Why phones are getting dumber by the day...

Why phones are getting dumber by the day? the latest gimmick is adding more retarded cameras and lets not forget fucking glass backs. Why can't they make rugged phones a la red hydrogen but less retarded?

and why the f companies dont release phones with a dock ro something to use it like a full PC? the technology is there... s m h

Attached: latest gimmick MOAR cameras!.jpg (1200x800, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nextcloud
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

GIVE ME MORE FUCKING CAMERAS YOU LAZY FUCKS

>and why the f companies dont release phones with a dock ro something to use it like a full PC? the technology is there... s m h
Micro$soft tried...and Windows Mobile and Windows RT was proven to be a failure.

>2X optical zoom

I am calling bullshit on that.
More likely it just has double the focal length of the main camera.

>and why the f companies dont release phones with a dock ro something to use it like a full PC? the technology is there... s m h
samsung does this for the galaxy phones

Actually, more likely it has a smaller sensor (ie: higher crop factor) and a slightly longer focal length.

its a fixed 2x lens not an actual variable zoom
2x the magnification of the main camera

They are status symbols.

> Why can't they make rugged phones
They can, but few want them and even if you succeeded you'd possibly interfere with the 1-3 year replacement cycle of your customers.

> and why the f companies dont release phones with a dock ro something to use it like a full PC?
Because people who want phone UI want phone UI, not a PC with peripherals and keyboard/mouse control.

Buy a dedicated PC with peripherals/mouse control, run the usual desktop Linux or Windows or whatever rather than Android. It's a different set of software.

More people are choosing to use their phones in place of a dedicated DSLR with an actual lens. Until they figure something out that'll replace a proper lens, cameras will just get more cameras to make up for the difference their limited lens is capable of. Which is why you need four on a phone to do what one on a DSLR can achieve. But you can't stick a DSLR and lens in your pocket.

Yes, that's what I said.

"zoom" means you can change the focal length (technically without losing focus, otherwise it should just be called "varifocal").
Calling a prime lens "optical zoom" is false advertising.

Just use a rugged case, it'll handle anything you throw at it. Stop bitching

> to do what one on a DSLR can achieve
More like what a compact can achieve. The current MILC/DSLR with a good lens are far, *far* better.

> But you can't stick a DSLR and lens in your pocket.
Never mind good glass alone actually costs more. Of course the lazy cheap way (like compacts in the past) will be popular.

No they don't.
People use their phones in place of a point-and-shoot camera.

DSLR's and other "serious" cameras with interchangeable lenses are still very popular.
It's not for everybody of course, but it never was.

You're very out of touch with what your average person wants out of a phone. Not many companies build phones for ultra specific niches as the only way to make money is to make the product much more expensive which limits your market further. Thus why this sort of thing is done by contractors for the military more often than it is in consumer markets.

Normies weren't buying DSLRs in the first place. Their phone cameras is a replacement for a point and shoot. A phone now is better than a modestly priced point and shoot from a decade ago.

Because most of the people who use phones are dumb vapid attention seeking faggots.

People who want rugged phones are a shit audience because they also want to use that phone for years and years.
People who want a pretty phone right now plus a new one for Christmas are the preferred target group everybody goes after.

Just think about how much you spend on phone hardware per year and if it's less than $500 then manufacturers aren't interested in you.

and why the f companies dont release phones with a dock ro something to use it like a full PC? the technology is there... s m h

Ever hear of Samsung dex?

No one used these features on the phones that have had them so why would companies keep doing it?

>A phone now is better than a modestly priced point and shoot from a decade ago.
In some regards, e.g. resolution in good daylight and noise performance at night

In other regards it's still the $200 P&S from a decade ago, and in more regards not even that (that P&S usually had a cheap not very large zoom lens, which is why it was that bad - but they didn't defeat optics yet, and that lens was bigger than the phone's lens by a good bit).

A phone is better than nearly every point and shoot from the current year.
They have similar sensors but P&S tends to have worse apertures.

Enough with these bullshit camera gimmicks and just give us bigger sensors for fucks sake.
10 year old Nokias have bigger sensors than most of these modern fuckers.

Feature creep.

I'm only saying it exists and also Samsung has a line if "active" phones that are targeted at those who want something rugged

1. Get Chinese cheap & rugged enough phone for $150+.

2.Get Chinese ARM64 SBC or low end x86_64 with Linux. Attach the HDD/SSD you want.

Set up Syncthing or Nextcloud or such to sync files. You now have what you described in two devices, without the need to dock anything or the need to deal with Android on a keyboard&mouse or a dock.

Attached: ROCKPro-DesktopNAS-case3.jpg (600x600, 63K)

The optics needed for a larger sensor won't fit in modern ultra-thin phones.

At the most they could do an ultra-wide with a very simple design.
It won't be very sharp, vignette like crazy, and not be very practical (although I do love ultra-wides)

P&S generally have a far more zoom-y zoom lens. Of course they don't also have a constant wide aperture on top of that. You can only realize that with big as fuck high end MILC/DSLR glass that on its own costs twice as much as the P&S and smartphone.

That doesn't make the tiny lenses on a P&S better, they're just prime lenses rather than zoom lenses. And the markets are different now; people likely buy their P&S to get a zoom lens - they already got a basic low end setup with a prime lens on their smartphone.

Use syncthing it's free while nextcloud wants to limit you like a faggot

> while nextcloud wants to limit you like a faggot
You'd probably self-host it, on the ARM SBC or elsewhere.

I would self host it yes I'm not giving my files to some "provider"

Then I don't really get where you are limited by that option.

I didn't see any option on their site to self host

I'm not talking zoomed in.
The aperture when zoomed out is generally shit too, usually around f/3.5 vs. around f/2 on phones.

>people likely buy their P&S to get a zoom lens
Because they are retarded and don't know what makes a better camera.
Then they get so disappointed by the shitty image quality in anything but perfect lighting they go back to using their phone and never buy a dedicated camera ever again.

You didn't check very well then? It's ultimately hosted on github.com/nextcloud and they do have a good number of references on their website.

Also, you'd generally just install it through your Linux package manager anyhow.

Of course, but it has zoom, and that's why people would buy zoom cameras.

> Because they are retarded and don't know what makes a better camera.
Yes, obviously they're not buying FF MILC/DSLR with good glass either, but "premium" smartphones they replace every year or two, apparently.

Can't stop people from both using the easiest option and also reacting primarily to marketing.