/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1485040163161.jpg (620x426, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-global
youtube.com/watch?v=vE-rESrH49Q
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat
twitter.com/LightYagami8888/status/1097357908105342976
youtube.com/watch?v=3BkkPhVeTp4
slickdeals.net/f/12847999-target-stores-verizon-24-mo-payment-plan-pixel-3-xl-18-75-mo-or-pixel-3-14-60-mo-w-postpaid-line-activation
ebay.com/itm/New-Verizon-LG-V30-VS996-P-OLED-6-0-4G-LTE-Smartphone-64GB-Silver/233132191142
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

friendly reminder recommending anything without a headphone jack is discouraged

I'm still using galaxy s3. What will serve me next 5-6 years if I decide to upgrade?
no apple crap pls

Need a cheap, somewhat reliable phone for secondary/burner use. Preferably something I could pick up most anywhere in the southern US, refill easilly, and that would maybe be unlockable in a few months time.

Moto E5 prepaid is $60

Anything similar to the Mi Mix 2s (pretty, premium materials, small bezels) but smaller?

Do any carriers not lock it down in such a way as to not be entirely unlockable? Otherwise it seems like the best thing going.

>What will serve me next 5-6 years if I decide to upgrade?
Something with good custom ROM support, because almost all devices get abandoned after 2 years.

does the lg v35 have good custom rom support

Most carriers require you to use the phone on their network for a certain amount of time before they'll unlock it.

There's no custom ROMs at all, since the bootloader isn't unlockable.

okay well maybe maybe someone can help me here
>good battery life
>400 dollar price
>ATT bands
>custom roms
>headphone jack with good volume output (very important)
>4 gigs of ram at least
>SD processor.
>OLED screen

No, S9 is the closest if you're willing to compromise on the materials.

LG V30 then. Most variants have bootloader unlocking.

I heard it has shitty screens though. viewing angles are bad and a reviewer I watched got 2 units with uneven lighting

S9 looks good. I'm fine with the look and materialst. How do the cameras compare?

alright lads, i have an upcoming choice to make.

i have an imeme 8 plus, i've had it for a year and a month now. i enjoyed it for the time i had it but i felt it was lacking in many ways. the usual apple restrictions left me a bit sour, and the battery is absolute shit right now. upgrade time rolled around with my carrier and i've been eyeing the note 9. is it a smart choice to switch to note 9? i'm not really interested in the useless 'bezel-less' punched in design the new samsung models are going for, and the note 9 seems like an incredible phone. however, every time i try to find an honest review it's always SEETHING iphone or samsungfags or some retarded tech youtuber (usually a pajeet) who uses the phone for a week and casts his ballot. i was hoping some of you could provide a little more honest insight.

Attached: 1390060043521.png (500x340, 271K)

S9 only has one, but it has both OIS a variable aperture IIRC which makes it take great pictures. It should definitely do better than the Mix 2S, at least until Xiaomi gives it whatever software magic they used for the Mix 3.

What launcher should I use on my pixel 3

I think the later production batches were better in that regard. Another option would be a Moto Z2 Play, but there really isn't much else with those requirements.

Hm, I like the size of the s9 better, but it's also like 140 euros more expensive.

So I like to play mobage weeb gachas. I would like to play on the highest settings and seeing my cute idols dance. Is there any good phone under $500 that will let me play and a decent camera?

Attached: DpGtC1vU0AApC7F.jpg (630x843, 84K)

what if I raise my budget to 600

Mi Mix 2s

That's like $700 I rather get a 1+

Can you do without the SD card slot? You could get a OnePlus 5T or 6.

>That's like $700
???
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-global

I figured it'd be closer to the 340 euros I'm paying for in europe.

>600
Just buy the OnePlus 6T for like $550

OP6 looks cool. is it hard to unlock the bootloader?

Nah, it's really simple, OnePlus is one of the most custom ROM friendly manufacturers

halp

What's a good site to buy it from?

How are you liking the Pixel 3? Upgrading from a LG G6 to it soon.

Loving it. The exact same phone I came from too

Planning to get a Moto G7 once it hits the US. Currently using Moto G5 plus.

Good choice or mistake?

Attached: tfwyouvagwallayano.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

How big is the difference between AMOLED and IPS? I want to get the Mi Mix 2s because it's smaller and prettier than the Mi Mix 3, but the latter has a supposedly nicer screen and camera.

