Why don't you build your own computer?

Why don't you build your own computer?
No, putting legos together and installing Linux/Windows is not building your own computer, writing your own kernel/OS and designing the whole computer is.

youtube.com/watch?v=ayh0qebfD2g

Attached: file.png (744x496, 610K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eater.net/8bit
megaprocessor.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=1hnugUycDqA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I will just leave this here
eater.net/8bit

That guy is a fucking retard

Wrong. Making current kernel and corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components work on hardware you designed is better.

>2019
>Using transistors
>Not superior vacuum tubes
May as well just buy a fucking ipad you brainlet.

>4 core 64-bit Cortex is too compilcated
>let's just ignore the very comprehensible middle step of 1 core 32-bit Cortex and jump directly to child toy

>2019
>recommending vacuum tubes
>not godlike relay
May as well just buy a fucking tube amp you brainlet.

Based click-clack poster.

This is now simply beyond reach.

Even if there were components powerful enough to run Crisis and such, someone would still have to port them to their custom architecture.

Even if the architecture was the same, the memory mappings and stuff would still require custom drivers and recoding.

Then, you would have to do it for all famous and necessary programs, or roll your own. Either way, immense work.

So this is it for the hobbyists. Just make a computer about as powerful as a PSX and you would have achieved the summer dream of every hobbyist out there.

>did not even see the video

i mean i don't know, do you make your own food?
How about your own clothes?
Your your own house?
Your own funiture?
No, people do that shit for you(as long as you pay them) because we live in a society

I actually have been wanting to do this for years. I was going to build it off a 6502 but not sure if I should do a z80 system.

I'm sure you run Windows and let others sell you their software too. GG

People don't claim to make their clothes whereas countless faggots claim to "build" their computers

based schizoposter
get some arguments you tinfoil hat fucker

You go into a food board, people actually grow their own food.
You go into a diy board, people actually make their own furniture.
You go into a technology board, people shit on you for doing technology related things

You can't make this shit up.

they post about putting together Legos while saying how dumb 8bit guy is in another thread
it's amazing

For my high school graduation project I made an 8bit ALU with my own machine code, documenting every part of it, if theres any interest I can dump it here, its in Dutch though

I highly recommend it, it's a fun project and a good starting point to getting a complete concept how a computer works from a very low level

Jow Forums is the official consumerism board, there's 1 programmer for every 100 people looking for purchasing advice

Print your own circuit boards using copper you mined yourself or gtfo

>there's 1 programmer for every 100 people looking for purchasing advice
... and no hardware guys at all. Oh, you can all spout specs alright. But do you actually know what they mean? Do you understand what the implications of the specs are and the stuff they don't tell you?
That's why Jow Forums is a farce.

good luck building your own motherboard, cpu, ram and everything else from scratch

create your own electricity from scratch or BTFO

LOL the video is Fatty Fartblaster builds a retro computer because they are having some kind of midlife crisis

>>>>

hardware engineer here. I dont post too much though, as there are not many interesting posts that allow for discussion.

megaprocessor.com/

There's a madman who actually did exactly this, he designed it as an educational tool to illustrate how CPUs work and he donated the machine to a computing museum

No, plugging a Z80 and SRAM chip into a breadboard is not any more "building your own computer" than putting together x86 components is you fucking nufaggot.

we're not at the 80s anymore
/thread

Is it possible to make an amplifier using relays? Friend is asking...

You could do PWM or a ADC-DAC system.

>/ck/
>people making their own food
Fucking lol.
It's a fast food and booze board.

arduous process for the sake of wasting time reinventing the wheel

kek, thanks

Can you help me out? Whats the difference between an emulator and a virtual machine? In essence they seem about the same to me.

why would i? who gives a shit. if this is some masturbation about privacy the feds will easily break into anything you shit out in your basement

Hey learn 2+ years of C / C++, assembly, general operating systems and kernel programming, and computer architectural design it's easy as building legos bro!

You did that for your high school graduation project? That is super impressive. That is someone I would expect someone to do for a college level coarse. Did you just teach yourself about digital logic and computer architecture or did you have any learning resources at your school? What did you use for building the ALU, an FPGA or 8400 logic chips? Please do post your project, it sounds awesome!

Attached: 1548692013557.jpg (699x570, 37K)

>You need to enable JavaScript to view this site.

Meanwhile Jow Forums shits on poos, they make their own computers.
youtube.com/watch?v=1hnugUycDqA

>You did that for your high school graduation project? That is super impressive. That is someone I would expect someone to do for a college level coarse.
Let me guess, "t. from USA"?

