Think of a scenarios where you would actually buy a laptop instead of a desktop

Think of a scenarios where you would actually buy a laptop instead of a desktop

Attached: 23A54E3E-4FBF-40E0-BF0D-630B706B4EBF.jpg (1750x1285, 237K)

I live in a shitty society where Apple laptops are a must/status symbol

Fuq

I need an "on-the-go" computer.

When you want to shitpost and watch cartoons from your bed.

to save electricity

If I was a normie that went places I would definitely get a laptop

I actually have a good one: testing a multiplayer game. It would be close to impossible to do this with one PC.

leaving mommy's basement

99% of most peoples’ activities.

Why would you need a desktop when a laptop suffices for most tasks and takes up significantly less space while consuming significantly less power?

You can upgrade specific parts on a desktop, while laptop you need to buy a whole new one to get up to date specs

When I needed to make sure that my system doesn't have any NSA backdoors, I'd get a thinkpad x200 and libreboot it. I'll probably do that just for fun anyway.

My laptop is still fine. I've never even had to consider getting a new one. Why do you need to waste money on "up to date" specs?

I've taken apart hundreds of laptops in my day.

I've seen so many fall apart and fail in stupid ways that I could never bring myself to buy one.

Attached: 1528072973393.jpg (500x513, 173K)

If you want a full blown OS instead of kindle or nook. A small form factor laptop would be nice.

I’m sure he was saying that because he play games on PC

God that is such an embarrassing thing to do.

Your job requires frequent travel

If you work or are at university a laptop makes way more sense.
If you play vidya then stick to your desktop.

I have a laptop with only half decent specs but it's lightweight & portable and I don't play games so it's perfect for me

I'm a self-employed consultant and I need to get shit done from home, at client sites, and remotely if I'm on vacation

I hate to be that guy but whats librebooting?
I know plenty about computer security and forensics but never come across that term.

some laptops can replace parts too (self-servicing laptop)
not sure if there are any on the market due to planned obsolescence

>librebooting
freedom bios

Libreboot is a free bios firmware replacement.

Kodin'

Last year during the cryptobubble I found a laptop with a 1070 for a grand even so I bought that instead of getting just that card for $700, now those gaymer lights actually look nice slid underneath my TV.

It was pretty damn useful while I was in university. Plus it's a must if you travel a lot and still need to do some work remotely.
Aside from that getting a laptop instead of a desktop is probably a stupid idea.

Not him, but
>hurr durr your hobby is bad
Go back to plebbit

I like being comfy and using my computer in bed

Sit near a peaceful pond with running water and do stuff while relaxing.

Lappys are god tier what are you tslking about?

Niggas still using late 2000's early 2010's laptops

2010 thinkpad is top tier with ssd and 8gigs ram

A lot of people these days threw out their towers in favor of laptops

Attached: 1547897410896.png (378x370, 120K)

they literally don't when it comes to the shell of the laptop. Plus i got mine for free

I was in the military and wanted to play games on deployment.
I’m at college and I need to be able to it with me to class

Don't know man, i fell for the meme and bought a x220 and the keyboard broke on its own and the msata slot holding the Wifi was easily broken when i swapped the card.

Kinda shit if you ask me.

see in other words, laptops are more flexible and about as good as desktops for the stuff you may wanna do besides games. i even run bunch of vms on mine.

The most stressful part of a pre deployment checklist was making sure Steam offline mode actually worked since most of the time games just did whatever the fuck they wanted.

Bad luck then. I have 220x that have had a very hard life 100% work

Keyboard is easily replaceable although you were dumb enough to break the wifi connector so I wouldn't trust you with the keyboard repair.

>I'm a flaming homosexual

Work
School
You travel a lot for work, school, family, fun
You hang out at a friends house more than your own
Do you not have a job, friends or life?

I have a 2016 macbook pro and I use it at my desk to run a 3840x2160 32 inch monitor and have no issues developing on it or using it on the go or doing browsing or word processing and having all my shit and 4 different browsers open at the same time. It think this computer will last me another 2 or 3 year (i have the last one before usb c)

i don't game though except for kerbal space which runs fine on this laptop

Having to carry my computer with me

where do you think we are

being a DJ

Attached: numark-mixtrack-proIII-hero-shot-xl.jpg (1800x900, 271K)

i change city/country at least once a year

I like getting comfy in bed and putting the covers over my head with my laptop, especially when it's cold becuase the lappy exhaust keeps me warm.
very comfy, especially when watching friend simulators on youtube.

Also only a single cable.

Imagine if you had a life and you left your room sometimes but you also needed to do something productive haha wouldn't that be weird

>even run bunch of vms on mine.
go ahead run 5 windows10 vms at the same time.