Not really noticeable in general use, but night and day in the dark. Even the best IPS panels have their black looking washed out. Better power efficiency is also nice to have.

Hmm, doesn't seem worth the 140e difference in price. Thanks for the tip.

Is the Moto X4 any good bros? My note 4 is dying

Get the Moto G7 Plus or Nokia 7.1/7 Plus/8 if possible

Not that much with good color calibration for both. The only major advantage OLED has over IPS is the deeper black, due to it being the pixel itself being turned off. What most people, especially normalfags mean though when they say they prefer AMOLED is that they prefer Samsung's absurdly oversaturated default color profile on their AMOLED screen, popping colors and all that.

The redmi note 5 I got for my mom arrived yesterday.
I'm working on the configuration a bit before I give it to her.
I like the appearance of MIUI, they did a good job with that, but it's got a lot of bloat apps that can't be uninstalled and some options are way harder to access than they are on my MI A2.
I actually have to ask permission to xiaomi to unlock the bootloader and rootand they don't allow it if you haven't used the phone for at least a week, and I can't delete the bloat otherwise.
Has anyone here worked on a note 5 before? Where can I find instructions on bootloader unlocking and rooting without having to ask xiaomi?

Attached: JPEG_20190217_181448.jpg (1681x2993, 1.06M)

Hey guys, Just got my used Pixel 2. Is this SOT normal? Wondering if the battery is still good.

Attached: Screenshot_20190217-193114.png (1080x1920, 130K)

You'll have to post SOT first

Sorry, I'm a retard.

Attached: Screenshot_20190217-193811.png (1080x1920, 128K)

Anyone know how Cricket usually is with OTA updates? Thought they'd push Pie when ATT did but it's beginning to seem like they'll never update.

Mistake

> Where can I find instructions on bootloader unlocking and rooting without having to ask xiaomi?
You don't want to go down that path. In the past unofficial unlocking methods for Xiaomis used certain exploits that may have been patched out. These only existed in the first place as back then the entire process wasn't automated like now and you had to mail Xiaomi which could deny you the unlock and you'd have to resort to alternative methods. Nowadays this isn't worth it, as any update, including official OTA ones will result in a bootloop.

Yeah that looks about right, the battery isn't that big to begin with

This is pure fuck, having to request permission to use a product I already paid for.
Good thing I went with the android one model for myself, I was a bit regretful because the A2 has no audio jack, no expandable storage and a smaller battery, but the software makes it wort it..

Thanks!

It's actually very reasonable on their part, by adding that extra step they protect both their reputation and you as a customer. They need to know you aren't some chinky seller slapping malware on entire shipments of their phones. It used to be bullshit back when they weren't enthusiast friendly and you would have to practically beg to have it unlocked.

Should i take the flip phone pill?
>Looks made for business
>Is a fashion statement
> Phone limitations will naturally make you a more productive person who actually uses his phone for calling other people and other productive stuff

I just need one with android for stuff like whatsapp, which one should i get?

How much I the g7 plus

Gionee w909

Fedoras are also fashion statements.

youtube.com/watch?v=vE-rESrH49Q

Looking for a new phone for my mom.
>price $350 at max
>verizon
>good camera
>good battery

does the oneplus 6t use stock android?
if not how much bloatware is there, and is it forthe most part avoidable?
ive been using the pixel 2 for about a year now and tried to ungoogle it as much as possible and im wondering how much i could strip down all the useless bloat and features on the oneplus

>Galaxy S11.

Yea but that's odd numbered. Odd number Galaxy's are always dogshit.

But seven is better than six and nine is better than eight.

Reminder Mi Mix 2s is only ~$330 now and is a SD845 flagship with great everything and no stupid notch, no slider to collect dirt, and a front camera when you need it that you never use.

>seven is better than six

No.

>nine is better than eight

No. You could make a very good case for the note 9 being better than the note 8 but the s9 is not better than the s8.

And buying an S is always stupid anyway when for the past four years straight the note has been a noticeable improvement over the S.

im running NOVA and everytime i download an app it doesnt show in my drawer or search, the only way i can access it is through settings.
how can i add the app to my drawer?

So you are saying its worth it to buy the note 9 I have been looking at on amazon? Over a one plus 6t?

