing is even better than the first two MP3 players that I bought. Hell, yeah!
> hmm, maybe their computers -- although overpriced -- aren't total crap
> Hmm, since I've already got the Mac, I may as well go with iPad over any android tablet.

So that's where I find myself today. Hmm. I *could* just throw out the Mac and get Windows again, but I hate the fact that Windows phones home to license servers, and when those license servers die, you cannot install that OS ever again.

I guess I could get a "friendly" Linux distro, but I imagine that it would feel horrible as a desktop OS.

sounds like a very small hangup to let ruin an entire operating system

Microsoft has already disabled the servers for my version of Mac OS Office, so yeah, I speak from experience about getting MS products disabled. Forget that nonsense.

if you're concerned about that type of shit try updating a 1st gen iphone

>Q: How can I create a external USB bootable clone of my internal HD that will work on any Mac?
I would not be surprised at all if that violates the ToS. I mean, making a COPY of the HARD DRIVE? Apple is only leasing the OS to you, so that's stealing!

(please god somebody tell me that this is only a shitpost and isn't actually true)

What is this T2 thing. Is it apple speak for TPM 2.0?

Attached: 1531578235926.png (1378x1591, 711K)

Ah i see. It's Vendor lock in cancer chip designed to reduce freedom and waste your money on things that you could do yourself if it wasn't present. That sounds exactly like something apple would do.

it's also the reason for newer macbooks and imacs getting bricked after third party repairs that caused a shitstorm not that long ago. communication between critical hardware modules is managed by the T2 chip, so if one of those modules is replaced, it's blocked from communicating with other modules because its key doesn't match - and the only way to fix that is to use apple's proprietary diagnostic software. I'm assuming it uses a globally-trusted intermediate cert to re-encrypt whatever on-chip flash storage holds the keys for the trusted hardware modules after adding the replacement part to it.

so yes, OP's problem is almost definitely because the hard drive, which was originally encrypted with a different key, can't be decrypted when connected through USB because the keys are different.