Attached: 5aLwORr.jpg (1500x884, 186K)

>not having a bathroom computer
>not having a garage computer
>not keeping your computer in the fridge

Attached: costanza.jpg (250x250, 18K)

If I need to type a lot. Although if we're being honest, the Google suite of office programs has come a long way and is more than capable for 99% of tasks. Pair that with being able to swipe text, I could easily get by with a good tablet. Unless you're a person who does typing for a living, or you need VM's/real time architectural while on the go, laptops aren't needed.

Asus is releasing a ChromeOS based tablet soon which is rugged-ized and has stupid long battery life. Eager to see how it really pans out.

No one actually needs this, this is a total meme idea that has taken over societal since tech became a fashion accessory. No one should actually need a laptop for anything, a quality reliable desktop and a smartphone is all anyone needs in 2019

you have a job and need to work in different places throughout the day

Do you remember what university was like?

How should i pack my desktop to class?

>Think of a scenarios where you would actually buy a laptop instead of a desktop
For work, I got flexible work hours and can continue from home

Attached: cookie_pig_planket_comfy.jpg (1125x1125, 203K)

>5 windows 10 vms
nobody does that. not even on desktops. maybe on servers but even then they use server editions of windows which isn't as bad as desktop one. also, nobody in academia use windows. well, not in cs at least.

In this case, you shouldn't as you remember things better when you write them by hand.

This is why hardware advancements were a mistake. It made people retarded.

That's what your smart phone is for. Not that user but 99% of college kids could literally use nothing but their phone, Google Drive, and Google office suite. Only people who need to do some serious VM work, compiling, etc.

Attached: 1517012750392.jpg (2000x2000, 1.48M)

To use on my lap

I use my ThinkPad as a desktop; it is connected an external IPS monitor, mouse and keyboard. I upgraded to an 4-core i5, 16GB of RAM and an SSD. If need be I can take it with me on the go. I develop software and this setup serves my purpose. I see no reason to buy a desktop computer unless I magically start needing to play AAA games or I magically start needing 8 cores and 64GB of RAM.

and that makes sense. you have an actual use case. Most people who get laptops (even worse when they get uber overpowered ones) just to take notes and browse facebook.

same, but i bought a $800 acer ultrabook and some pseudo-chad tried to give me shit for it, until I showed him it outperforms his $3000 fagbookpro. dude avoids me now, and even got a few of my other coworkers to buy the same.

how did you demonstrate it's performance?

compiled Gentoo inside of a VM while running Black Arch.

I generally meet with clients in cafes to show them my work or my work progress, transferring everything over from a desktop to my laptop would be a hassle and I'd risk something breaking or not working at the last minute. Working on a (docked) laptop and then bringing it to the cafe is just more convenient to me.

did you run the same task on his shiny toy?

lol I'm not even the user I was just shitposting. But showing off how "superior" their machine is compared to some Chad's apple is a generic Jow Forumsentooman's wet dream.

> clients
> cafes

You sound like a big shot fancy man

you sound like someone who rises up

I used pen and paper in college.

I run a 3-person software company with a former college mate and his wife, nothing fancy. We don't have an office, we work from home and meet up only when strictly necessary.

that is extremely rude

laptops are sleek as fuck
desktops are bloat

OP here, we compared on Premier Pro (both of us work as video editors) mine outperformed because it had 2gigs of dedicated graphics while the chadbook was integrated.

I work and it's convenient to have the same workstation at home that I use everywhere else

Moving to different countries for jobs. It's a hassle to carry around a desktop.

college life, why tf would I want two desktops, one at home and second in my flat. also my friends often come together to play shit like csgo. do i move my desktop every time I need a decent computer somewhere or do I buy a separate one for every place where i might ever need it? neither, I buy a good laptop.
btw, I love my desktop at home, everything gets done more efficiently on it than on a laptop.

Imagine being such a poorfag you can't buy a cheap Thinkpad and build a decent desktop PC.

t. Gamer

I'm not at home most of the day, and I'm on my bed the rest.

This.

A decent desktop can last you a long time if you're not a faggot who needs the latest rig for video games.

I'm from the New Orleans area. I've been using laptops at home exclusively since one or two days before Katrina made landfall (late August 2005). Up until that point I had been running an 11 system SETI farm at home.

Computers are powerful enough now that many people prefer a laptop. Almost nobody needs top end CPU / GPU performance, mobile is more than enough for 99% of people out there.

What are the actual reasons for buying a desktop assuming you're not in the 1% of computer owners who are hard core gamers or people crunching massive numbers and mining cryptos?

If I must live there I'll just have a Zenbook and bitten apple sticker

Bought a 2nd hand thinkpad for when i have to go interstate and do postgrad for a week at a time. Where's the problem?

why not use VMs

This

>not already having several dozen thinkpads you've collected on the cheap
they're black gold, just wait until WWIII hits and the supply of new computers grinds to a halt

Why don't you relocate from India? Everyone does that.

while taking a shit otherwise laptops suck, mostly

Sounds fucking rad