What is XMPP?

>What is XMPP?
Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) is a communication protocol for message-oriented middleware.
Unlike most instant messaging protocols, XMPP is defined in an open standard and uses an open systems approach of development and application, by which anyone may implement an XMPP service and interoperate with other organizations' implementations. Because XMPP is an open protocol, implementations can be developed using any software license and many server, client, and library implementations are distributed as free and open-source software.

>What client should I use?
Get Conversations if you are on Android, Gajim or Pidgin on desktop PC.

>How do I join this Jow Forums groupchat?
Here is the link: xmpp:[email protected]?join

Attached: xmpp.png (220x226, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewserver.club/configuring-a-modern-xmpp-server.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you don't join us, you're gay

Who is paying you to make this thread every day?

>doesn't support sticker packs
>no video or voice chat
>no free servers in 1 click
>no game overlay

Attached: zoomer not happy.png (434x327, 37K)

gay desu senpai gas gas gas

MQTT is superior in every way

It does support your harddrive, hopefully the biggest stickerpack available

What does XMPP do that much better than Matrix, other than server resource usage?

Server resource usage. Also the clients aren't bloated javascrupt pieces of shit.

Matrix has Nheko, weechat-matrix, etc., which aren't bloated javascript pieces of shit.
If these two are the main advantages, I'll probably stick with Matrix for now. XMPP sounds like it has some nice features, but the lack of support for all the important extensions in many servers and clients sounds like a big pain in the ass.

homebrewserver.club/configuring-a-modern-xmpp-server.html

Conversations for Android and ChatSecure for iOS

Please dont use it and support that nerdy shit whats the bloody point if i cant easliy get it and use it or remeber the login data

Jesus its too similar to mail and last time it ended with mass spam

Hm? The two major servers both have complete support for all extensions. For clients you have profanity, conversations, pix-art, gajim, dino and pidgin kind of. The point of lighter server resources still stands. I wouldn't be able to self host I were to use matrix.

The problem is getting everyone to use servers/clients with these features, though.
What's the chance that some random person using XMPP that I want to talk to will use a client that supports e.g. OMEMO? On the other hand, not supporting E2E encryption in Matrix is considered a client deficiency.
Another issue with XMPP is that it's relatively stale as a protocol. The theoretical benefit would be that everyone has settled on a set of common features, but that doesn't seem to be the case in practice. On the other hand, Matrix is still in development, which means that in the future, it can end a significantly superior protocol, so it makes more sense to me to back it for the long term gain.
Note that I don't hate XMPP or anything like that. I've really tried to push it with some of my acquaintances a decade ago or so, but the few that used it let it go after the death of Google Talk. I just doubt that it's better than Matrix as the open and federated chat protocol that should become the most common one.

Also whats the bloody issue with someone know what i searched on google blabla bla i have adblock all they want is to give me shitty ads for me because they can get in every holl and do it because why not its could help us sometime

> (OP)
>Who is paying you to make this thread every day?
He is just a fat normie

>What's the chance that some random person using XMPP that I want to talk to will use a client that supports e.g. OMEMO?
Almost 100% because clients that don't support omemo are most likely abandoned anyways and ugly as fuck because they didn't receive any design updates in quite some time. Normalfags wouldn't go for them in the first place.
Also yes, in theory the pro focal could change to be superior to anything else. In practice, xmpp is used behind every major industry messaging application and I doubt that they'd chosen it if it wasn't a very good design

>every major industry messaging application
Really? These days I only see Slack, Discord, Skype, Telegram, WhatsApp, Signal, Wire, etc. among people I know, both in tech circles and among normalfags. The sanest thing people use are email and IRC, both without encryption.
I wouldn't mind it if XMPP was used by everyone, but I don't see how I could get any more success trying to push it instead of Matrix, especially since very few of these people would self-host a server.

>what is XMPP

Something that no one actually uses, yet this one dickhead keeps starting these threads.

Every single XMPP client other than PixArt is utter shit.

Nothing. XMPP is literally just email. Matrix has calls, video calls and group calls.

Matrix itself does not host these calls, it just serves as a signaling protocol for e.g. Jitsi Meet. IIRC, XMPP can do something similar.