Why do electric Teslas lose 40% range in the cold?

Attached: 1535353482256.jpg (1024x1043, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

designnews.com/electronics-test/cold-resistant-lithium-ion-battery-developed-functions-minus-40-degrees/153122864258157
hemmings.com/blog/2013/07/18/cars-of-futures-past-ford-nucleon-concept/
fujitsugeneral.com/us/residential/technology/xlth-low-temp-heating.html
climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
jcronline.org/doi/full/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-16A-00005.1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's almost like the cold affects the chemical reaction happening inside the batteries...

I licked a negro once

So why not put the battery in a thermos

What did he taste like?

This

because it's better and cheaper to putting a heating element in there to offset the cold

butteries.
how do they work Jow Forums

Attached: file.png (800x450, 152K)

Battery use power to make heat so battery can make more power?

It happens to every EV, it'll still be a problem with solid state batteries too.
The reaction slows inside the battery when its cold. This alone has an impact on the battery's discharge performance. Ideal discharge happens in a fairly narrow range of temperatures, and so the vehicle has built in mechanisms to heat its own battery, this is a tremendous power waster.
Some people have taken to putting electric heaters in the trunk of their EV, or directly under them to "pre condition" them before starting them up on a cold day.

There is no short or even immediate term solution to this issue. A 300 mile rated Tesla will only have half its range if its driving on perfectly flat clear highway roads if its 20f outside. If you were to stop anywhere and park the car, letting the battery cool, as if you were spending the day out shopping, then the range would be even worse. If its any colder than 20f the battery performance can diminish even further. A 300 mile rated EV can in effect have just a 50~ mile range on a normal cold winter day.
Adding more battery capacity to offset this is really all they can do.

Why all this talk of chemical when battery can he mechanical or battery can be nuclear

OR, you can improve battery technology:designnews.com/electronics-test/cold-resistant-lithium-ion-battery-developed-functions-minus-40-degrees/153122864258157

A pre-heating system that uses these low-temp Li-Ion cells to warm the primary battery bank would do fine.

Lithium ion batteries are negatively affected by cold temperatures.

Currently the best solution to a tricky problem.

Because they don't use either of those and they do use chemical reactions.

you still need to heat the human and there is no way around it, a gas car in fact approaches 100% efficiency the colder it get's

I am a nigger. a black one too

I own one. There are two real reasons:
1. Cold affects the battery. ICEs actually have the opposite problem, where they are less efficient at higher temperatures.
2. Unlike an ICE, where cabin heating is "free" (you need to cool the engine anyway, might as well dump some of it into the cabin), an EV has to generate that heat from scratch. This is actually a bigger reason than #1.
The AAA study found that driving at 20F only lost 12% range compared to 75F. But when they turned the heater on, it dropped by 41%. I can confirm these are pretty accurate. I get about 330Wh/mile normally and about 540 in the cold with the heater on.

Also, to add to this: The actual percentage drop depends on driving patterns. Climate control energy usage is generally a fixed amount versus time, whereas drivetrain energy is more related to distance (especially seeing as EV engines don't idle). Thus, city driving will be hit harder, while highway driving isn't as bad. To put it another way: if you're at a standstill, you'll still be using the same amount of energy to heat the car as if you were going 70 on the highway.

>But when they turned the heater on, it dropped by 41%
oh no no no no

Attached: 1359877122938.jpg (664x703, 39K)

is the tesla a heat pump or resistive heating?

Resistive. Heat pump would certainly be more efficient if it were just a little cold, but those things go to shit when it's frigid.

because those wont work well in current cars

I played fallout 3 and they had nuclear cars

hemmings.com/blog/2013/07/18/cars-of-futures-past-ford-nucleon-concept/

>20f
When the fuck will you rednecks stop with this retard burger units.. Blyat

Attached: terrorists_win.jpg (453x604, 65K)

>Resistive
wew lads, good heat pumps are fine to -15f
fujitsugeneral.com/us/residential/technology/xlth-low-temp-heating.html

Burger units are just comfier. Why would we use science units in everyday life? We're not in a science fiction movie

You'd think cold air would make them more efficient, actually.

The batteries regain the majority of the lost capacity as they heat up through normal driving. Not as bad of an issue as people make it out to be, though it is definitely something to consider.

The same reason they gain 40% in the hot.

is that the equivalent of "form over function"?

American units make no sense in any facet of life, because they are their own points of reference. 20f means literally nothing. 0C means the freezing point of water. It means something. 20C means 20% of the temperature between freezing and boiling. It's tangible. America needs to ditch its nonsensical units. It's the only country that uses them.

>20C means 20% of the temperature between freezing and boiling.
How often do you use this?

> It's the only country that uses them.
How is this an argument against them? Czech republic is the only country that speaks Czech should they switch to something more relevant?