Reminder if you're not a neet manchild there is literally zero reason to spend more than $150 on a phone in 2019

Attached: xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-1.jpg?itok=MEMCjfnn.jpg (1600x900, 124K)

Ya let's see that play YouTube in stereo without headphones

Is the Mate 20 Pro worth the Chinese having access to my information? I would rather get a phone sold in America since the US government has access to my info already, but the Mate 20 Pro looks pretty great

Nova settings > advanced > restart nova launcher

>a fucking NOTCH

oneplus devices always have custom rom support. also the most memed xiaomi devices always do good(poco, redmi note 5/4/3 have had excellent support and redmi note 7 will probably aswell.)

why would a neet manchild have money to spend? I have a good job and lots of money so let me buy my expensive toys you bish

I have a hard on for those cheap xiaomi phones but unfortunately they removed their headphone jacks. otherwise would be perfect

Is the Moto G7 Power the best option if I'm coming from a Droid Turbo on Verizon and want a phone with a fuckhuge battery?

You could also get one of the Moto Z-series phones, with a battery MotoMod the total battery capacity is 5000-6500mah depending on which mod you use.

>Moto G7
it'll be DOA if they're planning to sell it for $300 in the US. Moto X4 has similar specs and you can get it for $200 right now.

>it's got a lot of bloat apps that can't be uninstalled
They can be removed with ADB which doesn't require an unlocked bootloader, someone even made a program to automate the debloating:
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/debloat

twitter.com/LightYagami8888/status/1097357908105342976

Evertything fukin leaks what's the point of hosting a keynote for that anymore?

The video's removed but I'm guessing it's this?

The video's removed but I'm guessing was this?

yes

Target has the Verizon Pixel 3 on sale for $350 at the moment, you have to take it on a device payment plan but you can pay it off after 14 days:
slickdeals.net/f/12847999-target-stores-verizon-24-mo-payment-plan-pixel-3-xl-18-75-mo-or-pixel-3-14-60-mo-w-postpaid-line-activation

If you want to get the phone outright then LG V30 is probably the best option:
ebay.com/itm/New-Verizon-LG-V30-VS996-P-OLED-6-0-4G-LTE-Smartphone-64GB-Silver/233132191142

I'm either getting the Pixel 4 XL or the Oneplus 7T this year, is it based?

Lol how can you make a case for the S6 when the damn thing lagged to hell during those two hours of SoT it had.

>seven is better than six
>No.
wtf are you smoking? S6 was one of the worst Galaxy phones. No SD slot or IP rating (which both S5 and S7 had) and absolute dogshit battery (what where they thinking giving it a

Now that Daddy Google has decided on my behalf that I can't have a call recorder app, what phone maker has a built in call recorder in their firmware?

Oneplus phones come with Oneplus's own Android skin OxygenOS. It's based on stock Android with some UI changes and added features, and is pretty lightweight and bloat-free. One of the best Android skins IMO. Oneplus phones are also dev friendly so there's plenty of custom ROMs available. If you want to completely de-google your phone then simply installing a custom ROM without Gapps would be the best option.

Xiaomi's MIUI has call recording

so i found this picture

Attached: trust-the-vibes-you-get-energy-doesnt-lie-listen-to-25281346.png (500x562, 169K)

im on a sd617 phone with 2gb ram.

good idea to buy a sd845 phone now, or wait till 855 comes?

looking for something that'll last me at least 3 years.

Attached: sd_855_main_1544011082_618x347.jpg (618x347, 25K)

> does the oneplus 6t use stock android?
It uses oxygen OS.
> if not how much bloatware is there
Standard Google apps plus some OnePlus ones. OnePlus apps are one for backup and OnePlus forums. Also one weather app, calculator, phone app, SMS app. Every app except phone can be removed without root.

Attached: 1550486128538.jpg (1080x2340, 359K)

wait at this point, the first SD855 phones are coming soon, Galaxy S10 and Xiaomi Mi9 will be announced on the 20th, then several more phones being announced at MWC.

Oh, I've forgotten Google pay. I don't know why it was installed. Also, it can't be removed.
I don't care since I use it daily basis

Upboating Oneplus

My sister still has her OP3 bought at launch, still getting official updates too

Pocophone

> No NFC

You're better off getting an X4 if you want Moto
Or G7 Power, it's 720p but that way you can get more GPU performance of you plan on gaming

Why would you need NFC if you spend all your money on gacha pulls?

race traitors

What