Okay, Jow Forums, let's solve this once and for all. Linux or Windows? Which is the better OS...

Okay, Jow Forums, let's solve this once and for all. Linux or Windows? Which is the better OS. I want a list of pros and cons on both sides. Keep hardware out of the discussion.

Attached: windows and linux.jpg (738x397, 25K)

Weird looking penguin

linux is a kernel
windows is a complete os
so windows is better by default
/thread

That's just where Linux is most prominent, Android.

>Google
>makes OS
>charges 30% fee to release software on their platform
>allows 3rd party software if you dig into settings
>if you want root you have to wade through a sea of shit to find the one singular special snowflake build for your singular special snowflake device
>update system is a complete clusterfuck and is left completely up to OEMs from china
>only Google's own devices get proper support
>at least releases security updates separately from OS updates
>zero variety if you want proper support on official hardware
>far cheaper pricing and better variety on 3rd party hardware if you're willing to sacrifice support
>if you go super cheap route you have to install some shit tier custom ROM where the accelerometer, GPS, camera, LTE, and half a dozen other functions are broken, but hey, that's the only way to get security updates on sub-$500 devices

>Microsoft
>makes an OS
>charges nothing to release software on their platform
>you can install absolutely any software or even another OS right out of the box
>every OS is always supported for 10 years MINIMUM, usually longer
>major OS updates separate from security updates
>all hardware supported from $10,000 workstations, custom built systems with trillions of hardware combinations, to $50 chinese tablets and all from a single ISO that installs with no fuckery needed
>you have full root/admin access as soon as you install the OS

I mean Linux, Google works on Linux and funds it extensively, but ChromeOS and other operating systems are also Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1548291192775.jpg (523x392, 109K)

No, the most popular forms of Linux do not use GNU at all.

You never mentioned Linux, broadening it from Android to Linux is retarded. Android is shit for the msot part.

Windows
Pros:
Almost every program is built for windows
Much more stable than (most) Linux distros
Easier to install than (most) Linux distros
Runs on almost any machine
Cons:
Costs
Proprietary
Lots of Spyware
Bloated
Ads in start menu by default

Linux (some points may vary depending on distros)
Pros:
FOSS
Not very bloated (can vary a lot)
Gives users more freedom
Lots of customization
Cons:
Less programs are made for Linux (windows programs can be used, but at the cost of performance and stability)
Harder install (can vary)
Harder to use (can vary depending on person, distro and DE)

>Weird r2d2 trashcan, windows logo.
You used the wrong image, guy. Clearly windows is better, you are so embarrassed by how bad Linux is you wont even use its logo.

Android isn't Linux or should we talk security and privacy.

>You never mentioned Linux
Read the OP.
Android is the most popular Linux distro, so I used it. Like I used Windows 10, the most popular Windows distro.

> Again arguing over what Linux is, and is not
> Fragmentation in hundreds of distros

This is why there will never be a year of the Linux Desktop. It's got nothing to do with which is technically better.

GNU > LineageOS > android (without google malware) > windows > Google's android

>if you want root you have to wade through a sea of shit to find the one singular special snowflake build for your singular special snowflake device
>update system is a complete clusterfuck and is left completely up to OEMs from china
>only Google's own devices get proper support
This is not an android issue, retard. It's (((ARM))) being poorly designed and utter garbage. Literally none of those issues apply to Android x86/CM x86.
ARM is shit and x86 is objectively better. This has nothing to do with android.

GNU/Linux is better than Windows 10 because it doesn't bother me, install suggested "apps" for me, spy on me, or do things to my computer without me wanting it to such as downloading updates.

Attached: 1542904829573.jpg (1273x1024, 219K)

Windows, at its core, is a complete clusterfuck made of shit and decades of technical debt, I wouldn't be surprised if some code from QDOS was still running somewhere in Windows 10. The "drives" system, the fucking registry, powershell, everything is made of shit.
But hey, it runs games.

t. Intel shill

Linux is already more popular than Windows, though.

AMD exists, you tinfoil idiot.

Why not MacOS?
I think it combines the best parts of both OS and thus is superior to them.

>Windows, at its core, is a complete clusterfuck
No. The NT Kernel itself is a pretty solid piece of software with many innovative ideas. The "problem" is all the stuff running on top of it. All of it because MS is forced to maintain compatibility layers with ass old legacy software and hardware.

1. They are tiny compared to Intel
2. Intel gets a cut of every x86 chip they make. Had you bothered to read the terms of their agreement you would have been aware of that.

>The NT Kernel itself is a pretty solid piece of software
Pajeets are so obvious these days.

Attached: 1545006981963.gif (500x355, 156K)

>Intel gets a cut of every x86 chip they make
End users don't need to care.

Intel shills need to, though. So you have just outed yourself.

Kys tinfoil autist. Stop shilling (((ARM))).

