How long did your first full install take Jow Forums?

how long did your first full install take Jow Forums?

Attached: installgentoo.png (2000x2105, 308K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
cloveros.ga/
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1084198-highlight-clover.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm about to do it this weekend. What's the best guide around?

Something like 24 hours in total. My most recent installation took around 10 hours.
The gentoo x86_64 handbook?

is that from start to finish including compile times? How long did you spend at the computer itself?

Including compile times. A lot of the first time was just me REEEing at bugs due to not understanding/reading important handbook issues. Most of the time installing gentoo is just spent figuring out what you're going to do, how you're going to partition your disks, learning what portage profiles are, choosing kernel config options, etc. Actual time spent entering commands and modifying necessary configuration files is a minor part of the process. I could probably speedrun an installation in ~2/3 hours if I didnt run into any errors.

an afternoon to get everything set up (including compile times)

>What's the best guide around?
this one wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64

Must have been around a full day for my first one, just like 2nd one was around 16 hours but that's due to Core 2 Duo not being very fast.

Honestly my first one was on one of the 1.6ghz mobile core 2 duos in x61ts and it took days. On my 2600X it took like 4 hours or so to be looking at a desktop environment with all my essential shit installed

it was an x220 btw

gentoo: maybe 2-3 hours for a usable system, would have been less if using binary packages initially
for comparison here's some other distros/oses:
arch: 2-3 hours and multiple reinstalls due to bad instructions on wiki and encrypted disks not being treated properly
fedora netinst: 1 hour, mostly tracking down package names
fedora workstation: 30 mins
ubuntu workstation: 30 mins
windows 7: 1-2 hours with like 6 hours and dozens of reboots worth of updates
nixos: 15 minutes, with most of that being manually partitioning and formatting disks
alpine linux: like 5-10 minutes

1 hour on a relatively new ryzen

slackware was also like 1-2 hours
with slack/arch/gentoo the time required to read the (sometimes lengthy) install guide is included

does anyone have the lunduke attempt that he removed from youtube?

Attached: uptj1azk6fh11.jpg (720x716, 39K)

Like a full day taking into account compile times, and my attempts and configuring the kernel. If you use genkernel it would probably only take a couple of hours.

Maybe six hours. That's from booting the live CD and getting it to boot to a login with a working keyboard without a DE or anything yet. Nowadays I can install Gentoo in no more than an hour.

I'd say 3-4 hours, I was already decently proficient with luunix and I was used to compiling my kernel with my own config. my poor old pentium ran red hot.

I'm still using gentoo btw, portage is the best package manager available, and after using it for some time, everything else feels like a prison. The installation is fairly quick on my much newer hardware, too.

wget install.sh \
bash .

yeah very hard

2 weeks due to work and other commitments.

what is the reason for installing an OS with so many steps

its customized to your machine and therefore faster

Took about a day and a half, if I remember correctly. This was back in the early 00s, when I had a duron-800.

B.S in Mathematics been using Linux for 10+ years. Still can't get this shit running. I always fuck something up.

He's making it sound more complicated than it is.
The steps are pretty much the same as the steps for installing Arch, the only difference is that Gentoo doesn't make your choices for you (which doesn't make it any less straightforward).
Profiles are self explanatory (not that they're not explained in the handbook) and you don't have to configure the kernel manually if you rightfully don't give a fuck.
Not sure what "bugs" he's referring to, for most people Gentoo just works.

As for why you would use it, it boils down to flexibility, ease of use and freedom of choice.

Wrong.

Is testing ok for normal desktop use?

Actual installation wasn't that long. Perhaps 3h or so, including compilation.
But I spent two days overall reading the documentation.
Also, writing every USE flag (including and excludign) into /etc/portage/make.conf because I was dumb and didn't quite understand portage at the time.

Attached: 1350278704718.png (612x369, 135K)

probably, but there's no reason to make everything testing anyway
gentoo allows mixing branches, so just enable testing for packages you want to be bleeding edge

took me one day (just waiting for compiling).

