Why hasn't the breaker evolved at all?

Attached: 1549271086316.png (1038x797, 839K)

But it has, zoomer

if it aint broke dont fix it

spbp

They fucking have you retard.
>What are GFCI breakers
>What are arc-flash breakers

They have. It's like a screw driver. You can get the black and decker kind and burn down your house, you can get the kobalt kind and get the job done, or get the snap on type and show your breaker panel everytime your friends come over.

>no tandem breaker

My house was built in the 30s and doesn't have a breaker, it has some sort of ceramic plug on which you have to put on some cooper strands and it acts as some kind of fuse.

I had that too in my old house. The power company swapped them out for breakers for free though.

I had that in my 70's flat. I wonder how safe they are compared to the breaker

>they bridged the broken ceramic fuse with copper
lel

>ceramic plug on which you have to put on some cooper strands
>>they bridged the broken ceramic fuse with copper
RIP

desu the whole place was sketchy as fuck. The toiled flooded frequently, the water heater broke often, some windows were broken and replaced with clear acrylic, nearby there was some sort of research center with a giant chimney that sometimes smelled like burnt rotten chicken, I got sued by the downstairs neighbor because I "walked too loudly at night", and after the 2010 earthquake the doors got sticky and the floor became notoriously uneven.

Lol. If you have no idea, just keep your mouth shut.
To educate yourself, find out how fast RCDs turn off usually these days.
Afterwards plot the trigger time of a casual RCD on a time strand and compare it with a sine wave using your local net frequency and voltage.
As soon a there is some current loss, they switch off, they are super fast!
>but the good old circuit breaker has not evolved
Wrong. Higher switching capacity, more operations before failure, cheep af...

Dear reader,
If you say stupid shit like OP, you lack of knowledge or your country has not evolved and is unsing outdated technology.

>2010 earthquake
Chile or haiti?

Chile

It has.
Modern circuit breakers can trip significantly faster than ones from, say, 30 years ago (unless it's a deliberately slow tripping model), can handle much higher currents due to internal arc breakers (standard 18mm wide breakers can be rated up to 125A), and safety features like GFCI and overvoltage protection are now common. Most importantly though, circuit breakers became cheap enough that you can have separate breakers for every room or even every individual outlet.

If it has a screw-in holder like this, you can throw the ceramic plug and replace it with a screw-in circuit breaker. They're usually shitty but far better than a handmade fuse.

Attached: electrical-cutout-cartridge-ceramic-fuse-450w-747501469.jpg (450x320, 12K)

This is the electrical box outside my apartment. It doesn't even have a lock

Attached: DSC_0001-2.jpg (1000x1333, 162K)

my parents house was made in 1959, and to this day (afaik) has ancient ceramic fuses
for the longest time i only heard about breakers in american tv shows, and i've never had to deal with them personally, so i'm not really sure how they work

1 breaker, doesnt this trip all the time ?

its fine as long as you dont put it too tick coper it still works

just how bad is your shit if you care at all how advanced your breaker is?
if it trips often enough that you even remember where the box is, you have bigger problems
i've never in my life had to reset a breaker

>something hasn’t evolved because it lacks a touchscreen and WiFi capabilities and is way too reliable
I’m taking a wild guess this is op’s attitude

25A x 230V = 5.7 kW. Unless I deliberately do something stupid like turning on multiple space heaters plus a washing machine, it doesn't trip. Also, the distribution box inside the apartment has smaller breakers/RCDs for sockets and lighting, those should trip first if something goes short circuit.

Circuit breakers with wireless capabilities do exist though

Attached: Powertag005.jpg (600x300, 26K)

>leviton breakers
>not square d or eaton
Enjoy your house fire.

>5,7 kW
Type C characteristics, so it could even be 8,3 kW for quite some time before breaker gets triggered
>RCD should trip if short circuit
RCD has nothing to do with short circuit, but I guess you know that already

230V so I'm guessing you're not american but still only have a single phase supply?

Stuff like that doesn’t intrude on the normal operation of the breakers and is made with pure utility in mind, unlike if you decided to let some zoomer in silicon valley design a house breaker panel

They're combined breakers/RCDs like this.

What kind of household appliances require a 3-phase supply? Unless you have all-electric heating, there's no point.

Attached: 10065457_01.jpg (800x800, 30K)

Oh but that shit exists too

Attached: TB1c7m_aDJYBeNjy1zeXXahzVXa.jpg (1280x720, 45K)

Phaselets

>They're combined breakers/RCDs like this.
I know, and i like RCBOs. But still, RCDs hat nothing to do with over-current protection.
>What kind of household appliances require a 3-phase supply? Unless you have all-electric heating, there's no point.
Require? None.
But if you have a electric garage door or any other motor or if you cook with heat, 3 phases are good and useful.
And if any house is using all 3 phases then the overall load on the grid gets better distributed.

>But if you have a electric garage door
Well as I've said, it's an apartment, not a house. I cook with gas, but most electric stoves here are also single-phase - since a single substation typically supplies a whole city block with hundreds to thousands of apartments, the phase load can be balanced without the extra cost of wiring all three phases in each apartment.

>the phase load can be balanced without the extra cost of wiring all three phases in each apartment
That is an good argument. But here it is another situation and I think it makes sense to supply all 3 phases.

Why should it? Most people are stupid and it is best to keep it simple.

>change the circuit breakers from black to gray
>"it's more approachable"
Is Jow Forums behind this?

You flip a switch if you overload it which causes it to flip off for safety. That's it.

I think we should put twitter and facebook on all of our breakers. Like we did with the phones, cars and fucking fridges

Circuit breakers and distribution boxes were changed from black to gray/white to make any arcing or burnt insulation immediately obvious through soot.

leviton makes good whole house surge protectors though

hired as product manager!