>Windows is more stable than Linux distros

Absolutely laughable

In all the years of using windows I've never run into a critical problem, unlike Linux.

Attached: Dh0QQEyUYAIxx1-.jpg (375x392, 19K)

Congratulations, you're retarded. One of the biggest reasons Linux is used in every relevant industry is because it's stable.

Linux is only better if you do scripting... Other than that, Windows is by far the better OS.

Use the best option for each use case, for me that's Windows on my desktop, Linux (Debian stable) on my home server and Android (Linux) on my phone.

Yes, LTS versions are stable, both for windows and Linux. However Linux is more likely to break (atleast in my experience) compared to windows when you're not using those. Also if you want to convince people starting the argument with an insult isn't a good strategy, no need to be aggressive. Cheers mate.

Linux is just a kernel

>Microsoft
>charges nothing to release software on their platform
They're working on fixing that particular 'bug'

Not really. If this were about headless server installs you'd be right, but once you get into the whole shitpile which is GUI Linux and graphics drivers there is plenty of instability and all kinds of issues to be had. Some of it is the fault of Linux itself and some of it is due to the way some hardware manufacturers act (NVIDIA), but the end-user experience is still worse than Windows.

Do all Linux distros even come with properly working VSync out of the box on multi-monitor setups yet, or have we still not reached that lofty summit as of yet?

Fuck off you GNU/Autist

>android us linux distro
google shills at its finest

>opens a thread to tell op to fuck off
you know you can hide threads, right? absolute state of winpajeets/mactoddlers

kys streetshiting andjeet

Pros:
Linux: More customization possibilities, more free software options, arguably more fun to use for hobbyists. Easy way to keep grandpa from downloading Windows viruses. Lots of distro choices. Versions than run better on older hardware. A true sense of community. Every aspect of your operating system is yours to do with as you please.

Windows: Wider compatibility for video games, more options for widely-known commercial software. Sometimes, the open source apps on Linux are also available for Windows.

Cons:
Linux: One must be more careful when choosing peripherals. Some software that you might need has no worthy open-source alternative, nor does the Win version run through Wine. No "hotline" to call for immediate help when your system needs fixing, you must rely on the mercy of the community. No warranty. Driver features (like Vsync on the desktop) simply don't work as well as they do on Windows, or the open-source driver app simply doesn't have the same features as on Windows (eg. - Creative Control Panel vs PulseEffects).

Windows: Spying/telemetry/targeted ads. Automatic downloads of bloatware. Updates that widely cause broken systems. Cannot take ownership of files, even when Windows confirms you own them. System settings separated between different settings menus (eg- the divide between Metro Settings and the Control Panel). Forced updates when you're busy working, or need access to your computer right away. You don't really own the OS, it's a "service." You aren't the customer, you're the product.

Desktop - Windows
Server - Linux
Mobile - Linux

Everything else is autism

>driver app

Attached: cringe.jpg (625x415, 36K)

What do you call Creative Control Panel, or Nvidia Settings? I don't know. If I'm an idiot, fine, but the GUI for the driver isn't the driver itself. What do you call it? LOL

>Creative Control Panel vs PulseEffects
>what is JACK
>what is Carla
>what is jackrack
>what is LADSPA
>what is LV2
>what is libgstviperfx
How about hardware configuration utilities?

>All your examples
No need to argue with me that Linux is better or has more choices, my friend. I'm using it right now. However, try setting the volume of each discrete channel of a 5.1 system, with EQ and compression, and add crystallization effects for high frequencies of music, all from JACK. Yeah. Exactly. That's why I compared it to PulseEffects. I'm talking about end-user (non-pro) configuration of an HTPC or gaming rig. The things in your list have more to do with DAWs in my experience, and the fact that Jack is used to interface with AD/DA converters is arguably another pro/con. Pro that things like Jack exist, Con because Windows users can just install drivers from the manufacturer to get them to work correctly.

>"hardware configuration utilities"
Point taken, but that's 11 syllables, user. "Driver app" is three. Since you knew exactly what I meant, I'd say it was effective communication. ;)

>However, try setting the volume of each discrete channel of a 5.1 system, with EQ and compression, and add crystallization effects for high frequencies of music, all from JACK.
>Yeah. Exactly.
Are you implying that's a difficult task?
>you knew exactly what I meant
I didn't know what you meant, I was only certain after you listed a few examples.

>Are you implying that's a difficult task?
I feel like you and I are not on the same page. I don't think the things I mentioned are difficult in either CCP or PE, but you compared my examples to Jack and several other audio plugin protocols that have nothing to do with my point. I literally can't do those things I mentioned in QjackCtl. Are you saying that you can? What version of Jack software are you referring to that can do those things?
I'm happy to learn something here.

linux is better in everything, but companies make software to run on windows only.