The glaring abuse of standard units and unit prefixes must be intervened with

The glaring abuse of standard units and unit prefixes must be intervened with.

>kB
Kilobyte = 1000 Byte

>KiB
Kibibyte = 1024 Byte

>KB
Kelvin Byte doesn't make any sense.

>gb
Doesn't make any sense. "gram barn"? Please write "GB" (1 billion byte) or "GiB" (2^30 byte).

>kb
Ambiguous. The symbol for the bit is 'bit'. Better write "kilobit".

Furthermore, please remember, division is indicated by a horizontal line, by a solidus (oblique stroke, /) or by negative exponents (i.e.: not a 'p').
Due to 4channel's limitations, the only option available here is the solidus, for example:
5 megabit/s.

Attached: ΜΕΤΡΩ ΧΡΩ.png (1024x1024, 144K)

Autism.

Based and SIpilled

i'm greek and your title doesn't make any sense

It's the motto of BIPM. Apparently it means 'use the measure'.

The sentiment of your post is highly admirable, OP, but it does contain some errors:

>…Byte
Unit names follow the capitalisation rules of common nouns

>KB
>kelvin-byte
The kelvin-byte is a sound hypothetical compound unit. The problem with KB is that it has neither a space nor a half-high (centred) dot (·) between the two unit symbols to indicate multiplication, thereby implying that the 'K' is a prefix symbol. As you know, 'K' is the symbol for no SI or IEC prefix.

>kb => kilobit
It is of course acceptable to replace unit symbols with the full unit name, but it is equally acceptable to replace faulty unit symbols with the correct ones. Simply correcting the faulty representation instead of replacing it with the name yields 'kbit'.

>5 megabit/s
It is not permitted to mix unit names and symbols in a single expression. This quantity may be represented as either '5 megabits per second' or '5 mbit/s'.

I hope this was helpful for you. Please re-read the SI Brochure if you are ever unsure in these matters, and keep up the good work.

>Discourages KB
>Encourages GB
Wanna explain this one?

"G" is the SI prefix for 10^9.
"Gi" is the SI-accepted (though not technically SI) prefix for 2^30.
Both are legitimate.

>"G" is the SI prefix for 10^9.
Correct, but wasn't my question
>"Gi" is the SI-accepted (though not technically SI) prefix for 2^30.
It's a binary prefix, but otherwise correct
>Both are legitimate.
To be sure, you agree both KB and GB are legitimate SI prefixes, then? Because that wasn't clear in your OP.

It seems adequately explained to me by the OP. If you're still confused, I suggest re-reading the SI Brochure.

>To be sure, you agree both KB and GB are legitimate SI prefixes, then?
Neither of those two constructions are prefixes.

Are you so afflicted? My condolences.

OP suggested usage of KB is discouraged as it suggests "Kelvin Byte", yet later suggests GB over gb. What did OP mean by this?

And what do you mean GB or KB aren't prefixes?

>still brainwashed by HDD manufacturers from way back that tried to pull this shit on everyone to advertise HDs as larger than they really are
WHEN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT COMPUTING KILO/GIGA/ETC DOES NOT CORRESPOND TO SI UNITS. IT IS MANUFACTURED BULLSHIT CREATED BY GREEDY COMPANIES.

END OF FUCKING ARGUMENT.

>5 megabits per second' or '5 mbit/s
there is no such thing as a 'millibit', user

'G' is the symbol of the 'giga-' (10^9) prefix. 'GB' is the symbol of the gigabyte, incorporating the 'G' prefix symbol.

'K' is the symbol of the unit kelvin. 'KB' is a faulty expression with no universally standardised meaning.

The SI is for all people at all times. It is not for any individual industry to usurp the standardised elements of the SI. If that slovenly practice was allowed to become widespread, the noble and praiseworthy purpose of the SI and objective of BIPM would be defeated. Because the SI is recognised universally, there can be no question of any deceptiveness on the part of storage manufacturers due to their compliant use of SI prefixes. On the contrary, they are due the same thanks as everyone else who facilitates the effective and unambiguous transfer of quantity-related information through compliant use of the SI and complementary international standards.

No, but it could be used as part of an expression to describe an excruciatingly slow transfer rate. You are quite right to imply that I intended to write '5 Mbit/s' though. Thank you for the correction.

So, it's right to use GB, but not KB because you claim it to be ambiguous and easily confused with Kelvin, correct?

KB
KiB
MB
MiB
GB
GiB
TB
TiB
PB
PiB
kilobyte, kibibyte, kilobit
megabyte, mibibyte, megabit
gigabyte, gibibyte, gigabit
terabyte, tibibyte, terabit
petabyte, pibibyte, petabit

It's right to use GB where appropriate because it is a valid combination of the prefix symbol 'G' and the unit symbol for the byte, 'B'.

It is wrong to use 'KB' because there is no prefix symbol 'K', and it is otherwise an invalid combination of the unit symbol for the kelvin (note lack of capitalisation), 'K', and the unit symbol for the byte, 'B'. Multiplication of units must be indicated by either a half-high dot or a space, precisely in order to prevent unit symbols from being misinterpreted as prefixes.

I was always under the impression b meant bit B meant byte

>KYS
Kill You're Self
Fucking nerds, ffs!

IEC 60027 - the first international standard to define the binary prefixes - specifies 'bit' as the symbol for the bit. ISO/IEC 80000 has since reaffirmed this.

normalfaggotry doesn't boost science
stay away, peasant

>there is no prefix symbol 'K'
Aah, now I see. So, 'KB' should really just be 'kB'. Thanks a lot, user.

Is it kbps or kBps or kibps, or even KB/s?

kB/s kiB/s kBs^-1 kiBs^-1 are all acceptable forms of kilobytes per second and kibibytes per second

Your options for describing transfer rates of that magnitude are
>kilo- (k, 10^3) or kibi- (Ki, 2^10)
>bit (bit) or byte (B)
>per (division is is indicated by a horizontal line, by a solidus (oblique stroke, /) or by negative exponents (multiplication is indicated by either a half-high (centred) dot (·) or a space between unit symbols))
>second (s)
i.e.: kilobit per second = kbit/s, kbit·s^-1, kbit s^-1
kilobyte per second = kB/s, …
kibibit per second = Kibit/s, …
kibibyte per second = KiB/s, …
Due to the limitations of Jow Forums, I can not readily depict division indicated by a horizontal line in these examples, but I'm sure you can envisage that yourself.

A space or a half-high (centred) dot (·) between unit symbols is required to indicate multiplication.

Attached: 1_jmJ1AIg_5EIYIFAPvtAoYA[1].png (1234x447, 21K)

gib

>Kibibyte
Fuck everything about this, a Kilobyte is and has always been 1024 Bytes. Take your heebie-jeebiebytes elsewhere.