This zoomer has never seen a fuse

i didn't know chile is such a shithole?

Attached: sFRwh6l[1].jpg (910x768, 119K)

looks like 3-phase in tho, hes tapping a single phase (the new-ish 25A on the red 16A cable), the black antique is doing fuck knows what and there be a phase free. Be np 3x25A, more dubios about earth and stuff tho. The fug is this anyway?

Looks like a penny or nickel would fit nicely.

>house made in the 50s (it's old for California)
>my breaker has all sorts of weird shit going on
>Half the house has new wiring
>Half the house doesn't
>I'm running at least 2000w from one socket somehow and it's not tripping anything or generating heat or problems
>This socket is from the old wiring
>The breaker switches are linked for some and others aren't
>It's like a hack together job that still somehow works very well
>But if I run the vacuum, microwave and air conditioner/heater at the same time it blows the fuse
>But only for half the house
I don't understand how this works. I just know half my house has no groundimg ot ground pins even if it does have grounding and I'm asking to get fucked for it

Sometimes a breaker won't prevent your house burning down.
The power point was hot.

Attached: Image2.jpg (992x744, 113K)

You'd think that being one of the last countries to get electricity would convey some safety improvements. Apparently it isn't so.

what is that?

you're pulling between 15 and 20 Amps. Old wiring was probably rated for 15 but can reasonably be expected to handle 20. You shouldn't add any more load though.

Breakers work essentially the same as fuse boxes, if it gets overloaded then you just flip the switch back into its normal position instead of replacing a burnt fuse

sound convenient, but how often do you need to do that? it's not like pulling a fuse out and fitting new wire is all that hard/time consuming

GFCI are garbage though I work with them all the time in industry setting.

The ones in the machines my company builds use ethernet so the software can monitor the breakers, current load, voltage etc. Makes troubleshooting much easier.

>Why hasn't the breaker evolved at all?
actually..they have evolved into a situation whereby, they now never need replaced, and altering them (by addition of artificial obsolescence) would be dangerous af, as your average Joe is better than 50-50 to toast himself trying. Thus, you accidentally ended up with the perfect product. It doesn't 'evolve' because, it doesn't fucking need to - it just werks, and 'improving' it till it no longer does, like they do with every other fucking thing, would bring too many lawsuits involving housefires, fried ded ppl and other unfortunate incidentals

It stops retards from replacing fuses with coins

Only very unusual situations, like what I've experienced.

My roommate has a monster of a PC. We're talking 1600 watt power supply here. On it's own, that computer is not enough to overwhelm a circuit, but if it was under 100% load for a sustained period of time, and if the rest of us were using our own lights and computers (the entire upstairs was on a single circuit) then the breaker would flip. This used to happen on a weekly basis, sometimes twice a week. I actually bought a UPS to guard my desktop against the constant shutdowns. Over the summer of 2018 though, he got his parents (they own the house) to hire an electrician to rewire the ENTIRE electrical system, telling them them it was "dangerous". It was done in such a way that his room is now on a separate circuit with No. 12 wire and a 20-amp breaker capable of handling 2.4 kilowatts. Needless to say it's sufficient and we haven't had another issue.

>rewiring the room
kek I replaced my 15amp breakers with 20amp when they kept tripping because of window ACs around the house
No issue since

Unless you put in a thicker gauge of wire, my guess would be that it's dangerous to just swap out the 15 amp breakers with 20 amp ones. The idea is to flip the breaker if the electrical load is too much for the wiring to handle, not if it's too much for the breaker to handle.

All the outlets in my house are on one circuit. If I run the toaster oven and the microwave at the same time the breaker trips.

>my guess
>guess
15->20A prob in the realms of the acceptable, when not exactly legal. Housefire, w/e + insurance may have some issues tho. Better just running another circuit/extension from somewhere less used

For most people there's no need. More advanced breaker panels have existed since the 70s.

I don't understand any strange words itt but I feel that I should at least learn about electricity just in case.

You are absolutely right. Fuses are just for protection of the wires.
Usually it won't get dangerous if your replace a 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp one. But if your house Burns down you are fucked and in debt for the rest of your life, because the insurance won't pay anything.

i forgot that in the land of the amerifats you need three phase just for simple shit like that. my fucking sides. you also need three phase for quick charging electric cars as 110v charging takes fucking forever.

America stuck with it's 110v grid, forever.
Or do you think they could handle to double the voltage?

You're an idiot.

only burgerland could have so outdated af shitty looking breakers

Attached: bk.png (897x622, 898K)

Australian power socket

not really, do a voltage drop calc first

BECAUSE IT WORKS
FUCK OFF WITH YOUR IOT-SMARTBREAKER-NODEJS-ELECTRON-ANDROID APP

These fucks are already expensive as fuck due to requiring GFIs and fucking AFIs now
They are so damn expensive you wouldn't believe
and for what? so you can survive a toaster in the bathtub?
Go fuck yourself

>survive a toaster in the bathtub?
more likely an Echo, or some similar creep BS they take bathing with them just in case a special on multi-carton toenail floss gets AUDIBLY ANNOUNCED

>didn't know the girl dead in the bath with her cellphone charger
you heartless monster

>schrack

This is going into my crimping compilation

So you're saying we should be using rocks to hunt animals? This comment is the most retarded thing I read all day.

I had a shitty century old apartment once. if I ran the computer and the microwave at the same time the breaker would trip and id have to go down to the basement to reset it. bad times

In practical terms, they are not any less safe, but having to buy fuses and replace them is an inconvenience.

lmao I've heard of people doing that to their cars but doing it to an overloaded circuit in a house is next level retarded

GIGA
DRILL
BREAKER!

Attached: 1d1c38e5465f777de8ce78f3947b0749.gif (500x281, 1.98M)