0c is freezing point for water
100c is boiling point
Actual range of meaningful temperatures in relation to weather is fucking small. This isn't the case with Fahrenheit. The Fahrenheit scale makes more sense than anything else for the range of temperatures people experience in day to day life. Only literal retards fail to grasp this concept. Are you an actual sub 80 IQ too impaired to function without caretaker assistance genuinely retarded, pal? Odds are you might be.

Seething, your temperature scale doesn't care about you, burger.

Uhhhhh no retard. You don't get it because you're a retarded American. 17c to 25c is nice and anything on either site is hot or cold. Compare this to, say, 77.9f. It means literally nothing. It doesn't tell you if it's hot, cold, or fine. It doesn't indicate if you should put on a jacket, wear shots, or turn on a fan. It's meaningless.

>17c to 25c is nice and anything on either site is hot or cold. Compare this to, say, 77.9f. It means literally nothing. It doesn't tell you if it's hot, cold, or fine. It doesn't indicate if you should put on a jacket, wear shots, or turn on a fan. It's meaningless.
what if these systems were used by fire people

In Fahrenheit scale 32 is freezing point, 100 would be a very hot summer day. We have a span of 70~ degrees without needing to use decimals to relate the air temp outside above the freezing point.
You are demonstrably a full on violent retard.
Your entire line of argumentation isn't based in fact, you're just wining because you're not familiar with the scale for reference. You literally do no have an argument.

>hurr guys is pretty warm out, feels like a balmy 22
>Nah, yer fookin loony, m8. Its proper 23.1.
>duuurrr metric so good innit

fahrenheit has a better binary representation.
2^2 + 2^4 + 2^6 + 2^7 = 212 = boiling
2^5 = 32 = freezing

decimal is fucking meaningless and ugly.
there is absolutely nothing special about the number ten.

Base ten systems exist for brainlets.

Different degrees have a tangible difference in Celsius. In Faggethieght it means nothing. There's no perceptible difference between 55 and 56f. This is another example of why America needs to ditch its archaeic imperial system.

>Fahrenheit is now bad because it has too much precision
You're a laughing stock. Holy shit.

Burgerland laughs at the world for using metric

You sure the world isn't laughing at your idiotic system instead?

that's not what he said now is it?

you went from saying you didn't need decimals to convey how temperature feels to whining about accuracy. quads were wasted on your cancer.

Thats exactly what he said you dumb little child.
Whining that 1 degree difference in air temp isn't perceptible to skin. it is by the way. His piss poor attempt at making an argument was claiming that the scale was too precise, that single unit deltas were impossible to feel. Its both categorically false and a patently low IQ argument.

Why are you absolute nigger retards so intent on further proving just how impaired you are? Its like you're just begging someone to put you out of your misery.

And then it will overheat in warm weather and become a fireball.

>1 degree difference in air temp isn't perceptible to skin. it is by the way

right... must be all that iq you supposedly have, it even made you impervious to the reality of your own retardation

Still better than maintaining engine oil, transmission oil, and a liquid cooling system. Way better for the environment.

>293 is 20% of 393
>Oh but it is if you center your scale around pure water

>t. ev cuck

>t. big oil cuck

lol enjoy $5.00/gal gasoline again when republicans invade Venezuela

How well do they handle high temperatures? Like in the Australian summer.
Considering if EVs are worth it.

>This is what Ameritards really believe

Ok bro, so you're saying that:
>"Well, y' know, 0F is like, really cold, and 100F, is actually really hot"
makes more sense than:
>"Water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C"
?

Approxomating is for niggers. "Hot", "cold", and "really" are subjective terms, not definitive. And this goes on for everything in the imperial system (inch, foot, yard, mile, ounce, gallon, or whateverthefuck). That's the thing that bothers me the most. The other thing it being non-practical, or what burgers call "non scientific". Explanation is pic related: we get this logic set in our brains for the whole life and everything makes sense to us, while you just suck those units up and take them for granted. Metric exists to define things, imperial to primitively describe them. Fucking American education

Attached: 54745_metric-vs-imperial-funny.jpg (640x480, 61K)

I really wanted to get into EV but theres too many problems and at first I thought it was cost efficient until realizing how much a battery replacement costs

Doubt it they're already sanctioned

>Why would we use science units in everyday life?
Coming from the same people who say "I don't believe in man made climate change". There's nothing to believe in it's a scientific fact. Holy shit the gene pool needs freshening in red states.

your measurements are misleading because the boiling point of water depends on many other factors, such as the air pressure. meaning you can have water boiling at under 100c

THIS TIMES A MILLION

would you rather say
>its a cool 77 outside!
or
>according to my calculations its exactly 25 degrees celcius

shit just reeks of lameness and old man boomertalk

What the fuck kinda young adult novel bullshit have you decided to bring in for cross examination? Are you also supposed to think about the flow rate of the propane coming out of your pipe for that example or the amount of energy that breaking those hydrocarbon bonds releases into your leaf water?