It's not hard at all to install, it's just a meme

it took 8+ hours before I gave up and installed arch

almost a day but my cpu is almost 11 years old. you should be fine

I find a lot of makefiles don't actually parallelise well, and a lot of the time my rig ends up doing single-core builds even with -j8 in my make opts.

Google "recursive make considered harmful" for talk about this shit. Hopefully, it's a problem that's being improved.

DO
NOT
USE A desktop PROFILE
JUST DON'T. IT'S FASTER TO CHOOSE BETWEEN GTK OR QT AND STICK TO IT. ADD USE FLAGS LATER OF A NECESSITY DEMANDS

Attached: 1866568404.png (670x670, 38K)

the fuck are you on about?
there's no such thing as "gtk" or "qt" profiles

this one, good luck

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 9K)

t. brainlet

took a week between trying to implement my own steps in and understanding what the heck

one week back in 2005

you're wrong. it's better to use the desktop profile because in the long run you won't have to compile additional things in the future. quit being an impacient fuck

Including compiling maybe three four hours. I don't have a particularly good computer but you should know what to get as binary and what as source.

>mostly tracking down package names
I fucking hate this, never understood why packages don't have the same name everywhere

Took a solid 10 hours to get it booted, but my ethernet does not work. I'm suspecting it's due to my manual kernel gone awry. Still looking to fix as this was yesterday. A solid 3-4 hours was waiting for the profile to compile. I thought gnome was a good idea coming from Ubuntu and picked the systemd-less gnome one... Giving it another shot tomorrow with the desktop profile and a gen kernel.

Tips to make it compile faster?

You should allocate them an UUID or come up with some XML to uniquely describe them all.

Maybe also replace all natural languages with Ithkuil when you're at it.

kek, first year undergrad I installed it in a virtual machine without xorg but is not worth it, just use a normal fucking distro that doesn't need compiling like debian or fedora

Modern desktop CPU and SSD and enough RAM, it'll pretty much get any compiles other than bloat browsers and a select few more packages done quickly.

Or use smaller software and maybe just -O2.

You could also use the full llvm / clang / libcpp / lld tooling if you know your package.env or at least learn how to use it with CloverOS or the docs as an example.

I'm too adhd to wait for everything to compile

Do CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS really make a major difference in compile time?

Yes, because they control what the compiler does. They also can break the compiles.

You don't really wait, you use your software while it installs/updates, which will anyhow be quick if you're not using some ancient potato.

About a day because I installed it on my 330 MHz Pentium 2 Thinkpad that took almost an hour just to compile the kernel. Xorg took several hours.

Attached: 1428679140242.png (304x359, 42K)

do something non cpu intensive on the computer while it compiles or better yet, go outside and walk the earth

4 hours for my first attempt, but I screwed that up so I had to do it again which took another 4 hours

I'm a brainlet and swapped libressl in, really regretting it, heaps of blockages and errors. I have to make the switch back but I'm too much of a beginner to wrangle with all the package.mask shit, so my equery list just keeps growing like a computing portrait of dorian gray

Took me 3 attempts, final attempt was 10 hours including compile time

Interesting

I installed it over the course of an entire weekend. Now I can do it all from memory though

disable all the shit you don't need
keep your system minimal

5 minutes
cloveros.ga/

Doesn't count

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1084198-highlight-clover.html

>Ryzen 7 1700
My first real attempt took about 2 -3 hours, including compile time. I had to retry it about 3 or 4 times because I couldn't figure out how to get my multihead to work (5M) otherwise I would've been fine on my first attempt.
>Thinkpad T420
took about a day of compiling everything, including all my required packages.
>Raspberry Pi 3B v1.2
I compiled the kernel on my Ryzen 7, but everything else I compiled on my pi. It took about 50 or 60 hours in total. All I have left to compile is qutebrowser and mumble, but I can't get those to compile even through chroot. So, I'm restarting after I finish up class work.