I already know C, Python, Java, and Scala. Should I learn Rust or Go next? Or does Jow Forums have another suggestion

I already know C, Python, Java, and Scala. Should I learn Rust or Go next? Or does Jow Forums have another suggestion.

Attached: rust_go.png (1600x694, 1.62M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/matrix-org/dendrite.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends. Do you prefer to write "mutable" or "if err != nil" all over the place?

How could you possibly get memed into taking a toy language seriously? This has to be bait, right?
If you're actually serious (Y I K E S) the answer is Go.

If I called you a "retarded fag", would you agree more strongly with the first or the second word? First word, use Go, second word use Rust.

How about shipping a project instead of learning another language

Go, it's more useful and faster to develop even with its annoyances, which become more and more minor the better you get with interfaces

I use "if e != nil" in my own code. err is a fucking retarded abbreviation

Just the logo decision of Go makes me doubt any of the other decision they have made during the creation of it. It's like they intentionally want to appeal to woman and trannies.

What do you mean with "know"? Can you create and maintain code written in each of these languages?
Why not consider the D language? It appears to me it is more professional and has a better community than Rust, and more powerful than Go.
If I were you, I would give Go a try, since some of the projects I'm interested are being written in Go and could use some help, like github.com/matrix-org/dendrite.

I'd say Go because rust takes a lot from C++ and you don't seems to have any C++ knowledge
It also depends on what you want to do next.
if employment is your objective then Go.

I work with Go professionally.
It's good for CI/CD + server backends because it compiles so fast and the binaries can make it into like a 30mb Alpine container. You push to master and your CI Kubernetes memeshit takes over and you can have everything updated and deployed in like 40 seconds without any intervention.
The Go language itself is fucking terrible though, even if it is easy to work with in professional settings. I'd never use it for hobby projects though.

Gopher is the mascot, not the logo.

Attached: 154896214789874298745.png (1920x723, 52K)

Strongly recommend Go as a server side language.

I know C++ and Haskell, with many years in C++ and 2 in Haskell. I am interested in learning rust as a C++ replacement, but fear that it just isn't as popular as Go and I may not have many opportunities to use it.

What do you guys think? Is Go really worth trying, or is Rust going to be far more rewarding? My current project is about to be over and it would be nice to choose a new language for my next one. To my understanding, they both cover similar areas so I really am confused about which way to go.

Rust and go are very different. If you’re doing networking I recommend go. Rust is good for systems stuff, but it has a learning curve and it is hard to use the language features effectively

What do you use to build servers with Go though? Is there a commercial standard?
Usually I see people using the Gorilla/Mux toolkit in tutorials, but I also hear this toolkit is pretty old, and some of its packages are covered by the standard Go library now.

I was actually told that Haskell was better than go for networking and have enjoyed it a lot so far. Without knowing Go I can't compare so I'll have to trust you a little bit.

I guess the question should be: Haskell is my go-to language, and C++ is my fallback. I've heard that rust is a little bit of a mix between the two and I'm intrigued - should I learn it over go?

>I currently eat steak but I'm interested in knowing whether insect paste or tofu is a better substitute.

I agree, I love it how everyone on this board "knows" half a dozen languages.

Learn a foreign language and join the CIA so you can glow in the dark.

thanks for the chuckle but I don't actually get the joke lmao

CIA niggers glow in the dark

C++, D, Ada, Haskell

Do something productive with those

Read Terry Davis' biography or watch his video blogs on Jewtube

Retard here, can confirm. I leave trash all over the place and gophers just come and pick it up for me

rust has a lot more in common with functional languages than go, which is straight on imperative.
go is really simple, which sometimes gets very very annoying (if err != nil, no generics, no (native) map/reduce, etc).
it's not like rust doesn't have its own handful of quirks (.unwrap(), anything that has lifetimes becomes awfully unreadable, a lot of subpar/dead libraries), but at least it seems to be going forward.

>69832192
I am interested in Rust from a games programming perspective, it seems new but I like the thought of it going somewhere. I might give it a try. Thank you.

Go
Rust plans on changing so much that it'll never be used for concerns anything written will just become outdated

Everything I've read on rust is like 5 years old so like I kind of hoped they got it to a semi-stable stage now. Am I wrong? :(

I'd say Go. Rust seems promising but they're changing too much and I absolutely loathe Rust's syntax. Go does a bunch of shit wrong too, but it's a bit more tolerable.

i love all that unwrap/expect/match shit, error handling never felt so good

This!

It's prolly a zoomer learning syntaxes all at once.

Terry Davis explained that CIA niggers glow in the dark and he runs them over with his car.
It's about as good as his "niggerlicious" comments.

>if err != nil
Rust has that too. It just pretends to be more modern with syntactic sugar.

the language designers appear to agree go's error handling is trash

That doesn't mean what they're doing is completely different.

>mutable
In Rust, you just write "mut"