BASED

>in our system water always boils at 100c, making math calculations convenient and easy

Attached: celcius.jpg (952x787, 89K)

Celsius is based.

Faghiet is cringe.

>50~ mile range on a normal cold winter day.
So on an exceptionally cold -20 to -30C day the car would last like 5 miles? That's pretty shitty. When it gets that cold my car's new battery can barely turn my starter.

celcius faggots cant adjust their AC/heater in increments fine enough to get the perfect temperature. most ACs just go by full numbers so you cant get it perfect. in glorious america we dont have this problem. 75 is perfect, 76 too warm and 74 too cold. my room would be literally unlivable with a yuroper AC

>based on standard sea-level atmospheric pressure
>still changes with altitude
The absolute state of burger science

> scientific fact
lol found the brainlet repeating what his TV and social media tells him to.

23C is the perfect tempurature. Quit living in the past, you American pig.

They don't have a single cogent argument against Freedom units. Its just cope and envy.
Fahrenheit is monumentally superior for day to day use given the range of temperatures people can survive in. Its a system of measurement actually relevant to lived reality, a truly forward thinking and patrician system.

Only discord trannies disagree.
Theres no such thing as transitioning. They'll always just be ugly men lol

Waste heat from the electrical system will heat up a human just fine.

imagine living in a climate where 6 months of the year going outside will kill you and even worse ruins the range of your electronic vehicle

>my room would be literally unlivable with a yuroper AC

Attached: The.Simpsons.S15E22.Fraudcast.News.1080p.Bluray.x265.AAC.5.1-ImE[UTR].mkv_snapshot_04.45_[2019.01.16 (1440x1080, 146K)

> choosing your temperature gauge based on what makes it easier to use a kettle
kek.

Literally everything is relative. You still have to learn how it /feels/ at 40C just like 100F. Welcome to society bucko, enjoy the ride.

tesla's are averaging around 10% degradation at 200k+ miles. That's usually with supercharger abuse too.

> 17c to 25c is nice
> Compare this to, say, 77.9f. It means literally nothing

Both are equally meaningless you absolute brainlet. You have /learned/ how to understand each. Also the boiling temperature of water has little to do with your day to day life so you've said
> "lez replace one set of arbitrary figures with another because I learn dis as a babby"
You have no frame of reference for your own thoughts or existence.
Colour me: amused.

at one atmosphere clearly, what's so hard about this?

>under very specific conditions our number is conveniently "100", which is arbitrarily better than "212"

at a little over 6000ft elevation water boils at a clean 200f, how about that?

>man made climate change
>scientific fact
data and evidence?

>standard unit of pressure
>very specific
You Americans are so illogical it's quite odd. Are you one of those "evangelicals" i keep hearing about?

>climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Good starting point, read the references as well.
let me know if you have anything to add once you've read it all.

>nasa.gov
top lmao

Attached: climate2.png (1065x635, 148K)

Yes everything is relative. That's why it's important to have easily memorised points of reference
>negative temperatures
There could be ice on the ground. Careful!
>positive three-digit temperatures
Wow, that's hot. Do not fucking touch!
>somewhere in-between
Ok, I'm x% of the way between freezing and boiling. I have a good idea of whether or not this is comfy/safe to touch/dangerous

compared to

>Below one arbitrary two-digit number
>above one arbitrary three-digit number
>how many gradations in-between?
>negative temperatures mean nothing

40% of the world's population live in coastal areas and mean sea level is approximately equal around the world (sufficiently so for these vernacular descriptions of temperature scales). What's so special about 6000 ft?

Attached: climate.jpg (2721x1950, 973K)

Attached: climate3.jpg (1537x2176, 1.09M)

>attacks one of the most reputable scientific organizations on the planet without even reading anything or even attempting to read or argue actual facts.

Go shitpost about the moon landing being fake as well you moron.

Attached: climate4.jpg (1891x4901, 992K)

>one of the most reputable scientific organizations on the planet
top lmao

Attached: climate3.png (829x493, 156K)

i fucking love science. right, morty?

The priest who raped you didn't put men on the moon.

whats so special about 0? nobody boils water 0 ft above the ocean. most people are at least 100-1000ft above, so its never going to be boiling at 100c

Why can't Americans just accept the truth?

good goy

212 F
2+1=3, 1+2=3
3*212=616
Fahrenheit is used on Hell's thermostat.

>not understanding the globalist's plans to boil the ocean
open your eyes

>3*212=616

Scientific units are Kelvin, where 0 is the absolute zero under which no temperature exists and room temperature is ~290K. Celsius on the other hand is very useful and linear measure just offsetted over Kelvin to make 0C freezing temp of water. While F make absolutely no sense and are there because americans were too insecure over their lack of culture and wanted something of their own. Not to mention that its scale is non-linear and can not be easily converted to scientific units => meaning your education makes young scientists handicapped by default.

jcronline.org/doi/full/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-16A-00005.1