> cumpootahs r all abowt gaymen durr

Oh boy, here we go with the whole "America's higher education system is shit meme" spouted by some butt hurt europoor or third worlder. You know, the higher education system that is world renowned, enrolls the most internal students of any educational system, and is responsible for educating the country that has produced more Nobel Laureates than any other country. Why yes, I am American. Please proceed to tell me how our higher education system is shit because I was impressed by someone making a fully fledged ALU for a high school project rather than in a first year or second year college class.

Attached: implying_I_give_a_fuck.jpg (407x407, 33K)

Shit, I really touched a nerve there.

Not as much as your inferiority complex and jealousy of a country that completely dwarfs your shit hole obviously bothers you.

Personally I’m too brainlet. I do wish I was smart enough to make my own kernel. Trannys would be banned from my kernel.

Because I don't need to reinvent the fucking wheel

No can do dude. Ahead of US in every meaningful chart. Without any SJW/multiculturalism shit and no black people.
Lards can cope as much as they want, the sole reason I make fun of you.

It's obvious by the amount of text and dedication you put into your previous post though, you're extremely bothered by where you stand, so much defensive coping and seething.

Attached: 1537511594585.png (500x424, 286K)

Kek. Sure thing kid, what ever you need to tell yourself.

Who are you even talking to?

Attached: 1537170581104.png (463x492, 179K)

Christ, this thread is an absolute disgrace. Wish there was still a board for people who like playing around with technology and trying new things, not just 24/7 tech support for /v/.

I tried building a 6502 computer a while back, with custom PCBs and everything. But I realized only after I had sent off the board designs that I had fucked up and part of it just wouldn't work. Nothing critical, but it still kind of killed my motivation to work on it, and I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. Might try again in a few months, but with a simpler design most likely.

unironically yes on all

93 downvotes since this thread was created.
Jow Forums must really hate this guy

I'm planning to make a 68000 clone in verilog and get that shit up and running on an FPGA. Originally, I was just gonna buy the processor, some memory and a VGA driver, but you can't even buy 68000 processors anymore. I guess that project is gonna be more involved than I expected.

you could, but it would take a lot of other components to make it work. Certainly not as straightforward as a diff amp and a class AB output stage with a few transistors.

>but you can't even buy 68000 processors anymore
Can't imagine it's hard to just pick one up off of eBay or a similar site.

I was hoping there was new ones around. There's still 8051s and Z80s being made, so it was surprising to see 68000 being pretty much dead.

Unless your willing to make a shovel and pick out of stones and sticks you found in a forest, mine for clay, precious metals, silicon, and oil for plastics, melt it in a forge and pour at a near-microscopic level to make your own hardware, and build a complex power grid to support it all, I dont want to talk to you, corporate scum.

>we live in a society
stopped reading right there.

>but you can't even buy 68000 processors anymore.
But you can? They are still used in embedded applications, I think even low power '020 are available.
I think it's the DIP ones that are rarer but you can buy NOS of that for 10 bucks a pop.

I mean that’s a pretty good place to stop reading, y’know, being the end of the post and all

Attached: 1550074014974.png (587x600, 475K)

>Hating meme countries

>2019
>recommending Relay construction
>Not building antikythera mechanisms from bronze
May as well just KYS

Holy shit what the fuck is up with websites not loading AT ALL without javascript. If you're a webshit and you do this, you need to be tried for your warcrimes and fucking executed. What the fuck is wrong with you absolute retards. Drink bleach, cyanide, neck yourself I don't care. I will travel back in time to get hitler and tell him you're all jews.

My god I hate webshitters so goddamn much.

When you give it some thought, it makes a decent bit of sense. The 8051 and Z80 are both absolutely dead simple and very hard to displace because of that, while if you need a more complex 32-bit system there are a lot more options to choose from nowadays like the Cortex M series that are generally simpler and also not hampered by some of the long outdated considerations and financial restrictions that shaped the 68000.

I do think is right though, there might still be some 68000-based microcontrollers out there, just not ones you can easily breadboard or otherwise work with on your home workbench. But I'd just go snag an old DIP chip off of eBay or something else, it's not like they're terribly expensive or you're buying something with tons of fragile moving parts to break or failure points in general.

Have fun fucking around with it, the 68000 always seemed like a pretty neat processor from many technical and historical angles.

I think the new 68000 are quite tiny SMD components though. But you can probably find PCB breakouts with pins for them.

Yeah, I definitely think you're right. standard DIP packages are a little bulky for something of that caliber nowadays.

yes
no
yes
yes
>tfw sitting on a comfy couch in my cozy house with a full belly
>completely naked