Has anyone here put Linux on a Chomebook? I've just wiped ChromeOS and put Ubuntu on mine. Slackware...

Has anyone here put Linux on a Chomebook? I've just wiped ChromeOS and put Ubuntu on mine. Slackware, which I run on three other machines, proved very problematic but at least Ubuntu works.

Anyone else?

Attached: chrome-os-logo-dell-chromebook.jpg (1600x1200, 305K)

yeah I just used GalliumOS though, as it was the easiest distro to install

What are the advantages - does everything work well?

i've done this, as well, on an acer aspire c720.

>What are the advantages - does everything work well?
yes, everything Just Werks™

advantages of gallium? the dude that put it together designed it specifically to work out of the box on lots of chromebook specific hardware.

generic distros didn't handle some things very well, in my experience. required lots of udev fiddling and custom scripting to get buttons and touchpads to work.

mind you, this was a couple years ago. i'm sure generic distros have much better support merged at this point.

YMMV

Thanks for the info. Ubuntu works mostly well, though I'll look into Gallium. The biggest problem was the sound. Took me hours to work out how to get that to work.

When was there last an update to Gallium? Last I can see was in July.

I have it on an N22.
AMA I guess

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-16_16-10-19.png (802x443, 127K)

But OP, ChromeOS IS Linux

When was the last update?
Did everything work OOB and if not what didn't?
How easy was it to install and get the software that you wanted?

just booted up the one i had in a bin under my desk. this is what i've got.

Attached: Screenshot_20190216_173121.png (682x356, 34K)

>last update
The individual packages are frequently updated, but the entire thing is slow.
>Did everything work OOB?
Yes, but I needed an external keyboard during installation.
>How easy was it to get the software?
Re-flashing coreboot was a bit annoying, but the linux side of things is as easy as any other distro. Aside from the chromebook's retarded keyboard.

Very useful information and very much appreciated. Thank you, user. From what you say it doesn't sound different to my experience with Ubuntu, so I think I will stick with it You;re right, thy keyboard is a pain in the arse.

ChromeOS _is_ Linux.

What would you autists want OP to call it? GNU+Linux? But what if OP doesn't use GNU utils? What if he installs some other desktop distro that doesn't come with GNU utils?

If you buy one with a non-soldered ssd, you have to pay out the nose for the short m.2 sata ssds, or buy one old enough to use sata or msata. You either have to compile coreboot and tianocore yourself, or get them from random guys on reddit. Nothing ever works quite right because the keyboards are different, so you either have to rip the xkeyboard package from GalliumOS and pray it works the way it does on that, or live without various keys and make do. If you don't have one already, buying all of the good models is like navigating a minefield because the same model will have various CPUs, and RAM amounts are usually tied to the hip to the CPU model, and ebay kikes all salivate at the thought of sending you the wrong model despite having paid out the nose for the one you wanted. The ones worth buying, as in ones with removable SSDs because everything else is soldered nowadays, come out maybe once or twice a year, if you're lucky. All this for laptops that have about 4 hours of battery life despite improvements in hardware efficiency, which is what you'd get with a Thinkpad anyway. t. Owned too many Chromebooks

Attached: 1549091452112.png (580x582, 654K)

>like navigating a minefield because the same model will have various CPUs, and RAM amounts
yup, fuckin a. Same model has 2GB (or maybe 4) 16GB drive (or maybe 32), processor prob. out a fucking lucky bag, etc. Their only conceivable use is the ones run android, otherwise, struggling to see the point, be better off with the shittiest of e-machines laptops or whatever IMO

>Wanted a Dell Chromebook 13 because they supposedly had everything I wanted
>Amazing battery life
>Good Build Quality
>Removable SSD
>i5 & 8GB of RAM
>Find a bunch on Ebay
>Buy one
>Get it
>i3 & 4GB
>Return it
>Go to get a new one
>Literally every single one with an i5 and 8GB is being sold from the same location
>Buy another one from a seller with different pictures
>It's another one with an i3 and 4GB of RAM from the same place
>A bunch of ebay sellers just bought stock in some warehouse in Jersey
>Either the sellers don't know what they have or the warehouse employees are shipping out whatever
>Literally no other people are selling this laptop in any other configuration other than used ones with Celerons

This is not the first or only time I got kiked while buying Chromebooks off of ebay.

Attached: 1547751199786.jpg (790x767, 157K)

Gallium. Just works.
The only downside I have found is that the battery life is considerably lower.

But ChromeOS is GNU+Linux. But anyway, it isn't called GNU+Linux because of the GNU core utilities, it is because the OS stems from the GNU project, which had the goal of making a totally free clone of Unix and succeeded by adding Linus Torvalds' kernel.

chromeos is gentoo

Anyone who went from a nonworking touchpad to working? and how?

scope, doe.

Attached: 800px_COLOURBOX2335881.jpg (800x533, 77K)

The one who put together the Linux kernel and the GNU tools was Linus Torvalds. He's the one who can name this merging and he choosed to call it Linux (yeah, just like his kernel). Most Linux distros still are the same OS. Chrome OS is different enough to have it's own name

>The one who put together the Linux kernel and the GNU tools was Linus Torvalds.
No, the GNU project simply added Linux to their existing project. Don't be retarded, you little faggot.
>Chrome OS is different enough to have it's own name
No.